Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Slavvy posted:

OTOH watching lorenzo get torpedoed off his bike by iannone, and the ensuing meltdown, would be pretty cool.

well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

While that was Iannones fault, I don't think it's entirely his fault - Lorenzo looked like he went into that corner really slow, and then because of the speed difference, partly chopped Iannones nose off. I think his slowness caught Iannone off - if Iannone was just plain torpedoing him surely he'd have been harder on the front brake the entire time, rather than having enough left to just ram it on at the end when he saw what was coming.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: I'm a loving prophet.

Shimrod posted:

While that was Iannones fault, I don't think it's entirely his fault - Lorenzo looked like he went into that corner really slow, and then because of the speed difference, partly chopped Iannones nose off. I think his slowness caught Iannone off - if Iannone was just plain torpedoing him surely he'd have been harder on the front brake the entire time, rather than having enough left to just ram it on at the end when he saw what was coming.

It did catch him out definitely. It shouldn't have though I don't think. If you've never won a race and you're catching up to JL like he's Yonny Hernandez or something shouldn't you be thinking 'hang on something might be wrong here' instead of going into maximum attack mode like an excited puppy?

He didn't do anything on purpose, he just had bad judgement and got caught out. As for fault, Lorenzo was in front and had the line and had no obligation to go faster or w/e. It is 100% Iannone's fault.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You gotta yield to the rider ahead and even if Jorge was slow it couldn't be as bad as Iannone is making it out to be. Your Gay was on a normal line and had the rear wheel in the air on braking so it wasn't like it was a mistake, he was on the limit. The Ducs limit might have been way past that at the time but that is no excuse.

Hodgson and Edwards tore him apart on BT. Hodgson was basically saying at the point Iannone saw he was closing so close to Lorenzo that he should have let off the brake and ran on. They didn't give him any credit, Colin basically called him stupid and Hodgson said it was a club racer error.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I agree it's Iannones entire fault, but I can understand how it happened. If JL was having such serious issues why defend that hard and try to run defensive lines? Why not just go a bit wider and accept you're done? Why risk it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lorenzo was over a second off pace, his front tire was done and he was basically parking it in the corners.

That said, Iannone should have taken into account his closing pace earlier.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Where do you get that idea? It was pretty early in the race and Lorenzo was on the hard tire. Iannone should get a race ban.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

n8r posted:

Where do you get that idea? It was pretty early in the race and Lorenzo was on the hard tire. Iannone should get a race ban.

it was 16 laps in and lorenzo had already plummeted like five spots

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

quote:

Prior to the crash, Lorenzo was badly struggling for pace after suffering major graining on his front tyre, slipping from an early lead to fifth place before the Iannone incident.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Iannone wasn't going to make that turn, even if Lorenzo wasn't there. He should get a race ban for being a moron.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He should get a medal for taking out Jlo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pedrosa like 'ay Horegay, u like dem apples?'

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If he wasn't a repeat offender it probably wouldn't be as bad, but I agree he needs a suspension or something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
He's just making up for Marquez in Sepang. :italy:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

If he wasn't a repeat offender it probably wouldn't be as bad, but I agree he needs a suspension or something.

He's been sent to the back of the grid for assen.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

I agree it's Iannones entire fault, but I can understand how it happened. If JL was having such serious issues why defend that hard and try to run defensive lines? Why not just go a bit wider and accept you're done? Why risk it?

He wasn't defending....He was just riding. Iannone came from miles back.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

nsaP posted:

He wasn't defending....He was just riding. Iannone came from miles back.

Day Man posted:

Iannone wasn't going to make that turn, even if Lorenzo wasn't there. He should get a race ban for being a moron.

He absolutely was going to make that turn, even Pol Espargaro said he braked at the same point on that lap, Jorge was fighting his front tyre and took a different line, Iannone didn't get out of shape on the brakes until he realised jorge was coming across him for the apex.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

He's been sent to the back of the grid for assen.

This way hes got more bikes in front of him to wreck when he overshoots his braking point in turn 1

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Good video of the incident from on-board, doesnt look like some zany line Lorenzo ran to me. Just looked like a dude banzaiing that corner like another rider wasnt even present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs1iwvbZGwE

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

Good video of the incident from on-board, doesnt look like some zany line Lorenzo ran to me. Just looked like a dude banzaiing that corner like another rider wasnt even present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs1iwvbZGwE

The telemetry and the rider behind iannone both say they he was on the same line as the previous lap, same speed, same braking point, so whatever it looks like to you he was not banzaiing the corner, lorenzo was just going backwards.
Iannone and Espargaro were closing lorenzo down at ~half a second a lap. Lorenzo took a wider line and Iannone just kept going as normal when he should have rolled off a bit.
I'm not saying the crash wasn't his fault, but it wasn't some crazy move by iannone, just misjudging the line from someone who was clearly not able to get his bike to work like he normally does.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As I said earlier, at the level he's at, when you're getting paid millions of dollars to ride multi-million-dollar machinery, closing down on someone by half a second a lap should indicate to you that, perhaps, they might not be going the same speed as you are and that some caution might be in order. He just got excited because he was totes about to pass Lorenzo and just haaaad to close right up on him then and there instead of breezing past at the next straight.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, I didnt realize Vinales is going to fill Lorenzo's spot. I would love to see what that guy can do on a real bike.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Iannone is a habitual offender and easily could have made a cleaner pass elsewhere. He got off light.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Oh poo poo, I didnt realize Vinales is going to fill Lorenzo's spot. I would love to see what that guy can do on a real bike.

Imo vinalez is slightly overrated (I say this as his number 1 fan) and the suzuki is a lot better than popular perception would imply; it's clearly at the same level/better than the ducati (at some tracks anyway) and the ducati is widely thought of as being capable of winning races with an alien on board, hence JL jumping ship. Despite this he's only been a genuine podium contender once, so I wouldn't expect anything too crazy out of him next season. Having said that I don't know what effect tyre roulette is having on all this.

Suzuki meanwhile are going to rizla the poo poo out of the next few seasons thanks to Iannone then get axed by the parent company for not getting results.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I love this photograph:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Imo vinalez is slightly overrated

Yeah he is probably more of a Goose on his new team

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wow Lorenzo was going crazy slow there. Double that up with the extra wide line and it's not really a surprise that he got rear end packed, it's not like there's a lot of ability to change line or direction when you're going flat out. Still Iannone's fault and a fuckup on his part, but if you're losing that much pace, running slightly tighter lines will force folks around the outside and signal somethings up. Using the track like that and with Lorenzo's smooth riding style, I can see why Iannone expected him to be going faster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dema posted:

I love this photograph:

I'm quite partial to this:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The lone tea tray in the air makes that pic

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also the downs syndrome numbers on the 99

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Also the downs syndrome numbers on the 99

Maybe :thejoke: but they are a design from an artist that has downs who Jorge has used for years for his stuff, despite being an unlikable shitter he's very active in charities for the developmentally disabled.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Stop, you're making me like Jorge :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Equilibrium posted:

Stop, you're making me like Jorge :(

He comes across as a raging autist but he doesn't seem like a tremendous rear end in a top hat outside the paddock. He only ever says inflammatory poo poo about people in GP and GP related stuff AFAIK, it's like his sperg safe space.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

That is fantastic!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Not too sure if it's an indicator of something else, but when Lorenzo goes to Ducati, he's got only one mechanic going with him. The rest of his crew and his crew chief are staying with Yamaha and chose work for Yamaha/Vinales.

http://www.motogp.com/en/in+the+media/2016/06/07/lorenzo-s-crew-to-remain-at-yamaha/203513

Is Lorenzo bad to work for or did Lorenzo's crew hear horror stories about working for Ducati and decided not to go?

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 9, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Most of his crew was Yamaha crew before he got there. Crew tends to be with the team or the rider but besides that they are all individuals who have to decide what's their best path. Lorenzo never had a big crew he moved to GP with like Marquez did. TBH I'd say its rarer that you get a situation like with Rossi or Marquez where they take most of their guys. Most riders only have a few close people and the rest of the crew works for the team.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Not too sure if it's an indicator of something else, but when Lorenzo goes to Ducati, he's got only one mechanic going with him. The rest of his crew and his crew chief are staying with Yamaha and chose work for Yamaha/Vinales.

http://www.motogp.com/en/in+the+media/2016/06/07/lorenzo-s-crew-to-remain-at-yamaha/203513

Is Lorenzo bad to work for or did Lorenzo's crew hear horror stories about working for Ducati and decided not to go?

His crew chief said he's too old and likes the working environment too much to follow him to ducati. Keep in mind the teams are companies with their own individual ways of doing things and dealing with people just like any other job. Only the riders get to be special flowers who have everything bent to their desires.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Two more at the TT today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow. Worst year ever?

• Locked thread