Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Reason posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent food blogs? I've got 5 or 6 saved, but they don't update often enough to keep me entertained cooking every night.

Can you share your six?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I love the pre-packed pork tenderloins from the grocery store.

Combine them with vegetables and potato/rice and you've got a delicious meal in 25 minutes.

Anyone have any other ways to cook them? I've done a roulade with the un-seasoned ones, but normally I just sear and throw in the oven then slice it up.

I'm actually a big fan of a grilled one with chile-lime glaze here. Alton Brown's is actually a very good example. Takes a little longer than 25 minutes but I still find it fast enough for a weeknight meal. I prep it with grilled veggies and some mexican-style black beans (fry cumin seeds in some butter, add garlic/onions, chili powder, then add some of your prepared marinade from the other recipe since it has lime and chili that you'd normally add to the black beans anyway. Then you can top with cilantro as well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chemmy posted:

Can you share your six?

Here are the ones where I get the majority of the stuff I cook. I'm a stay at home dad so I cook pretty much every night and I need variety to keep things interesting. I'd be particularly interested in blogs that focus on food outside of the US.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I have a Tri-tip roast that I want to cook at 450 with some vegetables underneath, it's about 1 1/2lb and I think I should cook it about 15-20 minutes? Should I cook the vegetables longer or would that be fine? I don't have much experience roasting and google is giving me varying times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Hit the ? next to this post. I've posted a terrific tenderloin steak with cream sauce recipe at least once in here.

Oh yeah, that one owns bones

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11897-twice-cooked-pork-tenderloin

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Reason posted:

Here are the ones where I get the majority of the stuff I cook. I'm a stay at home dad so I cook pretty much every night and I need variety to keep things interesting. I'd be particularly interested in blogs that focus on food outside of the US.

It hasn't been updated in a while and not very often before then but you might get some mileage out of http://www.maangchi.com/ especially if you like Korean. There are lots of good recipes in the archives.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hogmartin posted:

It hasn't been updated in a while and not very often before then but you might get some mileage out of http://www.maangchi.com/ especially if you like Korean. There are lots of good recipes in the archives.

Her youtube channel is where all the content goes. She's putting out new stuff there all the time. Her videos are excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC8gFadPgK2r1ndqLI04Xvvw

edit: I dunno why the links are breaking.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 7, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ranter posted:

Her youtube channel is where all the content goes. She's putting out new stuff there all the time. Her videos are excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Maangchi

Ah, nice, thanks.

Also Reason, check out Cooking With Dog if you like Asian recipes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTf5EgVY5uU

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 7, 2016

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Metapod posted:

I finally was able to get ahold of my grandmothers world famous lasagna recipe :woop:

12 lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/2 onion (diced)
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
1/2 teaspoon paprika
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1 (8-ounce package) six cheese blend (shredded)
9 slices American cheese
1 (16-ounce jar) tomato sauce (store-bought)
fresh parsley (to garnish)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook noodles for half of the time of package instructions.
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic and onion, stir until onions are translucent. Add meat, cook until brown. Add Italian seasonings and paprika and 1 cup of sauce to the meat. Stir to combine.
Drain par-cooked pasta. In a lasagna pan, layer noodles on bottom of pan. Add 1/3 meat mixture, 1/3 of all cheeses and 1/3 of sauce. Continue steps until three layers are made ending with cheese.
Place uncovered in oven for 30 to 40 minutes until cheese melts fully.
Garnish with fresh parsley.

It's to die for

Woah, slow down there cowboy. A whole clove of garlic and 1/2 tsp of paprika for only two pounds of meat? Are you trying to kill us all with flavour overload?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

starter dude who's flushing 4oz a day, that's a lot. I maintain mine at 80g (4ish? tbs of starter) 100% hydration replacing half every day or two if I"m negligent.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I bought a small styrofoam tray of green thai chilies for a recipe but only used three. What can / should I do with the rest?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Scientastic posted:

Woah, slow down there cowboy. A whole clove of garlic and 1/2 tsp of paprika for only two pounds of meat? Are you trying to kill us all with flavour overload?

The American cheese provides all of the flavor you need.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

I bought a small styrofoam tray of green thai chilies for a recipe but only used three. What can / should I do with the rest?

Hot sauce! Remove stems, blanch lightly (30-40 seconds in boiling water), and then blend/process with some vinegar and salt.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chilli oil! Split the chillies lengthwise, dry in a low oven with the door open for a number of hours, throw into oil.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Chuck em in a bottle of vodka for a few weeks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hot sauce! Remove stems, blanch lightly (30-40 seconds in boiling water), and then blend/process with some vinegar and salt.
Thai birds make a good sambal, and they also dry really well. I grow them in the garden and pretty much always have a bunch pickled and dried to just toss into poo poo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Enourmo posted:

Chuck em in a bottle of vodka for a few weeks.

I think what you meant was:

Enourmo posted:

Chilli vodka! Chuck em in a bottle of vodka for a few week.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Scientastic posted:

I think what you meant was:

I have erred gravely, thank you for fixing my oversight.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Thai birds make a good sambal, and they also dry really well. I grow them in the garden and pretty much always have a bunch pickled and dried to just toss into poo poo.

Any kind of pepper pickles well!

After reviewing the suggestions, I think chili oil is the easiest, most flexible solution.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Any kind of pepper pickles well!

After reviewing the suggestions, I think chili oil is the easiest, most flexible solution.
All peppers pickle pretty well, but not all of them dry well.

In terms of raw flexibility, just pickling 'em in straight vinegar is probably the best, simply because you can sub in a pickled pepper in almost any dish you'd want a fresh pepper for, and in most of them the added note of vinegar isn't going to be a problem. Same with poo poo like pepper jams/jellies, candied peppers, and so on (that is, you can make 'em with pickled peppers instead of fresh if you have to).

But I mean guy was asking for like half a grocery store tray of the things. I'd just loving throw them in the next wok full of stir-fried [whatever] I made and `problem' solved.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Peppers pickle pretty precipitously: proper premeditated precautions prevent precocious prunification, pursuant to presupposed professional pickling prowess.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Scientastic posted:

Peppers pickle pretty precipitously: proper premeditated precautions prevent precocious prunification, pursuant to presupposed professional pickling prowess.

Pork...pie?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Peter Piper posted:

Perfect.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

hogmartin posted:

My boss claims an onion allergy and also an allergy to pork :confused: is this even possible?

Pork allergy is definitely a thing.. I'm not sure to what degree (discomfort or DEATHHHH), but one of my good friends who usually mocks bullshit (and bullshit allergies included) can't eat pork without getting sick.. which is funny because she is biologically a good Jew.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
smitten kitchen is one of my go-to all around solid food blogs.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Turkeybone posted:

smitten kitchen is one of my go-to all around solid food blogs.

do you have any solid "go to" dinner recipes from that site?

(I'm asking, because I recognise the fact that her recipes are good, but there's just too much sweet stuff, fun stuff and side dishes to go through when you're late to the party! (and yeah, I shouldn't be complaning that there's a ginormous amount of recipes on that site, I know).....anyway, any favorites for dinner??

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Could someone explain Omaha Steaks' business model? I don't understand pretty much anything about it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mail order service for frozen meat and other crap. What don't you understand?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My dad got a package of steaks from them for a Christmas present from his work, so that's another part of their business model. Somehow they shipped to Canada. Cool box, basic steaks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mail order service for frozen meat and other crap. What don't you understand?

I don't know where to begin.

Why would there be a company dedicated exclusively to direct sales of mail-order steak? They'd have to Veblen the poo poo out of it-the variable infra costs for a meat-focused mail-order company have to be ginormous.

How would they maintain volume and stock versus demand? No one would buy from them more than once, right? But, then, who on earth buys into a mail-order Steak of the Month Club? Do they chuck all their unsold product, or resell it to other companies through a different storefront?

Why are they sending me flier ads in the mail? Why am I getting cold called in the early morning by Omaha Steaks salespeople? How does that whole sales model exist in this day and age? Is it a pyramid scheme? It sounds like a Donald Trump company. Seriously, I think Trump actually sold mail order steaks for a while. Is this a Trump company? They have a Private Meat Reserve. What does that mean? It's not aged meat, so...do they store it in whiskey casks?

All of their steaks look really mediocre in their ads, and they're all seasoned to hell. Who is their target demographic? Bad steak addicts? white elephant parties?

How are they

quote:

The Official Sponsor of Dads.™
???? They say that

quote:

SUPPORT for dads is critical to our mission.
Was my father subsidized by an Omaha Steaks Paternal Trust donation of Private Reserve 2 oz. sliders?

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 8, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You seem to understand it fine

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone explain Omaha Steaks' business model? I don't understand pretty much anything about it.

ordering poo poo on TV commercials appeals to a lotta loving stupid people

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

In this economy people give their money to obnoxious idiots who make banal YouTube videos of them playing xbox.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I thought that the business model was selling individual restaurant portions of meat to the general public. When they go door to door, I seem to remember the pitch being: "All meat is shipped frozen, ours just doesn't get thawed until you are ready to cook it."

I got a gift certificate one year for Christmas. The convenience level was pretty high (although this is less valuable to people like us who know how to use a knife), but the quality was very middle of the road. It was... OK.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

I thought that the business model was selling individual restaurant portions of meat to the general public. When they go door to door, I seem to remember the pitch being: "All meat is shipped frozen, ours just doesn't get thawed until you are ready to cook it."

I got a gift certificate one year for Christmas. The convenience level was pretty high (although this is less valuable to people like us who know how to use a knife), but the quality was very middle of the road. It was... OK.

I wonder what the cost difference is if you just go to a restaurant supply distributor and get a case of frozen steaks. The ones in this area (Gordon Food Service) don't require a membership or anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If they just sold individual portions, I could understand them existing, although not doing as well as they seem to. But most of their advertising is for quantities of protein that are too large for one person and too small for industrial distribution or for events.

They don't have a single pic of any protein that's not got some kind of spice/herb seasoning on it. I think they might be bankrolled by House Atreides.

edit:

quote:

The corporate offices are now at 10909 John Galt Boulevard.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 8, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They're individually portioned. You buy a load and put them in the freezer until you need them.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They don't come seasoned. They come frozen. You leave them in your freezer, so no it's not too much for 1 person...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

The corporate offices are now at 10909 John Galt Boulevard.

Who is John Galt? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
On meat-talk. Is there a way suppliers can "bloat" meat with water or something? A couple of times I've bought good-looking meat from my local supermarket and when grilling there's way too much liquid going everywhere. Even the meat turns out having a weird texture, maybe even "spongey"?