Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

An Ice Cave in Lair 3 had some REALLY good swords for me. And I'm already going LBs! :woop:

Edit And Okawaru just gifted me a +10 plate armor of ponderousness. As a formicid.

I know I shouldn't wear it. But I want to. So badly.

+10 saves me more than the movespeed kills me. (1.1 turns per step gives you plenty of non-degenerate motion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Are there any other things on the plate that make it good?

The thing about a Formicid is that your main strategy should be to make yourself as near invincible as possible. You shouldn't need to run.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Akett posted:

Are there any other things on the plate that make it good?

The thing about a Formicid is that your main strategy should be to make yourself as near invincible as possible. You shouldn't need to run.

a good formicid should be sporting both a tower shield and a 2-handed weapon

it's 15 shields skill to completely negate tower shield penalties on a formicid, i think

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
'You killed the one-headed hydra.'

'I think that's just, like, a lovely dragon.'

'It's a snake with feet."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Poison Mushroom posted:

What's a recommended replacement for scrolls of Tele for Formicids, aside from playing carefully? Scroll of Fear?

Self shaft is good for emergencies.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Microcline posted:

code:
1477976 cliffracer the Petrodigitator (level 27, 188/188 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on May 30, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 5, 2016!

The game lasted 16:54:15 (112459 turns).

cliffracer the Petrodigitator (GrEE)              Turns: 112459, Time: 16:54:15

Health: 188/188    AC: 50    Str: 15    XL:     27
Magic:  9/51       EV: 18    Int: 35    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   4566       SH:  9    Dex: 10    Spells: 13 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +7 mace of Causality {flame, rC+}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    V - +5 ring mail {MR+}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    q - +3 buckler {AC+3}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    j - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Z - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    u - +2 pair of gloves "Onusk" {rF++ rN+ Regen+ Slay-2}
SustAt .          Harm     .    E - +4 pair of boots of Decompression {rF+ rC+}
MR     ++++.                    J - amulet of Oniav {Reflect MR+ SH+2 SInv}
Stlth  ..........               l - ring of resist corrosion
                                k - +6 ring of intelligence

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, hasted, repel missiles, very quick,
incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: big wings, deterioration 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity
resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
I think I've got the basics down and it's time to learn about the postgame branches. What's the most reliable build for 15-rune runs? MiFi pure melee who goes Oka->Zin/TSO? Caster? Hybrid melee? Necromutation/transmuter shenanigans?

As someone who recently did a 15 rune MiFi, I can't imagine doing hell without TSO. If you're gonna do a melee guy, go Oka->TSO or just TSO.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Taking bets on where this will splat.
code:
Finley the Conjurer (Deep Elf Conjurer)             Turns: 4858, Time: 00:17:23
w - staff of wizardry
C - +0 robe {Archmagi}
You are on level 5 of the Dungeon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nanomashoes posted:

As someone who recently did a 15 rune MiFi, I can't imagine doing hell without TSO. If you're gonna do a melee guy, go Oka->TSO or just TSO.

Nah, go Zin. Negating half of the hell effects passively and a fair amount of the rest with Vitalise along with turning chaff into pillars of salt and confusing demon lords with zero cost... Zin is a good god.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think I prefer TSO for hell because it's so much easier to get HP back. Resting in hell sucks

SirSamVimes posted:

My suggestion was to make it work like Drain or stat rot and require you to gain experience to remove it. Wretched Stars and Demonspawn Corruptors can give large amounts of muts with smite targetting that go away with a small amount of exp, and malmutators can give ones that take a longer time to remove.
This is what I meant by "temporary", along the lines of the temporary mutations wretched stars give.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Zin is great, vitalisation gives you 60% of Chei's stat boost for almost no piety cost (and Zin piety is super-duper easy to get, anyway) but doesn't slow you down or stop you from casting haste. And you get some really powerful defensive moves on top of recite, which can even salt greater mummies if you're really lucky. Not to mention rMut and hell effect protection. But TSO's health on kill and rN+++ are a huge help against torment, which can be terrifying for your first time in extended. Zin worshippers tend to be a little vulnerable to torment because they have no necromancy and no other way to regain HP. In the end, though, I think the two gods are pretty even, but Zin is a lot more fun.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Akett posted:

This is why I like Chei with Formicid. It's considered a meme by some because slow move speed and no tele / haste makes it even harder to retreat. But Formicids already can't haste, so they don't lose it with Chei, and those stat buffs make you about as dang close to invincible as you can get. AC, EV, and SH through the roof, powerful invocations, and so much raw power everything else should run from you instead.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Where did this come from?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Around the same time as Robe of Vines?

Also, I haven't played Crawl since CSZO went down when I had 10 runes and got frustrated. What's changed since then that I'll get myself killed for not knowing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dee Ehm posted:

Around the same time as Robe of Vines?

Also, I haven't played Crawl since CSZO went down when I had 10 runes and got frustrated. What's changed since then that I'll get myself killed for not knowing?

It's not as old as robe of vines I don't think. I found one in a zig in like a mid-way build of .18 I think? Cool for a DD.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

It's extremely broken once you get your hands on a wand of heal wounds, by the way. 40 HP heals are insanely useful for not dying in almost any circumstance.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dee Ehm posted:

This is why I like Chei with Formicid. It's considered a meme by some because slow move speed and no tele / haste makes it even harder to retreat. But Formicids already can't haste, so they don't lose it with Chei, and those stat buffs make you about as dang close to invincible as you can get. AC, EV, and SH through the roof, powerful invocations, and so much raw power everything else should run from you instead.

I was gonna try this but I got a Jiyva vault on the first floor and thanks to formicid I can just dig to it so I'm gonna try Jiyva for the first time, should be a fun run!

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Nanomashoes posted:

I was gonna try this but I got a Jiyva vault on the first floor and thanks to formicid I can just dig to it so I'm gonna try Jiyva for the first time, should be a fun run!

If you do try Chei, don't forget the secret Chei tech.

Train dodging.

(This is also a secret tech for playing characters who don't worship Chei)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Flavour wise, shouldn't Chei basically give you zero EV. I mean, you're slow as hell. How is a fireball moving at the speed of sound going to miss you?

New God Idea: Wztlstatphix the God of the Good Guy in Action Movies, no matter how many times the bad guys shoot at you they always miss. The trade-off is all enemies now have 100% accuracy and +6 slaying in melee.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Chei is only concerned about your pacing. Other movement is unchanged, including wacky movement to evade fireballs at the speed of sound.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Can I safely update an offline version of Crawl to get the latest Amulet of Harm changes? My DECj found a Harm rC+ Int+4 Stlth+ randart and suddenly I want a better harm amulet.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
What is slouch if you were to visualize it, an anti speed explosion?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, Chei is not the god of moving slowly, Chei is the god of taking it easy and not being in a hurry. Basically, if you worship Chei and go travelling, he wants you to sleep late and leave the hotel at 11:00, maybe go to one place and stop to take lots of coffee breaks while you see the sights. But you can swing your axe perfectly quickly while you're murdering the tourists who start at 6:00 A.M. and check out four locations in one day.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also "you move twice as slow and your defenses are crippled" doesn't sound like a fun god

ImPureAwesome posted:

I don't understand what "an anti speed explosion" means as a visualization

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 6, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
How does Ukayaw work? Do you train Invo?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ImPureAwesome posted:

Time gets thick and people trying to hurry run into it like a brick wall.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Visually nothing happens but it feels like you tripped and fell flat on your face.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

IronicDongz posted:

also "you move twice as slow and your defenses are crippled" doesn't sound like a fun god
I don't understand what "an anti speed explosion" means as a visualization

I don't really either but it was my best guess to make sense of it

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

pathetic little tramp posted:

Flavour wise, shouldn't Chei basically give you zero EV. I mean, you're slow as hell. How is a fireball moving at the speed of sound going to miss you?

Chei gives you a new slow, contemplative and relaxed perspective on life. In your zen state of taking it easy, you can flow out of the way of attacks before they even throw them, and your relaxed muscles allow you to bend and stretch in ways otherwise impossible for those tense other characters.

Edit: it's like a kung fu movie. Where the old master is attacked by some young hooligan right in front of the main character, and the chill old man effortlessly avoids the attack and knocks him out. That's what worshipping Chei is like. Slow moving, dodgy, and hit like a truck barehanded.

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 6, 2016

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Unhappy Meal posted:

Time gets thick and people trying to hurry run into it like a brick wall.

So it's like time whiplash?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ImPureAwesome posted:

So it's like time whiplash?

I'd say more like a time version of The Squeeze for old timey divers. It's gross, don't look it up. Just content yourself with spriggen and centaurs turning themselves into a fine paste.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Unhappy Meal posted:

I'd say more like a time version of The Squeeze for old timey divers. It's gross, don't look it up. Just content yourself with spriggen and centaurs turning themselves into a fine paste.

Is that like the bends

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is that like the bends

Well you know how old timey dive suits had the hard heads? If something went wrong the inside of the suit had surface pressure while outside the suit had ocean pressure, splat one whole diver inside a tiny helmet. So in crawl terms fast moving creatures end up cramming themselves into not enough time.

Though my perception of it might be colored by being a Chei Naga and splattering entire levels of the Orcish Mines at once

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I always thought slouch crushes everything around you with increased gravity, the flavor behind it being gravity is a mystery but it sounds cool :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
re slouch chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQFhPJuxgk&t=17s

BigFactory posted:

It's not as old as robe of vines I don't think. I found one in a zig in like a mid-way build of .18 I think? Cool for a DD.

The Robe of Vines was added september 29th; Kryia's was added october 1st. So you're technically right! But they're both fairly new, as fixedarts go.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Woo! Technicalities!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"Funny how this looks better than most CGI poo poo these days." lmao thanks youtube

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Does it have its own tile now or does it still look like an ego scale mail?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, it does:

Unrelated to anything else, I feel pretty strongly that mottled dragons/mottled dragon armor should become acid dragons/acid dragon armor. I suppose you could leave the "mottled" name if someone out there likes it but they're total pushover enemies ever since the removal of item destruction, I think there should be a bit more acidic damage at that relatively early point in the game, and rSticky is a totally worthless armor ego, especially compared to something like rCorr.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Today I learned that Locyprowhatevers have a 40 damage melee because I thought my MuCj who already had 4 runes could use the Vestibule to get experience. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
drat it, died in Zig 25 with a character who was clearly going to 15 rune if I hadn't Zig'd. :negative:

Hell, I could have lived through Zig too if I didn't stupidly quaff a berserk potion, shutting off all my escape options.

• Locked thread