Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RentACop posted:

I wonder how many bernie bros are gonna cultureflip, on paper there's not nearly as many as there were PUMAs back in the day but they seem a lot madder and I've been reading a lot of borderline accelerationist stuff

I guaran-loving-tee you that they will not matter at all. Toxx me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Schnorkles posted:

I think there's a question about whether or not if things get really bad before convention if they do a rules change and just put someone else up for the nom.

This has two big problems though:

1.) The state of GOP fundraising is abysmal right now. There is also literally 0 infrastructure in place [see the articles about NC having like 3 operatives total from the RNC] and Trump is not workign to put any of those things into place.

2.) There is a significant portion of the party who agrees with everything Trump is saying right now. I don't think you can gauge the effect that stealing the election from Trump would have on at least a significant minority of the party. Best case it just depresses turnout, worst case it permanently fractures the party.

It's not clear who would be willing to run on the top of a ticket with the above two things in place. Also, someone would theoretically have to start putting together a convention right now. Tends to be the job of the campaigns.

I'm guessing the huge money donors that normally back republican candidates are all spooked as hell by trump right now

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just heard a California delegate for Trump who is also a state legislator melt down on NPR on the way to work.

"Trump is losing big to Latinos in the polls, and we talked to some Latinos and they all hate Trump except for this one weird guy."

"Well, that just shows the diversity of opinions, and you can't trust polls."

"But Trump loves talking about polls, and the polls say he's gonna die. So..."

:qq: GOTCHA JOURNALISM :qq:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

obviously a textbook disavow

Disavow, I disavow, there. Not accountable.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Mitt Romney posted:

Does the GOP have any options aside from Trump dropping out in shame if he gets down 15-20 in the polls by the convention?

He wont get that low, and no they dont.

With that said anything can happen this election as we have breached reality and are now into magic realism.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
does this election not amuse?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

With that said anything can happen this election as we have breached reality and are now into magic realism.

ya, no joke.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/740185242888241152

The Trump dumpster fire has spread to the House.

he's decided the best way is maybe if they suppress republican voter turnout really hard they can ride the next two years out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Montasque posted:

This talking, smoking cat that no one else is remarking on just told me that Trump's polls just went up a point.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

No Mans Land 2 posted:

Hitler was also misunderstood in this way. He thought all nations and races ought to have the utmost pride in themselves, not only the "Aryan" Germans. Of course when you go against the grain of common civil society you tend to go a little crazy and I think it's unavoidable. But I think they are both right in how they see the world. It comes back to pride in one's self and in one's surroundings, that is what is most important at the end of the day for a well functioning society.

:allears:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Also shout out to the "Hitler did nothing wrong" post

I was thinking it was going to take until October to hit this point but welp

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
DNC is going to run ads in every flippable House district accusing the Republican of being a Trump supporter and making them choose between going down with Trump or throwing Trump under the bus.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Paul Ryan: "I'm Not Going To Defend" The Guy I Endorsed

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Montasque posted:

I bang this drum on and on, but 2012 + a bigger loss with latinos is where this election is heading methinks.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

DNC is going to run ads in every flippable House district accusing the Republican of being a Trump supporter and making them choose between going down with Trump or throwing Trump under the bus.

From what I've read the DNC isn't even running enough candidates to take back the House no matter how big a landslide they get.

Schnorkles posted:

I bang this drum on and on, but 2012 + a bigger loss with latinos is where this election is heading methinks.

This is likely correct.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing this before BABYPOLIS wakes up from his drunken stupor

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Slate Action posted:

From what I've read the DNC isn't even running enough candidates to take back the House no matter how big a landslide they get.

This is likely correct.

Actually flipping the house would require something fundamental to change about the current system imo.

They'll pull back within 15 seats or so and then get smashed in 2018.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Paul Ryan: "I'm Not Going To Defend" The Guy I Endorsed

Radical individualism is a failed philosophy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Can't police the French!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

this is me rn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Holy moly how did I miss this one

No Mans Land 2 posted:

Allegiance is the basis for all human society so I am not sure what point you think you are making.

It was a time of total war with the japanese. They were right to round them up. Can't judge yesterday's decisions on today's realities.

If everyone was living in total harmony there would be no reason to round anybody up.

Edit - and to clarify this point Obama would possibly be right to apologize for it now, if a former President hasn't done so already. The era of total war is over and it's time to move on.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Baloogan posted:

does this election not amuse?

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I just say in the week I was probated I watched this thread go through 2 cycles of **** Trump is melting down!!! { ultra smug liberals and Hillbots post paragraphs of dumb poo poo } then -> lol nothing matters **** and reset

Just FYI people believe what I believe and what Trump believe about lots of stereotypes. Blacks, Mexicans, Japanese, Irish..... We are not going away and neither is the xenophobia. Globalism has driven us to the brink!!!

Hillary will be indicted and if it happens before the convention Bern it down...

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

DaveWoo posted:

Trump surrogate Jeffrey Lord just accused Paul Ryan of "playing the race card" on CNN just now :lol:

Today will be as awesome as yesterday! Sweet!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Schnorkles posted:

Actually flipping the house would require something fundamental to change about the current system imo.

They'll pull back within 15 seats or so and then get smashed in 2018.

I think the big story going forward from this year will be how little the GOP will be stained by Trump. After he loses they'll just say "well what did you want us to do, vote for a Democrat" and go back to largely dominating politics at the state and local level. Then a win in 2018, plus maybe taking back the presidency in 2020 if there's a recession.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Slate Action posted:

This is likely correct.

The DNC doesn't challenge, or back challengers, to Republicans who are pro business for the business (read Wall Street) they like. The DNC also does not back progressive who beat conservative/centrists/pro business Democrats in primaries. This is a feature, not a bug.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm sure this game-changing development has already been posted.

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/740015459551084544

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I'm sure this game-changing development has already been posted.

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/740015459551084544

It has, yet it remains hilarious.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are you so quick to silence my nationalism? My conservative voice??? You don't even want to acknowledge the other side

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's a magical world hobbes ol' buddy, let's go exploring

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nice ninja edit zoux

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vile posted:

Why are you so quick to silence my nationalism? My conservative voice???

Is this a rhetorical question ?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Schnorkles posted:

I tend to agree.

I think a lot of reverse Arzying is going on right now.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

wtb pics of dick morrison eating a hamburger that is too big for his mouf

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Schnorkles posted:

I really don't see how this can go any other way. I didn't see it six months ago, either. Anyone who followed politics in 2008 and 2012 would have known that the GOP were having an issue with minority support - Dubya only got elected because of the hispanic vote, and subsequent GOP candidates haven't been able to capture even a fraction of that. Whites seem to get a little more conservative each election cycle, but the growth in that area is offset by the growth in minority voting groups, who are overwhelmingly Democrats. Until the GOP radically change their platform and start running people without a documented history of saying lovely things about minorities this is going to continue to be the case.

Jeb! Might have had a shot with this if things had gone differently. But without a leader able to rally hispanic support the GOP have to rely almost exclusively on whites to win, and racism isn't really popular among whites, either.

Bigger loss /w Latinos will probably lose Trump AZ and a few other states, I think the popular vote numbers won't be terribly lopsided but the EV count is going to be embarrassing for Trump.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
stop posting mean things about my friend donald its not ok

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Vile posted:

Can I just say in the week I was probated I watched this thread go through 2 cycles of **** Trump is melting down!!! { ultra smug liberals and Hillbots post paragraphs of dumb poo poo } then -> lol nothing matters **** and reset

Just FYI people believe what I believe and what Trump believe about lots of stereotypes. Blacks, Mexicans, Japanese, Irish..... We are not going away and neither is the xenophobia. Globalism has driven us to the brink!!!

Hillary will be indicted and if it happens before the convention Bern it down...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

wtb pics of dick morrison eating a hamburger that is too big for his mouf

Dm me @guyfieri69

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

or dick morris

whateva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU