Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

NmareBfly posted:

She's best around blind corners a lot of the time. Open fields of fire means she can't get close enough to do anything but lob mega slow projectiles that don't hit. Put up a sentry around a corner then lurk out of sight so you can say hello a second or two after it starts going off. In fact, have one right above your head while you wait so when you DO duck out and shoot if you see someone you can't deal with you can hope they chase you right into the mouth of the next sentry in line.

Totally. This is why one of the best uses for her teleporter is actually to act as bait. Once it's up, the other team can either divert resources from their push/defense to take it down or they can deal with lightning fast respawn waves for a while. Smart teams will make the teleporter a priority, but what usually happens is a tracer or a reaper will peel off to deal with it. So pop it in a room or somewhere defensible, place some sentries in the corridors leading up to the room and wait just inside the door. The sentries give you early warning that somebody is coming for the teleporter, and you can surprise them as they beeline into the room slightly weakened with an orb or even just your primary fire if they're weak enough.

It's a simple strategy, but if it ties up 1 to 2 flankers for a bit while your team defends the point or pushes through a chokepoint it can really make a difference for the team. And sometimes you get a hilarious 5 kills on some hapless Reaper as they repeatedly beach themselves on your defenses. Just don't make the mistake of setting your teleporter in a kill room with 6 turrets because Junkrat will just come and blow it up. Having the turrets be on the way to the room is significantly more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Streaming tonight's inhouses, check it out (and join up via my thread if you want to play)

http://www.hitbox.tv/Countblanc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Other than Lucio talk, lemme say this: losing a game to Sym is one of the worst feelings ever.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dias posted:

Picking off stragglers (in fact, just aiming his gun instead of mashing M1), switching auras on the fly if I see a Rein that's behind and my team is topped off, knowing when to Amp Up instead of just spamming it, dancing on the point or on the payload while 4 guys try to hit me.

I think Mercy is WAY more boring and way more frustrating to play if you don't play with a decent stack.

I have the exact same view. Probably play similarly!

I love m2ing mercys away from targets or dps away from mercy. I love amping speedboost for genjis ulting or zaryas roasting on people on high energy.

Speedboost can sometimes be more handy than healing to help someone get to LoS.

I always have speedboost up if nobody needs heals.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Munsun posted:

I love m2ing mercys away from targets or dps away from mercy.

I love one-shotting cocky Lucios that attempt this

Lucio is so incredibly boring to play most of the time that people playing him in pubs start to go stir crazy and try amusing themselves or, worse, going for a ~sick play watch this~

99.99% of the time it ends with them dead, sometimes complaining in matchchat about how terrible their team is (for not saving a diving Lucio from Genji???) and such

people tend to say things like "<character> mains are insufferable" but I don't know how you can main a specific character in this game; you can main a role, sure, but like a specific hero makes zero sense. that being said, I feel like half or maybe even more than half of the Lucios I see in pub solo queue games did not want to pick Lucio, they felt as if they had to pick him, and that creates a really negative feedback loop that probably won't be resolved until other supports get buffs, or Lucio gets a nerf

Someone give me tips on Pharah, because I really suck as Pharah and I don't want to, she's cool and gorgeous

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lucio doesn't have any reason to go try and be a flanker outside of some rare cliff setup, but that doesn't mean that anyone sitting behind the team and spamming blindly from safety is using him to his full potential. If nothing else, learn how do quick little wall ride routes so you can fire from odd angles. You're more likely to land shots if you're not defining obvious spam corridors and you'll split your enemy's attention.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mithross posted:

Me and a few friends ran into a 5 genji/1 Lucio party last night, got annoyed, and switched in some Winstons. I was pleasantly surprised when the enemy team stuck to their genji tactics, not because they were winning, but because they were dedicated to the bit. Next map they ran all hanzo.

On short, it was a troll team, but one that just ran with it to the end without being dicks, and so I applaud them, whoever they are.

we ran into the same genji gimmick and as soon as we countered and they saw they were losing, they suddenly had shielded bastions. They barely won, we ribbed them a bit, and on attack they went 2 Winston 4 reaper. An air force of Pharahs held them at the last curve and this time they stuck to their guns and lost.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The fun part of Lucio is using right-click to shove divers/flankers into difficult positions like punting Genji into a corner so everyone can kick the poo poo out of him and using speed boost to help one or two guys chase down a fleeing target then quickly return to safety. If you're using crossfade actively, you can secure a lot of extra kills that previously would have got out free.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anecdote: I've single handedly contested capture points against 4+ enemies as Lucio by wall riding like a madman, dodging Roadhog hooks and hitscan players failing to track me. Those players were probably bad, but it's fun to juke them with Lucio's insane mobility. My favorite thing to do is probably scaling the wall/ceiling and center spire on the Lijang Tower Control Center map.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Fellers, fellers, I think we can all agree that Lucio has really cool abilities like the Jet Set wall ride and the Soundblaster 16, and that these are truly effective tools in the hands of a skilled Lucio player. But let's also agree that 93% of his effectiveness and 94% of why he's picked is because of his passive healing ability, and that 95% of people playing Lucio do so because they feel they need to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Munsun posted:

People that do not like playing Lucio because he is boring: who is your favorite and why? I must know.

Symmetra because I like building stuff and then killing people with it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gandlethorpe posted:

Fellers, fellers, I think we can all agree that Lucio has really cool abilities like the Jet Set wall ride and the Soundblaster 16, and that these are truly effective tools in the hands of a skilled Lucio player. But let's also agree that 93% of his effectiveness and 94% of why he's picked is because of his passive healing ability, and that 95% of people playing Lucio do so because they feel they need to.

95% of people that pick support do it because they feel they need to tho. If it weren't so we'd actually see people slamming support before all the cool DPS classes.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I think the point is Lucio is really boring if you play him like most people play him, which is like a fast attacker with a lovely gun. He can be fun if you're using your mobility well and making yourself an annoying target for the other team, and if you're playing with people who are good at dodging the speed boost can actually be more useful than the heal. If you're just leaving your healing aura on 24/7 and skating around in circles shooting slow, weak projectiles I can see why you don't like him.

Lucio's kind of an odd character in that the most boring way to play him is still pretty effective and takes zero skill, so that's how everyone plays him.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The fun part of Lucio is using right-click to shove divers/flankers into difficult positions like punting Genji into a corner so everyone can kick the poo poo out of him and using speed boost to help one or two guys chase down a fleeing target then quickly return to safety. If you're using crossfade actively, you can secure a lot of extra kills that previously would have got out free.

this is why I feel like Tracer is in a really dangerous spot right now w/r/t balancing

if McCree and Widowmaker each take hits to their general efficacy, as I've seen talked about, Tracer suddenly becomes an unholy terror, because what's been keeping her even mildly in check is less Lucio RMB and more being one-shotted by those two specific heroes whenever she tries to get too cute

Genji, yeah, stuff him in a corner and after E runs out he dies immediately, Reaper you can block/shove into lovely spots to either force a Wraith or guarantee a kill, Junkrat, Soldier: 76, they're all pretty easy to gently caress up positioning-wise with Lucio; chasing with Crossfade is easy if you absolutely need to, etc.

but Tracer runs in and just straight up murders Zen/Lucio/Mercy/whatever and most of what holds her back is FB->Fan instakills, or getting bodyshot by Widowmaker. if that stuff goes away (which, for the record, I think it absolutely still should!) I think Tracer could become a mega-problem instead of just a regular problem

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
and i mean you DO need to, because you LOSE if you don't have support unless the other team is the Blind Boys of Alabama stack.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Munsun posted:

People that do not like playing Lucio because he is boring: who is your favorite and why? I must know.

Genji and Tracer because they go fast and you can look stylish as gently caress while also owning people

Also it's easy to get PotG with them

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This game brings out the best usernames. :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

this is why I feel like Tracer is in a really dangerous spot right now w/r/t balancing

if McCree and Widowmaker each take hits to their general efficacy, as I've seen talked about, Tracer suddenly becomes an unholy terror, because what's been keeping her even mildly in check is less Lucio RMB and more being one-shotted by those two specific heroes whenever she tries to get too cute

I said it back in beta: ramp up the cooldown on Blink and you've solved probably 2/3rds of Tracer's problems.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

blinking all over the place is what's fun about playing her though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's the true utility of M2. Shoving people off cliffs is cool and all, but pushing Winstons/Genjis away so they can get shot in the face from outside their good range is very useful. Pushing Mercy out, eh. Her heal beam has ICBM range anyway, and she can fly back to the fray in an instant.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Vermain posted:

I said it back in beta: ramp up the cooldown on Blink and you've solved probably 2/3rds of Tracer's problems.

I'm not really sure what the solution to Tracer should be - she's really satisfying and fun to play as and incredibly annoying and overpowering to play against, which presents sort of an equity nightmare in that if you nerf her you take fun out of your game for some people, and if you don't you're keeping fun out of the game for others. ultimately I think Tracer is actually pretty balanced, I just also happen to think that in a world without FB fanspam or Widowmaker capable of one-shotting you very easily by hitting you in the thigh, Tracer is also probably the best character in the game

she's almost certainly the best character to pick in solo queue, and it doesn't matter which side of a given map you're even on

edit: I mean, maybe make Recall her ult, and make Pulse Bomb her E and dramatically reduce its damage? or just scrap it for a new ability? I don't even know, except that I do know Recall is hella strong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really want a support whose special ability is teleporting all players on the team to their location.

And that location is the point.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Last night a friend and I rolled to victory a few times by combining a Zenyatta ult with a Soldier:76 ult. Turns out that both ults last about the same amount of time! It allows Soldier to just march right out into the open and unleash hot fury on everyone. On a more open map like some parts of Numbani where it can be hard to run away it was lethal.

(maybe a Lucio could have helped them run away in time...? :ninja: )

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

I really want a support whose special ability is teleporting all players on the team to their location.

And that location is the point.

Well.

You could put a teleporter on ANY point.

Make a hero that can ensare people on a 20m radius, and if you leave that area you get insta-gibbed. I'd only use it on my teammates.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
A support hero that burrows stockpiles into the ground to create health pickups that instantly reload clips and appear on everyone's screen like Symmetra turrets. Low level play, you use it to mark the location of existing HP sources, and at high level you use it to reinforce chokepoints.

And his E throws an ammo pack that causes the next clip the hero uses to do extra damage and have 50% more bullets.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dias posted:

Other than Lucio talk, lemme say this: losing a game to Sym is one of the worst feelings ever.

As a frequent Sym player, lemme say this: your tears nourish me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

As a frequent Sym player, lemme say this: your tears nourish me.

i...i just want my teammates to kill your teleporter and not feed you ult

i wanna do that too but since the first push got wiped and you have a teleporter up it's impossible now :smith:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I have played Reaper exactly twice and got potg both times. No wonder everyone loves this guy.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The sniper game kind of ruins the game. If one team has a really good one, you'd better hope your team has a solid one too. I guess Genji or Tracer can go hunting for her, but her escape is pretty insane.

Whenever there's a good sniper I go Winston or DVA and charge them until they quit

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Lady Naga posted:

She's either an American trying really hard to sound French or an actual French person playing up the accent to a ridiculous degree. Her actual lines are fine but she sounds like a cartoon.

Torbjörn can't even pronounce his own name. Which is fine, nobody cares

makes this other stuff seem kind of tame in comparison

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Getting a double kill while you are Mercy is highly satisfying. Been playing with nothing but pubs and getting a bit tired of it. Is the best way to get goonfriends to just go through the spreadsheet and add randoms on there?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

shaitan posted:

Getting a double kill while you are Mercy is highly satisfying. Been playing with nothing but pubs and getting a bit tired of it. Is the best way to get goonfriends to just go through the spreadsheet and add randoms on there?

Get discord and join one of the many groups that are always looking

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It is definitely possible to nerf mcree while still allowing him able to kill tracer with a combo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think you can best measure success as Zarya in how many ultimates the enemy wastes trying to stop you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_ianhRDXo

At least five in this video. Of course it's McCree that succeeded.

He ate poo poo hard right at the start, though. Turns out Fan the Hammer makes Zarya very, very angry.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

flashman posted:

It is definitely possible to nerf mcree while still allowing him able to kill tracer with a combo.

Tracer probably still gets an indirect buff in pub play because there'll be fewer McCrees.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
If there still was any doubt, Widowmaker's Voice Actor is the same in both english and french:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5fDMjT8X8

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Get discord and join one of the many groups that are always looking

Never used it but I did sign up for it last week, will look in there, thanks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Put a 3-5 second cooldown on FTH and McCree is fine.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tracer probably still gets an indirect buff in pub play because there'll be fewer McCrees.

It'll be fine though because those too noble to play mcree now will swap to counter when he is no longer broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

But really why does the hitscan sniper do 150 damage while the sniper with projectile and bullet drop mechanics only does 125