Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

On Terra Firma posted:

There's nothing weird about the way that I speak though, but ok?

If google now doesn't work very well for your voice, I can almost guarantee that there is. Upload a clip if you want to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My MotoXP 15 was sort of batshit crazy and would randomly dial people I haven't talked to in 10 years after hearing the tv say something that was definitely not "OKAY MOTO". It would also constantly fire off in bars/restaurants as well to the point that I turned it off. I miss the hand wavy notifications though.

Nexus 6p definitely hasn't picked up random noises for "OK GOOGLE" so far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On Terra Firma posted:

So, either everyone who thinks Google Voice works great and wonderful is in on the great conspiracy or there's something broken on your end.

Maybe something is wrong with your Google account, maybe you use some app that messes it up, maybe you've bought a couple of bad phones, maybe you're hard on the mics on your phones, maybe Google doesn't like you, maybe there's something off about the way you speak compared to the training data Google has used.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've never actually bothered setting up voice recognition on my phone. I'll use the voice search occasionally (and it usually knows what I'm talking about) but it's not really something I'd miss.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So has any other news come out about Google Home? I'm considering getting some Nest stuff but I'm wondering if I should wait to see if Google's going to Google it up and put out a whole different home products line.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Luchadork posted:

I'm considering getting some Nest stuff

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/nests-time-at-alphabet-a-virtually-unlimited-budget-with-no-results/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a better "dip my toe in the water" Android phone for the price than the 5x? I don't want a bunch of crap on the device, do want a fingerprint scanner and don't want to spend more than around $300 (so would probably do the Project Fi deal).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 6, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Well that certainly puts an end to that idea, Jesus Christ.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

So, either everyone who thinks Google Voice works great and wonderful is in on the great conspiracy or there's something broken on your end.

Maybe something is wrong with your Google account, maybe you use some app that messes it up, maybe you've bought a couple of bad phones, maybe you're hard on the mics on your phones, maybe Google doesn't like you, maybe there's something off about the way you speak compared to the training data Google has used.

I never said there was a conspiracy. I just said it doesn't work that well for me and never has. Oh well.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Is the 6P still a good buy? There've been great discounts lately and I want to ditch my 2014 Moto X and its ever-loosening charging port.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I apparently have the kind of speech impediment that causes Google's voice recognition to cut me off before I've even begun speaking and claim it doesn't understand me. I don't know what kind of commands it's expecting me to have completed <1s after I press the microphone button. This is in a quiet room and everything.

Oh well, it could just be a hardware thing, as I only witnessed this on my Nexus 6. I have since sold it and replaced it with a 5X and haven't tested this functionality with it yet (because I had to send it back for issues I posted about earlier--it's back to my trusty iPhone 5S until then).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Argyle posted:

Is the 6P still a good buy? There've been great discounts lately and I want to ditch my 2014 Moto X and its ever-loosening charging port.

I think so.

So, after getting a new Android device I always feel like I need to keep track of a list of things that are broken and retarded about Android and the device so I can send a sternly-worded letter to Google HQ. The 6P I've owned for a week or so probably has the shortest list, so that's good!

My big irritations right now are:

1. A large portion of of the time there's no sound on new notifications...just a vibrate.
2. It won't stay connected to my Moto 360. Factory reset the 360 and it works good for awhile, then it just starts disconnecting all the time and won't reconnect.
3. It's way too big and slippery, but I'm resigned to this.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It's not big enough, in my opinion. It should be bigger, bigger, BIGGER!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Smythe posted:

It's not big enough, in my opinion. It should be bigger, bigger, BIGGER!

Get a tablet and hold it to your face. Problem solved!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Get a tablet and hold it to your face. Problem solved!

Asus got you covered. Literally.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

Would you mind doing a little monologue for us? Here's a suggestion:

quote:

You know, not many people knew it, but the Führer was a terrific dancer. (now shouting with rage) That is because you were taken in by that verdammte Allied propaganda! Such filthy lies! They told lies! But nobody ever said a bad word about Winston Churchill, did they? No! "Win with Winnie!" Churchill! With his cigars, with his brandy. And his ROTTEN painting! Rotten! Hitler, THERE was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon! TWO COATS! Churchill. He couldn't even say "Nazi". He would say "Nooooozeeehz, Nooooozeeehz!" It wasn't NOSES, it was NAZIS! Churchill! Let me tell you THIS! And you're hearing this straight from the horse - Hitler was better looking than Churchill. He was a better dresser than Churchill. He had more hair! He told funnier jokes! And he could dance the PANTS off of Churchill!

Read more: http://stageagent.com/monologues/631/the-producers/franz-liebkind#ixzz4Apib2oxr

You can upload it to Picosong. https://picosong.com/

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Endless Mike posted:

We're like 1 or 2 steps away from Trigger Happy TV at this point.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thermopyle posted:

I think so.

So, after getting a new Android device I always feel like I need to keep track of a list of things that are broken and retarded about Android and the device so I can send a sternly-worded letter to Google HQ. The 6P I've owned for a week or so probably has the shortest list, so that's good!

My big irritations right now are:

1. A large portion of of the time there's no sound on new notifications...just a vibrate.
2. It won't stay connected to my Moto 360. Factory reset the 360 and it works good for awhile, then it just starts disconnecting all the time and won't reconnect.

The bluetooth on the 6p is kinda terrible. I mean, bluetooth in general is kinda terrible, but the 6p's is worse.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

This guy owns.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

I never said there was a conspiracy. I just said it doesn't work that well for me and never has. Oh well.

On Terra Firma posted:

After having an amazon echo for a few months I realize now how absolutely abysmal Google voice is.

Your voice is a piece of poo poo

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Luchadork posted:

EcoBee seems to be well received and so far seems to be fairly compatible with home automation frameworks, so it will likely support Google's.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Luchadork posted:

I think the nest thermostat is well regarded, just nobody is impressed by the rest of Nest.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
livin' the dream

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While we're talking about voice stuff, I will say I've been impressed with Siri's ability to parse natural language stuff that Google just can't do. For instance, "Hey Siri, set an alarm for 7 am" (confirmation) "Siri, change that to 8 am" and it was properly done.

It's weird seeing how both Google and Siri are good at different things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

LastInLine posted:

While we're talking about voice stuff, I will say I've been impressed with Siri's ability to parse natural language stuff that Google just can't do. For instance, "Hey Siri, set an alarm for 7 am" (confirmation) "Siri, change that to 8 am" and it was properly done.

It's weird seeing how both Google and Siri are good at different things.

Siri call Uncle Yu's - I don't know who your uncle is, if you add him to contacts I could blah blah blah
Ok Google call Uncle Yu's - ordering you some Chinese food

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Those praising/complaining the voice recognition, are you talking about the actual recognition of what you're saying once it's activated, or the 'OK google' activation? Becausefor me, if I can get it activated and listening, it's really great at recognising what I say, and I can speak very naturally. But the actual voice activation is flakey as gently caress. Works about half the time, stops working completely and demands retraining every few weeks. Often activates and then instantly says it doesn't understand but without giving you a chance to say anything (as another goon mentioned). Sometimes doesn't listen to you and just searches the word 'Google' instead. I find all of these problems are worse when you're waking the phone from screen off with you voice. I'm English and have a very neutral accent, before you all start telling me I talk weird.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chippy posted:

Those praising/complaining the voice recognition, are you talking about the actual recognition of what you're saying once it's activated, or the 'OK google' activation? Becausefor me, if I can get it activated and listening, it's really great at recognising what I say, and I can speak very naturally. But the actual voice activation is flakey as gently caress. Works about half the time, stops working completely and demands retraining every few weeks. Often activates and then instantly says it doesn't understand but without giving you a chance to say anything (as another goon mentioned). Sometimes doesn't listen to you and just searches the word 'Google' instead. I find all of these problems are worse when you're waking the phone from screen off with you voice. I'm English and have a very neutral accent, before you all start telling me I talk weird.

This is basically my experience too. It recognises me fine, but then it fucks off and does a google web search for what I wanted most of the time or half-completes what you'd think would be a straightforward instruction.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

This is basically my experience too. It recognises me fine, but then it fucks off and does a google web search for what I wanted most of the time or half-completes what you'd think would be a straightforward instruction.
This doesn't sounds like the same thing as the post you quoted.

So you have three parts:

"OK Google" activation.
Voice recognition, i.e. turning your words into written words accurately.
Actions, i.e. what Google then does with that information.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

This doesn't sounds like the same thing as the post you quoted.

So you have three parts:

"OK Google" activation.
Voice recognition, i.e. turning your words into written words accurately.
Actions, i.e. what Google then does with that information.

Oh, yeah, it's not. I was lazy and read half a post.

Yeah, element three is where it's poo poo for me.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

MikeJF posted:

No, that's not the issue I'm describing. If I can get it listening it generally understands me, and executes my commands. That said, very occasionally I do get the thing where it searches the phrase 'navigate to X' instead of actually navigating there. Weird that it should only happen rarely. My issue is that it either fails to recognise 'OK Google' or, even stranger, does recognise it but then doesn't listen to anything I say afterwards.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Mine takes a while to do the "i'm listening" beep sometimes so I have a lot of google searches for the phrase OK Google.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://youtu.be/XawHJIoTJBs

It isn't Google but Duolingo ain't that great either

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I noticed after reading Android Police that the google clock app was updated to 4.4 earlier.

Now, I barely use it, but I checked if my phone had updated, and it's still on 3.something. It's never updated this app. I checked the store, and Clocks is available for me to download, and having done so I now have 2 clock apps. The original is still on 3.something, and I cannot delete it.

Anyone now if there is some way I can force this thing to update, or get rid of it and replace it with the google clock on the play store?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uPen posted:

Siri call Uncle Yu's - I don't know who your uncle is, if you add him to contacts I could blah blah blah
Ok Google call Uncle Yu's - ordering you some Chinese food

Oh yeah, there are things Siri sucks at too. "Okay Google, what is Draymond Green's number?" gives me 23 while Siri can't even recognize his name. I was just impressed with being able to refer to my last action with a pronoun and have everything work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Funso Banjo posted:

I noticed after reading Android Police that the google clock app was updated to 4.4 earlier.

Now, I barely use it, but I checked if my phone had updated, and it's still on 3.something. It's never updated this app. I checked the store, and Clocks is available for me to download, and having done so I now have 2 clock apps. The original is still on 3.something, and I cannot delete it.

Anyone now if there is some way I can force this thing to update, or get rid of it and replace it with the google clock on the play store?
What phone is this? Your original clock app must have a different package name, so you can't override one with the other, but you can either just ignore it or possibly disable it in the settings.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Speaking of Google now and Siri:

Voice Assistant Anyone? Yes please, but not in public!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I agree with the people in the article - my experience talking to google now has been great, but I almost never use it, since it seems idiotic to be talking to my phone either in public or just around my family. When I'm by myself I'm slightly more likely to use it, but even then I'm more inclined to just use my finger as I'm more used to doing so.

Still works well, though.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Funso Banjo posted:

Plug your phone in and connect to wifi? Worked for me, i haven't done as much settings modifications as my old phone on my new one, but that's a "feature" I discovered accidentally last night.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My wife's old iPhone 4s and current 6 both puts "grandparents" at the end of everything we'd try to say to Siri. Like at least 80% of the time. It's the weirdest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chippy posted:

I believe voice activation is hardware-based...at the very least if the screen is off. This is probably greatly dependent upon mic, CPU/voice-recognition-hardware, and environment. This method uses much simpler pattern matching to recognize the key phrase.

In other words, Google isn't involved.

Not that this info helps, really...but it's an explanation.