Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Gigi Galli posted:

Could try here too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741767

We used to have a book thread (a few actually) but it's usually the same suggestions and it dies out after a page or two.. Inverting the pyramid is one of them, I can't remember if there are any other tactics based ones.
brilliant orange is dope because zonal marking style drawing board tactics are pretty much fake and it teaches you how the really good dutch teams made decisions to manipulate space, which is what tactics are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Could try here too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741767

We used to have a book thread (a few actually) but it's usually the same suggestions and it dies out after a page or two.. Inverting the pyramid is one of them, I can't remember if there are any other tactics based ones.

The Ball is Round is a great history of tactics.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

The Ball is Round is a great history of tactics.
the writer is a really cool guy and there's no builshit in the book. i'd highly recommend it too

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
what was that book that said the USA and Iraq would be soccer powers in short time?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

ayb posted:

what was that book that said the USA and Iraq would be soccer powers in short time?

Soccernomics

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iraq??

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ayb posted:

i think he said that by 20XX (a generation or two) USA, India, and China would have good teams because they were new footballing countries investing a lot in their infrastructure and have a lot of people. it came out like 10 years ago and nothing has changed, but those countries all do seem like they are getting much better at developing players.

but it's an 800 page book. even if the conclusion sucks, the history is still very good.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ayb posted:

"after russia nukes europe and brazil conquers all of south america, the US and Iraq will confidently claim top 8 at the World Cup"

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Soccernomics is one of the worst books

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro is a great book about the corruption in lower level Italian football. Also Carlo Cudicini played for them at one point

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Here was the tag line

"Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport"

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

straight up brolic posted:

i think he said that by 20XX (a generation or two) USA, India, and China would have good teams because they were new footballing countries investing a lot in their infrastructure and have a lot of people. it came out like 10 years ago and nothing has changed, but those countries all do seem like they are getting much better at developing players.

but it's an 800 page book. even if the conclusion sucks, the history is still very good.

China is not getting any better at youth development

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

brilliant orange is dope because zonal marking style drawing board tactics are pretty much fake and it teaches you how the really good dutch teams made decisions to manipulate space, which is what tactics are.

I sent this book as a TRPSS present and they didn't seem to really appreciate it. Which sucks because I agree that it's a very interesting book. I used to send Futebol, a history of the game in Brazil for TRPSS, but copies were tough to come by.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

China is not getting any better at youth development
They're not getting good, but it must be better than it was. They have a semi-real league now. Not hard to see them rivalling/bettering Japan or Korea in 20 years.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Shrapnig posted:

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro is a great book about the corruption in lower level Italian football. Also Carlo Cudicini played for them at one point

This book is better than Italian football.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I enjoyed this when I read it years ago but the author was a prime candidate for the weekend web.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sexy af, but just mock-ups from a Villa forum unfortunately

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

:siren: BOX ALERT :siren:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

good

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Is this for the Thai national team?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

birds posted:

Is this for the Thai national team?

Yes, the FA's 100 year anniversary

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Wow these run rings around the shitholes that are the Leicester boxes.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

KFBR392 posted:

Wow these run rings around the shitholes that are the Leicester boxes.

:vince:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

They're not getting good, but it must be better than it was. They have a semi-real league now. Not hard to see them rivalling/bettering Japan or Korea in 20 years.

Nah. The league has no more pathways for young Chinese players than it ever did, and there's been next to no investment in youth policy or grass roots clubs. All the money in Chinese football is invested in bringing in marquee signings to smash 15 goals past the poo poo domestic defenses.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Nah. The league has no more pathways for young Chinese players than it ever did, and there's been next to no investment in youth policy or grass roots clubs. All the money in Chinese football is invested in bringing in marquee signings to smash 15 goals past the poo poo domestic defenses.

MLS has built some academies but otherwise could be described in the exact same manner

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

wicka posted:

MLS has built some academies but otherwise could be described in the exact same manner

And they don't have a good national team either

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Thanks for the book recommendations. It is a pipe dream of mine to get a US coaching license on the side and work part time for some second or third tier team and over the course of a few years help get them promoted to the next division up.

I like to set reasonable goals.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Love Stole the Day posted:

and over the course of a few years help get them promoted to the next division up.

Hmmm

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Love Stole the Day posted:

Thanks for the book recommendations. It is a pipe dream of mine to get a US coaching license on the side and work part time for some second or third tier team and over the course of a few years help get them promoted to the next division up.

I like to set reasonable goals.

I'm so sorry.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, there's no promotion/relegation in semi-pro/pro soccer in the US. If you want to help a grassroots team accomplish anything, you have to do it at the amateur level and aim to get involved in the US Open Cup. If coaching a team in that manner is something you want to pursue, then look into the participating amateur leagues for the US Open Cup and see what it takes to participate in those leagues.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah, there's no promotion/relegation in semi-pro/pro soccer in the US. If you want to help a grassroots team accomplish anything, you have to do it at the amateur level and aim to get involved in the US Open Cup. If coaching a team in that manner is something you want to pursue, then look into the participating amateur leagues for the US Open Cup and see what it takes to participate in those leagues.

This is good advice

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
If you havent already, Football Manager game on PC is a good way to practice. I believe there is a 2016 version out.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

JEF United

Tokyo Verdi

Unfortunately these are only for some conmemorative match or something, not for use in the league

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Unbelievable, JEF

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
... but it seems like we say that every season

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The one with the Burger King on the inside is the best version of that gimmick.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are those real? Why does the second one lack the Kappa badge?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Can't believe I'm saying this but I kinda like the rumoured Juve third

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 8, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Simone Poodoin posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this but I kinda like the rumoured Juve third

I know this is the whole point but

Adbot