Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

OK, I'm looking for cover songs with a weird set of criteria. I want to hear covers that are genre-swapped and/or gender-swapped and preferably not weak acoustic guitar covers. I've been listening pretty heavily to In the Air by Alex MIDI, Sex by Cheat Codes, and Look Good in Leather by Ceci Bastida. Anything like these would be great, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqnmjZbolXc
:bape:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

OK, I'm looking for cover songs with a weird set of criteria. I want to hear covers that are genre-swapped and/or gender-swapped and preferably not weak acoustic guitar covers. I've been listening pretty heavily to In the Air by Alex MIDI, Sex by Cheat Codes, and Look Good in Leather by Ceci Bastida. Anything like these would be great, thanks!

here's one I've always loved that fits all of your criteria and then some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3amT-4w4I

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:swoon:

Thank you!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey thread, I'm looking for more songs in the vein of 'The Fox the Crow and the Cookie' by mewithoutyou or 'Driftwood: a fairy tale' by Cursive. Short dreamy somber fictional stories in song form.

Similar songs by the same artists will work too, I'm inexperienced with the genre and started a Spotify radio station off a playlist of the two songs. It gave me 'Rumbrave' by Murder by Death which was cool but it took a while to sift through all the post hardcore love songs for it. Also gave me 'Chlorophyll' by Son, Ambulance which has a nice track but with meaningless lyrics, not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know any fantastic brass band covers of famous songs? Something like Hot 8 Brass Band's cover of Sexual Healing?

Something that captures the song, explores the melody and (in my opinion) redefines it.

Jinh posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking for more songs in the vein of 'The Fox the Crow and the Cookie' by mewithoutyou or 'Driftwood: a fairy tale' by Cursive. Short dreamy somber fictional stories in song form.

Similar songs by the same artists will work too, I'm inexperienced with the genre and started a Spotify radio station off a playlist of the two songs. It gave me 'Rumbrave' by Murder by Death which was cool but it took a while to sift through all the post hardcore love songs for it. Also gave me 'Chlorophyll' by Son, Ambulance which has a nice track but with meaningless lyrics, not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!

Maybe some of these will scratch your itch?

Frank Black & The Catholics (Check out their eponymous album and Show Me Your Tears)
Father John Misty
Neutral Milk Hotel
Man Man (I saw them live with Murder By Death)
The Mountain Goats

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh wow I can't believe I forgot NMH, the classic hipster anthem. Loving Man Man and The Mountain Goats too, thanks!

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
Recently got into a mixed bag of hardcore punk (Agnostic Front, Sick of it all, The Exploited) and some thrashier stuff (Sacred Reich, Suicidal Tendencies) what can NMD throw at me to check out thats along these lines?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheCrushinator posted:

Recently got into a mixed bag of hardcore punk (Agnostic Front, Sick of it all, The Exploited) and some thrashier stuff (Sacred Reich, Suicidal Tendencies) what can NMD throw at me to check out thats along these lines?

Not a crossover expert but D.R.I. and S.O.D. for sure.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

TheCrushinator posted:

a bit ruder than what you listed but thrashy: dri, ratos de porão, forca macabra, infest, los crudos, sarcofago, sacrilege

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not a crossover expert but D.R.I. and S.O.D. for sure.

Massive S.O.D fan, never really checked out D.R.I so will give them a go, cheers!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheCrushinator posted:

Fearless Iranians From Hell

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
does anyone know of any post-wwII classic pop and/or pop-country music that sounds way ahead of its time? i'm thinking like poo poo your grandma listens to. eddy arnold and whatnot.

I've been listening to a lot of Les Paul lately, who basically invented studio overdubs, close vocal miking, and the cutaway solidbody guitar, and then did some really cool-sounding poo poo with all of those things that's way more interesting than all the other grandmarock i listened to with my grandma when i was a kid.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 15, 2016

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

quadrophrenic posted:

does anyone know of any post-wwII classic pop and/or pop-country music that sounds way ahead of its time? i'm thinking like poo poo your grandma listens to. eddy arnold and whatnot.

as soon as i started reading your post i was thinking, "Les Paul," but, well, you've got that covered. maybe Chet Atkins, Django Reinhardt, Roy Lanham, or Roy Clark. not necessarily all ahead of their time, but all awesome and highly influential, so...

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Looking to dig into britpop, but not entirely sure where to go from here. I really enjoyed the first two albums by Oasis, even liked the first one more than the second. The Verve is amazing. Strongly disliked Parklife but I might be able to give Blur another chance if any other albums are solid.

Basically I just want to hear more of the first two albums by Oasis and anything by The Verve. Any album/band recommendations?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You might enjoy Suede. Comparable to Oasis in some respects, but they're a bit more Bowie than Beatles.

I quite like Kula Shaker.

The first Stone Roses album isn't quite Britpop but it was one of Noel Gallagher's biggest influences so you might like to try it if you haven't heard it already.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

goose fleet posted:

Looking to dig into britpop, but not entirely sure where to go from here. I really enjoyed the first two albums by Oasis, even liked the first one more than the second. The Verve is amazing. Strongly disliked Parklife but I might be able to give Blur another chance if any other albums are solid.

Basically I just want to hear more of the first two albums by Oasis and anything by The Verve. Any album/band recommendations?

Have you tried listening to Pulp? You should try listening to Pulp. Different Class is probably the best point of entry, but I'm partial to This is Hardcore myself.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I don't really care about normal Tame Impala, but for some reason I dig the poo poo out of this remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0o8zVdUSFE

Are there other songs/genres that go for this type of sound? Sort of a classic/psychedelic rock mixed with more modern pulsing electronic elements

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I have a weird, very subjective request: artists with especially beautiful lyrics. Essentially, I'm looking for lyrics that strike you the same way your favorite pieces of poetry do. Any genre, from this year or 50 years ago; doesn't matter.

I realize this is a music forum, but nevertheless I think lyrics still have their role (however big or small that may be).

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Oliver Reed posted:

I have a weird, very subjective request: artists with especially beautiful lyrics. Essentially, I'm looking for lyrics that strike you the same way your favorite pieces of poetry do. Any genre, from this year or 50 years ago; doesn't matter.

I realize this is a music forum, but nevertheless I think lyrics still have their role (however big or small that may be).

Joanna Newsom

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oliver Reed posted:

Scott Walker

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Oliver Reed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyV4pY3wGME

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Oliver Reed posted:

The metal band Wuthering Heights. Heavy Metal in general isn't exactly a hotbed for great lyrics, but this band has some stirring, poetic stuff. The music fits it too, being very melodic, dramatic and slightly folky at times.

The Desperate Poet starts off in a rather playful tone, with rhymes strewn all over, until the middle point at 3:10 where the titular poet apparently finds his muse or something, and that part just ties my heart strings in a knot. (Note that the song actually ends around the 6:20 mark, the uploader just goofed up somehow)

Weather the Storm kinda teeters on the verge of being a bit too melodramatic, but I still sincerely enjoy the lyrics. I mean the music is pretty grandiose so it just fits that the lyrics are kinda larger-than-life too.

(both videos have lyrics in the video desription)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

You should listen to Current 93

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have anything like Red Glow by Patto?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

quadrophrenic posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Les Paul lately, who basically invented studio overdubs, close vocal miking, and the cutaway solidbody guitar, and then did some really cool-sounding poo poo with all of those things that's way more interesting than all the other grandmarock i listened to with my grandma when i was a kid.

Dick Dale (most known for the Pulp Fiction main theme, which still sounds fresh. Take a guess when it was written)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm looking for music that's devastatingly sad and beautiful in the style of Hand Cannot Erase, and specifically in the style of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTo6bNmX2I

And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuLgg6f9JI

There's nothing by Steven Wilson I haven't listened to, so I've been through his similar stuff in his various projects, but I'm having trouble finding something that has the kind of relatable story and concept that Hand has, and doesn't veer into weird and tacky Dream Theater kitsch. Genre keywords would be prog-rock, ambient, spoken word, electronic and symphonic, I guess.

Edit:
I could probably post a dozen more songs but that would get messy, so here's two more for inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycYewhiaVBk

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 21, 2016

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Holy gently caress Pulp is amazing, thanks!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Suede /Kula Shaker /Stone Roses

Suede and Stone Roses are both very good, thank you too! I also really liked Kula Shaker, they really nail that 60s psychedelic sound.

I guess I have another request, then: 90s bands with a 60s psych sound?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

goose fleet posted:

the Elephant Six bands will give you a lot to chew on. Super Furry Animals, Green Pajamas, Telepathic Butterflies, Starlight Mints, Applesaucer, the Lilys, Kingsbury Manx, Yo La Tengo (a few of those are early 2000s)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

goose fleet posted:

Holy gently caress Pulp is amazing, thanks!

Suede and Stone Roses are both very good, thank you too! I also really liked Kula Shaker, they really nail that 60s psychedelic sound.

Are you limiting yourself to the 90's for a specific reason?

Dukes of Stratosphear were out of the late 80's but they absolutely nailed 60's psychedelia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGF7o_I4mAw

And in recent years, modern psychedelic has gotten huge. Check out Tame Impala's album Lonerism for another suggestion. Same with King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and their album Paper Mâché Dream Balloon.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 23, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quadrophrenic posted:

Maybe Johnny "Guitar" Watson's mid-50s work? He's best known for being a funkster in the 70s and he did soul in the 60s, but in the 1950s he was doing stuff that was pretty much light years ahead of its time. Like, Hendrix stuff about a decade before Hendrix had even done major session work, much less had a hit record.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the absence of a general music chat and / or general R&B or soul thread, I'm going to note the very sad news that Wayne Jackson of the Memphis Horns has died at the age of 74. As a trumpeter, he was a stalwart of Stax Records, and with his friend Andrew Love went on to play on a range of popular records after their time at that great label ended.

In addition to the 1960s Stax material, he played on records like "Sweet Caroline", "Suspicious Minds" and "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel, among many others. A great musician who will be sorely missed.

Consequently, I recommend that everyone check out some Stax stuff from the 1960s and have a listen to the horn lines, because they all tell these great little stories. Check out Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul and Complete and Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul by Otis Redding, Soul Man and I Thank You by Sam & Dave, Last Night by the Mar-Keys, and The Soul of a Bell by William Bell.

I'm pretty sure Steve Cropper and Booker T. Jones are the last two guys left from the original Stax house band. :(

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

me your dad posted:

Are you limiting yourself to the 90's for a specific reason?

Not really, it's just that since I started out with Oasis and some other bands I was looking to branch out from that sound, but the exact year doesn't matter much.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

goose fleet posted:

broadcast

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Brian Jonestown Massacre.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh man. Thanks for all these recommendations, really enjoying it all.

Here's another, more specific request: what are some songs with a very similar sound/feel to How Soon Is Now?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not familiar with the Smiths but I would toss out a recommendation that's just occurred to me - another one of Noel Gallagher's favourite bands. It's the first two albums by the Specials - Specials and More Specials. They're great; really worth a listen.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

goose fleet posted:

Oh man. Thanks for all these recommendations, really enjoying it all.

Here's another, more specific request: what are some songs with a very similar sound/feel to How Soon Is Now?

"Feel" can be pretty subjective, but...

Lips Like Sugar - Echo and the Bunnymen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hGcJA8fXvU

Kiss Them for Me - Siouxie and the Banshees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGSb3pCUEM

So Alive - Love and Rockets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5wxR081YQ

Moving in Stereo - The Cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhfFXEMMI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dooinit
Jun 1, 2016

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Where should I go after Lightning Bolt? I love their latest album especially.