Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Okay it's been six hours, is this game good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Bold Robot posted:

I can't tell which Steam and Metacritic votes are bad-game or mad at them for not modeling full scale genocide.

Democrazy posted:

I play with a touchpad :(

Do y'alls touchpads not have two-finger scroll or pinch-to-zoom or whatever?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

UncleSmoothie posted:

Ok, if you're a saddo like me that's obsessed with ahistorically preserving Republican Spain, know that the Spanish Civil War has a lot of dice rolls.

Do the Republicans get Spain's only 2-skill general? How many divisions stay loyal? How many divisions of "volunteers" do the Soviets send to help? All dice rolls. If you get screwed, reload.

Well, I got the 2-skill general, and I think I got a fair few divisions ( did kind of game the system and gather up the entire army in Valencia. I've not yet seen any volunteers from Uncle Joe (but none either from the Axis - to be fair, the Rhineland stayed demilitarised, so perhaps Herr Schickelgruber might not bee feeling too fighty). To be fair, I almost immediately saved and quit once that happened. To decide what to do next

So I guess it's not too bad, right?

I mean I have kind of an anemic air force, my supply situation for the infantry is...not great and I've probably wasted a bit too much valuable research time on tanks (which I can't build) and a superior firepower doctrine (which won't be ready until the war ends). I'm kind of bad at this. It's my first day!

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Just played a republican Spain game in ironman for the achievement, the game is good but I gotta say that the AI seems very easy to encircle on regular, but that might just be a product of the why the front line works in Spain. Also it's very silly that volunteer divisions can have commanders from their native country, also that Japan sends divisions to Spain.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm 96% fascist, when will the event fire for a civil war in a no elections nation?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Whats a recommended nation to play for beginners, big or small? I've played some HOI3 but that was years ago.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Popete posted:

Whats a recommended nation to play for beginners, big or small? I've played some HOI3 but that was years ago.

Poland!

:getin:

But really, look at history. Who did the best in WW2?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Popete posted:

Spain was fun and not too hard

it's basically tutorial peninsula

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Fuuuck the USSR is flooding the Spanish Civil War with volunteers, including light tanks, and Germany is refusing to pull their weight. Now my three Italian light tank divisions either face disbandment and 75% equipment losses, or total destruction when the international brigades finally conquer Barcelona.

Part of me loves them for stomping fascists :getin:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

America lost the Panama Canal. Gotta love that two-ocean navy! :911:

Illuminatus
Mar 25, 2008

FNORD

insomne posted:

Anyone know what ticking "Use NATO Symbols" in the options does?

I learned those symbols playing Panzer Blitz https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanzerBlitz forever ago. Bought all the unit animations for HOI3 and never used them using the NATO symbols instead. Can't play HOI with out the old school Panzer Blitz cardboard chits.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm 96% fascist, when will the event fire for a civil war in a no elections nation?

With the ones I've seen, which I think have only been Democratic to Communist, it triggers around 50%. If you've hit 96% then maybe it doesn't trigger with a fascist countries at all.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Anyone discovered any interesting static modifiers yet? EU4 and CK2 had lots, I remember HOI3 also having quite a bit, there don't appear to be that many in this one.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Civil war fired, India split in two, all my units are in the small part of India that is not connected to Delhi, so they have no suply :shepicide:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ofaloaf posted:

Bugged in what way?

Its a new TAG so it starts with 0 units

Also does not get any colonial holdings

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Is there a way to cancel certain exports? All my American steel got dibs'ed by central/south america before all the 'you can actually build stuff now' triggers went off. Besides a Trade Law change.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

It's decidedly less of a disaster than I expected after the streams. No glaring AI issues so far, although the battle plan system is not nearly as clever as it thinks it is. But anyone whining about how the old OOB system of HoI3 was better is an idiot, the new system can do anything the old system did but in a way you can actually understand what is going on. Some graphical and audio issues. Sometimes the pictograms overlap and you can't select your units properly, which makes it difficult when you want to find out that single division that is still battering its head against the invincible line of forts and tell it to stop.

I really like that they spent time on making sure there are actual choices to be made. As France I am constantly feeling like I am barely holding things together. Early war saw a massive fighter crisis as I lost hundreds of fighters each week to just enemy bombers defending themselves. Now I have a new version of my fighter entering service and losses have gone down significantly, although I think that may partially be because the Germans are also running low on planes. Currently debating if I want to add an AT company to my infantry divisions to deal with German tanks, or if I want to go for TDs in my mobile divisions to meet the Panzers head on. I really don't have the industrial capacity for either, and my tanks are outdated and I won't research the mediums in time and I can't afford to upgrade them anyway and my airforce is barely pulling its weight and I'm out of manpower and the Italians are pushing...

The National Focus trees need to get a loooooooot deeper if they want to keep them going for the entire war. It's January 1940 and I have almost everything I need. I guess I'll spend a year on the air focuses and then another year on the Navy, but that is make work. Neither of them are vital. Maybe France is a special case because it's difficult to say what a democratic France would have done if they hadn't been shitcanned in 1940.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gamerofthegame posted:

lol this is the second game in a row (stellaris) where you literally cannot zoom in and out if you don't have a scroll wheel

Oh god no. I really wanted this game, but that rules it out for me, unless it gets fixed in a patch.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

wukkar posted:

Is there a way to cancel certain exports? All my American steel got dibs'ed by central/south america before all the 'you can actually build stuff now' triggers went off. Besides a Trade Law change.

You need to change your economy type to limit exports or war economy

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Welp, my France game ended early...and basically at the same time as history.. I was doing fine, and managed to push the Italians out of Northern Italy, Africa, and Sicily. But then of course the Germans finished off Poland, Netherlands, and Belgium, and my border with Germany was basically too large for me to defend against the horde.

Game is super great, even in crushing defeat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Finished my first session as Historical Soviet Union. You basically have limitless resources except for rubber, which is easy enough to trade for from the Netherlands early and Britain later.

I decided to break history a bit and puppet Finland so I don't have to worry about them going Axis later. Now the Germans and I are staring at each other across the border and it's 1941. poo poo's about to go down.

I definitely feel strained in the research department. Keeping up with infantry, industry, doctrines, anti-tank, artillery, AAA, planes (even just one type), more doctrines, research machines, RADAR, and support brigades is nigh-impossible. Maybe it's easier as a power that starts with more than 3 research slots, but it really feels like you're going to have to pick and choose.

One gripe I have is that medium tanks are basically just a development of light tanks, but you still have to replace the light tanks in your divisions at great cost in XP, and will likely have Frankensteins Division of half-and-half for a long time. Meanwhile the shed with tracks that is the early heavy tank is exactly the same thing as an IS-2 as far as XP is concerned. Take my advice and don't add light tanks to your divisions.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

Game is super great, even in crushing defeat.
moahaha :D

Oh dear me posted:

Oh god no. I really wanted this game, but that rules it out for me, unless it gets fixed in a patch.
yeah we'll add some shortcuts for the first patch. but honestly, how can you not have a scroll-wheel on your mouse, thats just madness.

Gort posted:

One gripe I have is that medium tanks are basically just a development of light tanks, but you still have to replace the light tanks in your divisions at great cost in XP, and will likely have Frankensteins Division of half-and-half for a long time.
dunno, I quote often have a mix during transition (switch out a battalion at a time let you make new divisions as lights get cycled back in storage). Its basically how it was done historically too (but usually you couldnt produce enough to completely fill things up)

podcat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ive found a problem

The pacific is broken because I cant island hop because I cant launch naval invasions without line of sight.

So my marines are sitting around doing nothing despite an entire carrier fleet and aircraft flying over the Line Islands not giving "intel"

Also japan never expands in the pacific

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You are doing something wrong if you are building tanks anyway.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wow, this game is information overload. Started a game as Yugoslavia and had no idea where to start.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Ive found a problem

The pacific is broken because I cant island hop because I cant launch naval invasions without line of sight.

So my marines are sitting around doing nothing despite an entire carrier fleet and aircraft flying over the Line Islands not giving "intel"

Also japan never expands in the pacific

the intel requirement is talking about the naval strategic areas you need to go through, not if you can see whats on the island or not. put ships on patrol and planes on air sup and you should get enough. you can also have radar (but thats a bit effort on small islands)

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wow, this game is information overload. Started a game as Yugoslavia and had no idea where to start.

do tutorial tbh. but a solid rule for all paradox games is to go through all alerts one by one as a start point

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

podcat posted:

do tutorial tbh. but a solid rule for all paradox games is to go through all alerts one by one as a start point

The tutorial isn't Hitler anymore, is it?

Clicking some of the alerts wasn't doing anything/bringing me to the industry screen with no idea of what it wanted me to do in there.

EDIT: Gonna give the tutorial a shot. Any tips for what to do as Yugoslavia in 1936 when I finish? I'd like to give them an actual shot.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 6, 2016

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Did a quick Ahistorical USSR game, successfully did not purge, but Germany stabbed me in the back, cancelled the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, and kicked my tail all the way to Moscow by early 1940.

I... guess it helped the Allies just stood there and went "welp, yep, you two guys fight!"

(i was building tanks, that was my mistake)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Clicking some of the alerts wasn't doing anything/bringing me to the industry screen with no idea of what it wanted me to do in there.

EDIT: Gonna give the tutorial a shot. Any tips for what to do as Yugoslavia in 1936 when I finish? I'd like to give them an actual shot.

Tutorial doesn't tell you everything but it does tell you how to do battle plans and move guys around. And no it's no longer Hitler.

but don't worry if you got not enough hitler Steam Workshop has you covered...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DDRJake's tutorial series on things like construction/air plans/battle plans etc are pretty good.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Am I a nazi if I install a realistic Nazi flag mod, I just want a realistic flag :-(

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So, no joke, literally don't build tanks and just go for massed infantry and air?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
No I am making fun of my red text. It is all very situational but if you can afford it you want tanks.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Drone posted:

So remember how I said poo poo was really historical?

Went fine up until spring 1940. USSR wars Finland. Finland joins the Allies. USSR at war with the Allies.

Edit: Rome just fell to UK landings in spring of 1940. You guys really need to dial back on landings a bit.

Actually not a long way from what very nearly happened: My grandfather and elements of his light infantry division were under orders to sail from Iceland to Finland as an expeditionary force just before the Finns settled with the Russians. With a player messing up timelines you'll get bigger variations than that in most games.

I spent this evening playing as Germany then Poland. As Germany I constantly missed alerts about idle factories and found that I couldn't withdraw my volunteers from Spain, so they got murdered in the last port nationalist Spain had. Goodbye, armoured divisions.

Poland seemed surprisingly powerful with the free dlc decisions. Both, however, left me struggling to balance output when forming divisions: I always seemed to have huge stockpiles of one thing or another amassing when I remembered to check, and balancing output of equipment when building different templates simultaneously (e.g. Infantry, armoured and motorised) even more micromanagement than the old production sliders. Fun, but a work in progress.

The battle plan feature simply didn't work for clicking on borders: everything would then pile into one province, meaning I had to manually draw the front line following the border. And when you add new divisions to a front they sit there, clueless, until you delete the old plans and recreate them. I assume that there's a better way but it's impressively obfuscated.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Gail Wynand posted:

Am I a nazi if I install a realistic Nazi flag mod, I just want a realistic flag :-(

You're probably okay as long as you don't leave a comment on whatever flag mod you subscribed to either condemning the inaccuracy of said flag or something like "14/88 ;)".

Probably.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hahaha my first game as Ireland is going great. Went Commie, joined the Comintern, once WW2 broke out declared on the UK to get back Norn Iron. We swept into Belfast without too much trouble; Monty came over with a single Infantry division but didn't have time to get situated so we pushed them out. Both sides immediately brought in all our friends, of course, so it's a full on Soviet-Allied slugfest. So I just checked the warscreen about eight months in:

• Irish casualties: 485 brave sons of Ireland
  • Sino and Soviet casualties: 270k
  • Allied casualties: 460k
  • Almost 3/4 of a million dead and wounded because of Ireland

:laffo: keep fighting suckers, Ireland will emerge from this ruined world and be supreme. :ireland:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a more detailed breakdown of naval losses over time?

Is there a way to see how my fighters natch up to enemy fighters?

How do I scrap obsolete aircraft?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Does anybody have any advice for France? I'd like to join the Allies and stick with Britain if possible, which means I can't really use the communist France stream as a model. I'm probably going to play on easy difficulty since this is my first real attempt at playing Hearts of Iron IV (I gave HoI 3 a few hours and found it entirely baffling), but some starting advice would be nice anyway. One thing I'm worried about in particular is that I've seen Nationalist Spain join the Axis and suddenly open up a southern front in France a lot in streams, but it seems like there isn't any way to help the Republicans unless you're Communist. So I'm not sure what my strategy there should be beyond just pray the Republicans win for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Vichan posted:

I was playing ironman, I didn't get any achievements though.. :(

Same, I joined the Axis twice as Canada, no pop up.

Checksum is 8899