Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Daco Vato posted:

okay welp I tried.

I think you need to consider what he said. He didn't just say "shut up Paco", he's telling you what he thinks you're doing wrong. And therefore, what you need to stop doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

how's the skin feeling vyst?

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

rgocs posted:

I think you need to consider what he said. He didn't just say "shut up Paco", he's telling you what he thinks you're doing wrong. And therefore, what you need to stop doing.

It wasn't that many words though, and I was trying to express myself truthfully. Words are the building blocks of our society and hey guess what if we are all supposed to keep it under 140 characters why don't we just all post on twitter instead? I can be brief when needed and there is something to be said for "less is more" but at the same time there's also something to be said for "oh hey this guy wrote two paragraphs about this and it will only take me 20 seconds to read it which would be the polite thing to do." Instead he chose to say "hrr you wrote a lot of words hrrr" it comes off as intellectually lazy and that bugs the poo poo out of me when I know someone's smarter than that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

I can't tell if CO2 are really awful, are really bad at taking unwinnable fights, or just don't care if their poo poo blows up or doesn't.

co2 thinks they're a lot better than they really are. They have a tendency to get in way over their head/underestimate opponents. Number for number they aren't bad but they have the same fatal flaw as dbrb: have no idea which fights not to take. See: every time sebastion has overextended with capitals except now there isn't anyone to bail them out.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Reverand maynard posted:

co2 thinks they're a lot better than they really are. They have a tendency to get in way over their head/underestimate opponents. Number for number they aren't bad but they have the same fatal flaw as dbrb: have no idea which fights not to take. See: every time sebastion has overextended with capitals except now there isn't anyone to bail them out.

don't troll me please. https://zkillboard.com/kill/54466870/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IDK if this was linked but I'm surprised that FCON had the abilities to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRl-hFzntMA

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
(the moros was baited on a free boat)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, I suspect DBRB knows which fights not to take and just takes them anyway, that's why he starts giggling and says "We're all gonna die guys!" as he hits the fleet warp. :sureboat:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Daco Vato posted:

It wasn't that many words though, and I was trying to express myself truthfully. Words are the building blocks of our society and hey guess what if we are all supposed to keep it under 140 characters why don't we just all post on twitter instead? I can be brief when needed and there is something to be said for "less is more" but at the same time there's also something to be said for "oh hey this guy wrote two paragraphs about this and it will only take me 20 seconds to read it which would be the polite thing to do." Instead he chose to say "hrr you wrote a lot of words hrrr" it comes off as intellectually lazy and that bugs the poo poo out of me when I know someone's smarter than that.

that you wrote a socially unacceptable amount of words given the point you sought to convey says more about the point - your ability to fit in socially - than anything you were going to put in those words

sometimes it's not what you say, its how you say it

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I didn't say boat was bad tho? I just said co2 overcommits to fight like dbrb does. Its really funny though how much poo poo dbrb gets for getting caps killed given how many more times seb has gotten his dick stomped on.

The CFC lost 360b in Asakai. Seb has lost that much himself in ragnaroks.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 6, 2016

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

that you wrote a socially unacceptable amount of words given the point you sought to convey says more about the point - your ability to fit in socially - than anything you were going to put in those words

sometimes it's not what you say, its how you say it

Sure - and like I said I'm all for there being a time and place but I thought my response merited a bit more depth than just :cmon: I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I'll keep my posts short and monosyllabic moving forward so as to not waste anyone's time having to read like... 200 words or whatever. :rolleyes:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Joining groon was a really good decision. I'm fucken terrible but I can still contribute meaningfully in a lot of ways and I very much did not slip through the cracks like I did in every single squad I tried in the bigger goon guild.

To put it in perspective how bad I was at standing out: Miniluv purged me after I was only in it for 3 days for not being active enough, then I got a payment of 800 million two days later for all the freighters I had helped with.

Dirt farming in syndicate pays more than enough to keep me in nice ships and the groon crew is full of people I actually want to hang out with, which is the first time I can say that about an eve group. I joined looking for small-fleet space priesting; I got exactly that and more.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shut the gently caress up, Paco. Stop loving posting about your own posting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Daco Vato posted:

Sure - and like I said I'm all for there being a time and place but I thought my response merited a bit more depth than just :cmon: I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I'll keep my posts short and monosyllabic moving forward so as to not waste anyone's time having to read like... 200 words or whatever. :rolleyes:

there are times for longwinded posts, the socially acceptable rule is not short and monosyllabic in all situations only in certain situations

much like if i sign an email i am doing it correctly but if i sign a text message i will be rightly mocked by the recipient as an elderly grandpa who doesn't understand the newfangled whizgigs

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Stop loving posting about Paco's posting, what the gently caress.

Posts about posting are always terrible.

Especially this one.

fart

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Oodles posted:

how's the skin feeling vyst?

Well the skin is gone so I bet it's feeling dead :smug: - But I'm doin alright moving around. I've been going on walks and doing walking on the treadmill. I still have one of these bullshit drains in but whatever. I haven't taken any pain killers for a couple of weeks so that's a good sign. I'm saving the rest of them for my fiancee as a "summer break surprise" since she's a teacher.

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

there are times for longwinded posts, the socially acceptable rule is not short and monosyllabic in all situations only in certain situations

much like if i sign an email i am doing it correctly but if i sign a text message i will be rightly mocked by the recipient as an elderly grandpa who doesn't understand the newfangled whizgigs

Right but the line is subjective, as is the definition of "longwinded{sic} posts." As I said I thought my feelings about vyst were worth more than a few words or a single sentence because it's something I've given thought to. Also I don't find 2 paragraphs all that long-winded frankly.

Also when you are breaking in a new dealer you typically have to sign your text messages because they may not remember the number, but that's an extreme exception to the "don't sign SMS messages" rule. ;)

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

hailthefish posted:

Stop loving posting about Paco's posting, what the gently caress.

Posts about posting are always terrible.

Especially this one.

fart

Thanks for weighing in. Your contribution is valuable and noted.

EDIT: sorry for double-posting.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Daco Vato posted:

Thanks for weighing in. Your contribution is valuable and noted.

A funnier response would have been "don't sign your posts" h t h

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
wasn't really going for funny there but thanks

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Daco Vato posted:

okay welp I tried.

Try not making GBS threads out a page of text every time you are semi threatened. It's like watching a squid with delusions of literacy get spooked.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I wish we could buy complex word filters. I would buy two.

One would replace "shut the gently caress up, paco" with a five-paragraph essay about the rhetorical and epistemological ramifications of contrasting posting styles in internet spaceship forum culture, with a thesis centered on the cultural implications of a bimodal word count distribution.

The other would limit Paco's posts to 140 characters :v:

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
thanks for weighing in on the fuckpaco debate guys! Was really confused where everyone stood on the issue and am glad we got that cleared up :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

vyst posted:

Well the skin is gone so I bet it's feeling dead :smug: - But I'm doin alright moving around. I've been going on walks and doing walking on the treadmill. I still have one of these bullshit drains in but whatever. I haven't taken any pain killers for a couple of weeks so that's a good sign. I'm saving the rest of them for my fiancee as a "summer break surprise" since she's a teacher.

Just chuck the pills if they start to smell like vinegar (that's the acetaminophen breaking down)- otherwise you'll get a really lovely headache.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
paco, i think you shouldn't let these sadbrained nerds itt weigh you down. you paid for that forum account and by god you are entitled to use it

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Blazing Zero posted:

paco, i think you shouldn't let these sadbrained nerds itt weigh you down. you paid for that forum account and by god you are entitled to use it

I realize you're trolling but it's not a sadbrains thing it's just a culture difference. I'm ok with verbosity, others aren't. Whatever I'll keep things short and sweet. Not in an attempt to curry favor for those hopes are long dead but perhaps in the hopes of no longer being piled on by the "intelligensia" every time I make a goddamned post.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Daco Vato posted:

I realize you're trolling but it's not a sadbrains thing it's just a culture difference. I'm ok with verbosity, others aren't. Whatever I'll keep things short and sweet. Not in an attempt to curry favor for those hopes are long dead but perhaps in the hopes of no longer being piled on by the "intelligensia" every time I make a goddamned post.

if you think im trolling, youve already chosen submissiveness :rip:

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
sure, frabba, sure.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I'm reading Empires of EVE right now. Are the Russians still as crazy as the Red Alliance was, or should I not poo poo my pants if I ever see Russians in-system? :whitewater:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ad by Khad posted:

Joining groon was a really good decision. I'm fucken terrible but I can still contribute meaningfully in a lot of ways and I very much did not slip through the cracks like I did in every single squad I tried in the bigger goon guild.

To put it in perspective how bad I was at standing out: Miniluv purged me after I was only in it for 3 days for not being active enough, then I got a payment of 800 million two days later for all the freighters I had helped with.

Dirt farming in syndicate pays more than enough to keep me in nice ships and the groon crew is full of people I actually want to hang out with, which is the first time I can say that about an eve group. I joined looking for small-fleet space priesting; I got exactly that and more.

I don't know how your MiniLuv story of making 800m in 5 days from scanning freight puts how bad things were in perspective. But we haven't purged anyone for activity in 6 months. And even if we were staying up-to-date on activity requirements, you cannot get purged for activity related reasons before you've been a member for 3 months.

What more than likely happened is you got caught up in a recruitment snafu where I hit 'accept all' instead of 'reject all' for a batch of about 20 people that were getting rejected. But they didn't last 3 days; they lasted 30 minutes before I PM'd each of them and explained what happened. If that wasn't the case, welp, poo poo happens; but you could've PM'd me or another leadership dude (we have 2 for each time zone) and figured out what went wrong, why you got booted, and how you could reapply / get busy with us.

But I'm glad you're having fun with Groon :shobon: No one should really be criticized for playing the game how or with whom they want. Unless they're part of the Highsec Militia :frogout:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Nazareth posted:

I'm reading Empires of EVE right now. Are the Russians still as crazy as the Red Alliance was, or should I not poo poo my pants if I ever see Russians in-system? :whitewater:

They're actually even more crazy.

Also, fucks sake people, just put Paco on ignore.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

ullerrm posted:

How?

Also who is Paco?

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Nazareth posted:

How?

Also who is Paco?

Me. Also ignoring folks is easy click profile click ignore done.

Love you too, Flanders.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I was just trying to third-party the whole thing because I'm sick of it, but for the record

ullerrm should have posted:

Also, fucks sake people, just put Paco and all of the people that are triggered by Paco's posting on ignore.

this is more like it

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

He meant put Daco on ignore

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

ullerrm posted:

just how crazy are they?? :jerry:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't know how your MiniLuv story of making 800m in 5 days from scanning freight puts how bad things were in perspective. But we haven't purged anyone for activity in 6 months. And even if we were staying up-to-date on activity requirements, you cannot get purged for activity related reasons before you've been a member for 3 months.

What more than likely happened is you got caught up in a recruitment snafu where I hit 'accept all' instead of 'reject all' for a batch of about 20 people that were getting rejected. But they didn't last 3 days; they lasted 30 minutes before I PM'd each of them and explained what happened. If that wasn't the case, welp, poo poo happens; but you could've PM'd me or another leadership dude (we have 2 for each time zone) and figured out what went wrong, why you got booted, and how you could reapply / get busy with us.

But I'm glad you're having fun with Groon :shobon: No one should really be criticized for playing the game how or with whom they want. Unless they're part of the Highsec Militia :frogout:

I appreciate your post, but this happened a long time ago and Warr Akini didn't seem to care as much at the time. I probably joined at exactly the wrong time or something.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Got my first solo kills today. A harbinger was ratting my little c2 so I rolled up on him in my manticore. Didnt realize torpedoes do 700 damage each on bigger ships like that. The stupid rats killed me right after he went down. Then he comes back in a gnosis, which I also killed. He asks nicely to stop killing him in local, and I gouged 15m isk out of him. I was almost regretting training sb before a ratting ship.

This is a very fun game.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Nazareth posted:

They had a pretty crazy brawl going in Immensea earlier- the details are still obfuscated because nobody really knows who is on what side... but there were probably 300 Machariels + Support, +Caps +Dreads +Supers +Bombers.

It was a hell of a lot more interesting than anything that's happened in Saranen in recent history; sadly the people we went in to fight with got ownzoned by a bombing run, so we legged it back to Saranen. The best part however, was we were fighting against XDeath on an IHub timer they didn't bring entosis for, and just wanted the fight. Yay for meaningless big dick cap fights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Daco Vato posted:

throwing out several paragraphs, multiple times, when someone says "shut up paco" isn't being verbose, it's being grossly thin-skinned

it isnt a 'cultural difference' you just come across as someone with no perspective on anything that matters

• Locked thread