Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FMguru posted:

They're vile shitpedllers, but increasingly few people are buying what they're selling. And that's great :unsmith:

Cable news is cyclical, and it will shock you how quickly people float to FNC once they soften their blatant cheerleading. CNN is chasing Fox right now, but Fox will most likely start pulling back their extremism by about 15%.

They're not going to have to pull back as much as you would think they would have to in order to regain viewership. People are used to the right wing dominating media.

Mr Interweb posted:

But isn't that due to the fact that a good chunk of right-wingers, specifically the more extreme ones, think Fox News is too liberal, and bolted to places like Bretibart?

I doubt it. Mainly what's happening is the viewers are literally dying. Their median viewer age keeps going up.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Even Fox gets their talking points from Drudge. It's O'Reilly's staff's favorite go-to source for content for his show.

Fox pulls most often from Drudge, and then also literal e-mails with talking points or press releases from the RNC. There's a few funny clips on YouTube of Fox morning hosts accidentally letting slip that the thing they're reading as breaking news is literally just a press release from the RNC.

RWM is a delicate rainforest-like ecosystem. At the very bottom of it you've got places like Alex Jones, Prison Planet, and Newsmax. Then those stories, mixed in with mainstream news stories, trickle up to Drudge, Breitbart, and The Daily Caller. Various hosts pull from a different ratio of these when putting together their shows.

Rush sticks very close to Drudge, but tends not to care about the RNC. Fox mainly pulls from the RNC, and then back fills news from Drudge. Some hosts, like Napolitano, pull from the deeper more nutty strata, but most don't. You can pretty easily tell what RWM is going to do based on audience size.

The larger the audience the further up the food chain they pull. So your regional AM hosts tend to be pretty insane while stuff like Fox and Friends tries to maintain an almost kayfabe-esque veneer of legitimacy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Drudge doesn't drive content, it's a news aggregator.
Except Drudge paraphrases the headline and the content of each story to make it sound like continuous LIEberal hatred of are cuntry. You have to click the link to the actual article to learn that the headline is not so sensational, and the content doesn't support Drudge's representation of the facts presented in the articles.

Apparently this is a feature.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Wow, Erick Erickson's a dick and all, but he actually said that Trump's comments about that Mexican-American judge were "racist". He didn't mince words. I'm legit impressed.

He's been anti trump from the get, tho, so really anything he says will be anti trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

Except Drudge paraphrases the headline and the content of each story to make it sound like continuous LIEberal hatred of are cuntry. You have to click the link to the actual article to learn that the headline is not so sensational, and the content doesn't support Drudge's representation of the facts presented in the articles.

Apparently this is a feature.

That happens less often than you'd think, but yes, he does do that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chilichimp posted:

No twist, he just posts links to news articles. Sometimes he uses condescending language in the link text.

Really it's just links to poo poo he thinks is cool, good, funny, bad, or "liberal bullshit." You get a narrative if you only read his links, because he steers you to poo poo, but it's not like he doesn't link to "liberal media" sites and articles.

I've never been able to figure out how much of Drudge's narrative is intentional and how much is "gently caress yeah I get money, fame, and power by just reposting all the poo poo I like to read".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've never been able to figure out how much of Drudge's narrative is intentional and how much is "gently caress yeah I get money, fame, and power by just reposting all the poo poo I like to read".

At this point, I'm going with the latter, because he's also not chasing fame by making constant appearances. He's just a somewhat right dude that likes technology and reading the news... And writing zinger paraphrased article titles?

He's pretty anti police militarization, pro space poo poo and science in general... And is still inexplicably anti global warming... It is s mystery.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

beatlegs posted:

You know, I'm seeing a lot of Republicans take a stand on this. The very same Republicans who created the conditions that made a Trump candidacy possible. So gently caress them. If Paul Ryan were the candidate they'd be sounding the same racist dogwhistles they always do.

The reason I don't take their hand-wringing seriously is how they try to thread the needle. "Trump routinely says incredibly racist things that are antithetical to our system of government, and I fully intend to vote for him in November." It's possible to agree with part of what a candidate says are disagree with other parts, but racism is the cornerstone of Trump's campaign, and there's no way to support him without also supporting his racist politics.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
This has probably been posted but at point or another here (man this thread is old) but I came across some Mark Levin Master Shake rants and am willing to bet anything that he has used this exact one irl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIb4ORefBaE&t=165s

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The other problem Fox News and the rest of wingnut media has is just like the NRA, they make more money when there's a D in the White House.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The SituAsian posted:

This has probably been posted but at point or another here (man this thread is old) but I came across some Mark Levin Master Shake rants and am willing to bet anything that he has used this exact one irl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIb4ORefBaE&t=165s

Not only has it been posted here but- brace yourself : this thread is the source

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Chilichimp posted:

Drudge doesn't drive content, it's a news aggregator.

Breitbart, then?

(I don't visit these sites; I only know them from the D&D threads)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jurgan posted:

The reason I don't take their hand-wringing seriously is how they try to thread the needle. "Drumpf routinely says incredibly racist things that are antithetical to our system of government, and I fully intend to vote for him in November." It's possible to agree with part of what a candidate says are disagree with other parts, but racism is the cornerstone of Drumpf's campaign, and there's no way to support him without also supporting his racist politics.

They're all partisan cowards. It would be hilarious to watch if it wasn't so sad and predictable. All of these right wing firebrands we were told were "brave", "true conservatives", and "have backbone!" all folded like a cheap suit.

I mean if Hillary is anathema for reasons and Trump is dangerous for the country.. there's a third party right there with ballot access in all 50 states. There's even a former Republican at the top of the ticket! If they really believed in the things they say they believe in then they'd be endorsing Gary Johnson.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mister Macys posted:

Breitbart, then?

Given what we all know of right wing media sites and the Internet in general, that's probably for the best.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

Breitbart, then?

I'm not certain Buzzfeed is the liberal version of any drat thing, but if there's a conservative version of it, it's probably like... Infowars.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/06/05/week-paul-krugman-slams-trumps-incoherent-economic-policies/210727

It was kinda hard to tell between the crosstalk, but Grover said Dubya, unlike Reagan, didn't pursue supply-side policies. His logic seems to be that Bush increased spending....as opposed to Reagan, who cut spending so much that the national debt tripled under his watch. Shame Krugman didn't call him out on that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not certain Buzzfeed is the liberal version of any drat thing, but if there's a conservative version of it, it's probably like... Infowars.

A car in my apartment complex has bumper stickers for Infowars and Prisonplanet.com I'd never heard of the latter, but the first headline is "Global Elite Begin Barricading Site of Bilderberg 2016." Awesome. I was hoping it was some sort of Scientology thing.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Jurgan posted:

A car in my apartment complex has bumper stickers for Infowars and Prisonplanet.com I'd never heard of the latter, but the first headline is "Global Elite Begin Barricading Site of Bilderberg 2016." Awesome. I was hoping it was some sort of Scientology thing.

They're both Alex Jones garbage factories - one is his website and the other is his radio show, IIRC.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

You'd think Zika itself would be one of the worst enemies of the right as its basically abortion for everyone at the bite of a mosquito. Instead is the weapon of the enemy because people will infect themselves with a horrible STD virus, be quarantined and possibly even be kicked out of the country by being infected by the world's newest plague just to get welfare.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

You'd think Zika itself would be one of the worst enemies of the right as its basically abortion for everyone at the bite of a mosquito. Instead is the weapon of the enemy because people will infect themselves with a horrible STD virus, be quarantined and possibly even be kicked out of the country by being infected by the world's newest plague just to get welfare.

If it catches on in a big way here, it'll pretty much hamstring the pro-life movement. They can either be overtly in favor of family planning (up to and including abortions) or stick to their guns and force women to have tiny headed doomed babies, which will be a tough sell even though all the pieces are in place for this to not affect affluent white women too much.

It's probably why they're painting it with the "LIBERAL CONSPIRACY!!!! IMMIGRANTS!!!!!" brush ahead of time. They really don't want a repeat of how thalidomide kicked the legs out from under their movement the last time

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You guys really don't understand the anti abortion movement at all.

They don't give two shits what happens to babies once they're born. If anything forcing women to give birth to horribly deformed children who'll inevitably die within a year just gets them harder. More guaranteed souls for heaven and more punishment for sluts who choose to fornicate; it's a win-win in their book.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

comes along bort posted:

You guys really don't understand the anti abortion movement at all.

They don't give two shits what happens to babies once they're born. If anything forcing women to give birth to horribly disformed children who'll inevitably die within a year just gets them harder. More guaranteed souls for heaven and more punishment for sluts who choose to fornicate; it's a win-win in their book.

The leaders yeah, but not everybody who identifies as pro-life is fervent enough to mandate deformed babies through restricting access to all family planning options, which is the modern strategy of the pro-life movement. Especially with their sudden and dramatic fall from prominence in the political sphere with Trump telling them basically to gently caress off, it's tough to say what is up for re-evaluation and what isn't

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Id they they do their own little cost-benefit analysis and decide

Cost:Human life. Benefit: Convenience of the mother.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Crabtree posted:

Racism overrides their nominal pro-life beliefs. Zika becomes another aspect that proves how inferior and dirty those "lesser" people trying to get into your land are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

The actual journalism on Buzzfeed (which they finance with their clickbait bullshit) tends to veer pretty left-wing. Not communist or anything like that, but by and large it reveals lovely things by the right-wing, and it's actually accurate.

In comparison Breitbart is also a clickbait site with 'real' 'journalism' or as it's usually known, yellow journalism. Its stories range from true, but of little interest, all the way to 'plainly manufactured to attack someone.'

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The thread says to post left-wing crazy here too, right? Here have some:

Edit: To tie it back around to Right(Left) Wing Media, Mother Jones has a short "article" about her and several other California candidates for Senate.

Left Wing Media mocks the insane fringe, apparently.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 7, 2016

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

The thread says to post left-wing crazy here too, right? Here have some:

Edit: To tie it back around to Right(Left) Wing Media, Mother Jones has a short "article" about her and several other California candidates for Senate.

Left Wing Media mocks the insane fringe, apparently.

Well I don't see what's so crazy about...

:catstare:

Oh

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah that really took a hard turn at the end there.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
4 - Propose unreasonable subsidies to the Brainslug Homeworld.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

You would think number 3 would have been higher on the list.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah that really took a hard turn at the end there.

I mean, even the first item was pretty much impossible in the practical sense, and the second one would likely crash, or severely damage the economy.

But that third one is just purestrain :psyduck:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No, smart crazy knows that you gotta draw people in first with reasonable-sounding positions. Then ramp up the crazy as you go on, trying to make it as difficult as possible to tell where the real crazy began.

It doesn't work as well when you've got bullet points unfortunately.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

The actual journalism on Buzzfeed (which they finance with their clickbait bullshit) tends to veer pretty left-wing. Not communist or anything like that, but by and large it reveals lovely things by the right-wing, and it's actually accurate.

So by "left-wing" you mean "not right-wing".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RZA Encryption posted:

Well hell, that's how RWM defines it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Well hell, that's how American society defines it.

FTFY

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sure, either you're "fair and balanced" or you're liberal. That's how so many centrist pundits (Jon Stewart, Keith Olbermann, Bill Maher) became liberal in the popular discourse- they were anti-Bush, so people saw them as lefties by default.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RZA Encryption posted:

To put it in other words:

Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

that's actually true. Anything left of the right wing is left wing... even moderate right wingers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
https://www.facebook.com/DisdainForPlebs/videos/1076711845742595/

This video keeps popping up on my FB feed, mostly by people going 'wtf is going on?' but a few people I know who tend to buy into the PC CULTURE RUN AMOK! type thinking have been going "these are the kinds of people who government is trying to appeal to?".

Which goverment is trying to appeal to the protester? Considering how there are States making cops a protected class, I don't think that's true.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I couldn't watch it more than once, but did she get pepper sprayed or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Jack Gladney posted:

I couldn't watch it more than once, but did she get pepper sprayed or something?

The cop lightly slaps a balloon away, accidentally popping it. The girl takes a knee like she's been gravely injured.

It's actually kinda funny.