Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

she's diagnosing the sick zigzagoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I feel like this is another way of saying "It's for kids! Of course it's stupid!" But seriously that's a weaksauce reason. Something can be silly and innovative/enjoyable. The pokemon anime's greatest weakness is it's dull. Powerfully dull. It's not even silliness it's just the story is tired and worn out and yet they keep beating the dead horse. I want it to be fun but at the very least have consistency, move a plot along and give it lasting consequences. ANY plot would do at this point.

its not just for kids, its for selling poo poo to kids, the show does this admirably and has little reason to hire someone to write a better plot

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like, the profit margins on the anime is almost certainly insane, and better writing isn't actually gonna matter to that at all, so why bother

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Solumin posted:

:psyduck: :wtf: :wtf: :psyduck: what is she doing with her nose.

What the hell does it look like?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Momomo posted:

What the hell does it look like?

Fair enough.

But why.

oddium posted:

she's diagnosing the sick zigzagoon

I'm not sure the zigzagoon appreciates it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mandatory lesbian posted:

like, the profit margins on the anime is almost certainly insane, and better writing isn't actually gonna matter to that at all, so why bother

The writers could easily make something better. The problem is that when they try for anything involved, it is subject to being overridden by their marketing department at a moment's notice. Remember the GS Ball? That was building up to a whole Celebi event, but the writers were ordered to drop it completely. Combine the pressures from higher up with poor profit margins, an audience with very low standards that replaces itself quickly, and the inherent deadlines of each new game's release and you can see why the show isn't anywhere near what it could be.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I got 2 Darkrai codes, first 2 to grab 'em get 'em!

A5Z376XHELCH27Z9
A5Z376TPWE66NMRP

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Solumin posted:

:psyduck: :wtf: :wtf: :psyduck: what is she doing with her nose.

Japan loves dog butts for whatever reason, see: basically every shiba inu owner's image gallery

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Japan loves dog butts for whatever reason, see: basically every shiba inu owner's image gallery

they made an entire zelda game about dog butts

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Geostomp posted:

The writers could easily make something better. The problem is that when they try for anything involved, it is subject to being overridden by their marketing department at a moment's notice. Remember the GS Ball? That was building up to a whole Celebi event, but the writers were ordered to drop it completely. Combine the pressures from higher up with poor profit margins, an audience with very low standards that replaces itself quickly, and the inherent deadlines of each new game's release and you can see why the show isn't anywhere near what it could be.

The last time they tried to write something the earthquakes happened and they had to drop it, too.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Rose Spirit posted:

A5Z376XHELCH27Z9

Used this code, thanks. :coal:

Azreth
Jan 1, 2007

That's it. No more donuts for Masuka.

Rose Spirit posted:

A5Z376TPWE66NMRP
Grabbed the other code. Thanks a ton! Figured I was poo poo out of luck on getting once since I missed the GS promotion.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Momomo posted:

The last time they tried to write something the earthquakes happened and they had to drop it, too.

I feel like the mega evolution series was an attempt to branch off to the older audience but the writing for that series is pretty poo poo too. Not to mention it got shoehorned into the main series anyhow. The best they could do is make smaller spin off series while keeping the main money pumping monster at the forefront. Mind you like I said several pages back, just read webseries if you want decent story telling with pokemon. When you don't have executives/editors breathing down your neck the quality improves dramatically.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I'm catching up on this thread and apparently a lot of dumb idiots actually want pokemon fusions? Please god no I want to play pokemon not Yu-Gi-Oh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space T Rex posted:

I'm catching up on this thread and apparently a lot of dumb idiots actually want pokemon fusions? Please god no I want to play pokemon not Yu-Gi-Oh.

its actually like noted badass show DBZ

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space T Rex posted:

Too bad, you're getting fusions whether you want to or not so best get used to it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Space T Rex posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a thing people in this thread want, but it's still going to happen.

Just come to terms with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

You should want to play both imo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want to fuse with my Muk

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

oddium posted:

the gen 3 special manga is the best one so far. ruby and sapphire are both pretty neat characters

I like the ending to the RSE part of the manga the most, but when it comes to actual content in the arc itself, RSE has got NOTHING on D/P/Pt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tardigrade posted:

But it remains a story about catching weird monsters and cramming them into little balls. Pokemon will never make sense, just embrace the silliness and enjoy it.

i will not be satisfied until, instead of boxing my pokemon, i just have mom take care of my rejects free-range and everyone in new beginnings town starts calling her a crazy cat lady

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
so i picked up a copy of heartgold, which is the best starter? I usually like to go with a water type as my starter cuz they can use ice attacks but sell me on the other two

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Flopsy posted:

I feel like the mega evolution series was an attempt to branch off to the older audience but the writing for that series is pretty poo poo too. Not to mention it got shoehorned into the main series anyhow. The best they could do is make smaller spin off series while keeping the main money pumping monster at the forefront. Mind you like I said several pages back, just read webseries if you want decent story telling with pokemon. When you don't have executives/editors breathing down your neck the quality improves dramatically.

That series could have amounted to something if there were more effort put into it. Unfortunately, it's just a vehicle to show off the megas with no real story and an intensely dull protagonist.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

corn in the fridge posted:

so i picked up a copy of heartgold, which is the best starter? I usually like to go with a water type as my starter cuz they can use ice attacks but sell me on the other two

no you're right it's totodile

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

No just pick Totodile

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I want more spin-offs/specials like Origins, that was cool

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i will not be satisfied until, instead of boxing my pokemon, i just have mom take care of my rejects free-range and everyone in new beginnings town starts calling her a crazy cat lady

Thematically it would be pretty cool if in some gen you start off as the kid of a pokemon rancher, and as your boxes of pokemon grow you can return home and see the ones that have overworld sprites romping around in fields or ponds.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://kotaku.com/out-of-720-pokemon-pikachu-wasnt-voted-number-one-1780991790

That popularity poll in Japan ended. It's skewed because of the giveaway aspect, but it's still pretty interesting.

Poor Simisear came in dead last.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Personally I like Cyndaquil a lot, but totodile is more popular for some reason.

Chikorita is adorable but also complete trash.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Solumin posted:

I was an idiot and picked the adorable plant trashmon as my starter for Soul Silver because hurf durf I never pick the grass starter.

What a stupid choice jesus christ :doh:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Solumin posted:

Personally I like Cyndaquil a lot, but totodile is more popular for some reason.

Totodile eventually becomes a badass crocodile, also water types often have decent movepools, especially when nearly every water type can get ice moves.

I've really got to properly train one one of these days...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Solumin posted:

Not more popular, but better and more competitively viable.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a thing people in this thread want, but it's still going to happen.

Just come to terms with it.

I dont get this. There is no reason to expect fusions...?

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

less laughter posted:

Not more popular, but better and more competitively viable.

Cyndaquil is the best and I use Typhlosion on my competitive team and he does just fine. :colbert:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Space T Rex posted:

The reasons are that Ash-Greninja is A Thing in the anime, the symbol on the Japanese logos for Sun and Moon, as well as the trinket thingie on the male PC's bracelet, is similar to the trinket featured in Pokemon Reburst, a manga based around humans with the ability to fuse with these Pokemon crystal thingies. Oh yeah, and you can see the trainers in battle now.

I'm personally not buying into fusion until it's confirmed, if at all, but people acted kind of rear end in a top hat-y about the idea of Fairies ever since Sylveon (Or even months before its debut? I forget...), and the typing has become a thing. THEN AGAIN, if Fusion IS a thing, you'd think there would be a huge leak on 2ch about it and other details about Sun and Moon.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Space T Rex posted:

if you want to click around there are plenty of explanations on various websites about why fusions are gunna happen. I don't think any of them are very compelling personally. Most of them revolve around "Ash Greninja from the show" and "some manga everyone hated"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space T Rex posted:

Are you a Dwebble? Because you're living under a rock.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Typhlosion has the exact same base stats as Charizard and aside from the Normal moves everything gets, it has like one non-Fire move. Extrasensory. By breeding with a Vulpix father. It's not as bad as Meganium but it's so far from good it's actually unbelievable.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm disappointed in Japan, both at how few of the best Pokemon line there is in the top 100, and that the only one that is, is #75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Dexie posted:

http://kotaku.com/out-of-720-pokemon-pikachu-wasnt-voted-number-one-1780991790

That popularity poll in Japan ended. It's skewed because of the giveaway aspect, but it's still pretty interesting.

Poor Simisear came in dead last.

God, do they have a full list of all 720 rankings up? I really wanna know who ranked just ABOVE Simisear.

• Locked thread