Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Widowmaker is really good but the level of salt itt is pretty disproportionate. Just add a little more charge delay between shots and she'd be fine.

McCree is a way bigger issue, both competitively and casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Your Computer posted:

Having "Lady" in the username probably doesn't help, considering the internet :(

I speak from experience.

Yeah this is pretty much the thing.

Also being a lady but I sound kinda mannish so I avoid most of the voice harassment.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 7, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lady Naga posted:

i was hoping it wasnt.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's kind of annoying to see a kill cam of a 'good' widowmaker who just does charged bodyshot-uncharged shot and that kills you, even more so if she was mercy boosted

i know the counterplay is to not get into her field of view but outright dying to two consecutive bodyshots from long range is really rough, even if it is a matter of gitting gud

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Change that high noon dude to have the flashbang from counter-strike so that you can defend yourself.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Widowmaker is generally a worthwhile slot eaten by someone that wants to snipe and then contributes 0 to the game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lady Naga posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

The other thing that we did, after that video, is we actually added what is called a 'high bandwidth option' to our custom games, that allows players to play at a 60Hz update rate. We wanted to explore what the game would be like at 60Hz, so that way, we could explore if it's possible for us to try other versions of the game with this update rate. What we've been trying to do is encourage players to play with it. It's kind of ironic that they're demanding it, it's in the game and playable, and right now we're seeing about 0.08 per cent of all matches that take place in Overwatch are actually using the feature.

I've heard a lot of players say "god dammit, Blizzard, just add it to quick play". It would be wildly irresponsible for us to add that to something like quick play or competitive without getting more testing on the feature. This is something that you care about and you want to see more of: well, please use more of the feature that's in the game. Give us feedback, so we can iron out all of the kinks with it and if things are looking good, we can absolutely add it to other parts of the game.
Right now, for example, what we've seen is that it wouldn't work for about 20 per cent of our users. That's a problem we can solve if we get more testing on it, but we couldn't just put it live. As you know, we announced that number of seven million players last week. The last thing we want to do is take 20 per cent of those people and tell them you can't play Overwatch anymore because people were angry on the forums and we flipped the switch and added this thing.

this is one of the few insanely dumb things I've read from Jeff which is kind of disappointing. yeah nobody is trying the thing that requires you to find 12 people and get them to play the mode that has no exp when the content's new and everybody is gotta catch em all fever? here I'll do your job for you: this week's tavern brawl is "High Bandwidth Overwatc! Try out otherwise normal Overwatch with 60 tick rate servers with matchmaking and let us know what you think at the official forums!"

wow now you have plenty of people who can try it and give feedback and give you a ton of ways to test and find out why 20% of the game's population is on dial-up and cant play with 60 tick rate. I'm pretty sure nobody actually plays the tavern brawls anyways especially now that it's not on arcade, since most of the gimmicks suck and the base game is so good, despite several people who are going to quote this and let me know that they did in fact play a game of super shimada bros

to quote a friend

quote:

it feels like the tick rate issues wont be fixed
not until someone shames them really hard in some esports tournament
All they did is make a video explaining the lag issues and added higher tick rate into custom games
but they seem to not want to put any effort into improving it

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

anime was right posted:

how do you get all of these angry teenagers? was i rolled into the washed up grandpa queue?

Picking torb while attacking will do it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just got put into a game, the team lost before the character selector even loaded, I got 0 xp for it, and then so many people left the game that it closed and I was put back in the queue for another. Thanks a bunch.

The next game I was shot in midair by a Pharah who lacked the ability to miss, having direct hit me with every rocket in the clip, so quit that one, back into the queue. I'm still sincerely hoping they're collecting stat on cheats quietly for a while, before dropping the hammer all at once.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 7, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

how do you get all of these angry teenagers? was i rolled into the washed up grandpa queue?

typing four letters usually produces results

hell, someone start the overwatch.txt thread

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Your Computer posted:

Having "Lady" in the username probably doesn't help, considering the internet :(

I speak from experience.

Lady Naga posted:

Also being a lady but I sound kinda mannish so I avoid most of the voice harassment.
That's super lovely and I'm so sad it's still a thing. :(

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
i want to know where kaplan got that 0.08% number because I haven't heard of anyone actually getting 60 tick to work since release

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

*tick rate*

Just got s'more tick rate shoved down my throat by a rip tire that exploded, to me, 3 Tracer blinks away from where I was but the kill vid showed me dying before I'd even hit the first blink.

Your Computer posted:

I speak from experience.

Try having "Fluffy" as a username. The pubs tend to have fun with that when they get salty.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Torbjorn has been an incredibly consistent pubstomper for me. I don't know what it is about the Torbjorns I face, but they are largely useless, while I've maintained a 70+% win rate with him over 200 games spanning from beta to now. I drop him immediately when up against a premade group, but against a random collection of players he contributes enormously on defense. Your right click shreds tanks, and Tracers who get too close, and with good aim you can .

I'm finding Widowmaker problematic because your team needs to be smashing the enemy, have a better Widowmaker, or you lose. I'd like to see her body shot damage greatly reduced so she can still dominate with godlike aim, but doesn't get rewarded for peppering body shots into squishy characters. McCree needs to get his flashbang CD and/or the spread of FAN greatly increased. He is approaching Bastion levels of point and click simplicity.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

quote:

You haven't seen a lot of shooters that move as fast as Overwatch, with abilities like Tracer's blink or Genji's dash. There's also not a lot of games using a killcam like Overwatch does, so it all sort of makes the problem more evident than I think it would be in other shooters. We're addressing it in a number of ways.

I've seen a shooter that moves faster than overwatch... for about 8 years

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TyrantWD posted:

Torbjorn has been an incredibly consistent pubstomper for me. I don't know what it is about the Torbjorns I face, but they are largely useless, while I've maintained a 70+% win rate with him over 200 games spanning from beta to now.

People don't use his mini-Hanzo arrows. Against bad pub teams on defense, he can do some work.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I started messing around with Torbjorn on KotH and he seems pretty nice for Nepal-Sanctum and Ilios-ruins on the basis of how the turret buys time off the point. He is probably ok on Ilios-Lighthouse but I'd be hesitant to run him on the basis of how good that map is for pharah.

Not a fan of Torbjorn on the less open Koth points though. He seems pretty mediocre on Nepal-Village, Ilios-Lighthouse, or any Lijiang map. Although covering the non-bridge side entrance on Lijiang Garden might be ok I guess.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dren posted:

I've seen a shooter that moves faster than overwatch... for about 8 years

what is he even talking about there? other games don't use kill cams????

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Dias posted:

People don't use his mini-Hanzo arrows. Against bad pub teams on defense, he can do some work.

Yeah, the turret is basically a secondary part of his kit. The buff they gave his gun in the last closed beta patch made it quite powerful and if your aim is good, you are an incredibly good duelist against most people other than Reaper/McCree. If you are going to sit and nurse your turret Engineer style, you are useless, but if you are aggressive you can do a ton of damage and generate quite a few shield packs.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kerrrrrrr posted:

blizzard also invented the translocator

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Seagull just got 4 gold medals with Lucio, haha.

TyrantWD posted:

I'm finding Widowmaker problematic because your team needs to be smashing the enemy, have a better Widowmaker, or you lose. I'd like to see her body shot damage greatly reduced so she can still dominate with godlike aim, but doesn't get rewarded for peppering body shots into squishy characters. McCree needs to get his flashbang CD and/or the spread of FAN greatly increased. He is approaching Bastion levels of point and click simplicity.

I like to troll enemy Widowmakers with Mei by just throwing walls up in their face. It's been pretty effective because it forces them to relocate which can buy you enough time for your team to push, but maybe I'm just playing against terrible Widowmakers.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Kerrrrrrr posted:

he was reading "plausible sounding list of excuses for 60-tick not being implemented.docx"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NTRabbit posted:

The next game I was shot in midair by a Pharah who lacked the ability to miss, having direct hit me with every rocket in the clip, so quit that one, back into the queue. I'm still sincerely hoping they're collecting stat on cheats quietly for a while, before dropping the hammer all at once.

Cheating with a slow-moving projectile? I mean, it's not easy to land midair shots with Pharah, but you can do it with some practice, especially if your opponent is moving in a predictable manner.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TyrantWD posted:

Yeah, the turret is basically a secondary part of his kit. The buff they gave his gun in the last closed beta patch made it quite powerful and if your aim is good, you are an incredibly good duelist against most people other than Reaper/McCree. If you are going to sit and nurse your turret Engineer style, you are useless, but if you are aggressive you can do a ton of damage and generate quite a few shield packs.

I haven't played him a lot, but what I do is place a turret at an obnoxious location then go plink down whoever tries to be sneaky and flank it. People underestimate how much damage he puts out, his M1 is 70 damage and his M2 can hit for 150, and then there's his turret cutting down your escape route/giving you an escape route if things go south.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The gently caress? Overwatch is definitely slower than most of the FPS games I've played in my lifetime. That's why my 30+ year old rear end likes it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Papercut posted:

Seagull just got 4 gold medals with Lucio, haha.

And he spent barely any of the match wallriding, confirming how relevant I thought it was most of the time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The more I think on Jeff Kaplan's quote the more I realize that this is gonna be a loving meme for a year+ like Hearthstone deck slots. There's a ton of dev quotes that just sounded really, really loving stupid that were all memes because there's no good justification for it, so whenever devs commented on it they made poo poo up that sounded outrageously dumb. That Jeff Kaplan comment on nobody testing it and "it's already in the game!" and "well 20% of players can't play on high tick rate" just reeks of that same bull.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Dias posted:

I haven't played him a lot, but what I do is place a turret at an obnoxious location then go plink down whoever tries to be sneaky and flank it. People underestimate how much damage he puts out, his M1 is 70 damage and his M2 can hit for 150, and then there's his turret cutting down your escape route/giving you an escape route if things go south.

People really mess up the turret placement and go for maximum field of view rather than have it cover a flanking route or tuck it somewhere that can only be attack head on. The only games I lose on defense with Torbjorn tend to be those where we get thoroughly demolished and no other pick would have made much difference (Hanamura B point getting captured almost instantly after A etc.).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Has the weekly challenge mode updated from Shimada Bros yet?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Always puke out armor packs for your teammates. Not only is it cool, but also good.

Also sticking a turret near a health pack is a good idea since it can get you some cheap kills and kinda restrict that health pack to Your Team Only©

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kashuno posted:

reflect that flashbang and gently caress him up.

Smart McCrees don't throw the flashbang at Genji, they throw it at the floor. Genji can't reflect anything that doesn't enter his reflect hitbox.

Then again smart McCrees use M1 because that's the least likely of his toolkit to be nerfed and hits like a mack truck anyway.

FTH is a crutch and as soon as they kick it away the better.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The idea that they were gonna try and use Hearthstone's ladder system for Overwatch is completely baffling to me, and even now I don't understand the division names they came up with rather than simple Bronze/Silver/Gold/Master/Challenger or whatever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

FTH is a crutch and as soon as they kick it away the better.

My top 3 wishlist for this game (in no particular order):

- Remove Widowmaker completely, she has no redeeming qualities.
- Remove FTH, McCree would be much cooler without it.
- Remove the pause between "Lijiang" and "Tower" in the announcer voice clip. I will not back down on this.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

bagrada posted:

Has the weekly challenge mode updated from Shimada Bros yet?

It shouldn't update until 5 PM EST (2 PM PST) and that's the schedule from now on.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Your Computer posted:

My top 3 wishlist for this game (in no particular order):

Every time I get POTG I get a free pizza coupon.
Scoreboard
Dupes give you the same amount of credits you need to buy it outright, not 1/5th of the amount.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

And he spent barely any of the match wallriding, confirming how relevant I thought it was most of the time.

Yeah, I pretty much never wallride except to survive getting bounced off the map. It's a fun idea but the fact that Lucio should pretty much never be far from the bulk of his team, and the fact that the clever wallrides pretty much always take you away from your team, makes it a kinda pointless.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Your Computer posted:

My top 4 wishlist for this game (in no particular order):

- Remove Widowmaker completely, she has no redeeming qualities.
- Remove FTH, McCree would be much cooler without it.
- Remove the pause between "Lijiang" and "Tower" in the announcer voice clip. I will not back down on this.
- Official Mt Dew D.Va recolor.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Will there be an alternate Code Red D.Va skin?

What about the Dorito line of skins?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Will there be an alternate Code Red D.Va skin?

What about the Dorito line of skins?

Combine Nacho Cheese Doritos with regular green Mt Dew in a sponsor type skin.

Combine Code Red with those weird 3d doritos for the second sponsor skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Blizzard should really do what it takes to make this happen.