Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

A cursory google revealed this
https://bdsmovement.net/2013/al-haq-substantial-grounds-holding-italian-firm-pizzarotti-responsible-war-crimes-11197

Al-Haq is about as mainstream as they come when it comes to palestinian NGOs and their record of defending terrorism and organizing direct violent action against Israeli settlers is so well documented.

What does this have to do with the BDS (re: Barghouti) movement's stated irredentist goals?

Ultramega posted:

Why do you have such a stick up your rear end about all of this? What's more illustrative of current trends? The fact that hardons like you literally, cannot take a joke about The Jewish State™ and your and KJI's axiomatic position of "anti-israeli sentiment is de facto anti-semitism" comes off in ways you might not intend.

I haven't said this - the fact that you're stating this shows that you just glossed over what I actually have said numerous times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You have all spent a whole page talking about BDS, so maybe it's worthwhile to mention this:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/739456398698909696
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/739486552263385088

quote:

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today issued Executive Order No. 157 directing state entities to divest all public funds supporting the Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. The first-in-the-nation action will ensure that no state agency or authority engages in or promotes any investment activity that would further the harmful and discriminatory Palestinian-backed Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign in New York State. The Governor made the announcement at the Celebrate Israel Parade.

I wonder if this will hold up in court? Seems like both executive overreach (this failed to pass in the State legislature) and State overreach (seems to be impinging upon the Commerce Clause). Here's some criticism published in the generally centrist Jewish-American Daily Forward:

quote:

With his new anti-BDS bill, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has made it that much harder for activists to take the moral high ground.

The measure couldn’t find its way through the state legislature, so Cuomo took to Twitter and announced that he would issue an executive order banning the state from doing business with groups that boycott Israel.

Perhaps worse for the pro-Israel activists than having their bill imposed on a state legislature that didn’t want it, is being associated with Cuomo himself. In a scandal-plagued state, his team is the focus of a federal investigation, which may not put him behind bars but could leave his legacy and ambitions in tatters.

Whether StandWithUs or ZOA like it or not, this petty tyranny has become the political face of anti-BDS. It seems that this how far this movement has to go, how defensive it has to get to oppose people who are so angry at Israel’s right-wing militarism that they’d take their frustration out by forgoing a Sodastream. And that’s particularly sad, because even as a non-Zionist, I’m open to hearing criticisms of BDS as a tactic. Pro-Palestine academic Norman Finkelstein has caused a stir being critical of the movement, and Noam Chomsky has come out against cultural boycotts.

We should definitely be having debates about the substance of a desired outcome for the territories and the strategies to best arrive at them. But if one’s course of action is to get an unlikable political hack to bypass the legislature to outlaw a thought crime, it makes the anti-BDS movement seem desperate and contradicts its claims to be a defender of democracy and openness.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder if this will hold up in court? Seems like both executive overreach (this failed to pass in the State legislature) and State overreach (seems to be impinging upon the Commerce Clause).
I don't think there is any interpretation of the commerce clause that dictates how states choose what organizations they do business with. If they were taking some sort of enforcement action against organizations that boycott Israel there would probably be a much stronger Federal interest. I don't know enough about NY state law to comment on the former question.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 7, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"Oh no! This action makes the anti-BDS activists looks as bad as they really are!"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You have all spent a whole page talking about BDS, so maybe it's worthwhile to mention this:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/739456398698909696
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/739486552263385088

I wonder if this will hold up in court? Seems like both executive overreach (this failed to pass in the State legislature) and State overreach (seems to be impinging upon the Commerce Clause). Here's some criticism published in the generally centrist Jewish-American Daily Forward:

How much broader is this than the federal anti-boycott law?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xandu posted:

That's a good question. I keep forgetting how draconian that mess of a law is. Who knows? Maybe this move by Cuomo will backfire, create a legal challenge that goes up the court system, and end up striking out the Federal law, too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Xandu posted:

Ironically, it might actually be a violation of the federal anti-boycott law. The federal law prohibits U.S. persons and organizations from participating in foreign boycotts not sanctioned by the U.S. government. If it could be shown that Cuomo was acting in collusion with or at the behest of any Israeli government reps or agents, he might be violating it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ironically, it might actually be a violation of the federal anti-boycott law. The federal law prohibits U.S. persons and organizations from participating in foreign boycotts not sanctioned by the U.S. government. If it could be shown that Cuomo was acting in collusion with or at the behest of any Israeli government reps or agents, he might be violating it.

While I like my version better in terms of its broader ramifications, this is by far the most delicious and satisfying consequence I could imagine. :allears:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Could Cuomo be arrested for violating the law? Mostly I want to see that nepotistic back stabber humiliated.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

What, if any, reason do you have to think that Cuomo was "acting in collusion with or at the behest of any Israeli government reps or agents"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

What, if any, reason do you have to think that Cuomo was "acting in collusion with or at the behest of any Israeli government reps or agents"

Because he's an antisemite. Every single poster in this thread is an antisemite. Are we done? Is this over? Can we go home already?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Could Cuomo be arrested for violating the law? Mostly I want to see that nepotistic back stabber humiliated.
Honestly I think it's mostly financial penalties, but you'd want to talk to someone who knows way more about import/export and overseas business law than I do.
EDIT: Yeah, apparently it's a great big ball of legal spaghetti. (Spaghetti positively certified to have made and processed in Italy, rather than spaghetti certified in the negative to have not been made or processed in Certain Blacklisted Countries)

The Insect Court posted:

None whatsoever. Xandu asked how this compared to the federal prohibition in participating in foreign boycotts, but it's different from that because it's more like a counter-boycott. Given that it was announced at the "Celebrate Israel Parade" for the explicit purpose of showing New York's solidarity with the state of Israel, I'm sure Cuomo was extremely careful to comply with the federal regulation meant to keep U.S. entities from engaging in these sort of shenanigans at the behest of foreign governments.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 7, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
drat I want to see that fucker burn. He may as well be a member of the GOP. I'm just happy he's burned to many bridges with the party base to ever pursue the presidency.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because he's an antisemite. Every single poster in this thread is an antisemite. Are we done? Is this over? Can we go home already?

Obviously nobody in this thread is an antisemite, because antisemitism is probate-able in D&D. Since nobody ever gets probated for it, there is no antisemitism in the thread. QED.

That said, I think it sets a bad precedent for people to fantasize about a sitting elected governor dragged off in cuffs by the Feds because he puts into an effect a policy they disagree with. This goes whether it's freepers fantasizing about arresting politicians who sign laws against anti-trans discrimination or BDSers wanting to "see that fucker burn" when Cuomo signs an anti-boycott executive order.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Actually you blood curdling psycho I want him arrested for the various corruption he is engaged in . But if this gets him sent away that's good as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

Obviously nobody in this thread is an antisemite, because antisemitism is probate-able in D&D. Since nobody ever gets probated for it, there is no antisemitism in the thread. QED.

That said, I think it sets a bad precedent for people to fantasize about a sitting elected governor dragged off in cuffs by the Feds because he puts into an effect a policy they disagree with. This goes whether it's freepers fantasizing about arresting politicians who sign laws against anti-trans discrimination or BDSers wanting to "see that fucker burn" when Cuomo signs an anti-boycott executive order.

How about instead of speaking in generalities you read this Sitting Governor's record and the corruption probes that are getting closer and closer to him. Here, let me illustrate this for you:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some political humor for a cold day - a slide from Cuomo's 2015 State of the State:

The other amigos are Sheldon Silver, former Assembly Speaker, to Cuomo's right, and Dean Skelos, former Senate Majority Leader, to his left, both convicted of corruption within the last couple of weeks. :cawg:

Wanting a corrupt political bully to serve time isn't some loving racist fantasy, and LOL for you calling Dead Reckoning of all people a BDSer. Or are you calling me a BDSer? No, wait, that would be too close to you actually making a specific claim, you're more of the insinuating type, that way you don't feel you ever have to actually defend a position or actually contribute to any kind of conversation.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Absurd where's your av from?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

Absurd where's your av from?

Click on it to find out! :ocelot:

(It's Kate Beaton, she is great animated av material)

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How about instead of speaking in generalities you read this Sitting Governor's record and the corruption probes that are getting closer and closer to him. Here, let me illustrate this for you:

Wanting a corrupt political bully to serve time isn't some loving racist fantasy, and LOL for you calling Dead Reckoning of all people a BDSer. Or are you calling me a BDSer? No, wait, that would be too close to you actually making a specific claim, you're more of the insinuating type, that way you don't feel you ever have to actually defend a position or actually contribute to any kind of conversation.

Where in this thread have Cuomo's problems with corruption probes been mentioned? They hadn't been until you brought them up in that post.

Dead Reckoning claimed that Cuomo could conceivably be in violation of federal anti-boycott laws. Crowsbeak imagined that it could lead to Cuomo's arrest.

Wanting a politician to held accountable for corruption is unobjectionable. But that's not what the discussion was about. It was about the anti-BDS executive order Cuomo signed. Hoping that Cuomo winds up behind bars because he signed that is objectionable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's something amusingly hypocritical with wanting boycott, divestment, and sanctions against people who want boycott, divestment, and sanctions.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

There's something amusingly hypocritical with wanting boycott, divestment, and sanctions against people who want boycott, divestment, and sanctions.

Almost as if positions are based on pure tribalism than ethical principles.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Not really, since the anti-BDS movement is not based on an objection to all boycotts and sanctions or on general opposition to those things in all cases.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Where in this thread have Cuomo's problems with corruption probes been mentioned? They hadn't been until you brought them up in that post.

Dead Reckoning claimed that Cuomo could conceivably be in violation of federal anti-boycott laws. Crowsbeak imagined that it could lead to Cuomo's arrest.

Wanting a politician to held accountable for corruption is unobjectionable. But that's not what the discussion was about. It was about the anti-BDS executive order Cuomo signed. Hoping that Cuomo winds up behind bars because he signed that is objectionable.

Maybe other people in the thread know things about Cuomo based on information they already had that you did not.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah no psycho it means we think of it like the Feds thought about taking out Capone. But then a bloodthirsty psycho has problems with that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Insect Court posted:

Not really. It's not even objectionable if you don't know Cuomo's general corruption and heavy-handedness. Just on the merits people can be suspicious of a Governor of a State signing a potentially useless, seemingly overreaching, and suspiciously pandering (literally on Israel appreciation day) executive order. If you read every post without the prior of "everyone in this thread is an antisemite but me and people who agree with me", they all seem like very natural reactions. Look at this:

Crowsbeak posted:

drat I want to see that fucker burn. He may as well be a member of the GOP. I'm just happy he's burned to many bridges with the party base to ever pursue the presidency.

If you read this without knowing about Cuomo, if you weren't looking to throw "antisemite" around like loving toilet paper, you might notice the bridge burning portion, and the GOP reference, to realize that there must be some bigger context for the reaction.

But no, why do that? Why think? Why consider? Why do anything but assume antisemitism, and logically work your way backwards from that? That's work, that's hard, that's genuine discussion, can't have that with you in the thread.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

I haven't said this - the fact that you're stating this shows that you just glossed over what I actually have said numerous times.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Hating Jews because of Israel's actions is anti-Semitic, but

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

This all is kind of proving his point guy. That wasn't what he said at all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.btselem.org/press_releases/20160606_claims_of_additional_execution_in_hebron_incident

quote:

Testimonies: Prior to incident for which Elor Azaria is facing charges, Ramzi al-Qasrawi was also executed

On 24 March 2016, ‘Abd al-Fatah a-Sharif and Ramzi al-Qasrawi were killed by soldiers’ gunfire in the Tel Rumeida neighborhood in Hebron. They were shot after they stabbed a soldier who, according to media reports, sustained light injuries. The incident was widely covered by the media thanks to video footage shot by B’Tselem volunteer ‘Imad Abu Shamsiyeh, in which a soldier can be seen executing the injured a-Sharif, shooting him in the head. The shooter, Elor Azaria, is currently on trial for manslaughter for his actions.

The footage of the incident that B’Tselem released in March began at a point in time in which the second assailant, Ramzi al-Qasrawi was already dead. The military has recently lifted the strict travel restrictions imposed on Tel Rumeida, so for the first time since the incident, B’Tselem field researcher Manal al-Ja’bri was able to get into the neighborhood and collect testimonies from its residents. The testimonies of two of residents, Nur Abu ‘Eishah and Amani Abu ‘Eishah, raise concerns that al-Qasrawi was also executed with a shot to the head, as he lay injured on the ground after having been hit by gunfire elsewhere in his body.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I know nothing about forensics or firearms but from the video it does look like the wound inflicted upon al-Qasrawi is the same as the one inflicted upon al-Sharif, the blood seems to have started flowing profusely from their heads only after both were already incapacitated on the ground as that's where most of the blood is coming from and there's seemingly not much blood else where. So I'd say it definitely looks consistent with the eyewitness claims that both were executed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I know this is close to cheerleading, but I have a real deep appreciation for how hard TIC's gotten blown up this page.

But in other posting

Fantastic, so now it comes down to how are they gonna manage to backpedal not one, but two cold-blooded executions, if they find it damning enough to count al-Qasrawi too.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I oppose boycotts on principle and they're not at all effective in practice. Still, the logic is a complete inversion of BDS, so I don't see the consistency in arguing Sweden or whoever should boycott Israel but this one is improper. It's pretty dumb but it's not an infringement on free speech, nor is it "banning BDS" like some liars are claiming.

Are you really that dumb? You realize that directly contradicts the point you're trying to make? The State of Israel's actions, justly or unjustly, start a causal chain that leads to anti-Semitic beliefs. That has nothing to do at all with equating anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not really. It's not even objectionable if you don't know Cuomo's general corruption and heavy-handedness. Just on the merits people can be suspicious of a Governor of a State signing a potentially useless, seemingly overreaching, and suspiciously pandering (literally on Israel appreciation day) executive order.

Suspicion of what? Of "pandering" to an electoral interest? Isn't that something that virtually every politician does or is suspected of doing regularly?

And even if there were no other reason to object to Cuomo's tenure as governor, the simple fact that he signed an anti-BDS executive order is enough to make it unobjectionable to fantasize about his arrest and removal from office? That doesn't strike you as an extreme reaction? Especially given that it's a measure that is, by your own admission, "potentially useless"? That doesn't make it sound like a particularly dangerous one to me. I'd guess the number of BDS supporting firms with which the state of New York contracts is in the vicinity of zero.

quote:

If you read this without knowing about Cuomo, if you weren't looking to throw "antisemite" around like loving toilet paper, you might notice the bridge burning portion, and the GOP reference, to realize that there must be some bigger context for the reaction.

But no, why do that? Why think? Why consider? Why do anything but assume antisemitism, and logically work your way backwards from that? That's work, that's hard, that's genuine discussion, can't have that with you in the thread.

Allow me to quote the Crowsbeak post to which I was referring, which you perhaps have missed:

Crowsbeak posted:

This post being, once again, in response to the suggestion that Cuomo might somehow have fallen afoul of the federal anti-boycott law.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

The Insect Court posted:

Allow me to quote the Crowsbeak post to which I was referring, which you perhaps have missed:

This post being, once again, in response to the suggestion that Cuomo might somehow have fallen afoul of the federal anti-boycott law.

If you grabbed the wrong Crowsbeak post here, you might want to edit this post real quick to get the Crowsbeak post you actually wanted. Because the way it looks now, it looks like AA calls you out for pretending a post that clearly lays out what it is about Cuomo the poster doesn't like and wants to see him jailed for, such as corruption and basically being a Republican that likes the color blue, is antisemetic. In response to this, you correct AA that instead you were saying that about this other post where Crowsbeak... lays out what it is he wants Cuomo to go to jail for, such as corruption.

Like you don't seem to be disagreeing with AA's point, you're just clarifying which of your swords you'd like to fall on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Everybody in this thread is an antisemite. We've gone through this. Do you have anything further to add?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I bet he has very offensive things to say about Palestinians if he was asked about them.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Insect Court posted:

]

Yeah you are openly lying about me. I wish Absured could ban you for this. You are seriously a pathetic troll. If I wasn't saving up money for Stellaris I might just get you a new red sig saying everyone should put you on ignore because all you do is accuse people of being anti semetic. I want Cuomo in jail as an example to other corrupt poo poo head sociopathic politicians. If there is one thing worse then general extremism its corruption it destroys peoples trust in democratic systems and it in the process wrecks democracy. Corruption is wrecking the already very flawed democracy of Israel with it being lead by one of the most corrupt politicians in its history. Where once even the barest whiff of corruption was pounced on now corruption proceeds with impunity. I hope for the sake of all Israelis they jail Bibi like they jailed Olmert. Now if you are saying being against corruption is antisemetic then I would say the only one for sure antisemetic here is you because that is a very horrible anti semetic stereotype of Jews being corrupt.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 8, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Apparently a six page spread about the Netanyahu - Mimran affair was published in the french Liberation today, the hebrew media hasn't picked up on the reports yet but some people on facebook are saying that the newspaper claims that the french authorities are investigating the possibility that Netanyahu offered some suspected felons associated with Mimran asylum in Israel which ought to be rather damning. It also seems beyond doubt at the moment that Mimran did indeed transfer at least 170,000 euros to Netanyahu's personal account sometimes between 2001 and 2009.

http://www.liberation.fr/planete/2016/06/07/un-francais-dit-avoir-donne-a-netanyahu-un-million-de-francs_1457834

I hope that more information pops up in the hebrew and english media later on today, furthermore I hope that this whole thing explodes in Bibi's smug face.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 8, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh this is glorious -

quote:

New Documents Show Second French Tycoon Funded Netanyahu Family Vacations
Data from prime minister’s bureau reveals that jeweler Meyer Habib seemingly bankrolled several overseas trips in the early 2000s.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.723803

This all seemingly related to the old "Bibitours" fiasco in which allegedly Netanyahu and his family used to receive copious bribes by various wealthy well wishers who funded their luxury vacations.

Some background on Bibitours can be found here - http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Comptroller-blasts-PM-for-Bibi-Tours-Affair-454841

This man is so incredibly corrupt it's gonna be both shocking and oxymoronically completely unsurprising when he walks away from this whole thing completely unscathed.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Netanyahu might be a corrupt gently caress, but at least he's not Herzog.

As an Israeli I can tell you that not one person here, either in the media or in politics (including his own drat party) takes him seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Are you really that dumb? You realize that directly contradicts the point you're trying to make? The State of Israel's actions, justly or unjustly, start a causal chain that leads to anti-Semitic beliefs. That has nothing to do at all with equating anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism.

I just don't like your posts/the way you argue and was looking for pretty much anything to make you look stupid. It's not really complicated.