Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It's good but imperfect. It's very hard to go back to the Intuos style after using one because it's so much easier to make the marks where you want them, obviously. However, one of the big issues is ergonomics. Sitting in front of one, even when it's at an incline, can be rough on your back and drawing arm. I have an Ergotron arm and it's still pretty uncomfortable after long periods. As far as I know, the DPI is still about 100. That's OK, but not amazing. If you're accustomed to a Retina or 4K screen, it'll be a step down. Likewise, Cintiqs are notorious for having inconsistent color, so you might have to calibrate yours. The parallax of the glass thickness annoys some people because it creates a small offset between the cursor and the stylus tip.

I have the older 21UX which has a cool stand with a gimbal thingy in the center so you can rotate it around on its stand. I think the 22HD still has that one, but they removed it for the bigger 24/27 inch models. Are you looking at the one with the touchscreen? People say it doesn't work very well, but I haven't tried it.

All in all, I am glad I bought one. It was somewhat disappointing for a while because it's so expensive and yet still not quite perfect, but :shrug: oh well. It's paid for itself in the 5 or so years I've had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Teflon Don posted:

How is it? I am looking at a 22HD right now.

If you want a more portable Cintiq, I'm selling my Companion 2 in SA-Mart right now:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771962

It's perfect for chilling and drawing on the couch with the added benefit of being able to be used as a monitor/tablet on a desktop.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

autojive posted:

If you want a more portable Cintiq, I'm selling my Companion 2 in SA-Mart right now:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771962

It's perfect for chilling and drawing on the couch with the added benefit of being able to be used as a monitor/tablet on a desktop.

Sorry but I already have a workstation.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
I have a 27 QHD and a Companion 2.

They are expensive but fine.

The trick to using a 27 QHD as the drafting table it is, is to buy a nice chair. If you can afford the 27 QHD just go buy a Herman Miller Embody to go with it, problem solved.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought these little guys and have been playing around with phone doodling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N1BRWLA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The weight is good and the little discs move very easily and spring back. I'm no pro arts-guy but I like them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Artisul D13 is currently on sale on their website at $599 with the $50 stand thrown in for free, so as long as they'll ship to the UK I will be grabbing myself one of those later.

e: $ =/= £

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 13, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Artisul D13 is currently on sale on their website at $599 with the $50 stand thrown in for free, so as long as they'll ship to the UK I will be grabbing myself one of those later.

e: $ =/= £

£430 doesn't seem too bad, £150 less than the non-touch Cintiq 13HD. Wonder how much shipping would be though.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Anybody use Drawpile? I just downloaded it and it seems legit.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I received my new 27QHD the other day and loving hell it's great.

Makes a good cat resting spot as well.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Get that loving animal off of the $2k tablet :mad:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
But it's warm :3:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If a cat sitting on it damages it, then it ain't worth 2000 loving dollars.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Teflon Don posted:

Get that loving animal off of the $2k tablet :mad:

The top on this one is glass.

I would be worried about scratches on the 24HD. But not the 27QHD. I've owned both.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

I recently lost the pen to my Wacom CTL460 Bamboo Pen Tablet while moving. I've been holding out hope for a while that it would turn up somewhere but I think it's about time I admit that it's as good as gone. I thought about just buying a new pen but I can't seem to find any replacement ones online, or I'm not sure if the one's I've found are compatible.

Anyway, I've had the thing for over 5 years now, so maybe it's about time I treat myself to an upgrade. Can you guys recommend a good tablet on a budget? I'm willing to splurge a little bit, but I think my price range is roughly around $300 at most. Thanks in advanced. I've been dying to do some digital art again.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Get a used Intuos3 on eBay.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Intuos 3 is the best intuos. Although you can order replacement Bamboo pen directly from Wacom, their store is organized terribly but the pens are there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I like my Huion h610pro but admittedly I have to deal with a lot more driver hassle than a Wacom tablet gets.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

neonnoodle posted:

Depending on what operating system you're running this is turning into a gamble as Wacom is starting to drop support for Intuos 3 and similar-era Cintiqs from driver support. It's already dropped from the latest Windows drivers and I expect it to be in the next round of Mac drivers too. If you don't mind buying a soon to be out of support product it's a roll of the dice sticking on older drivers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
okay literally hours after I recommend the h610pro it decides to bite me in the rear end- I got shoved into windows 10 and now my pressure sensitivity is broken. Anyone with this tablet have it working fine on windows 10? I need to make a decision on whether to faff around for 5 hours trying to sort out the drivers or just wallow in my despair until I can buy an intuos or whatever.

this happened with my monoprice last year when windows 8.1 got forced on me too so much as I love them for the price this might be my last affair with Chinese tablets.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Koramei posted:

okay literally hours after I recommend the h610pro it decides to bite me in the rear end- I got shoved into windows 10 and now my pressure sensitivity is broken. Anyone with this tablet have it working fine on windows 10? I need to make a decision on whether to faff around for 5 hours trying to sort out the drivers or just wallow in my despair until I can buy an intuos or whatever.

this happened with my monoprice last year when windows 8.1 got forced on me too so much as I love them for the price this might be my last affair with Chinese tablets.

Windows 10 here too.

I had a hiccup with my Wacom just now where the pressure was max no matter what and the first split second of input produced a straight line as if I was holding Shift. I tried to open Wacom Preferences and it gave me a popup saying driver not found. I went into services and restarted the Wacom service. Then I was able to open Wacom Preferences and noticed a box for "Use Windows Ink" was checked. With it on, there is a Control Panel item called Pan and Tablet (or such) that includes some options like press-and-hold and a couple others that sound like they break the functionality I'm used to.

Going back into Wacom Preferences and unchecking the box for "Use Windows Ink" made the Control Panel item go away, and I assume all its useless options along with it.

So yeah check Control Panel for a Pen and Tablet item and maybe check Services.msc for a service called Windows Ink.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I recently lost the pen to my Wacom CTL460 Bamboo Pen Tablet while moving. I've been holding out hope for a while that it would turn up somewhere but I think it's about time I admit that it's as good as gone. I thought about just buying a new pen but I can't seem to find any replacement ones online, or I'm not sure if the one's I've found are compatible.

Anyway, I've had the thing for over 5 years now, so maybe it's about time I treat myself to an upgrade. Can you guys recommend a good tablet on a budget? I'm willing to splurge a little bit, but I think my price range is roughly around $300 at most. Thanks in advanced. I've been dying to do some digital art again.

Extremely similar question.

My Bamboo is also dying and I want to replace it with another similar budget tablet. Even when it was not dying, it was having major trouble with Mavericks and other post 10.9 OSX, so I think drivers are already not going to be there for other older Wacoms in that product line.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I got my Huion H610 Pro working on Windows 10, by actually installing the right drivers from their website rather than the 2 year old ones on the disc (:doh:), so I'm gonna go back to recommending it if you don't wanna splurge. It's a knockoff Intuos, aesthetically and functionally, but like a third of the price. The big differences are 1. the pen needs batteries, 2. has no tilt or eraser on its butt end, and 3. the drivers are a pain, but to be fair the first two haven't bothered me at all (plus you can buy replacement pens a whole lot cheaper than what Wacom offers) and the drivers worked flawlessly for me for more than a year until I had to upgrade to Windows 10- it's their instillation that's a pain.

It doesn't feel quite as slick as a Wacom tablet (although when I was reading this thread a few pages back people mentioned newer Intuos have problems with the micro-USB port too? that's concerning) and I have been slowly convincing myself I want an Intuos, but for the price the H610 is really good- way better than my old Bamboo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does anyone make a transparent film for tablet surfaces the approximates paper texture?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Inzombiac posted:

Does anyone make a transparent film for tablet surfaces the approximates paper texture?

My very first tablet was a $30 wal mart deal and the surface was too slippery. I taped a heavy weight sheet of paper over it. It wore down the nib faster but if you want paper texture I think using paper is the best way. Does it have to be transparent

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Koramei posted:

I got my Huion H610 Pro working on Windows 10, by actually installing the right drivers from their website rather than the 2 year old ones on the disc (:doh:), so I'm gonna go back to recommending it if you don't wanna splurge. It's a knockoff Intuos, aesthetically and functionally, but like a third of the price. The big differences are 1. the pen needs batteries, 2. has no tilt or eraser on its butt end, and 3. the drivers are a pain, but to be fair the first two haven't bothered me at all (plus you can buy replacement pens a whole lot cheaper than what Wacom offers) and the drivers worked flawlessly for me for more than a year until I had to upgrade to Windows 10- it's their instillation that's a pain.

It doesn't feel quite as slick as a Wacom tablet (although when I was reading this thread a few pages back people mentioned newer Intuos have problems with the micro-USB port too? that's concerning) and I have been slowly convincing myself I want an Intuos, but for the price the H610 is really good- way better than my old Bamboo.

Thanks! It certainly looks like way more drawing area + more features than the CTL490, which I guess would be the comparable Intuos on pricepoint at least.
The FAQ at the bottom of the Amazon listing says the battery-operated pen is only on the regular H610 model, but that the pen on the Pro is rechargeable and plugs into the main tablet. Is that a new thing or is the FAQ just full of poo poo? iirc older Huion pens used a AAA.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh right I totally forgot Wacom changed up their branding, I still think of Intuos as the midrange models. The H610 Pro is like a knockoff Intuos Pro. It has way better pressure sensitivity than lower end tablets like Bamboos offer(ed).

The FAQ is right, I shoulda put that better, it's rechargeable not battery-operated. It doesn't have a slot in the tablet to recharge it though, it's just a USB cable you have to plug into the computer.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I got ready to get an intuos 3 but I only have windows 10,so I'd rather have something that will have support for awhile. The Huion H610 Pro looks pretty nice, and fits much better in my budget. I'll think on it for a day or two, but I think I'll go with that. Thanks again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

frozenpussy posted:

My very first tablet was a $30 wal mart deal and the surface was too slippery. I taped a heavy weight sheet of paper over it. It wore down the nib faster but if you want paper texture I think using paper is the best way. Does it have to be transparent

I was talking about drawing on a phone, iPad or Cintiq.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I was talking about drawing on a phone, iPad or Cintiq.

Two of these things are not like the other.

Cintiq tablets/displays have textured surfaces, and while the new glass-like coating on the 27QHD took some getting used to, I own a 27QHD, a Cintiq Companion 2, and a Surface Pro 4. All three have pens, and the Surface could rightfully be clumped into the phone/iPad group, because the screen is not textured at all, and on the Surface it's worse, as the pen feels like drawing on a whiteboard or other slick coated surface at best, where the tablet pens and even the fancy iPencil or whatever have some rubberized grip on tip ends to the display.

I think if you were to draw on a phone/iPad/Surface for a week and then move to Cintiq you would notice the texture immediately. It is not quite like regular paper, but it is a lot like cold press art/poster boards - some grit, but not much, and the pen tips are solid which gives a much more pencil like feeling, unless you use the spring loaded variants (which I occasionally do when shading).

(I only bought the Surface - in it's cheapest M3 CPU form - to use it to run Lightroom in the field because finding a camera bag to adequately house size and weight of the CC2 and accessories was impossible, so it came out of camera hobby budget. But I did try it out.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's good to know. I've never drawn in a Surface and I've never been in the same room as a Cintiq so I was just guessing.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

That's good to know. I've never drawn in a Surface and I've never been in the same room as a Cintiq so I was just guessing.

A word of warning related for the thread, if you buy a Cintiq Companion you need to set up power management to throttle the CPU instead of turn up the fan when plugged in. My tablet kept rebooting and shutting down due to the CPU thermal sensor panicing.

The solution was that tweak, which I only noticed because I realized it never locked up on battery, then compared the settings. The CC2 definitely has inadequate cooling.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Jelly Omelettle posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I got ready to get an intuos 3 but I only have windows 10,so I'd rather have something that will have support for awhile. The Huion H610 Pro looks pretty nice, and fits much better in my budget. I'll think on it for a day or two, but I think I'll go with that. Thanks again.

Thought I replied to you earlier in the week, must've gotten distracted and closed the window.

I traded in my H610P for a used Intuos3 widescreen model a month or two back and prefer it for the most part. Better pen feel, and I like the "eraser" on the back. No need to tap the tray icon to enable admin access for the driver so it can interact with the task manager.

I'm gonna be sad if this driver stops altogether functioning in Windows. Also, as I said in previous comments: goddamn is this thing big and heavy. Only downside though.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I bought a Intuos Pro over the weekend to try out since I'm new to drawing tablets and I really wanted wireless. It was an okay first experience: hovering over buttons with your finger to see what the buttons did was a nice touch, and learning the pressure felt very natural to me. Did have some issues with the mini-USB connector being loose, and that circle touchpad was really sensitive in a bad way, at least in Krita.

The size of it (medium) seemed like overkill to me. I didn't need or want to move my hand a lot because I could just zoom in for detailing or zoom out for larger strokes. Am I doing it wrong or is that size surface used more for photo editing? I'm really only sketching at this point.

Anyway, I took the Pro back and exchanged it for the small Art version of the Intuos. Very happy with it so far and discovering that it's compatible with the wireless kit a nice surprise. The only negative is that the pen doesn't have an eraser end.

TVGM fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 7, 2016

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Not strictly Wacom related but I'm getting an iPad Pro 12.9" by the end month, I will post about it eventually.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

tvgm2 posted:

The size of it (medium) seemed like overkill to me. I didn't need or want to move my hand a lot because I could just zoom in for detailing or zoom out for larger strokes. Am I doing it wrong or is that size surface used more for photo editing? I'm really only sketching at this point.

I draw on a 27QHD and a CC2 (which is a 13QHD, sort of). I definitely drop a lot of detail on the 13QHD. Sometimes this is good. Sometimes it is not. I think it just depends on you.

For me, the larger size just means more line control.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Teflon Don posted:

Not strictly Wacom related but I'm getting an iPad Pro 12.9" by the end month, I will post about it eventually.

I was lucky to get one as a gift, it's blown my mind, even as a beginner.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Teflon Don posted:

I have a 9.7 with the pen. It's great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are there any screen protectors for the Surface that would give it a textured feel? It's pretty useable with an artist's glove but could definitely do with being less slidy. Hell, if there's a protector for a different screen that I could cut down to size I'd take that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are there any screen protectors for the Surface that would give it a textured feel? It's pretty useable with an artist's glove but could definitely do with being less slidy. Hell, if there's a protector for a different screen that I could cut down to size I'd take that.

I asked the same thing and didn't get a serviceable answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
You -might- run into a compromise between gloss finish and matte, which would affect image quality.

I could be wrong and maybe there is a material that has a gloss finish but also provides some friction.