Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My plan was to automate a coal essence farm somehow, dump the essences into a crafty crate and then into the coke ovens, and feed the coke into a solid fuel boiler. Not sure what the automation options are without MFR harvesters. Golems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Goon Danton posted:

My plan was to automate a coal essence farm somehow, dump the essences into a crafty crate and then into the coke ovens, and feed the coke into a solid fuel boiler. Not sure what the automation options are without MFR harvesters. Golems?

golems, forestry multifarms, some buildcraft pipe thing i don't understand

drum of the wild from botania doesn't work though, unless you manually update agricraft

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
You're thinking of a stripes pipe when you said 'some buildcraft pipe thing'.

That said, if you have ther esources/RF to set up the initial tables/etc, Buildcraft robots work well (MAKE SURE EVERYTHING STAYS CHUNK LOADED). That's what my megafarm was in Regrowth.

Regrowth gates Thaumcraft pretty late sadly (and I like thaumcraft golems but hate infusion which is needed for a few).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

some buildcraft pipe thing

nooooooo :(

Fayk posted:

(MAKE SURE EVERYTHING STAYS CHUNK LOADED)

...What happens if things stop being chunkloaded?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Gourmaryllises are a really easy way to be heavily mana positive.

Do a redstone spreader on a hovering hourglass set for like a minute, a hopperhock attached to a b-space barrel, then on the other end of your b-space barrel use buildcraft pipes to feed flour into furnaces (with an exoflame for fuel) and have the furnaces hopper into opencrates that drop food on the gourmaryllises.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

nooooooo :(

...What happens if things stop being chunkloaded?

I never lost any robots to that, but what I remember seeing happen was robots that went to 'sleep' (returned to their dock, slept for a while) as if there was no work to do even when there were plenty of crops to harvest.

That said, the chunk loaders in Regrowth weren't too expensive once you got near midgame.

The biggest problem to robots is the RF investment to *make* them. They run fairly cheap I found. But making the initial crystal (a block of redstone one of the BC tables) took forever. Eventually I had a ridiculous number though.

I feel like Buildcraft robots are weirdly poorly documented, though. Also I felt like they were subpar for tree farms because they run into the 'tree can grow into the space I'm in' problem that can also afflict Turtles, etc.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Magres posted:

Do a redstone spreader on a hovering hourglass set for like a minute, a hopperhock attached to a b-space barrel, then on the other end of your b-space barrel use buildcraft pipes to feed flour into furnaces (with an exoflame for fuel) and have the furnaces hopper into opencrates that drop food on the gourmaryllises.

While they're not super efficient, I do love gigantic towers (or anti-towers) of the water soaking flowers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

(or anti-towers)

i believe the term is "topographical anomaly"

(come to think of it, minecraft is already pretty Vandermeer. i mean, mooshrooms??)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i believe the term is "topographical anomaly"

(come to think of it, minecraft is already pretty Vandermeer. i mean, mooshrooms??)

Sounds reminiscent of Roadside Picnic. How accurate is that?

Anyway, Regrowth: the Mariculture crucible furnace is just worthless once I have a TiCon smelter, correct?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Goon Danton posted:

Anyway, Regrowth: the Mariculture crucible furnace is just worthless once I have a TiCon smelter, correct?

yep, it's just there to gate out the rest of the pack

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Unless there's some other way to do it that I haven't figured out yet, you still need it to melt limestone to get magnesium for purifying titanium. Just dumping the limestone into the smeltery doesn't work though maybe it sorta could if you output the quicklime into a vat from the smeltery? You'd still need to retrieve the magnesium and melt it down in the smeltery to actually use it.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

It's also useful if you go down the path of fish breeding, and on occasion otherwise.

But yes, don't use it as your general-purpose ore processing mechanism. That should either be TiCon or (later) Mekanism probably

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Goon Danton posted:

bit (lot) more body horror but there are tinges, i guess. i wouldn't really consider them that similar though

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fayk posted:

It's also useful if you go down the path of fish breeding, . . .

. . . but why would you do that?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

. . . but why would you do that?

Well you see...

...well, I guess that's probably a good point. Not sure if there are any unique/hard to get resources you could viably get that way, since it's sort of a parallel to bees but yeah.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

taiyoko posted:

Unless there's some other way to do it that I haven't figured out yet, you still need it to melt limestone to get magnesium for purifying titanium. Just dumping the limestone into the smeltery doesn't work though maybe it sorta could if you output the quicklime into a vat from the smeltery? You'd still need to retrieve the magnesium and melt it down in the smeltery to actually use it.

Nope, you can melt lime in a smelters, and pump it out using wood buildcraft pipes into a tank, or into the vat itself. Then apply magnesium dust to vat.

Mariculture is a boring gate to TiCon. gently caress using the mariculture furnace for making seared bricks.

Also, gently caress Witchery. That is a boring rear end mod.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Dalaram posted:

Nope, you can melt lime in a smelters, and pump it out using wood buildcraft pipes into a tank, or into the vat itself. Then apply magnesium dust to vat.

Mariculture is a boring gate to TiCon. gently caress using the mariculture furnace for making seared bricks.

Also, gently caress Witchery. That is a boring rear end mod.

Just dump in some coal, set up a hopper feeding the furnace a hojillion cobblestone, and set up hoppers to take the output of the ingot caster.

Witchery seemed kinda cool to me, except it's mostly multiplayer-oriented and seemed kinda out of place otherwise.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fayk posted:

Witchery seemed kinda cool to me, except it's mostly multiplayer-oriented and seemed kinda out of place otherwise.

Yeah, it's pretty great if you have other people to torment with your hexes and poo poo (especially if they don't know Witchery), but in single player there's just not a lot of incentive to progress.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand what you could even do with Witchery in Regrowth apart from growing a few of the plants (like Snowbells) since you need a coven to do basically everything as far as I know. Like I remember the quests having me grow them early on (I didn't play the pack very long) but I didn't really have any idea why.

I guess you could become a vampire or werewolf, though why you would do that...

Edit: VVVV Oh, welp. I had no idea.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 7, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

I don't understand what you could even do with Witchery in Regrowth apart from growing a few of the plants (like Snowbells) since you need a coven to do basically everything as far as I know. Like I remember the quests having me grow them early on (I didn't play the pack very long) but I didn't really have any idea why.

I guess you could become a vampire or werewolf, though why you would do that...

There are actually neutral witches out in the wasteland, like in a normal map.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

I used pretty much this setup.

Here is my main farm where ive got 9x9 of 10/10/10 seeds. Pretty much unused, However over to the right, underneath the ground is a network of pipes that the few scattered golems and hopperhocks keep overfull (i have 2ndry hopperhocks picking up stuff thrown out from full chests/pipes)
You can set eh main collection chest though

Here is my mana setup. That pontoon out in the ocean is 4x 9x9 10/10/10 coal.

Here's bob, not doing much, but he hasnt been paid in years, so.. When he does work, the hopperhock picks it up and runs it through the crate to craft

This was added in later when i would come back and find the entire area littered with coal after my chests over flowed.

I like regrowth, but the frame lag is painful and the biome changes suck arse. Im almost tempted to cheat in the bloodmagic blocks, but gently caress bloodmagic without mrf spawners or stuff.

Oh as i have a neutral witch that hangs out by my silverwood tree that is sort fo left in the first image. Never seen any others.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 7, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

I did this with a potato farm

Mana positive until someone keeps stopping the cart

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh right yeah do it with potatoes, not wheat. Sorry, I did that setup a while ago and forgot :shobon:

We had like thousands and thousands of poison potatoes as byproducts

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You can get a botania / agricraft farm going in regrowth, you just have to overlap the drums. I made a 18×18 farm which would normally take 4 drums and I used around 20. This ends up getting 95% of the blocks. Costs a lot more mana but that shouldn't be an issue with fire essences -> lava buckets -> thermalillies.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In bloodmagic is there any way to altar the config so that the altar doesnt drain so fast? And keep more blood?

I am playing simply magic and the later wont keep 1k blood in there, it drains to 0 way too fast.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

In bloodmagic is there any way to altar the config so that the altar doesnt drain so fast? And keep more blood?

I am playing simply magic and the later wont keep 1k blood in there, it drains to 0 way too fast.

what's happening is that the blood altar has an internal buffer tank that has to fill before it'll accumulate any more blood

just keep filling it and it'll eventually get full and then keep life essence in the usable pool

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm playing minecraft again, because vivecraft is sick.

I want to mod a bit, but I don't want any of the heavyweight mods because that will tank my FPS and lead to headaches etc, which I obviously want to avoid.

We're probably getting tinker's construct, simply because it has both ore duplication and really nice tools, and I think it was redlogic that has redpower kind of wires and basically nothing else in it, so surely that won't tank my fps right? :v:

Are there any other recommended lightweight mods?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Truga posted:

So I'm playing minecraft again, because vivecraft is sick.

I want to mod a bit, but I don't want any of the heavyweight mods because that will tank my FPS and lead to headaches etc, which I obviously want to avoid.

We're probably getting tinker's construct, simply because it has both ore duplication and really nice tools, and I think it was redlogic that has redpower kind of wires and basically nothing else in it, so surely that won't tank my fps right? :v:

Are there any other recommended lightweight mods?

does vivecraft even work with mods?

Storage Drawers and Similax Transtructors are good utility mods with a low footprint

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it runs with forge recently, but any mods that add custom HUD elements like minimaps or WAILA will either break it or simply not work.

e: storage drawers look great, and the transtructor is awesome, thanks! Will also probably use the chicken ender pouch/chest thing, that thing is super useful.

I put up a private server for myself & friends and we build poo poo, and then they come over to check out what they built in 1st person (and go oh my god this is awesome all the time, it's great). :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Can someone explain how the MegaPackager is supposed to work? Can't get it to do anything. (Ferret Business, btw)

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 8, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I never bothered with the Megapackager, I think it's only for objects with sub-2(1?) FMC values for bundling them into partial crates, etc.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The mega packager is also used to fulfill contracts, which can actually get some pretty decent returns of coins/badges.

I find it only works if you have the thing you're filling, i.e. the contract or the crate, in the upper-left corner slot. The rest of the stuff goes in the other slots without stacking. So if you have the Cheap contract that requires 5 diamond nuggets and 50 emerald nuggets, you would have exactly 50 slots with emerald nuggets in them and 5 slots with diamond nuggets. If you have 51 slots of emerald nuggets, it won't work. Then you can pull the filled contract out of the output slot.
If you have multiple of the same contract, you can put everything in at once, just like a huge-rear end crafting grid. That's all the packager is, really.

For crates, it's basically the same, but you have to have at least 100FMC worth of crap in a crate to craft it. If you have 20 fence posts in there and a crate in the upper-left slot, you get a 100FMC crate. I think you may have to have an exact multiple of 100, I dunno I've never tried it.

Once you have filled crates, you can combine filled crates directly in a normal crafting grid but it's a little finicky until you hit 1000FMC. There's no 800FMC crate, IIRC, so if you have a 500FMC crate and three 100FMC crates you won't be able to shove them together.

TL,DR: The contract or crate you're filling goes in the upper-left slot of the packager. Don't bother with making crates of less than 1000FMC, it's a pain in the rear end. Don't use the mega packager for crates of 1000FMC or more.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

The mega packager is also used to fulfill contracts, which can actually get some pretty decent returns of coins/badges.

I find it only works if you have the thing you're filling, i.e. the contract or the crate, in the upper-left corner slot. The rest of the stuff goes in the other slots without stacking. So if you have the Cheap contract that requires 5 diamond nuggets and 50 emerald nuggets, you would have exactly 50 slots with emerald nuggets in them and 5 slots with diamond nuggets. If you have 51 slots of emerald nuggets, it won't work. Then you can pull the filled contract out of the output slot.
If you have multiple of the same contract, you can put everything in at once, just like a huge-rear end crafting grid. That's all the packager is, really.

For crates, it's basically the same, but you have to have at least 100FMC worth of crap in a crate to craft it. If you have 20 fence posts in there and a crate in the upper-left slot, you get a 100FMC crate. I think you may have to have an exact multiple of 100, I dunno I've never tried it.

Once you have filled crates, you can combine filled crates directly in a normal crafting grid but it's a little finicky until you hit 1000FMC. There's no 800FMC crate, IIRC, so if you have a 500FMC crate and three 100FMC crates you won't be able to shove them together.

TL,DR: The contract or crate you're filling goes in the upper-left slot of the packager. Don't bother with making crates of less than 1000FMC, it's a pain in the rear end. Don't use the mega packager for crates of 1000FMC or more.

Just gonna say btw that the RFTools crafter (esp upgraded to lv3) is pretty great. The UI is a little wonky, but once you know how to use it and if you put the steps in the right order, you can dump a bunch of crates into it and have them combine them.

I have one that takes an object that I turn into like ~64 crates worth 1000FMC and bundles them up, keeping them internal until they reach the max (100k) mark, then those go into a SAG mill, etc.

Next version of FB is (I think) going to change a lot of how the rewards/etc work out. Hopefully there will be more decent rewards and less trash. There's some cool random endgame/end-mod stuff in the high end packs, but I've also opened legendary (or is it the one below) and gotten...a chiseled diamond block. For something that is like 250 or 500 tickets. Wat.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's all about the thrill of the spin, man.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
What sort of renewable systems are people using to generate FMC?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falcon2001 posted:

What sort of renewable systems are people using to generate FMC?

I play Minecraft very slowly, but compressed cobble can be used pretty well. 3x gets you 1500, 4x gets 3500-ish. Mob drops can also be used if you have a grinder setup.

If you have a surplus of RF, you can also go from cobble to gunpowder and crate that.

Also see if any food items have FMC - stuffed eggplants should be pretty good, or hamburgers.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
So in thaumcraft 5, dunno if it's in thaumcraft 4, but if your warp is high enough, one of the warp events is a cultist invasion though a portal that happens near you.

I play on a single mod server (thaumcraft) and live in a village with the others and the cultists burned down part of the village in their attempt to get me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

So in thaumcraft 5, dunno if it's in thaumcraft 4, but if your warp is high enough, one of the warp events is a cultist invasion though a portal that happens near you.

I play on a single mod server (thaumcraft) and live in a village with the others and the cultists burned down part of the village in their attempt to get me.

That is definitely not in Thaumcraft 4 but it sounds pretty awesome.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bbcisdabomb posted:

I play Minecraft very slowly, but compressed cobble can be used pretty well. 3x gets you 1500, 4x gets 3500-ish. Mob drops can also be used if you have a grinder setup.

If you have a surplus of RF, you can also go from cobble to gunpowder and crate that.

Also see if any food items have FMC - stuffed eggplants should be pretty good, or hamburgers.

Quotin myself to say stuffed eggplants don't have FMC, but vanilla foods do, so making bread is good for 25/FMC each - using a SAG mill and running that flour through a redstone furnace with the food doubler upgrade means each wheat is worth 100FMC for a bit of RF.

Gunpowder is also 500, so a few upgrades on your production chain can really get some income there. It's significantly cheaper than all the redstone you need for a Extra Utilities cobblegen, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Sadly not many of the Pam's foods have FMC values (yet?).

You could also go direct RF->FMC if you have space RF via the batteries.

Someone else was doing obsidian->those thaumcraft obsidian things since for some reason it multiplies the fmc slightly.

I noticed that there's a huge FMC difference between coal and charcoal. Technically you could (this is silly probably) do charcoal+sticks -> torch -> precision sawmill -> COAL+sticks.

Alternately if you can get to the end and set up a grinder there, ender pearls are 1k FMC each.

My lategame method of breaking FMC was Matter Overdrive .