Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's probably going to the DNC but it's not like there will be any huge upset. Maybe stop arzying over campaign rhetoric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nachos posted:

Reince hasn't tweeted in like 3 days

They're gonna find him face down in his Bailey's and cereal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Enkmar posted:

It's probably going to the DNC but it's not like there will be any huge upset. Maybe stop arzying over campaign rhetoric

On the day of the Florida primary, Rubio vowed to continue regardless of the outcome. Same with Cruz on the Indiana primary day. No campaign says "well if we lose we're done", they say "the candidate will return home to consider options after the votes today".

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Can we make this an anti-Trump anthem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LOL I thought I remembered this guy's face.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/02/what-cnn-analyst-jeffrey-lord-got-very-wrong-in-that-kkk-debate-with-van-jones/

Reagan really surrounded himself with the creme of the scumbag crop.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Staying in until DC votes are in probably wouldn't hurt, a bit pointless yes, but its only seven more days and you could argue there is a bit of symbolism in staying in till the end. In all likelihood though I do actually think he will declare himself out after the votes are finished counted today/tomorrow.

Ah, I thought today was the last of it.

So maybe another week, tops.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Enkmar posted:

The modern convention is about anointing the nominee and is the culmination of a summer of healing the party and gearing up the campaign machine. If Sanders spends all of June and July tilting at windmills he's going to slow this process down. It might not do irreparable harm if he finally relents at the DNC, but he's playing with fire.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Crain posted:

So after 8 years of Obama and now the Orange Plague, it's kinda odd to see them just collapse.
You call Ryan apologizing for Trump and supporting him "collapse"?

Real collapse would be Ryan supporting Clinton.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Bernie has said he's staying on until the convention and it's not like anyone in the party can threaten him because he was never really a democrat to begin with and presumably won't be one at his nearest convenience

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nachos posted:

He just knows no one would read his tweets every if he had.

Just being efficient. Good for him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

citybeatnik posted:

Which one, the Shatner/Pulp or the Cash/Reznor?
Shatner. I think even Trent Reznor has gone on record saying that he likes Cash's version.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm aware of Pulp but Shatner crushed that song

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Enkmar posted:

Pretty much this

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

nachos posted:

It's hard to tweet when you've blacked out after your third bottle of Jack because you're reading about how Trump is busy shooting himself in the foot.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Bernie's gonna drop out once it becomes clear that Clinton has more pledged delegates and more votes than he does? Do y'all really think he's more stupid and stubborn than Ted Cruz?

Every single thing Cruz has done from the dropout onwards has been focused on turning him into the "I told you so" candidate in 2020. When Bernie concedes, his candidacy is over, and it's not coming back in four years.

With that said, Bernie's not dumb, and he knows that his best shot for what he wants to do is to make sure he gets a strong platform for his issues at the convention. But, to get to, "OK, we'll give you plenty of space in the platform and a big prime time spot for your speech, if you agree to place the crown on Hillary's head," he has to hold out and make a credible threat that he won't do what Hillary's wing of the party wants until they give him what he wants. Brinkmanship is ugly, but it works better than giving people what they want and expecting them to reciprocate out of the goodness of their hearts (see also: Obama's entire first term).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/740201279503372292

:yum:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Shatner. I think even Trent Reznor has gone on record saying that he likes Cash's version.

More than just likes it, Reznor said it wasn't his song anymore after hearing Cash's version.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zoux posted:

They ain't dead yet.

Not dead no. But their ability to hold a narrative seems to be gone. Between the Freedom Caucus, Business wing, Fox News, Brietbart/Alt-right news, and now the Trump camp it seems like the collective identity of what being "republican" means is gone. They're still going to be winning house/senate for a few more cycles, but that's just from momentum and gerrymandering.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I'm aware of Pulp but Shatner crushed that song

Any time Shatner covers a song his version becomes the best. See Rocket Man and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds for further info.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain posted:

Not dead no. But their ability to hold a narrative seems to be gone. Between the Freedom Caucus, Business wing, Fox News, Brietbart/Alt-right news, and now the Trump camp it seems like the collective identity of what being "republican" means is gone. They're still going to be winning house/senate for a few more cycles, but that's just from momentum and gerrymandering.

I've read the GOP's obituary many times before.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't get me wrong, This Is Hardcore is a fav song of mine and karaoke staple

smg77 posted:

Any time Shatner covers a song his version becomes the best. See Rocket Man and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds for further info.

I feel like Shatner's totally bugfuck crazy Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds cover is truer to the source material than any other has been

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

smg77 posted:

Yeah it's this.

Also, his duet with Rollins was another highlight of that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LEdL3vU2c

e: Also his cover of Major Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-bTza_7-I

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 7, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

so is the idea to so overuse the term that it dilutes and ceases to matter?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cheesus posted:

You call Ryan apologizing for Trump and supporting him "collapse"?

Real collapse would be Ryan supporting Clinton.

zoux posted:

I've read the GOP's obituary many times before.

I'm talking more about their ability to hold a coherent narrative, than the actual party being dissolved.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Luminous Obscurity posted:

What are the chances of the GOP losing control of the House if the Trumpenreich continues as is until November? It seems like he's fracturing the Right far harder than most people were expecting him to.

Furthermore, what are the chances the Dems would seize the opportunity to actually make laws if they actually got control of it?

I think the big issue with Dems retaking the House is that a lot of the initial candidate recruitment stuff happened before Trump threw the GOP off the cliff. Like there are a number of seats where it's plausible that had we been able to sell "you get to run against a ticket-topper who is openly racist while your House opponent tries to divorce from him without explicitly denouncing their party's Presidential nominee" last summer, we'd have stronger recruits. That's less of an issue in the "Battleground" seats, but it's an issue in the "Wave target" seats - the seats that would only be competitive if they had a strong candidate AND a Democratic wave.

Plus it's hard to get folks to commit to giving up a state legislative seat to run for Congress when they know they're gonna get WRECKED in 2018 anyhow.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Ted Cruz is the Archetypical conservative and he's a nightmare. Who would want to be like that? They're out there, but they don't have the numbers to sustain a national political party anymore.

Trump has opened up the door for catastrophic GOP losses, though. If he keeps up through the summer what he's been doing for the last few weeks there is going to be an electoral map that campaign strategists will jack off to for the next hundred years

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cbellantoni/status/739994014984736768

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I liked bush hid the facts better.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
pfa "evidence-of-vast-media-conspiracy.txt" and "vince-foster-murder-evidence.png"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

That which is dead cannot die. :mad:

But rises again harder and stronger :ohdear:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLllFMF-OkQ

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/740201279503372292
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/740205951563800576

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWbIoIR04c

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The English are far better at spotting class divisions than Americans are, but Americans are fundamentally an angrier people

Yeah, I mean only an Englishman could have written it, but it takes an American to make it great (continent counts, okay?)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

They ain't dead yet.

They're ability to stay on a message perfectly created in a backroom has. Karl Rove's spell has been broken and the Republicans have returned to being a herd of cats

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
WELP my friend was visiting North Carolina to help pack up her wife's dad's house, and she got stopped in the bathroom by a cleaning lady for not looking enough like a woman. She's tall and has short hair and wears pants and no makeup, but she is most certainly a cis woman.

The cleaning lady apparently barely spoke English and was just doing her job and following the lovely law, so my friend isn't angry with her per se, but she's loving furious at the fact that it happened. Especially because this was in Charlotte, the city that passed the nondiscrimination ordinance that prompted the legislature to pass HB2 in the first place. She's filed a complaint.

I'm so loving angry and ashamed. I love North Carolina and seeing what those assholes in Raleigh have turned it into makes my blood boil. God I hope the voters can kick McCrory out on his carpetbagging rear end.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So if I get stopped because someone thinks I shouldn't be going into the men's restroom, am I just supposed to flop my dick out right there?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

So if I get stopped because someone thinks I shouldn't be going into the men's restroom, am I just supposed to flop my dick out right there?

She just read the lady the riot act and refused to leave, and the lady didn't make her or anything. But generally speaking, I have no idea what people are really supposed to do in that situation. Frankly, if the legislature gave any thought to the matter at all, it was probably along the lines of 'serves those people right for not dressing in a sufficiently feminine/masculine manner.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

No Butt Stuff posted:

As a skirt and dress wearing cis male, this is my go to.

• Locked thread