Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Aaarrrggh as soon as he went to the armorer i was quietly dreading that he would find the falconers helm. Hate the look of that drat thing. But alas, now Goonther is dandy with a feather in his cap.

Also, Geop you have GOT to stop holding your shield up 24/7. The main reason I keep seeing you get into trouble is because you run out of stamina and you keep running out of stamina because you won't put your guard down and let it regen at full speed. If the enemies aren't swinging at you or your out of reach there's no need to keep your guard up.

This times a million. Geop is way too defensive and it's probably the main reason he's faring so poorly so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Managing stamina is pretty much the biggest trick to the game, really. When you're on offense always make sure to leave enough stamina to disengage or block the enemy counterattack, you can avoid a lot of needless hits this way. You can't just swing forever, get a hang of how many attacks you can make before you're out of stamina and get used to doing that many -1.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Scribe13 posted:

In regards to the respawn of enemies in DS2, I don't really care for it. It may sound odd, but I tend to like the constant fighting is DS1 and DeS. Continually fighting the same enemies eventually gave me a sense of mastery over that enemy type, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if I had to run a section on my way back to the boss. In a later section of the game, there's an enemy type that I always had a difficult time beating, so once it went away I never felt that I got a good enough understanding on how to deal with it.

And I tend to enjoy grinding on the whole. So there's that.

Edit: Also, one of the later sets that Maughlin sells is my favorite set in this game.
I have entirely stopped fighting enemies on boss runs whenever possible, and a lot of the boss runs in DS2 actually allow for that (not all, I am aware). Not that I realized that at first (maybe not during my entire first run), but there's a lot of tricks you can pull rather easily to avoid getting knocked out of the fog wall animation, and it saves you so much headache.

I would also catiously like to mention that there is one way with a heavy cost to allow for more grinding if you really want to (a way that is woven sometimes subtly, sometimes overtly into many of the game's design decisions), and that they patched in another, less costly way a while back. So I'm pretty sure they did never want the player to stop grinding, just discourage it heavily. If someone is really dedicated to get this or that weapon or armor set, the two ways won't really hinder them much anyway; that ship has sailed a long time ago. Everyone else just struggling should by all accounts appreciate enemies' disappearance. Though I do admit that when I first noticed it, it did feel like the game taking pity on me. Then it almost never happened again because Forest is rough, man :v:. Until way later when I did encounter a boss run I couldn't just dodge through...and struggled. Hard. Then I really appreciated it myself.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

JT Jag posted:

Try jump-i-n-g
Try jump-i-n-g
Try jump-i-n-g

And Kuvo said try jumping

Not for a while he hasn't...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gibb3h posted:

Not for a while he hasn't...

I love you for this.

Geop DS threads have the best fanart/contributions.

E: And also the most aggravating "totally not a spoiler, but you should really try this very specific thing *nudge, nudge, wink wink*" posts.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ehh, I can see how having not played a souls game in ... 4 years, he'd be out of practice.

It takes time to re-acclimate to the gameplay, and 2 hours isn't gonna do it. Just give him time. And give him poo poo for it. I'm sure he appreciates that.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I like how afted watching the last video on youtube it went straight into David Cage saying "that's cool". Right after Goonther shows off his neat new armor, too.

As for the game, I'm one of the 2 people in existence that favors DS2 over the others, but I really dislike the forest of the fallen giants area for not only being kind of real dull in my opinion it also feels quite a bit too hard for the first level. It almost soured me on the game when it first came out, but I decided to go the other way instead and actally got up to speed a lot better there!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
DS2 is definitely rough at the start, but at least it isn't Bloodborne, I guess. I almost quit that one before I even got past the second boss.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'm surprised at all the praise for the mace when the same guy sells the rapier. It does more damage at much less stamina cost with a better moveset against all but a few enemies. The disadvantages are poor poise damage and that you have to be consistently getting counter hits, but most enemies have huge windows after they attack during which you get the extra damage. The humble spear should also not be overlooked, since it has an amazing moveset and the R2s deal strike damage for those times when it's super helpful. If you want to go for strength, the estoc does much less damage than the rapier, but is longer, scales off strength, does more poise damage and has a much better moveset.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm surprised at all the praise for the mace when the same guy sells the rapier. It does more damage at much less stamina cost with a better moveset against all but a few enemies. The disadvantages are poor poise damage and that you have to be consistently getting counter hits, but most enemies have huge windows after they attack during which you get the extra damage. The humble spear should also not be overlooked, since it has an amazing moveset and the R2s deal strike damage for those times when it's super helpful. If you want to go for strength, the estoc does much less damage than the rapier, but is longer, scales off strength, does more poise damage and has a much better moveset.
All weapons sold by Lenigrast are fantastic, the Mace is just the simplest easy mode from the get-go. Rapier mulches everything with a little set-up and certainly more raw DPS (that's why speedrunners use it after all), but if you just want to R1 things into oblivions right away, Mace can't be beat. Except by the Club, maybe, that's also pretty great for the same reasons.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
While the rapier line of weapons are all potentially powerful, I find them less useful than the mace in general.

The first problem with them is Pierce is probably the most resisted physical damage type. The second is a targeting issue - even with lock on I find on occasion I would simply miss my opponent with a poke. Also, the lack of even a small swipe can make dealing with groups tricky.

The mace features insane scaling, and does the least resisted physical damage type. Heck, when starting a cleric, it doesn't even matter that you don't have the stats to wield it properly one handed, you still do respectable damage 1h-ing it. By late game on my usual caster-type character, with 20str and a complementary infusion it does endgame-caliber damage.

Rapiers may be very effective, but I think they're a bit of an expert weapon.

I wonder if Geop should consider a greatsword like the bastard sword? They have a pretty easy attack pattern and decent damage.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't have Scholar so I beat the first Heide Knight I found two-handing my mace with my Cleric start in the Forest of Giants and lucked out when he dropped his sword so I've been using that since.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
My go-to weapons have been PS Caestus and the big stone Greatsword for anything too numerous or fiddly to punch to death.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't have Scholar so I beat the first Heide Knight I found two-handing my mace with my Cleric start in the Forest of Giants and lucked out when he dropped his sword so I've been using that since.
That's a guaranteed drop in vanilla. All the Heide Knights it has are in fixed locations, non-respawning, and drop their weapons on death. Starting NG+, they also have a chance to drop part of their armor set. No, they still don't respawn, why do you ask?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
One dropped their helm too? Or maybe I found that somewhere I don't remember.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

One dropped their helm too? Or maybe I found that somewhere I don't remember.
There are two different Heide helmets. One is a fixed loot and the other is a possible drop from the Heide-dudes. SotF changed this though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Scholar does have one totes guaranteed spear, though.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Geop don't worry your maniacal love for grinding will pay off once you do the thing necessary to move that old lady vendor to Majula.
Pretend I had talent and did a photoshop of Domon Kasshu from G Gundam yelling 'THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER" wearing the Catarina hat and crushing a healing gem :getin:

Bear
Feb 23, 2015
Gooner's new hat is suitably silly, I wonder what sort of bird they plucked it from?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Bear posted:

Gooner's new hat is suitably silly, I wonder what sort of bird they plucked it from?

Giant pheasant to go with the giant crows Dark Souls had.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

jpublic posted:

While the rapier line of weapons are all potentially powerful, I find them less useful than the mace in general.

The first problem with them is Pierce is probably the most resisted physical damage type. The second is a targeting issue - even with lock on I find on occasion I would simply miss my opponent with a poke. Also, the lack of even a small swipe can make dealing with groups tricky.

Pierce is not resisted heavily. Slash is. Very few things specifically resist piercing, and heavily armored enemies tend to resist it weakly as well (not as much as strike, but close). The narrow pokes can be a bit of an issue versus multiple opponents, but that's why the estoc is fantastic thanks to its r2 sweep. But even regular rapier r1s have a good bit of horizontal reach close to the hilt, so if you group up enemies close together and let them get close you can just spam r1s and stunlock them all to death, though obviously that's a riskier strategy.

quote:

The mace features insane scaling, and does the least resisted physical damage type. Heck, when starting a cleric, it doesn't even matter that you don't have the stats to wield it properly one handed, you still do respectable damage 1h-ing it. By late game on my usual caster-type character, with 20str and a complementary infusion it does endgame-caliber damage.

Mace is good, but the moveset is garbage, having very little outward reach. It's good at hitting things extremely close to you, or things low to the ground, and that's about it. Fortunately that is solved by using one of the hammers with the alternative r1s which are more similar to straight sword slashes.

quote:

I wonder if Geop should consider a greatsword like the bastard sword? They have a pretty easy attack pattern and decent damage.

Imo Geop should try forgoing a shield entirely. DS2 nerfs the effectiveness of shields quite heavily by giving them lower stability in general compared to DS1, and by increasing the time it takes to raise your shield to block. Not to mention that you do have to get a fair bit in to get a decent stability 100% phys block shield. It also encourages you to play more aggressively by throwing more enemies at you and making dual-wielding the most viable it has ever been in a Soulsborne game, by giving left handed weapons their full moveset as well as the introduction of power stancing.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Grizlor posted:

Geop don't worry your maniacal love for grinding will pay off once you do the thing necessary to move that old lady vendor to Majula.
Pretend I had talent and did a photoshop of Domon Kasshu from G Gundam yelling 'THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER" wearing the Catarina hat and crushing a healing gem :getin:

"ITS LOUD ROAR IS TELLING ME TO TRY JUMPING!"
[Falls off a ledge and gets surrounded and killed by several enemies.]

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Genocyber posted:

DS2 nerfs the effectiveness of shields quite heavily by giving them lower stability in general compared to DS1, and by increasing the time it takes to raise your shield to block.

This is pretty much what caused me to try power stance and embrace my inner punchyfist.

Unless you're building for it, shields are garbage in DaS 2.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So one thing about grinding: I've been told there is a pve covenant that disables the extinction mechanic for enemies. Could be useful if farming for a specific item (weapon, armor, whatever...)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is pretty much what caused me to try power stance and embrace my inner punchyfist.

Unless you're building for it, shields are garbage in DaS 2.
I wouldn't call them garbage per se, but shields definitely fall off by the late phases of NG, to say nothing of NG+. The Souls games have always had the damage avoidance trichotomy of blocking/dodging/positioning, but in particular DS2 encourages the last two rather than the former as in DS1.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can't stability-tank for days like you could in DS1, so blocking shouldn't be your primary method of defense, but having the right shield can still save you from getting blown out because of a late dodge.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress is power stance

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Some shields with high elemental resists can be useful for circumstances that involve those damage types, but in general it's more effective to damage rush enemies and pop a heal gem afterwards. I don't know if he's got this as a drop yet but 2-handing the bastard sword has a pretty great moveset that gives you options for hitting multiple dudes while also being effective in tight spaces. Worst case, power-stancing a pair of maces will pretty much erase standard enemies for the first half of the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

what the gently caress is power stance

If you have two similar weapons and 1.5x their stat reqs for str/dex then you can hold triangle and do special attacks that use both weapons with l1 and l2.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

vwelp, nothing to add

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

If you have two similar weapons and 1.5x their stat reqs for str/dex then you can hold triangle and do special attacks that use both weapons with l1 and l2.

how the hell are you supposed to know that

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They don't even have to be that similar
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Power+Stance
there's a big spreadsheet of everything you can power stance with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

how the hell are you supposed to know that

I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial message about it.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

They don't even have to be that similar
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Power+Stance
there's a big spreadsheet of everything you can power stance with.

It's really the best. Hate the mace moveset (and who doesn't)? Powerstance it with a straight sword in your main hand. Great moveset in one hand, great damage in the other.

EDIT: Plus the powerstanced mace/hammer moveset owns bones

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial message about it.

Almost positive there's not. Just the "Hold Y/Triangle to hold left weapon in two hands or something", which is exactly what will happen the first time you try it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

NGDBSS posted:

I wouldn't call them garbage per se, but shields definitely fall off by the late phases of NG, to say nothing of NG+. The Souls games have always had the damage avoidance trichotomy of blocking/dodging/positioning, but in particular DS2 encourages the last two rather than the former as in DS1.

Especially positioning, as in 'hey maybe stand an extra 10 feet to the left because the hitbox of this autokill grab is practically a vacuum.'

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Almost positive there's not. Just the "Hold Y/Triangle to hold left weapon in two hands or something", which is exactly what will happen the first time you try it.

the dual wielding class not starting with the stats to power stance its own weapons is an exceptionally silly decision

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Looper posted:

the dual wielding class not starting with the stats to power stance its own weapons is an exceptionally silly decision

That was kind of annoying as all I wanted to do was dual wield poo poo but I guess they tried to balance that out by giving you a +1 scimitar off the bat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Looper posted:

Cleric can't one-hand the Mace :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Cleric can't one-hand the Mace :geno:

Except the mace is still plenty good even then so I don't know why people bring this up.

• Locked thread