Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Visions of Illbleed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

re: optimization chat

Deprived is actually optimized for my build because I don't need str or vit beyond 10. If I chose a knight I'd have only 7 luck but I'd have 13 str and 15 vit, which is 8 points I don't need. 8 points saved minus 3 points in luck is 5 saved points so I think I come out ahead. That str and vit is usually useful but I'm just buffing a RawASS and a Raw Bestoc which don't need more than 10 str and don't weigh much.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Eh, I don't really mind sub optimal builds I guess since I haven't really noticed that slowing me down in any of the souls games. I can appreciate that the classes actually mean something though. Initially I was going to be a warrior or assassin, for my int/dex build, but I figured why not just roll out with deprived!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also a naked person wandering out of a grave and clubbing Iudex to death with a stick is the best start.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Obligatum VII posted:

Dunno what the heck they mean by "adjusted the skills". Do they mean the weapon arts?

I suspect that it might mean changing the actual weapon attack properties, i.e. making them faster / slower or possibly even adding some forward motion to make claws non garbage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can Karla teach from sorcery scrolls? I was thinking about how to get the Morion Blade early.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
just ask someone to give their morion blade if you want it early.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Can Karla teach from sorcery scrolls? I was thinking about how to get the Morion Blade early.

No. Karla only accepts miracle & pyromancy tomes. Which is weird given she sells 2 sorceries by default but don't think about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it keeps happening

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm new to doing invasions. Do you just get dropped off at a random part of the map or do you get placed in close proximity to your target?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it feels like there should be guitar shredding and a prolonged high pitched shout at the end of this intro as a transition to the title screen

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vargatron posted:

I'm new to doing invasions. Do you just get dropped off at a random part of the map or do you get placed in close proximity to your target?
There's a bunch of set invasion spots on a given map - if you ever think "strange that there is this corner with nothing in it", chances are, this is where a phantom will pop up. You should spawn in one close to the host, pooossibly "before" them (as in between them and the boss), but considering how twisted the maps are in DS3, I've never been able to nail that down as certainty. Often you invade and immediately get booted out as the host starts the bossfight, but that's mostly because invasions favor people with phantoms, so they traverse the entire area alone, then summon two dudes, making them hot for being invaded, and as you do so, the game can't really put you between the fog door and the host (as he's literally standing there), so the nearest spot is behind them, and you'll never even see them. Just how the system works.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Dunno what the heck they mean by "adjusted the skills". Do they mean the weapon arts?

There's no such thing as a "weapon art." Weapons do, however, have skills.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The only thing I remember about King's Field 4 is there being a bottomless pit immediately in front of the player at the start of the game. Gravity is not your enemy in just Dark Souls.

I played the poo poo outta the two KF games on PS1, but as a kid with limited internet they were incredibly impenetrable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Simply Simon posted:

There's a bunch of set invasion spots on a given map - if you ever think "strange that there is this corner with nothing in it", chances are, this is where a phantom will pop up. You should spawn in one close to the host, pooossibly "before" them (as in between them and the boss), but considering how twisted the maps are in DS3, I've never been able to nail that down as certainty. Often you invade and immediately get booted out as the host starts the bossfight, but that's mostly because invasions favor people with phantoms, so they traverse the entire area alone, then summon two dudes, making them hot for being invaded, and as you do so, the game can't really put you between the fog door and the host (as he's literally standing there), so the nearest spot is behind them, and you'll never even see them. Just how the system works.

Okay, sounds like I just need to beeline it to the fog wall and wait for the host to show up. I may do red soapstone if I want to get serious with PVP, but I was just screwing around with my sorcerer last night and decided to do a couple of invasions for fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vargatron posted:

Okay, sounds like I just need to beeline it to the fog wall and wait for the host to show up. I may do red soapstone if I want to get serious with PVP, but I was just screwing around with my sorcerer last night and decided to do a couple of invasions for fun.
Just do a few, you'll get it eventually. Often there is nothing you can do, hosts that are already at the fog gate, or they hang out at the Bonfire with three buddies and the world is Seeded. I'd say you got a 20% chance of just surprising some dude out there alone and getting to murder him evilly, and that's generous. It's still fun, but don't expect to become the protagonist in your own "awesome invasion compilation" video any time soon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

The only thing I remember about King's Field 4 is there being a bottomless pit immediately in front of the player at the start of the game. Gravity is not your enemy in just Dark Souls.

Not quite, but close. Right as you start the game there's a bit of discolored floor to the right. You step on it, and it collapses, plunging you into the lava. It's pretty great.

I recommend playing KF4 for anyone in this thread. The KF games make excellent moody exploration games, and 4 is probably the best of the lot. It's especially worthy for Dark Souls fans to play since the DS games take of lot of influence from it especially.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Vargatron posted:

If they're at the fog there's nothing you can do anyway and a lot of hosts will straight refuse to even progress with an invader in their world so you'll wait an hour, only for them to run straight past and get through the boss fog anyway. The best bet as a new invader is to backtrack to the last bonfire while checking the enemies around you if any are dead or out of place. That should give you a decent clue as to where the host is. A lot of the time the host will be at the bonfire with a many colored assortment of player bodyguards.
If you invade in the same area a few times you'll quickly get the idea of where hosts are based on your spawn. Sometimes the game will throw you a curveball and spawn you at the entrance to the area only for the host to walk into the bossfog 30 seconds later. Such is life in the zone :darksouls:

Also: You get preferential matching for players who are near you in the game world. If you want to avoid ganksquads it is a good idea to use your orb not at the bonfire or the boss fog but some way into the area. Cathedral of the Deep for example at the cleansing Chapel bonfire is 90% gank squads, but from the floor of the cathedral where the giants are you get a good chunk of solo players or PvE groups.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Irithyll is really loving fun for all sorts of pvp shenanigans @ lvl 40 - 60 something

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
As far as invading people that are actually plugging through a level, my best success with that was at Cathedral of the Deep.

Invasions there seem to be weighted toward where you are standing when you make a connection. If you stand by the bonfire you'll invade people in the graveyard, bonfire, etc. If you stand up at the top of the lift by the first shortcut (immediately prior to the giant) you'll get more hits on people that are inside the cathedral and it's a lot better.

It's still supremely tilted toward multiplayer squads but I've seen fewer white signs at Cathedral of the Deep because it's such a long rear end zone to walk through without an Estus refill so the 3- and 4-man gank squads are a lot less common.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Genocyber posted:

Not quite, but close. Right as you start the game there's a bit of discolored floor to the right. You step on it, and it collapses, plunging you into the lava. It's pretty great.

I recommend playing KF4 for anyone in this thread. The KF games make excellent moody exploration games, and 4 is probably the best of the lot. It's especially worthy for Dark Souls fans to play since the DS games take of lot of influence from it especially.

I've been watching a blind play through of the first one (or rather KF2) and I don't think I could get in to a game that old nowadays which is a shame

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
How could I have saved Greirat¿

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
K so I started on a ghost gimmick build last night - basically Hidden Body + Untrue White Ring shenanigans.

Want to be able to invade Catacombs mostly, since that's my favorite PvP area.

Picturing this as a final build:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/38095

The idea is to play ghost until the time is right then one-shot with CSS.

Improvements? Suggestions?

I realize that means I will effectively be doing a nearly SL1 run until I collect everything. So far, I am halfway through Undead Settlement, and my Int is 26 or so. That's all Ive leveled so far.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

!Klams posted:

Depends on where he died. If it was Lothric Castle - you can't, other than simply not letting him go.

If it was Irithyll, you either have to be current on Siegward's quest, or tell Patches he has gone out pillaging and Patches will go save him.

I would check the wiki to be sure of the exact conditions, tho.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sakurazuka posted:

I've been watching a blind play through of the first one (or rather KF2) and I don't think I could get in to a game that old nowadays which is a shame

The problem is that the game looks to be excruciatingly slow paced.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vargatron posted:

The problem is that the game looks to be excruciatingly slow paced.

There's definitely a niche of gamers that would take a lot of pleasure out of slowly plodding through a dark foggy maze full of bizarre and difficult monsters.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

!Klams posted:

When you send him to Irithyll you either need to have the Onion Knight save him or Patches dressed as the Onion Knight.

So if you gave Siegward his armor back you want to make sure he is in Irithyll when you send Greirat there. Then beat Sulyvhan (or another boss) while Siegward is still there. Don't progress Siegward's questline until you do this. So don't go to Irithyll Dungeon. And he'll save him.

If Patches still has Siegward's armor, then send Greirat to Irithyll and talk to Patches and he'll dress up as the Onion Knight and save him himself.

As for his trip to Lothric, he dies no matter what. But you'll still get to buy new items (special crossbow bolts I think) when you give his ashes to the handmaiden.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Tallgeese posted:

Pretty sure that King's Field thing is wrong.

Like, it completely omits the god who created Guyra and Seath. I can't remember his name, but he created them in order to govern the world, but because they were opposites they fought each other.

This is where the rabbit hole leads if you start claiming the broken capstone in Demon's Souls leads to Lordran, though.

The explanation for Soul Magic was wonky, but I loved the deep dive into King's Field having only played one game for a few hours. I really have no idea how people got deep into lore from those games because what I played looked like a fat blob of nothing. Maybe my imagination was lacking or tuned wrong at the time?

I do like the idea that these are irrevocably forsaken and disconnected lands. You have lots of travelers from other areas but no one new has appeared in ages and no one can remember how we got here. I guess the Dreamlands explanation makes more sense in that regard, though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I started playing King's Field 2 (3), but then I couldn't figure out where to go at some point, then Bloodborne came out and I never got back to it. It's good though, if you can handle the 2 pixel dimension textures and controls and stuff. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Genocyber posted:

Seconding this.
Going to add that anyone who does also plays Shadow Tower: Abyss. Theres a pretty good (apart from item name) translation patch iirc.

Also (click only if you dont care about the game's atmosphere) It has the first appearance of Patches.

Well okay proto-patches

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 7, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd love to watch a run through of King's Field, if anyone has suggestions on good ones. I can only imagine how inaccessible the games were at the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been watching LobosJR's blind play through, it's pretty drat long though. I've been watching it on and off for a couple of weeks and I'm only on part 5

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

When you send him to Irithyll you either need to have the Onion Knight save him or Patches dressed as the Onion Knight.

So if you gave Siegward his armor back you want to make sure he is in Irithyll when you send Greirat there. Then beat Sulyvhan (or another boss) while Siegward is still there. Don't progress Siegward's questline until you do this. So don't go to Irithyll Dungeon. And he'll save him.

If Patches still has Siegward's armor, then send Greirat to Irithyll and talk to Patches and he'll dress up as the Onion Knight and save him himself.

As for his trip to Lothric, he dies no matter what. But you'll still get to buy new items (special crossbow bolts I think) when you give his ashes to the handmaiden.

You've really given me a poo poo sandwich here. A real stinker.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just emulate them. KF2 at least should appeal to pretty much anyone who liked the dungeon crawling aspect of Dark Souls 1. It isn't a hard game once you get past the stage of being a 50 HP wimp with a knife and no pants, it doesn't have gigantic swathes of running around empty fields like KF3, and while slow it's nowhere near as plodding as Ancient City.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
King's Field looks terrible, but you can certainly see the Souls DNA in there...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok I am a bit confused about the order of things here. I am currently at Profaned Capital, and have explored most of the Dungeon, but have not yet killed the boss of Irithyl of Boreal Valley. I have only just now sent Greirat off to scavenge, though he has not actually left the shrine yet. Siegward is still in the well out front of the Cathedral, and Patches is in the Shrine and has Siegward's armor for sale. Given that setup am I now too late to prevent Greirat from getting killed while he is scavenging?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Earwicker posted:

ok I am a bit confused about the order of things here. I am currently at Profaned Capital, and have explored most of the Dungeon, but have not yet killed the boss of Irithyl of Boreal Valley. I have only just now sent Greirat off to scavenge, though he has not actually left the shrine yet. Siegward is still in the well out front of the Cathedral, and Patches is in the Shrine and has Siegward's armor for sale. Given that setup am I now too late to prevent Greirat from getting killed while he is scavenging?

I believe you are alright, what you need to do is tell Patches that Greirat is gone scavenging. Then go fight a boss. Patches (dressed up as the Onion Knight) will save Greirat. Then you can buy Siegward's armor (DON'T DO THIS UNTIL GREIRAT IS SAFE) and go rescue him from the well.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Earwicker posted:

You could probably kill him in Firelink yourself so his ashes are easier to find and he's at least killed by a friend.

Might not upgrade his inventory though. You should get special items for killing him yourself, kinda dumb.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Earwicker posted:

Most likely.

If you want to save Greirat next time, do not go to Irithyll dungeon or Profaned Capital before you beat the Pontiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I've been watching LobosJR's blind play through, it's pretty drat long though. I've been watching it on and off for a couple of weeks and I'm only on part 5

The last 3 parts or so are just him spending a few hours trying to find the content he missed, so you can skip the majority of those.