Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

VikingofRock posted:

So wait, does Clinton actually have an outright majority of the possible pledged delegates at this point? If not, what changed about her situation today vs. any time in the last couple months when it was clear she would eventually get a majority?

They're counting super-delegates which they polled. She will almost certainly clinch a majority of pledged delegates tomorrow. Because super delegates make up 15% of the vote, it's hard to get an actual majority without them (it's happened all of twice since they were introduced into the process, and hasn't happened since 2000).

ComradeCosmobot posted:

She does not have a pledged delegate majority. AP's counts include superdelegates who have endorsed Hillary.

They actually polled supers. It's in the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dexo posted:

Yeah, Trump totally loving wants out of this nomination. The logic part of my brain won't allow me to accept otherwise.

This is possible. If this really was a PR stunt, it's hilarious because his exit strategy of "be a racist facist piece of poo poo" is only endearing him to his constituency.

More likely he is a raging narcissist and is completely deluded.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lololol

https://twitter.com/huffpostpol/status/739972920701792256

He just doesn't know when to shut up does he.

We were joking about him eventually narrowing the set of acceptable judges to white ones but it's actually happening

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can we take a moment to recognize just how badly Trump has botched the last month of his 'campaign'? He's been the unopposed Republican presumptive nominee for over a month now. With Hillary still engaged with Bernie this was his shot to actually try and make up some ground. To try and get his campaign in order, to lay the much needed ground work for a general election. He saw his polling get better due to the Republicans coalescing around him even if it only amounted to a couple polls of him ahead and the rest with him still behind by a couple points. If he was ever going to even attempt to pivot this would have been the time when he had all the attention on him. But no, he does nothing during the entire month aside from spout of petty insults on twitter as usual. So over the last couple weeks we've seen his poll numbers start to dip as his honeymoon period as the presumptive nominee comes to and end and Hillary starts devoting attention toward the General Election. She lays down a massive smackdown with an incredible speech detailing just how awful he is in every way. And what does he do in response? He chooses to close the month out by disastrously going after a federal judge on purely racist grounds. He had a month to endear himself to someone outside his small racist base and he failed in every single way.

Well his time is over. Tomorrow Hillary wraps up the Democratic nomination. Obama and Elizabeth Warren will finally start to unleash a torrent of support for Hillary and attacks on Trump. Hillary herself will finally be able to direct her full attention toward Trump. Trump has absolutely no idea what's coming and he isn't prepared for it one bit.

I remember back before Trump entered the race the accepted wisdom here was that the GOP not only had an uphill battle to fight, but that their primary was going to do them more harm than good. Mostly because in order to win the primary you have to appeal to ideas that are toxic in the general and balancing the two has become increasingly impossible.

That common wisdom is still true but holy moly I didn't think it'd be anything like this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

What are the chances of the GOP losing control of the House if the Trumpenreich continues as is until November? It seems like he's fracturing the Right far harder than most people were expecting him to.

Furthermore, what are the chances the Dems would seize the opportunity to actually make laws if they actually got control of it?

It might not be mathematically possible for the GOP to lose the house unless the GOP would actually split in to two parties for this election. The House is Gerrymandered as all gently caress and heavily in the GOP's favor.

Hollismason posted:

I don't think that can actually legitimately happen.

Barack Obama cannot be VP because he has already served two terms as POTUS.

Michelle would sooner campaign for Donald Trump or slap Hilary on live TV than accept something that'd keep her in DC for another 4-8 years. She'd burn DC to the ground and salt the earth if it'd let her leave a day sooner. Living in DC by all accounts sucks, Michelle knows and doesn't hide it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They actually polled supers. It's in the release.

Sure, I wasn't disputing that with superdelegates, she's got it. Just that she doesn't yet have a majority of pledged delegates. It's a meaningless distinction because those superdelegates aren't going to swing for Bernie, but it's still a distinction.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

this whole line is dumb because technically nobody votes until the convention and what if 4,764 of the 4,765 delegates die right before casting their vote and the 1 remaining delegate votes for Deez Nuts?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

this whole line is dumb because technically nobody votes until the convention and what if 4,764 of the 4,765 delegates die right before casting their vote and the 1 remaining delegate votes for Deez Nuts?

we all remember bobby kennedy

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

She stands there in front of the roaring convention- balloons and confetti all around- waiting for the feeling to enter her. "Nothing." She whispers to herself.

"Still nothing."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's not as if Bernie can just say "yep, it's over" -- i mean he could but, lol if you think that's going to happen.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Basically the AP have been calling supers and asking them who they're voting for, and apparently enough have told them Clinton that them + pledges = enough to clinch so they're calling it.

I doubt she changes any of her plans for tomorrow over it though, as sitting back and dusting her shoulder would seriously piss off the Bernouts, while saying something like, "that's nice and all but the pledged delegates on the line tomorrow are way more important!" is the better move for the near future

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Basically the AP have been calling supers and asking them who they're voting for, and apparently enough have told them Clinton that them + pledges = enough to clinch so they're calling it.

I doubt she changes any of her plans for tomorrow over it though, as sitting back and dusting her shoulder would seriously piss off the Bernouts, while saying something like, "that's nice and all but the pledged delegates on the line tomorrow are way more important!" is the better move for the near future

She already responded with as much.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/739983730002022400

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Lol

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/739939661091635201

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Memorizing their faces so he can find them and kill them later.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

God.... I would pay money, cash money, to have this on film.

I would watch it every morning and have a FANTASTIC day afterwards.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Calling the nom right now is loving stupid and AP should be ashamed. Not because Bernie could win, but because she didn't win. Just literally did not win yet. That's not a thing that has happened, yet.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

Calling the nom right now is loving stupid and AP should be ashamed. Not because Bernie could win, but because she didn't win. Just literally did not win yet. That's not a thing that has happened, yet.

Explain.

Start with who, having the power to actually nominate, has already cast a vote.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Taima posted:

Could have waited until after tomorrow. Would that change your opinion? It won't change the outcome however.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well poo poo now I actually want Sanders to win just so he can quote this on twitter and create this century's"Dewey Beats Truman" moment.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Love Her.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Slate has an article about the probable loss of former Tea Party darling/now "big government liberal" Rep. Renee Ellmers (because she didn't vote to block the debt ceiling hikes and stripped a provision which would have required women to file rape reports with the police in order to get the dispensation for rape victims to have an abortion after 20 weeks)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DemeaninDemon posted:

Could have waited until after tomorrow. Would that change your opinion? It won't change the outcome however.

I'm fine with the outcome, which will happen tomorrow, not today. Nitpicky I guess, but they're the AP. Please wait until the thing has happened, to say that it has happened.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 7, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo

https://psmag.com/election-season-politics-with-ralph-nader-public-interest-crusader-82d6fbd6e13d#.anfq5owqi

quote:

Now that you mention it, Trump is a fascinating phenomenon. What does his popularity tell you about the electorate and what they want?

Well, and you see this when you walk past construction sites and you talk with white male workers, they feel they have been verbally repressed. It’s hard for someone your age to understand what I’m about to say. They like to stand on a corner and whistle at a pretty lady. They like to flirt. But they can’t do that anymore. Multiply that across the continuum. You can’t say this about that, and you can’t say that about this. And the employer tells you to hush. And perhaps your spouse tells you to hush, and your kids tell you to hush. So they have a whole language that they inherited — ethnic words like Polack. A lot of these people grew up on ethnic jokes, which are totally taboo now. Do you know, Lydia, there are no ethnic-joke books in bookstores anymore?

There used to be?

All the time. There were Negro-joke books, Jewish-joke books, Polish-joke books, Italian-joke books. They used ethnic jokes to reduce tension in the 1930s, ’40s, ’50s. And they’d laugh at each other’s jokes and hurl another one. But it still flows through ethnic America, you know. There are hundreds of things that people would like to say. So here’s this guy — he doubles down on them, he blows their minds. So that’s the first way he got their attention.

Do you think Trump has a point about political correctness? That we’ve gotten too uptight?

Oh, yeah. You see it on campuses — what is it called, trigger warnings? It’s gotten absurd. I mean, you repress people, you engage in anger, and what you do is turn people into skins that are blistered by moonbeams. Young men now are far too sensitive because they’ve never been in a draft. They’ve never had a sergeant say, “Hit the ground and do 50 push-ups and I don’t care if there’s mud there.”

Ralph Nader Everybody.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So did he hit his head or does he just not give a gently caress about anything anymore?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

He's just jealous everybody thinks Trump is the biggest oval office around and wants to reclaim the title.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Is it possible that Trump could win Michigan and Wisconsin?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So did he hit his head or does he just not give a gently caress about anything anymore?

on one hand, he might have went all in on white identity politics, given his whining about affirmative action earlier this year

on the other hand, he might just be desperately trying to stay relevant

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lololol

https://twitter.com/huffpostpol/status/739972920701792256

He just doesn't know when to shut up does he.
Keep this statement in mind, and now imagine the first General Election presidential debate.

The debate where Trump is going to be trapped on stage with Hillary for two hours with no escape.

The one where Hillary will be out for his blood.

God I love politics sometimes.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 7, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fade5 posted:

Keep this statement in mind, and now imagine the first General Election presidential debate.

The debate where Trump is going to be trapped on stage with Hillary for two hours with no escape.

The one where Hillary will be out for his blood.

God I love politics sometimes.

Hillary is going to give her first actual genuine human being smile when that debate first starts.

It's gonna own.

She might as well set up a Summer Jam Screen

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

I'm fine with the outcome, which will happen tomorrow, not today. Nitpicky I guess, but they're the AP. Please wait until the thing has happened, to say that it has happened.

It happened though :confused:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Taima posted:

It happened but yeah I'm kind of with you. Doing it now just gets clicks. In end, who cares all hail Abuela.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh my God your gimmick is insufferable!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CelestialScribe posted:

Reminder that Trump lost Wisconsin while in the middle of an upswing during the GOP primary, hard.

That said, the GOP will surely rally around him, but as poo poo as Wisconsin is in state politics, it's going blue again with both a Hillary and Feingold at the national level.

DemeaninDemon posted:

It happened but yeah I'm kind of with you. Doing it now just gets clicks. In end, who cares all hail Abuela.

My problem with the sentiment is that it implies that the process is illegitimate. It's not, and at this stage Bernie Sanders had endorsed Obama in 2008 saying that the primary was over.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dexo posted:

I wonder do they have to put a name with a political party on the presidential election ballot.

Could they just have "Republican party Canidate"?

In most states there is required to be a name. A placeholder name could be used for that, of a valid candidate, and then when it comes to electoral college voting time the ones elected on the Republican ticket could be instructed they should really vote for whoever.

Of course, electors can't be forced to vote for anyone if they don't want to, so in that situation some might vote for the placeholder name candidate while others vote for that party's new candidate, and it'd probably result in that party losing due to split votes!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Oh my god, if libertarians actually get house seats in blood red districts

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Oh my god, if libertarians actually get house seats in blood red districts

I'd vote for that dude who went on stage and stripped naked at the Libertarian convention

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Lynching is "back", and you'll never guess who's being accused of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

.......:psyduck: How. Between Lousiana's Police Hate Crime laws and this, what the hell.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CommieGIR posted:

.......:psyduck: How. Between Lousiana's Police Hate Crime laws and this, what the hell.

The definition of lynching in the criminal code at the time was removing someone from police custody. The more :psyduck: example cited in that article, though, is a protester that was almost accused of "lynching herself," by screaming "help" during a police raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I'm mostly flabbergasted that nobody in the DA's office was able to say "hey, you know, this probably won't look so good, we may want to rethink this charge." I mean, maybe one nutjob wanted to make a point, but there wasn't anyone to talk them down?

• Locked thread