Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The reason he doesn't like food with red pepper is because one of them cream crackered his big bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
DiU's average animation quality, not to mention the quality of editing and creativity of shots, is noticeably better than SDC so far.

Are we already in rose-tinted glasses territory for SDC?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Uh, what?

1.) SDC still sold really well, it just didn't do absolute gangbusters like the very first BDs of Phantom Blood did

2.) DiU is animated at least as well as SDC was, if not better

3.) Anime success is based on a whole hell of a lot more than just BD sales, most notably including merch and manga sales and in that regard Jojo is doing really well

4.) The effect of budget on anime production is wildly, wildly overstated. Especially in this case, funding would not just vanish between seasons like that. If it were that unprofitable, it'd just be cancelled.

Agreed, on the last point in particular. One Punch Man, probably the best animated show of last cour, had a surprisingly modest budget. But the studio made it work, because they just were really passionate about the material, and wanted to do it justice. I can't see DavidPro not putting their heart and soul into JoJo, it's in good hands.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

IronicDongz posted:

DiU's average animation quality, not to mention the quality of editing and creativity of shots, is noticeably better than SDC so far.

Are we already in rose-tinted glasses territory for SDC?

To be fair, there's a difference between overall art quality and animation quality - it moved alright in motion, even if everything was wildly off-model and made for hideous freeze frames. It was the first time DavidPro ever worked on a show that was more than two cours, so odds are they weren't prepared for the workload and the Dio's World eps ended up being finished close to or even on their airing date. Could've been much worse than it ended up being though, as in, still frames galore making the fight really stilted and confusing to follow (I call that the Attack on Titan effect)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Those are particularly bad examples of QUALITY in all fairness.
I think Diamond is Unbreakable's artstyle for its characters is a lot less noisy, so to speak, which serves it well when it comes to further distance shots in comparison to SDC's which was kinda messy, especially facially.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything does (or should) get fixed up for the BD release anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Everything does (or should) get fixed up for the BD release anyway.

The Koichi Brando from the first image didn't, The third image did if I recall. I can't place the second to say either way.

e:
It wasn't fixed up that much.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I keep telling you Koichi is powerful, he's so powerful he cameoed as the main antagonist of part 3.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

To be fair, there's a difference between overall art quality and animation quality - it moved alright in motion, even if everything was wildly off-model and made for hideous freeze frames. It was the first time DavidPro ever worked on a show that was more than two cours, so odds are they weren't prepared for the workload and the Dio's World eps ended up being finished close to or even on their airing date. Could've been much worse than it ended up being though, as in, still frames galore making the fight really stilted and confusing to follow (I call that the Attack on Titan effect)

DIO in the last few episodes looked weird in motion too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dias posted:

I keep telling you Koichi is powerful, he's so powerful he cameoed as the main antagonist of part 3.

I didn't think I'd need to remember

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I didn't think I'd need to remember

Do you remember how many erasers you've eaten in your life?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dias posted:

Do you remember how many erasers you've eaten in your life?

yes, i can confidently say that is a far easier metric to keep track of than bread

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do you remember how many feeling so complicated????

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

yes, i can confidently say that is a far easier metric to keep track of than bread

that just means you're not on koichi's level, pleb

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Do you remember how many feeling so complicated????

While I understand why the Duwangisms were excised from the Crunchyroll subs, I really missed them so far. :smith:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Why is Koichi so tall here

e: someone already made this joke

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ha ha I forgot about this.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

From here
http://bpnavi.jp/s/toru/sp/prizes/36655

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Even though I enjoy spicy food, sometimes that mild box of Vermont Curry with Apple and honey is good. Okuyasu is good. JoJo is good.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I'm the kind of person that never tones down spiciness when I cook, and it warms my heart when people say "I don't usually like spicy things, but this is really good!". To see Oku enjoy spicy food for the first time is a joy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a hot new spicy jojo meme

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not dio's dick

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there one of josuke scrubbing awkward koichi

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wrong thread.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 6, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This is the anime thread, friend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You're either saying spoilers or this is the wrong anime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My mistake; I got my tabs crossed. This isn't the thread I meant to post in.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Unless I misread, these run until a week or two before I visit Tokyo. Life is hell.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy crap that was a great episode.
I love that this time the stand user ended up just being a nice guy that was really passionate about making quality food.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My fav part was when Smash Mouth ate the italian.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It still kind of surprises me how we had two parts that involved hamon and vampires and then for the rest of the parts, it's all Stands.

I do hope that we get every part animated though but to be honest I think part 4 is my favorite because it's literally scooby Jojo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

It still kind of surprises me how we had two parts that involved hamon and vampires and then for the rest of the parts, it's all Stands.

I do hope that we get every part animated though but to be honest I think part 4 is my favorite because it's literally scooby Jojo.

The problem is hamon and vampires are kind of a dead end. We were already seeing power creep going from vampire to ancient Aztec double vampires. And hamon while having some neat tricks, kind of dictates the enemy has to be undead or what's the point?

Stands, in contrast, are completely wide open, all it means is a guy has a power. You can have your story be about literally anything, as long as it involves superpowers. SDC is a globetrotting quest, where the gang fights in a magic boat, has a fight in their dreams, fights inside Joseph's brain, fights a sentient mind control sword, and even fight by betting their souls on video games. And now in DiU, we have a story about a sleepy town where maybe 1 in 1000 people have magic powers, and most of the "fights" aren't even related to the central bad guy. We're just running into people and getting in little adventures, no grand world-destroying threat or ancient enemy of your bloodline, just a creeper at school or suspicious spaghetti.

I've said it before, but what makes JoJo really special is Araki is never afraid to change it or try new things. It grows as Araki grows, and the parts give him a roughly clean slate to explore new themes and tone. Learning to love JoJo is learning to love change, and it's really rare you get that in one continuous series.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
!!! I just remembered something very important !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnjm9MU7pY

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

I shouldn't have watched this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

The problem is hamon and vampires are kind of a dead end. We were already seeing power creep going from vampire to ancient Aztec double vampires. And hamon while having some neat tricks, kind of dictates the enemy has to be undead or what's the point?

I remember Araki saying something in one of those little asides about how he wanted to avoid the DBZ problem by focusing more on the character and their motivation more than the next guy's power being even higher than the previous one ad nauseam and that was a pretty good way to take things, to be fair.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

horriblePencilist posted:

Oh my goodness gracious.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki basically went from 0 to 100 between phantom blood and battle tendency with the whole 'well these are super ancient flesh wizards that eat vampires as food' thing and from there there's really not much room to expand beyond 'one of them conquered the burn of sunlight and became the ultimate lifeform who was actually impossible to kill'.

that and hamon was a sort of boring jack of all trades energy thing that, if given a lot of fleshing out could have become its own thing over time i'm fairly sure, but the series as we know it would not be jojo's bizarre adventure and i feel it wouldn't have become as popular as it did. stands are here to stay. i won't say that absolutely 100% of everything is handled with stands from part 3 onwards, but a vast majority of it is.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Are the huge shoulders a stylistic thing only for parts including and up to SDC, or did David Production take it out for DiU? I can't tell if that's why everything looks better to me in DiU.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Willsun posted:

Are the huge shoulders a stylistic thing only for parts including and up to SDC, or did David Production take it out for DiU? I can't tell if that's why everything looks better to me in DiU.

it's not a davidpro thing, they're just being accurate to how araki's art style evolved as the manga went on

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Johnny Joestar posted:

araki basically went from 0 to 100 between phantom blood and battle tendency with the whole 'well these are super ancient flesh wizards that eat vampires as food' thing and from there there's really not much room to expand beyond 'one of them conquered the burn of sunlight and became the ultimate lifeform who was actually impossible to kill'.

that and hamon was a sort of boring jack of all trades energy thing that, if given a lot of fleshing out could have become its own thing over time i'm fairly sure, but the series as we know it would not be jojo's bizarre adventure and i feel it wouldn't have become as popular as it did. stands are here to stay. i won't say that absolutely 100% of everything is handled with stands from part 3 onwards, but a vast majority of it is.

Well if you had Hamon evolve into Stands, you've basically got nen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Willsun posted:

I think they were present early on, but this was the part that Araki stopped using them

• Locked thread