Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Dragon's crown is more or less a loot game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
How different are the Atelier games? I know theres one coming out this week, but would it be much different than just buying one of the older ones on sale?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fancy Hat! posted:

How different are the Atelier games? I know theres one coming out this week, but would it be much different than just buying one of the older ones on sale?

as far as i know they've all got the same general focus and just make little adjustments to how things work between installments, like games after ayesha being much more lax about time and one of the newer ones changing how synthesis works

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

okay, i was thinking of shattered memories. couldn't for the life of me understand why silent hill and dungeon crawler were in the same sentence.

anyway, it looks bad.

It's a actually not good dungeon crawler with a thin veneer of Silent Hill, just enough to make people mad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think they also switch up combat systems whenever they change settings, so Sophie's probably a bit more simple in that regard than Escha and Shallie.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I wish you could upgrade your weapons in EDF individually, like every duplicate weapon you get increases the stats a bit or something. THAT would make it a pro tier loot game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Dragon's crown is more or less a loot game

Dragon's Crown is a pretty decent ipdate of the old D&D arcade games, the skeevy art notwithstanding.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

abagofcheetos posted:

I wish you could upgrade your weapons in EDF individually, like every duplicate weapon you get increases the stats a bit or something. THAT would make it a pro tier loot game.

Yes I too wish to grind for 1000 Lysander Zs instead of just the one

Farali
Feb 18, 2012
When do new games get released on the PS Store? On midnight?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Yes I too wish to grind for 1000 Lysander Zs instead of just the one

it would be something. i want to complete each level on easy and normal, but it's frustrating that i've exhausted the weapon drop pool for those difficulties.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

it would be something. i want to complete each level on easy and normal, but it's frustrating that i've exhausted the weapon drop pool for those difficulties.

Just poke into later difficulties. There's almost always at least one mission you can do "early" to snag upgrades in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If Zero Escape 3 doesn't release at midnight i'll be Extremely Angry

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I do wish there was an actual good lootgame on Vita. Your options are..what, Borderlands 2, Silent Hill and Dungeon Hunters Alliance or whatever? I need a Vita port of Champions of Norrath or BG Dark Alliance or something.

Could always stream diablo 3 to it if you've got a ps4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Failboattootoot posted:

Could always stream diablo 3 to it if you've got a ps4.

I do, and have, but something native would be nice for those few times I actually leave home.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Farali posted:

When do new games get released on the PS Store? On midnight?

Unless something special has been declared, things come out with the standard update. If it's a custom-scheduled update with a preview (I don't know if they've had custom-scheduled updates WITHOUT previews yet), especially if it's a preload, it'll tell you there.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm happy to see the thread has made a little bit of a revival after how bad it got at the start of the year. I've not been paying attention since the last thread, and I haven't touched my Vita much lately. Has there been anything notable and fun released since the start of the year? I'm looking to start playing on my travel to work again.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

If Zero Escape 3 doesn't release at midnight i'll be Extremely Angry

uhhhhh

midnight three weeks from now, maybe

CrashScreen posted:

I'm happy to see the thread has made a little bit of a revival after how bad it got at the start of the year. I've not been paying attention since the last thread, and I haven't touched my Vita much lately. Has there been anything notable and fun released since the start of the year? I'm looking to start playing on my travel to work again.

uhhhhh

midnight three weeks from now, maybe

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Serious answer: Zero Time Dilemma (a.k.a 999 the concluding part) on the 28th, Grand Kingdom, Odin Sphere Remake and Atelier Sophie all come out in the next couple weeks, Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel, EDF2, Bastion, Axiom Verge, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Digimon: Cyber Sleuth.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

CrashScreen posted:

Has there been anything notable and fun released since the start of the year? I'm looking to start playing on my travel to work again.
Quick and dirty list of things that may be interesting:

Downwell ; MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies ; Ray Gigant ; Severed ; Stranger of Sword City ; Axiom Verge ; Grand Theft Auto PS Vita Collection ; Risk of Rain ; Skullgirls: 2nd Encore ; A Virus Named TOM ; Trillion: God of Destruction ; Unepic ; Day of the Tentacle Remastered ; XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus ; Senran Kagura: Estival Versus ; Samurai Warriors 4 Empires ; Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault ; Dreii ; Hitman GO: Definitive Edition ; Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth ; Crypt of the NecroDancer ; Saturday Morning RPG ; A Boy and His Blob ; Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky ; The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ; Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star ; TowerFall Ascension ; Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders From Planet Space ; Nuclear Throne ; Bastion ;

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well, drat. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks for the lists! I'll look into them.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Light Gun Man posted:

Just poke into later difficulties. There's almost always at least one mission you can do "early" to snag upgrades in.

Yeah but chances are they are going to be outside of your level restriction anyway, making it pointless.

I play online only basically, so I go through the entire game on a difficulty basically using the same 2 weapons.

Farali
Feb 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir comes out tomorrow, which is honestly the only reason I have a Vita. The demo is out now if you want to try it out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Somehow, I'd missed that SRW V is going to be on Vita. :getin:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

I need a Vita port of Champions of Norrath or BG Dark Alliance or something.

Holy gently caress, now I want this.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fairly sure it can, I'll test it later. PS3 remote play is still loving awful, but.

Midjack posted:

Tried it just now and it works.
Well that's pretty neat, even if it's not the smoothest experience. I have a decent backlog of PS1 discs, so I could see it being handy for some JRPG grinding at least.

Is there any reason not to just go for the current Vita model? I'm reading about the older version having a better screen. I have a decent eye for that sort of thing, but I'm thinking it may not matter if I have no prior experience with either model.

I am also curious about the Cross-save feature. Is it relatively common among PS3/Vita titles? Can it be assumed that any title listed as "Cross Play" will also do the Cross Save stuff? If I could work with, say, my current Spelunky PS3 save on the go, that'd be rad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Minidust posted:

Is there any reason not to just go for the current Vita model? I'm reading about the older version having a better screen. I have a decent eye for that sort of thing, but I'm thinking it may not matter if I have no prior experience with either model.

Original one has a better screen (OLED vs. LCD), but a proprietary charging port instead of microUSB, and is slightly fatter. Other than that, no difference whatsoever unless you plan on importing accessories from Japan, in which case stuff for the PCH-2000 tends to be slightly more common than for the -1000.

It's worth noting that second-hand PCH-1000s tend to go for pretty cheap (like, $100-130ish).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

what the gently caress

It's to save you from giving Konami any money

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New "gameplay" videos showcasing Uppers Helicopter Drop and Evade & Counter mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBvAfNJH3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7MPyQesaYQ

Bad editing aside, the helicopter one bugs me for how poor graphics look, is like something out of a PSP game, not a vita one.

Evade & Counter is exactly that and at least in the demos isnt nothing really impressive. The interesting thing is that bosses can do it too though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stop posting about Uppers. You hate it, and the people who might be interested aren't going to be convinced with your posts. Just save yourself the trouble, dude.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm not trying to convince anyone though. I'm just passing the information along and giving my opinion.

:shrug:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The "punch into helicopter" animation is down-right lovely. There's about 8 frames of arm windup, then literally 2 frames of punch, camera flips down and stays static while an 8 frame explosion effect plays, then pans up in a straight arc while the enemy flies vertically up without even flailing, hits the rotor with a little explosion that's impossible to tell unless you look at the flames, and the camera then, instead of panning back down, moves straight down, which you can't tell until buildings show due to the skybox following it. The only noticable screenshake happens at the explosion.

The whole animation and direction there looks like it was made by an intern who's collecting internship hours to get into college.

Actually, it looks like some of these Source Filmmaker videos that are only slightly more than storyboards.

Did they say whether this is supposed to be a prototype animation or the finished thing?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm not trying to convince anyone though. I'm just passing the information along and giving my opinion.

Your opinion is the same every time. You hate it. We know you hate it. And your anti-enthusiasm for the game has made it completely uninteresting for even me, someone who had no real investment in the thing.

I get that you're upset about it and are still going to inexplicably going to buy it anyway, but you don't have to be Downer_Tzitzimine every time the game comes up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

why would people want to hear information on a game from somebody who constantly makes remarks about how terrible it looks

all you're doing is wasting time showing people footage of a game they don't care about, only instead of senran kagura this time it's not even something you like

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mithaldu posted:

Did they say whether this is supposed to be a prototype animation or the finished thing?

Finished thing would be my guess since is the exact same animation present in the demos

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
My copy of Odin Sphere came a day early, any opinions on the English dub or should I stick to Japanese?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The English Dub is really good

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Minidust posted:

I've picked up two vitas inside a couple months. I got the 1000 first and immediately sold it bc it felt too bulky to carry around and the battery life wasn't great. I now have a slim and like it immensely better due to form factor and battery life. Yes the oled is slightly better but not enough to counter the above points.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

My copy of Odin Sphere came a day early, any opinions on the English dub or should I stick to Japanese?

I hate you

and English

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Uppers looks bad and it's a waste of time to keep posting about it IMHO.

Can't wait for 2 Soul 2 Sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

In rare instances, I find the English dub of a Japanese game/show to be quite good. Valkyria Chronicles is one such case. Odin Sphere is not.