Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm mostly flabbergasted that nobody in the DA's office was able to say "hey, you know, this probably won't look so good, we may want to rethink this charge

Really not how the law is supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The know that lynching typically started with taking the victim out of the jail, but there is something, I don't want to say funny or amusing, intriguing about the legal definition of lynching not having anything to do with say, extra-judicial killing or hanging or torture or any of things we associate with lynching.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I'm mostly flabbergasted that nobody in the DA's office was able to say "hey, you know, this probably won't look so good, we may want to rethink this charge." I mean, maybe one nutjob wanted to make a point, but there wasn't anyone to talk them down?

There isn't any reference to "lynching" in the California Penal Code. The legislature voted unanimously to remove the word in July 2015 after a BLM protester was booked for lynching (which was later downgraded to a lesser charge.) Richards was charged under California Penal Code 405a, but "black person convicted of The Offense Formerly Known as Lynching for attempting to pull a fellow protester away from arresting officers" doesn't quite grab the headlines.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 7, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

You only just now realize Ralph Nader's a massive pile of poo poo?

I'm mostly flabbergasted that nobody in the DA's office was able to say "hey, you know, this probably won't look so good, we may want to rethink this charge." I mean, maybe one nutjob wanted to make a point, but there wasn't anyone to talk them down?

They wanted to put that uppity Negro in their place just like in the good ol' days. :heritage:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ErIog posted:

The definition of lynching in the criminal code at the time was removing someone from police custody. The more :psyduck: example cited in that article, though, is a protester that was almost accused of "lynching herself," by screaming "help" during a police raid.

Apparently she is the first African American accused of this crime. I mean they have basically destroyed her name because no one actually knows that lynching does not mean hanging someone to death under Californian Code. So in the public's eye she is accused of hanging someone.

It's loving racist bullshit

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

How is it awesome for the folks being relieved? My understanding is that the reason the debt is so cheap is because "the folks'" credit score has already been trashed and the debt written off, so instead of the collection service getting the $0 they assumed and budgeted for, now they have a free $60,000 from John Oliver at no benefit to the debtors. It's not like John Oliver paying their debt is going to make their credit score go back up.

Barbe Rouge posted:

Is there a link or something to this? The guy sounds incredibly dumb.

I think they're referring to Adam Shephard's book Scratch Beginnings

Adam Shephard posted:

I am going to start – almost literally from scratch - with one 8' x 10' tarp, a sleeping bag, an empty gym bag, $25, and the clothes on my back. Via train, I will be dropped at a random place somewhere in the southeastern United States that is not in my home state of North Carolina. I have 365 days to become free of the realities of homelessness and become a "regular" member of society. After one year, for my project to be considered successful, I have to possess an operable automobile, live in a furnished apartment (alone or with a roommate), have $2500 in cash, and, most importantly, I have to be in a position in which I can continue to improve my circumstances by either going to school or starting my own business.

CSMonitor posted:

Ten months into the experiment, he decided to quit after learning of an illness in his family. But by then he had moved into an apartment, bought a pickup truck, and had saved close to $5,000.

Adam Shephard posted:

We don't need "Scratch Beginnings" to know that millions of Americans are creating a life for themselves from nothing.... Just as millions of Americans are not getting by. There are both ends of the spectrum.

To meet that guy [in the wheelchair] at the shelter, [makes you wonder] 'Can he get out and go to college and become a doctor?' Maybe, maybe not. I think he can set goals..... You can use your talents. That's why, from the beginning, I set very realistic goals: $2,500, a job, car. This isn't a "rags-to-riches million-dollar" story. This is very realistic. I truly believe, based on what I saw at the shelter ...that anyone can do that.

CSMonitor posted:

Ten months into the experiment, he decided to quit after learning of an illness in his family.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Apparently she is the first African American accused of this crime. I mean they have basically destroyed her name because no one actually knows that lynching does not mean hanging someone to death under Californian Code. So in the public's eye she is accused of hanging someone.

It's loving racist bullshit
PC 405a isn't called "lynching" though. She literally wasn't convicted of lynching, the word doesn't appear in the penal code, on the charge sheet, or on her criminal record. The only people still calling it lynching are people looking to score "isn't it ironic that a black woman was convicted under a statute enacted as a result of extrajudicial violence against blacks?" points (even though the original impetus behind California's lynching law was the lynching of two white men.)

VVVV It's literally in the original article, if people bothered to read past the headline, but Victoria M. Massie sure buried the lede on that one.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 7, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dead Reckoning posted:

There isn't any reference to "lynching" in the California Penal Code. The legislature voted unanimously to remove the word in July 2015 after a BLM protester was booked for lynching (which was later downgraded to a lesser charge.) Richards was charged under California Penal Code 405a, but "black person convicted of The Offense Formerly Known as Lynching for attempting to pull a fellow protester away from arresting officers" doesn't quite grab the headlines.

Ha, did not know that. ...Good on the legislature? Bad on the media.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It actually is. Shame is the only motivational force the police understand.
And these things are the reason juries were introduced, so that proceedings would have some semblance of common sense. Otherwise the court of law crawls up its own rear end.

VanSandman posted:

God.... I would pay money, cash money, to have this on film.

I would watch it every morning and have a FANTASTIC day afterwards.

Have a consolation prize: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_qBjmvywYs

USPOL June 2016: Do you know there are no ethnic-joke books in bookstores anymore?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bill giving "Arithmetic" level speeches.

Biden clowning on Trump like he did on Ryan.

Obama delivering the goods like the press correspondents' dinner.

Hillary relentlessly carpet bombing Trump like she did last week.

Michelle giving heart-felt speeches about how Trump isn't what America represents.

Priorities USA sending up Grace ads every month.

Hillary making ads with video of Trump saying poo poo, possibly with rebuttals from the GOP.

A nationwide DNC/DSCC/DCCC push to shackle these fuckers to Trump and take their seats.

All of this and more coming for the next 5 months as Trump flails around more and more wildly as he grows more exhausted and frayed. This might not even last to the debates.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Dead Reckoning posted:

PC 405a isn't called "lynching" though. She literally wasn't convicted of lynching, the word doesn't appear in the penal code, on the charge sheet, or on her criminal record. The only people still calling it lynching are people looking to score "isn't it ironic that a black woman was convicted under a statute enacted as a result of extrajudicial violence against blacks?" points (even though the original impetus behind California's lynching law was the lynching of two white men.)

VVVV It's literally in the original article, if people bothered to read past the headline, but Victoria M. Massie sure buried the lede on that one.

Christ I even read the article and didn't see that. I mean I saw the governor removed it but I thought that was after the fact. This makes it even worse.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The fact that the offense is no longer called "lynching" makes it worse? :psyduck:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It was called lynching for 80+ years. Like 5 people got arrested for it in the last 5 years when it was still called lynching. The person the article about got arrested for it a month after they changed the name. It's been called not lynching for less than a year.

Acting like the author did some great injustice calling it what has been called for 99% of the last 80 years is stupid.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EwokEntourage posted:

It was called lynching for 80+ years. Like 5 people got arrested for it in the last 5 years when it was still called lynching. The person the article about got arrested for it a month after they changed the name. It's been called not lynching for less than a year.

Acting like the author did some great injustice calling it what has been called for 99% of the last 80 years is stupid.

it's not what people typically think of when someone is accused of lynching - really it relies on the ironic dissonance between a BLM leader and the act of lynching. in most jurisdictions lynching is defined as extrajudicial mob violence and not removing someone from police custody, which is why the name of the law was changed in the first place, because it is inaccurate to call this act lynching. even if it's not purposefully racially antagonistic it carries that connotation + it's dishonest clickbait that shouldn't be defended

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

In theory, no, but anyone who's actually worked with prosecutors knows they have immense discretion in determining what charges are actually brought, and even in the same set of circumstances two different DAs may bring entirely different charges against someone. Not saying it's a good thing either, but it's just how it goes. Glad this seems to be more of a media fuckup than anything else.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

The impetus behind changing the name was, "it's a little offensive to refer to what these people did with the same word we colloquially use for extrajudicial mob violence" so going on calling it lynching for the explicit purpose of highlighting the charged nature of the word after the change was made is nothing more than tacky points-scoring sensationalism.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Marking an end of an era.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The last of a class of Very Good Dogs.

(I mean, dogs in general are good but we do need to stratify this sort of thing.)

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So did he hit his head or does he just not give a gently caress about anything anymore?

The Democratic Party basically destroyed ralph nader's life in "retribution" for 2000 and he basically hates them the way clarence thomas hates white people.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The GOP has finally unveiled its plan to gut thoughtfully replace Dodd-Frank.

Highlights:

quote:

It would also repeal a provision allowing financial regulators to identify which large institutions merit closer oversight as “systemically important financial institutions.” And the “Volcker Rule,” which bars banks from engaging in profit-seeking activity known as proprietary trading, would also be repealed.

quote:

The new bill would allow Congress to set the CFPB’s budget, and replace its single director with a bipartisan commission. Republicans have tried for years to make those changes to the agency, while Democrats resisted arguing it would weaken the agency.

The CFPB would also undergo a name change. Under Hensarling’s plan, the bureau would become the “Consumer Financial Opportunity Commission,” and be given a dual mission of protecting consumers and “competitive markets,” according to a bill summary.

The regulator would also see some of its major powers curbed. Among those are the CFPB’s ability to bar any financial product in deems to be “abusive,” and its ability to gather consumer financial data.

quote:

The bill includes an “Audit the Fed” provision that would allow outside review of the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy decisions, among other changes at the central bank.

And the bill would also include language that would block the Labor Department from enforcing new rules establishing a “fiduciary duty” for retirement investment advisors, a rulemaking project finalized in April that had been fiercely contested by Wall Street.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Or maybe is was a conscious stylistic choice to highlight the point of the article: There is a growing legal push to intimidate Black Lives Matter activists. And geez wouldn't you know that lynching was historically used to intimidate black people. Geez, almost like there's a connection there.

Or you can get mad at them for using it, even tho they put it in loving quotation marks the entire time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder how tightly married folks are to their audit the fed stuff.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The impetus behind changing the name was, "it's a little offensive to refer to what these people did with the same word we colloquially use for extrajudicial mob violence" so going on calling it lynching for the explicit purpose of highlighting the charged nature of the word after the change was made is nothing more than tacky points-scoring sensationalism.

Yeah I tried googling to see if right-wing sites are making hay about BLM being guilty of "lynching" but (except for some hits on whacko white supremacist sites) I couldn't find anything except liberal news articles harping on the irony and a few more honest headlines saying they were convicted under the former "lynching" law, so you appear to be correct.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Bushiz posted:

The Democratic Party basically destroyed ralph nader's life in "retribution" for 2000 and he basically hates them the way clarence thomas hates white people.

I think running for President again in 2004 and 2008 to vastly diminishing returns and relevancy did a lot to destroy his life as well.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EwokEntourage posted:

Or maybe is was a conscious stylistic choice to highlight the point of the article: There is a growing legal push to intimidate Black Lives Matter activists. And geez wouldn't you know that lynching was historically used to intimidate black people. Geez, almost like there's a connection there.

Or you can get mad at them for using it, even tho they put it in loving quotation marks the entire time

maybe instead of saying she was charged with lynching, they could say she was jim crowed with lynching. so long as we're just sort of tossing words on the wall

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Man I couldn't imagine the gleeful cheerfulness Obama would get cock slapping that bill back to 1893.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

Consumer Financial Opportunity Commission

drat what a name.

I can't wait until President Paul Ryan comes through renaming the entire Cabinet, in order of succession:

Department of American Exceptionalism
Department of Taxpayer Rights
Department of Freedom
Department of Real America
Department of Food Creation
Department of Job Creation
Department of Opportunity
Department of Healthcare Opportunity and Individual Services
Department of Housing Opportunity and Urban Redemption
Department of Individual Transportation
Department of Oil and Gas Freedom
Department of School Choice
Department of Veterans' Opportunity
Department of Homeland Security
Environmental Opportunity Agency

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Wow, the empowering story of working your way up from nothing (except for the clearly inconsequential advantage of being an attractive young white dude). Truly proving that the good old American Dream is alive and well! :v:

I mean, seriously, I'm sure that guy did actually work hard to pull himself up out of his self-imposed pretend poverty. But aside from advantages of skin color, sex, and age, he also had the advantage of not living with the soul-crushing stress of knowing that if he couldn't get a job he would end up dead on the street. If his little game failed, oh well, go back home to your real life, no loss. I'm not even sure I want to look into that any further than the wikipedia article, because I'm sure I would end up wanting to slap his pretty face.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

I remember back before Trump entered the race the accepted wisdom here was that the GOP not only had an uphill battle to fight, but that their primary was going to do them more harm than good. Mostly because in order to win the primary you have to appeal to ideas that are toxic in the general and balancing the two has become increasingly impossible.

That common wisdom is still true but holy moly I didn't think it'd be anything like this.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/739927939286982660

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Department of Homeland Security
:golfclap:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Audit the fed, what is this loving 2008?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

Wow, the empowering story of working your way up from nothing (except for the clearly inconsequential advantage of being an attractive young white dude). Truly proving that the good old American Dream is alive and well! :v:

I mean, seriously, I'm sure that guy did actually work hard to pull himself up out of his self-imposed pretend poverty. But aside from advantages of skin color, sex, and age, he also had the advantage of not living with the soul-crushing stress of knowing that if he couldn't get a job he would end up dead on the street. If his little game failed, oh well, go back home to your real life, no loss. I'm not even sure I want to look into that any further than the wikipedia article, because I'm sure I would end up wanting to slap his pretty face.

Also no family or anybody depending on him other than himself, who is perfectly capable in great health, and still needed months of government assistance to do anything.

This guy listens to Common People and doesn't realize Shatner is making fun of him, smdh

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Taima posted:

I'm fine with the outcome, which will happen tomorrow, not today. Nitpicky I guess, but they're the AP. Please wait until the thing has happened, to say that it has happened.

And can you believe it, sometimes they even project individual states before all the votes are counted. And don't even get me started on November, when they call the election a month before the electoral college is seated.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

maybe instead of saying she was charged with lynching, they could say she was jim crowed with lynching. so long as we're just sort of tossing words on the wall

Are you being willfully dense? It not tossing words, it was called lynching less than a year ago.

Maybe you think it shouldn't have been called it, but the author didn't make up a new word or call it something it had never been called before

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Audit the fed, what is this loving 2008?

Audit the Fed has managed to be the Republican Youth Outreach Program somehow. I guess it's to keep the three kids in bowties who show up at the convention happy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I can't wait to see the public narrative of Trump supporters transform from "oh he's not a violent racist shut up" to "yeah hes a violent racist, shut up"

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Michelle would sooner campaign for Donald Trump or slap Hilary on live TV than accept something that'd keep her in DC for another 4-8 years. She'd burn DC to the ground and salt the earth if it'd let her leave a day sooner. Living in DC by all accounts sucks, Michelle knows and doesn't hide it.

What exactly is so horrible about living in DC that being POTUS/FLOTUS doesn't alleviate it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

JohnnySavs posted:

What exactly is so horrible about living in DC that being POTUS/FLOTUS doesn't alleviate it?

The people, the fakeness of everyone she interacts with?

DC is a totally different feel and has totally different people and personalities when compared with Chicago

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

JohnnySavs posted:

I would imagine that it's like holding court in Renaissance Europe except with even phonier people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

EwokEntourage posted:

Are you being willfully dense? It not tossing words, it was called lynching less than a year ago.

Maybe you think it shouldn't have been called it, but the author didn't make up a new word or call it something it had never been called before
Making a conscious stylistic choice to highlight information you know to be false or outdated in service of your larger point is called "lying," Mr. Daisey.

• Locked thread