Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Locking away resources in a game that supposedly encourages using resources to make Nice Stuff because there are plenty of options to make Nice Stuff is p.dumb and demanding that you risk having your resources stolen to deny making Nice Stuff by other players and having zero anti cheat to defend yourself is also p.dumb. And being at risk 24/7 even when you're not online is p.dumb

Just because an external program can circumvent the problem doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered a Thing Dragging A Game Down. I can mod women in oblivion to look like anime babes instead of potatoes it doesn't mean the potato spud people can't be a thing dragging oblivion down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

You could always use the micro transaction that let's you pay real money to protect yourself from invasions.

Literally multiplayer insurance.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Leal posted:

Locking away resources in a game that supposedly encourages using resources to make Nice Stuff because there are plenty of options to make Nice Stuff is p.dumb and demanding that you risk having your resources stolen to deny making Nice Stuff by other players and having zero anti cheat to defend yourself is also p.dumb. And being at risk 24/7 even when you're not online is p.dumb

Just because an external program can circumvent the problem doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered a Thing Dragging A Game Down. I can mod women in oblivion to look like anime babes instead of potatoes it doesn't mean the potato spud people can't be a thing dragging oblivion down

You could always just ignore it as it doesn't really matter, like at all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MiddleOne posted:

yeah. it's dumb having it happen and gently caress spending any real money on the game for insurance or expanding fobs, but i've gotten used to just skipping all the lovely updates. near the endgame you're usually awash with a++ - s rank soldiers so losing a handful here and there is whatever.

if it's discouraging you from playing the game, that sucks but i've quit games for stupider reasons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
You can ignore it pretty easily, you're not all that likely to get invaded unless you do a lot of invading yourself but it's just a dumb mechanic. Especially the part where they patched in forcing half of your resources to require you to be online just because gently caress you not enough people were playing our FoB system, and instead of making it fun we'll force them to use it. Like someone else suggested, if you're on PC just go offline if it's that big a concern and use cheat engine because gently caress it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MiddleOne posted:

But... I can't ignore the potato faces. Right, Brielus?

Please do not tell me about the horses. Please leave.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing through Phantom Pain right now and I was also worried about the FOB bullshit, like losing materials and soldiers. But after booting the bullet and going with it, it's really not bad at all for a few reasons.

First, the game matches you with people to invade based on your online rank (how many invasions you've done successfully) so if you never invade you will almost never be invaded. Like maybe once every few weeks. You can move that down to never if you invest in any defense at all, since like 95% of people in the lowest bracket have never touched their FOB stuff and have zero defense. They're much better targets.

Second, the amount of resources and volunteers you get from having multiple FOBs will always outstrip the amount of stuff taken from you even if you're invaded constantly.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that multiple cool weapons/gear were patched in that you have to have several working FOBs to research. Like level 140 r&d and 140 intel, where the highest used to be like half that. So you either have to buy the funny money to purchase waters or wait several real life months to get the MB through daily rewards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Playing Magnetic: Cage Closed and really enjoying it, but it's super annoying that it only has autosaves. Because there have been a couple of levels where I've died repeatedly and had to redo the first part of the level over and over and over and over again. Why not just let me save in the middle of levels to avoid this tedium?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got invaded all the time at launch despite my zero participation in the FOB game. Upgrades in that game are gratuitous anyway so I was mostly just irked that they apparently wanted to turn MGSV into clash of the clans.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FOBs are fine because just having one gives you so many bonuses it's literally almost impossible to make a net loss on them. You get more the more you put in, but if you don't want to, you can just ignore them and reap passive rewards. If you're not actively participating you're really unlikely to be invaded anyway.

The dumb poo poo they've crammed into the game since launch is bad and indefensible, but you can ignore it - don't let it spoil an otherwise great game for you. :)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FactsAreUseless posted:

Midway through the game a mechanic is introduced that makes the game harder! gently caress. This. Game. With. Fire. From. Orbit. Goon. Sire.

What are the odds that you're not an MGS V fan and you're making GBS threads on him for his opinion because it legitimately bad?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

What are the odds that you're not an MGS V fan and you're making GBS threads on him for his opinion because it legitimately bad?
Freaking out about a mechanic you haven't experienced yet because you're worried about how you imagine it will work in your head is dumb.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Freaking out about a mechanic you haven't experienced yet because you're worried about how you imagine it will work in your head is dumb.

I think it's okay to complain about the garbage online shoehorned into MGS V because it's really really bad

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ArtIsResistance posted:

I think it's okay to complain about the garbage online shoehorned into MGS V because it's really really bad

Is the online stuff in MGSV bad? Yes, certainly.

Is it so bad that it's not worth finishing the game? No, not at all.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah you guys are overblowing the online portion. I participated and only got invaded once or twice in like 4 months and hardly lost anything. A few guys go to "sick bay" or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody's playing MGS5 anymore because they all got to the part where it's poo poo, so don't worry about it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kazil posted:

Is the online stuff in MGSV bad? Yes, certainly.

Is it so bad that it's not worth finishing the game? No, not at all.

Could you perhaps describe it as a "little thing" which is in fact "dragging the game down"?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

pyf thing dragging this game down unless it's a game I kind of enjoy or your thing isn't big enough for me to consider... you know what stop posting your favourites this isn't the place for that

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SiKboy posted:

Could you perhaps describe it as a "little thing" which is in fact "dragging the game down"?

I mean, it's fair to post about it in this thread. It's also fair to say that it's not really that bad and that dropping the game before you even get to that point is kinda dumb.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't like MGS for other reasons (mostly the story) but the online portion is such a small deal its a weird thing to fixate on. If we can't have discussion in this thread then lets just have a table that says GAME|REASON and post like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

conversation is illegal. please only compile lists.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I spent 80 good hours in MGSV without once ever learning what a FOB does.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

conversation is illegal. please only compile lists.

I thought coldly compiling lists was in the PYF mission statement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I just did the AI FoB ones (not invading real peoples bases) and that suited me.

And then the in-game research times and the costs kept going up and up...

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Something dragging down Stellaris for me is a bit of a glitch. I finally got the ability to mess with dna and I immidiately saved up so I could get rid of my species Repugnent trait. I did so, and confirmed that no pop in my empire has the trait now, but my diplomacy is still brought down by it. I just want more space friends :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Something really bothered me between Fight Night: Round 2 and Fight Night: Round 3

I loved Round 2, one of my favorite games of all time. One of the best parts is when you knock someone down, you get to see a replay of your punch, and it plays out so that the punch slams into them, and then the immediate aftermath is slowed down, so you can really appreciate the pain. The important thing, I think is that the punch itself was full speed.

In Round 3, they made the whole replay slow, and replaced the intense CRASH moment, with this weird, bone-crunching sound; and it's way too slow and unexciting. Round 3 also had a super low frame rate and the gameplay was way slower in general, making it less fun in almost every way.

It really is a "little thing", but it was the difference between one of my favorite games, and a game I probably wont load up again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm playing Diablo 3 again for no reason, and once again I find I really miss the auction house. Not the real-money one, just the one where I could drop a chunk of gold and get the One Vital Thing to make Build X work*. The in-game cube and gambling does somewhat mitigate this by being able to focus on getting something I want, but not as much as I'd like.

If the game had a monthly fee, I can see putting up every time-wasting roadblock you can think up between "I Want X" and "Yay I Got X". But since it doesn't, it relegates the game to "play for a while when there's nothing else that's grabbing my interest" status, because the Upticks Of Better Gear Making My Numbers Go Up is just unsatisfactorily low.

Another small thing: I wish I knew why the arrows for bounties in Adventure Mode aren't always immediate. Sometimes it shows up immediately, sometimes it takes a few minutes to guide me in the right direction. If I'm playing your insufferably dry plot-less version of your game, at least make it as painless as possible by immediately telling me where to go!

* I don't give a single poo poo if it's not "perfect". That's a level of :spergin: that I can't even muster. I just want to get the thing.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Do you want an auction house specifically or would a way to craft/buy/whatever lowest quality/"imitation" items that can complete your build but don't take away from actual drops fit the bill? Cause the AH always seemed like a bad idea to me for anyone not specifically wanting to play the auction house.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Higsian posted:

Do you want an auction house specifically or would a way to craft/buy/whatever lowest quality/"imitation" items that can complete your build but don't take away from actual drops fit the bill? Cause the AH always seemed like a bad idea to me for anyone not specifically wanting to play the auction house.

Why did the auction house die? Was it because of abuse of the horrible real money idea? Player complaints? They didn't want to gently caress with it at all when the (superior) console releases came out?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Why did the auction house die? Was it because of abuse of the horrible real money idea? Player complaints? They didn't want to gently caress with it at all when the (superior) console releases came out?

Because the entire reason most people play Diablo is for the cool loot drops. The auction house messed this up in two ways. One, instead of farming loot you farmed gold/payed money to buy the loot which I guess the player base didn't find as compelling. Two, it made them make the drop rates for unique/set items very low to keep from flooding the market.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Higsian posted:

Do you want an auction house specifically or would a way to craft/buy/whatever lowest quality/"imitation" items that can complete your build but don't take away from actual drops fit the bill?

I don't think the latter would work for me.

What I enjoyed about the AH was that it was (for lack of a better term) an alternative gear-gain for when the actual kill-monsters-get-loot mechanic didn't pump me with a fresh jolt of motivation often enough to continue playing. If nothing dropped in X Arbitrarily Defined Chunks Of Game Time, at least that amount of time would generally net me enough gold to buy someone's castaway item(s) that were solid upgrades for me. Either way, I could reasonably expect something to increase my desire to keep playing, because I could reasonably expect better stuff every X Arbitrarily Defined Chunks Of Game Time.

Now? I literally zone out for an hour or so to farm mats to gamble/cube stuff, and there's a really good chance that it'll be for naught. Hell of a way to motivate me to keep playing; if I had to guess my D3 playing time gets shorter each time I pick it up because of this.

Despite them being quite different games, the AH in D3 felt as natural as having AHs in WoW, in that there's always people selling stuff they don't need for gold other players had. Win win.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Jun 7, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

MrJacobs posted:

There was actually a pretty lengthy post on that exact topic yesterday.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=460737601

The takeaway is that there were a whole host of reasons why neither auction house could stay once the expansion launched. Chief among them being "staring at the auction house for gear upgrades is replacing playing the actual game for most of our players."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

The takeaway is that there were a whole host of reasons why neither auction house could stay once the expansion launched. Chief among them being "staring at the auction house for gear upgrades is replacing playing the actual game for most of our players."

I've heard this before, but I've always believed that if your "playing the actual game" ideal is threatened by something like an AH, it's your "actual game" that's the problem and needs tweaking. If you brought AHs back right now, the only kvetching you'd have is those who are mad that a scrub like me could get a piece of Roland's gear without :airquote: earning it :airquote: like they did.

Hell, it's always been what drags Blizzard games for me, in the end, is their half-assed attempts at elongating the more engaging single player experience. Be it *crafts multiplayer, WoW's raiding, or D3's Adventure Mode, it's all too dry to keep me invested/motivated as long as I'd otherwise like.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The mission Blood Runs Deep in MGS5 is awful. The commands for the kids don't work half the time (even if you're within range), so they just barrel ahead into enemies and get shot, or they don't move when you tell them to. I hope you don't get spotted by the gunship near the extraction point, because there's no cover and your helicopter apparently doesn't know how to shoot back. The drat thing just decided to eat a bunch of bullets to the face while flying in. What's the point of developing poo poo like rockets if they don't get used? I got in the helicopter to try to shoot back with the side-mounted minigun, but the enemy gunship parked itself right behind the chopper and I couldn't hit it. Then my chopper started flying away, leaving 4 of the kids on the ground, before the gunship blew it up.

Restart at the checkpoint, and now I'm at the LZ, no chopper in sight, and while the gunship isn't there, there's a shitton of enemy soldiers. Still no cover. While I can kill people well enough on my own, once the helicopter lands and I have to start throwing the kids in the chopper manually, I get torn apart. Why do they have to be thrown in? They didn't have any problems getting to the LZ, just get in the drat chopper.

I'd have probably finished the mission by the skin of my teeth that first time if my chopper actually shot back at the gunship, but the garbage checkpoint is the cherry on top.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Everything about the child soldiers kills the entire pacing of the game, it's horrible. The boss fight especially but they should've cut them all together.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

MisterBibs posted:

Another small thing: I wish I knew why the arrows for bounties in Adventure Mode aren't always immediate. Sometimes it shows up immediately, sometimes it takes a few minutes to guide me in the right direction. If I'm playing your insufferably dry plot-less version of your game, at least make it as painless as possible by immediately telling me where to go!

It's based on how close you are to the objective. Sometimes you start close enough to get the arrow, sometimes not. The radius should be bigger though, or be based on what zone you're in or something - some of those zones are big.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For MGSV I just deployed a vehicle, put the kids on it, and fultoned it back.

I wish the game hadn't the real-time element, so your GMP would reset after you reload at a checkpoint and you wouldn't be worse off after an attempt.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inco posted:

The mission Blood Runs Deep in MGS5 is awful. The commands for the kids don't work half the time (even if you're within range), so they just barrel ahead into enemies and get shot, or they don't move when you tell them to. I hope you don't get spotted by the gunship near the extraction point, because there's no cover and your helicopter apparently doesn't know how to shoot back. The drat thing just decided to eat a bunch of bullets to the face while flying in. What's the point of developing poo poo like rockets if they don't get used? I got in the helicopter to try to shoot back with the side-mounted minigun, but the enemy gunship parked itself right behind the chopper and I couldn't hit it. Then my chopper started flying away, leaving 4 of the kids on the ground, before the gunship blew it up.

Restart at the checkpoint, and now I'm at the LZ, no chopper in sight, and while the gunship isn't there, there's a shitton of enemy soldiers. Still no cover. While I can kill people well enough on my own, once the helicopter lands and I have to start throwing the kids in the chopper manually, I get torn apart. Why do they have to be thrown in? They didn't have any problems getting to the LZ, just get in the drat chopper.

I'd have probably finished the mission by the skin of my teeth that first time if my chopper actually shot back at the gunship, but the garbage checkpoint is the cherry on top.
This is the one where you break them out of the mine? Last time I played it this trick worked:
Take out the AA or whatever to unlock the landing point in the mine, tranq the kids just after you free them, load them onto the chopper that's RIGHT next to the cave exit.
You have to tranq them because they won't walk into the chopper and instead choose to walk all the way down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Croccers posted:

This is the one where you break them out of the mine? Last time I played it this trick worked:
Take out the AA or whatever to unlock the landing point in the mine, tranq the kids just after you free them, load them onto the chopper that's RIGHT next to the cave exit.
You have to tranq them because they won't walk into the chopper and instead choose to walk all the way down.

I was just about to post this, I told people this when I first found out you could do it and a few people's minds were blown. That mission is awful if you try to do it legit because yeah, the kid AI is prone to just bugging out. The one time I tried it the kids just got stuck standing there for no reason and I had to tranq every one and carry them one by one through the whole stage before I gave up and murdered one out of frustration and realized I could use the helipad right next to the mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For MGSV I just deployed a vehicle, put the kids on it, and fultoned it back.

I wish the game hadn't the real-time element, so your GMP would reset after you reload at a checkpoint and you wouldn't be worse off after an attempt.

felt like a goddamn genius when i realized i could fulton kids via the jeep when there was no quick way to extract them at the time.

i wish gmp was like in peacewalker where it was fluid and it would return to a set size after r&d was done researching stuff.