Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh that graphic lists like everything with any mindshare and not just actual firms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Feinne posted:

New rules for food that let them skullfuck someone for not being really careful about allergens among other things are in fact already passed and go into effect in September.

It should also be noted these rules include new enforcement powers that make skullfuck really the appropriate term, if you really piss FDA off they can literally tell you to stop operating or face criminal penalties now.

I love how the FDA's own publication about it drives it home by saying "No one wants to ship a large container of fish oil all the way from China to the United States only to have it held up in customs due to inadequate procedures and registrations."

There's nothing in there empowering the FDA to crack down on the supplement manufacturers filling a pill with corn starch and selling it as Herb X, but that corn starch had better be compliant or everything it is in is possibly facing a mandatory recall.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Shifty Pony posted:

I love how the FDA's own publication about it drives it home by saying "No one wants to ship a large container of fish oil all the way from China to the United States only to have it held up in customs due to inadequate procedures and registrations."

There's nothing in there empowering the FDA to crack down on the supplement manufacturers filling a pill with corn starch and selling it as Herb X, but that corn starch had better be compliant or everything it is in is possibly facing a mandatory recall.

Yeah as long as nothing you're putting in there is hazardous and it's got whatever labels are required they're fine for now (I'm sure they WANT authority to gently caress up supplement people but they don't have it yet).

Those Soylent fuckers are going to have a hell of a time proving there aren't any chemical hazards in their poo poo given their history.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Jet packs are finally here!!!!!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-jetpack-movement-finally-taking-off-1465221130?mod=e2tw

quote:

An entrepreneur and aviation buff from Sydney, Mayman retired early to dedicate himself to flying with nothing but the pack on his back. His company, JetPack Aviation Corp., has spent about 10 years and $10 million on this latest version: an 85-pound aluminum and carbon-fiber contraption that burns 11 gallons of jet fuel for a 10-minute flight. The nine-person firm is now seeking $2 million to $5 million to add rocket-propelled parachutes—in case of unscheduled landings—and bring its jetpack to market for about $250,000 a pop.

It’s thrilling to see and overwhelming to hear; this long-promised vision of the future comes with a 120-decibel soundtrack—louder than a chainsaw.

Hm, yes, jet fuel is only 9 dollars a gallon and I only need to refill my ear-damaging super slow mode of personal transport every 10 minutes this is a good idea that i am glad we spent money on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wherein we find out what happens when the disrupters are them selves disrupted!

spoiler: they're big whiny babies :cry:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Uber are whiny babies, Urbanhail seem to think Terms of Use don't apply to them, it's all a big shitshow. :munch:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uber seem to think the TOS of society (laws) don't apply to them so I can't really feel sorry for them when people ignore their TOS.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Urbanhail seem to think Terms of Use don't apply to them

How the hell do you think ~~disruption~~ happens?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Urbanhail seem to think Terms of Use don't apply to them, it's all a big shitshow. :munch:

Considering a lot of Terms of Use are unenforceable legaloblabber, I'd not be surprised if Urbanhail were actually correct in this regard.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Considering a lot of Terms of Use are unenforceable legaloblabber, I'd not be surprised if Urbanhail were actually correct in this regard.

Seems like it was pretty easy to enforce them this time. :v:

I do wonder whether Urbanhail could sue them for breaching fair use, though. You'd think "being allowed to do comparison shopping" is a fundamental right in commerce.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seems like it was pretty easy to enforce them this time. :v:

I do wonder whether Urbanhail could sue them for breaching fair use, though. You'd think "being allowed to do comparison shopping" is a fundamental right in commerce.

All Uber has stopped doing is giving them that information for free. If Urbanhail finds a non-API reliant way of doing it there's nothing Uber can do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As someone in a union, it's disappointing to hear about all these innovative ideas that are ultimately at the expense of full time employment. The whole 'disruption ' seems very oblivious to creating safer working conditions. Not surprisingly I don't see many jobs that seem to disrupt the challenges of having a steady safe and livable job, they all want to just go back to the halcyon days of the Robber barons :(

I'm surprised they haven't gotten around to disrupting child labor laws.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

All Uber has stopped doing is giving them that information for free. If Urbanhail finds a non-API reliant way of doing it there's nothing Uber can do.

Sounds easy enough. Write a background in-between app or something and package it along with? Uberfarechecker or whatever gets its poo poo from Uber, then Urbanhail gets its poo poo from that.

note: I don't know about any of this stuff

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Panfilo posted:

As someone in a union, it's disappointing to hear about all these innovative ideas that are ultimately at the expense of full time employment. The whole 'disruption ' seems very oblivious to creating safer working conditions. Not surprisingly I don't see many jobs that seem to disrupt the challenges of having a steady safe and livable job, they all want to just go back to the halcyon days of the Robber barons :(

I'm surprised they haven't gotten around to disrupting child labor laws.

Funny you should mention that, one of the SF based "artisanal kitchen uber but for food" apps Josephine actually has teamed up with a middle school to have the kids make food for them and help raise some cash for the school!

Here's a fluffy piece written by a literal child about how cool it is.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/05/19/476492503/why-one-startup-is-offering-meals-made-by-home-cooks-and-middle-schoolers

Here's the local health regulators shutting them down, whoops!

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/05/11/food-startup-josephine-pauses-east-bay-operations/

Scumbag CEO posted:

U.S. regulations do not allow for the exchange of food for money without commercial food facilities, business permits, and the resources required to navigate these complex processes (read: lots of spare time and thousands of dollars). These factors are extremely prohibitive for most people, especially stay-at-home parents, immigrants, and others who are not only the most disadvantaged members of the work force, but who are also the most practiced home cooks. The people who nourish our families and communities are both prohibited from benefiting from their skills, they are also actively denied the education, safety training, and pooled resources that could help them be safer, more accountable, and more successful in their cooking.
w-won't somebody please disrupt for the children? :qq:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Randler posted:

Uber strike me as so full of themselves they would put something in their ToS like "your vehicle's value is part of our companies value and by using our service we now own your car" in some little subsection no one has read.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My high school shut me and a friend down for going to McDonald's and taco bell and poo poo and buying like $50 worth of shot off the dollar menu to resell for a 100% profit because of stuff like food safety laws, I guess I was ahead of my time

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://wype.com/

It's a startup that comes and washes your car wherever it is after you order it with an app. Unfortunately there is a waiting list.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I was wondering what part of the country would have deployed environmental investigators to shut down a glorified bake sale.

Imagine my lack of surprise when it was California.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angular Landbury posted:

I was wondering what part of the country would have deployed environmental investigators to shut down a glorified bake sale.

And you know it's in the US of A because they didn't think to shut it down due to child labor laws. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

As regards an ad recruiting new drivers to Uber:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

Funny you should mention that, one of the SF based "artisanal kitchen uber but for food" apps Josephine actually has teamed up with a middle school to have the kids make food for them and help raise some cash for the school!

Here's a fluffy piece written by a literal child about how cool it is.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/05/19/476492503/why-one-startup-is-offering-meals-made-by-home-cooks-and-middle-schoolers

Here's the local health regulators shutting them down, whoops!

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/05/11/food-startup-josephine-pauses-east-bay-operations/

w-won't somebody please disrupt for the children? :qq:

Hahaha this is seriously some good rear end poo poo

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's a startup that comes and washes your car wherever it is after you order it with an app. Unfortunately there is a waiting list.

I'd pay someone to deice and clean my car after a snowstorm, but I somehow doubt the people running this have ever lived in a place with serious winter weather.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

As regards an ad recruiting new drivers to Uber:

This is some America's Army level bullshit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What do you the Satirical version of Uber will be called in the next GTA game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mUnter, presumably.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jumpingmanjim posted:

TaxiHeil

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Luber

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Angular Landbury posted:

This isn't a glorified bake sale though. If you wanted to use this service to bake cookies and brownies and rice crispy treats and someone wanted to use the service to buy cookies and brownies and rice crispy treats they'd be in the clear. California has exemptions for baked goods, candies, pastas, and other dry foods that don't require refrigeration once they're cooked.

The reason why the company isn't in the clear is because they sold commercial-quality foods without following any of the laws that apply to commercial-quality food preparers. The company can say they vetted the chefs and checked out the kitchens but you can bet the county health agencies haven't.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

They'll just use one of the founders' own coinage: boober

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

This isn't a glorified bake sale though. If you wanted to use this service to bake cookies and brownies and rice crispy treats and someone wanted to use the service to buy cookies and brownies and rice crispy treats they'd be in the clear. California has exemptions for baked goods, candies, pastas, and other dry foods that don't require refrigeration once they're cooked.

The reason why the company isn't in the clear is because they sold commercial-quality foods without following any of the laws that apply to commercial-quality food preparers. The company can say they vetted the chefs and checked out the kitchens but you can bet the county health agencies haven't.

States generally also have exceptions for things like "cottage industries" where people are just running something small out of their kitchen. It varies by state but "industrial scale commercial food production done in schools by students" is absolutely not one of those either.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Whatever it is, it has to have a dick joke.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Puber had daniel tosh not taken it

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The laws on commercial kitchens aren't THAT intense anyway and are usually easy to work with. Even up here in communist Canuckistan having a home kitchen certified isn't outside of the realm of possibility and I can rent a fully licensed gigantic kitchen for like $20 / hr.

Here's an idea - maybe the company profiting off of literal child labour and the poor disenfranchised home cooks should foot the bill or provide the facilities to prepare food safely? "Thousands" of dollars is for sure not a minor amount for a poor grandma who wants to cook, but it's routine for any business. Especially when California already specifically has relaxed regulations for home-based food operations (that Josephine readily admits it's cooks don't meet)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

MiddleOne posted:

They should do it the Silicon Valley way - with algorithms.

For example, take the highest fare of the services that allow you to get data, add 50%, and put that down for Uber with an asterisk. It would be interesting to see who blinks first at that point.

* estimated cost, actual cost may vary.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Credit Karma but for uber

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
When do we get The Uber for Hilarious Online Comedy Discussion Forums Lowtax? :argh:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jumpingmanjim posted:

This poo poo is just terrible. They're basically crowding into spaces previously occupied by kids and homeless people now.

There's a homeless guy in my neighborhood (where most people have to park on the street) who, in the winter, a lot of people pay to clear the snow off their cars in the early AM before they have to go to work. I don't know how it originally started, but he has a brush and a small shovel and a lot of people give him 5-10 bucks to clear their car off as he sweeps through the neighborhood. It seems to work really great because he's fuckin homeless so it's not like he has anywhere to be at 3am and he told me he makes enough from one snow to rent a hotel room to stay warm for as long as a week, and the hotel he usually goes to doesn't mind if he lets a bunch of other homeless folks stay with him.

If somebody app-ifies that kind of thing someone else is going to start doing that poo poo cheaper and this guy is going to be stuck freezing all winter because lol if society is actually going to do anything about his homelessness. At least the way it was before he could sleep inside during the coldest times by being a bit entrepreneurial.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Eh, I feel like the kind of people that will turn to some app to get their car washed probably weren't patronizing some homeless guy or some kids to begin with. On the other hand, if someone set up the same business, only with a phone number you call and they dispatch a carwasher to you instead of by an app, it would be rightfully unnoteworthy as this should be. So it's still dumb to treat any of these as something more than any other small business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This poo poo is just terrible. They're basically crowding into spaces previously occupied by kids and homeless people now.

There's a homeless guy in my neighborhood (where most people have to park on the street) who, in the winter, a lot of people pay to clear the snow off their cars in the early AM before they have to go to work. I don't know how it originally started, but he has a brush and a small shovel and a lot of people give him 5-10 bucks to clear their car off as he sweeps through the neighborhood. It seems to work really great because he's fuckin homeless so it's not like he has anywhere to be at 3am and he told me he makes enough from one snow to rent a hotel room to stay warm for as long as a week, and the hotel he usually goes to doesn't mind if he lets a bunch of other homeless folks stay with him.

If somebody app-ifies that kind of thing someone else is going to start doing that poo poo cheaper and this guy is going to be stuck freezing all winter because lol if society is actually going to do anything about his homelessness. At least the way it was before he could sleep inside during the coldest times by being a bit entrepreneurial.

This part of the tech bubble is basically where everyone has ran out of ideas so theyre running around going "we'll build a platform for doing x, but with an app" and that's it.

I'm at a relatively small non-profit in SF, and at least a couple times a week i get cold calls from some developers who've built "a platform that connects donors with non-profits" and all we have to do is pump their platform full of content and then the dollars will start rolling in!

It's obvious these folks have never worked at non-profits or seen anything about the digital/directmail divide, they just think you need to build a platform, get a bunch of content & users on it ... And profit! It's not even worth researching the market you want to get into or have any experience, just build a platform and an app and expect money to come rolling in.