Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Quote for new page:

Antioch posted:

"Hey we can't get into office 365 with our SSO"

Yes? We never set up O365 on the SSO, or at least haven't yet. You all signed off on the SSO *only* being available for one application as a test. It's only been two weeks since that went in and you haven't even started using it for testing yet. No one even asked about O365 until last Friday, in passing, as an 'In the future" thing.

"Well we told people they could get into Project with SSO, so we need it to work"

oooooo...kay? I'll need a bunch of information from you so I can set up the SAML connection I guess, takes about a week?

"We need it working in production by Wednesday"

That's nice and it's not going to happen.

I sent the whole email chain to my boss, who sent it to the director who's on vacation and won't be back until the 27th. Guess that Wednesday thing isn't happenin', eh, jerkoffs?

Typical "I don't understand how this works or how any of the process to get it functioning works" demands. I get that you can't know everything but ignorance is no excuse to try and dick up my day with unreasonable demands because you'd rather make poo poo up than sit down with me and try and actually learn something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

larchesdanrew posted:

How's everyone else doing?
I'm off this week.

I've got a user who has spent the last three years jockeying for the best computer in the office. Anytime he sees or hears about someone else getting put in their computer for any reason at all he wants the same. His current computer is from his supposed predecessor, which I pulled strings to get for him because he was new and he begged me, and he was supposed to take over the guy's role so it only makes sense. Except he's awful so he never did. I put 32 gigs of RAM in another computer for testing software and this guy literally every day for a fortnight was asking me for extra RAM. Anyway, he finally does what I've been telling him to do for three years and organises with his boss to approve an asset upgrade, so I build him a new machine.

It sits under his desk for two and a half weeks because the only guy who installs and configures our CAD software is variously at other offices or on leave. During this time I get him moaning at me about why can't I just do it, to which I reply that I have even less of an idea of how than he does since he actually uses the software, and without documentation of licensing I'm not going to be installing thousands of dollars worth of program willy-nilly.

Last Monday I get notice that we have four new people starting this week, so I need four new configured accounts and machines ready to ship by Thursday. That same day is when our CAD admin is back in, so he spends the lunch hour fixing up moaner's new PC. Immediately after he gets back from lunch I get him coming over to my desk saying "hey, what did you do to my machine?" in an accusatory tone. It turns out that as soon as he came back from lunch it stopped booting. He acts like it is my fault, so I swap his old machine back in and take the new one back to the build area. Not even five minutes later I get an IM "have you got it working yet?" so it miraculously falls down the queue below people who literally won't have machines to work on.

Wednesday I get around to looking at it - the machine is fine, it just freezes on the BIOS screen when you have a USB device plugged into the front of it during boot, and the first thing the idiot did when getting back from lunch was plug his iphone in. No biggie - just a BIOS update. Which fries the motherboard. Now the computer light turns on but there's no activity at all. On Thursday I ship all the new computers, file a warranty request, and hand in a leave request because it won't have come across in this rant but the guy is the most annoying needy loving dick I have ever worked for. Even though I tell him I'm under pressure to get new people set up (on top of general work and the tail end of a month of servers making GBS threads the bed) he's still constantly checking up on the progress of this upgrade, which isn't even a huge upgrade because of how much he's whined to get his old computer beefed up - he's getting a slightly newer processor of the same speed and a better graphics card, and that's it, but it has a higher number on the front.

He took Friday off to play Assassin's Creed so I didn't get to tell him that the parts to fix his computer are back-ordered for the 17th. On the other hand, I found out that we're getting a "no headphones" policy in the office because he listens to music too loudly to hear his boss who sits directly behind him. God I hate him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghostlight posted:

I'm off this week.

I've got a user who has spent the last three years jockeying for the best computer in the office. Anytime he sees or hears about someone else getting put in their computer for any reason at all he wants the same. His current computer is from his supposed predecessor, which I pulled strings to get for him because he was new and he begged me, and he was supposed to take over the guy's role so it only makes sense. Except he's awful so he never did. I put 32 gigs of RAM in another computer for testing software and this guy literally every day for a fortnight was asking me for extra RAM. Anyway, he finally does what I've been telling him to do for three years and organises with his boss to approve an asset upgrade, so I build him a new machine.

It sits under his desk for two and a half weeks because the only guy who installs and configures our CAD software is variously at other offices or on leave. During this time I get him moaning at me about why can't I just do it, to which I reply that I have even less of an idea of how than he does since he actually uses the software, and without documentation of licensing I'm not going to be installing thousands of dollars worth of program willy-nilly.

Last Monday I get notice that we have four new people starting this week, so I need four new configured accounts and machines ready to ship by Thursday. That same day is when our CAD admin is back in, so he spends the lunch hour fixing up moaner's new PC. Immediately after he gets back from lunch I get him coming over to my desk saying "hey, what did you do to my machine?" in an accusatory tone. It turns out that as soon as he came back from lunch it stopped booting. He acts like it is my fault, so I swap his old machine back in and take the new one back to the build area. Not even five minutes later I get an IM "have you got it working yet?" so it miraculously falls down the queue below people who literally won't have machines to work on.

Wednesday I get around to looking at it - the machine is fine, it just freezes on the BIOS screen when you have a USB device plugged into the front of it during boot, and the first thing the idiot did when getting back from lunch was plug his iphone in. No biggie - just a BIOS update. Which fries the motherboard. Now the computer light turns on but there's no activity at all. On Thursday I ship all the new computers, file a warranty request, and hand in a leave request because it won't have come across in this rant but the guy is the most annoying needy loving dick I have ever worked for. Even though I tell him I'm under pressure to get new people set up (on top of general work and the tail end of a month of servers making GBS threads the bed) he's still constantly checking up on the progress of this upgrade, which isn't even a huge upgrade because of how much he's whined to get his old computer beefed up - he's getting a slightly newer processor of the same speed and a better graphics card, and that's it, but it has a higher number on the front.

He took Friday off to play Assassin's Creed so I didn't get to tell him that the parts to fix his computer are back-ordered for the 17th. On the other hand, I found out that we're getting a "no headphones" policy in the office because he listens to music too loudly to hear his boss who sits directly behind him. God I hate him.

I've worked in places(and currently work in one, tbh) where if you don't ride peoples asses constantly then your ticket just gets ignored. I spent 2 weeks riding people just to get basic access to a small fraction of the systems I am supposed to be supporting. I can see getting in trouble with people who are more on the ball just because I'm used to people who will gently caress off if not constantly pestered.

And in this kind of place, bitching does no good because thats just what they expect to happen, and doing better doesn't cross anyones mind(every place like this has been a F500 that has spent years with gov't contracts)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

I've worked in places(and currently work in one, tbh) where if you don't ride peoples asses constantly then your ticket just gets ignored. I spent 2 weeks riding people just to get basic access to a small fraction of the systems I am supposed to be supporting. I can see getting in trouble with people who are more on the ball just because I'm used to people who will gently caress off if not constantly pestered.

And in this kind of place, bitching does no good because thats just what they expect to happen, and doing better doesn't cross anyones mind(every place like this has been a F500 that has spent years with gov't contracts)

I might have to give one of my coworkers a lesson about riding asses.

For some magical reason he can't receive e-mail from any outside address. He's been in my department for 4 months and IT swears they can't figure out why...even though this is by design for his old department. Ticket is about a month old at this point.

Now, I'm no exchange guy, but this sounds a little unreasonable to me. My coworker is too nice and passive to a fault. Side effect of coming from the call center I guess, sometimes you have to be aggressive to get poo poo done. Especially for a horribly understaffed IT department like ours.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 7, 2016

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

I might suggest putting this on github, so people can monitor updates/changes easily. Also others can submit changes to you far more easily and you can merge them.

Not a windows guy so this is all greek to me, but anyone that shares poo poo is awesome.
The only reason I don't put it on Github is that if I do that, the API goes away in favor of text file, which (after I add HMAC authentication so the list absolutely 100% can't be modified in transit) makes it much less secure.

As for the updates, I have the entire RAW list of filters so that if people don't trust me - which I'm totally fine with - they can add them themselves.

Like I said, I just want people to be protected, however that may be. Trusting me, not trusting me, it's all the same in the end - the admin gets one more day of stress-free, crypto-free work.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ghostlight posted:

listens to music too loudly to hear his boss who sits directly behind him

My boss just started throwing paper clips at me. He still hasn't made it into my coffee/water mug. I'm disappointed in him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My boss just IMs me because he can't be bothered taking his own headphones off.

RFC2324 posted:

I've worked in places(and currently work in one, tbh) where if you don't ride peoples asses constantly then your ticket just gets ignored.
Riding rear end is one thing, but he's never filed a ticket (to be fair most of our users don't) and most of what he rides me about is actually just him being too lazy for procedures or having no respect for the fact that there's more going on in the company than funnelling him the latest stuff to make up for his unoptimised CAD layers.

I will admit that if someone hasn't spoken to me about an issue in two weeks I will sneakily try to mark it resolved without confirming.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghostlight posted:

My boss just IMs me because he can't be bothered taking his own headphones off.

Riding rear end is one thing, but he's never filed a ticket (to be fair most of our users don't) and most of what he rides me about is actually just him being too lazy for procedures or having no respect for the fact that there's more going on in the company than funnelling him the latest stuff to make up for his unoptimised CAD layers.

I will admit that if someone hasn't spoken to me about an issue in two weeks I will sneakily try to mark it resolved without confirming.

I wasn't entirely defending that dude, he is obviously a whiny bitch. Just defending the constant bugging as a possibly learned behavior.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I have until Wednesday to completely plan our 1:1 initiative that I was told was three years away but the director has randomly decided, while on vacation, that we're doing it next year.

But, It's ok, my predecessor should have already completed it.

But if he didn't, I should just whip up a finalized copy before the meeting Wednesday, complete with a contingency plan for how to convert the computer labs into study areas with printers for the students to use.

I've been in that situation before, and the best thing you can do it outright tell them you cannot possibly get a decent plan done on that schedule. Offer a rough draft and when they grumble and accept that make drat sure you CYA in that draft with ample notices that prices, technologies, and timelines will change as the work progress.

If you pull 80 hours of work out of your bum in three days they'll come to expect that from you, and you're screwed.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Coworker did a final sync of the clients data to the new NAS. Except he changed the sync plan to Mirror instead of Update thus nuking about two weeks of my work on the new volume.

loving awesome. I'm due at the client site for training end of this week so now I get to rebuild everything!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That implies your new NAS doesn't snapshot :raise:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

That implies your new NAS doesn't snapshot :raise:

I didn't do the NAS setup, I'm just the dude doing the media asset management setup. While it has the ability to do snapshots no space was set aside so :shrug:

Normally we have a separate server doing sync to a DR volume though it looks like it wasn't sold in this case. I think I'm going to talk to the pre-sales engineer about building in extra space for snapshots going forward.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

User calls up unable to access some stuff she needs "to do her job." I let her know I'll look into it and get back to her. Okay, she's not in the proper groups. Chances are either she never had access or she was removed. Either way, I can direct her to someone to talk to.

It's been an hour and I can find the original requests to have her added, but I can't find poo poo about the removal. We happen to have a test server running with data from last year and she's got access back then, but she doesn't now.

How the gently caress did we take this user out of two groups without any loving documentation? I don't see a ticket, an email, nothing. No one remembers poo poo either. I'd rather not go to the Finance director and be like, "Oh hey, did anyone in your dept happen to request this change? Because we have no idea what the gently caress we're doing, apparently. If not I guess we'll just give her access again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Sorry, just needed to rant there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

odiv posted:

User calls up unable to access some stuff she needs "to do her job." I let her know I'll look into it and get back to her. Okay, she's not in the proper groups. Chances are either she never had access or she was removed. Either way, I can direct her to someone to talk to.

It's been an hour and I can find the original requests to have her added, but I can't find poo poo about the removal. We happen to have a test server running with data from last year and she's got access back then, but she doesn't now.

How the gently caress did we take this user out of two groups without any loving documentation? I don't see a ticket, an email, nothing. No one remembers poo poo either. I'd rather not go to the Finance director and be like, "Oh hey, did anyone in your dept happen to request this change? Because we have no idea what the gently caress we're doing, apparently. If not I guess we'll just give her access again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Sorry, just needed to rant there.

We run into this a lot at my work as well, isn't there some sort of windows domain security auditing that can list who did what at what time?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not domain account/groups, sadly. Application in question has no auditing on account changes, apparently.

Just spoke to user fishing for more information and apparently she emailed my manager two months ago saying she was changing roles and no longer needed access, so there's somewhere I can start!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mewse posted:

We run into this a lot at my work as well, isn't there some sort of windows domain security auditing that can list who did what at what time?

That'd be entrapment!

odiv posted:

Just spoke to user fishing for more information and apparently she emailed my manager two months ago saying she was changing roles and no longer needed access, so there's somewhere I can start!

SEEEEE, ENTRAPMENT!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If work is done via a ticketing system and you don't list what you did in the tickets then you're worse than Hitler.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

If work is done via a ticketing system and you don't list what you did in the tickets then you're worse than Hitler.

ugggh don't get me started on tickets

We use Jira, and our Jira admin apparently comes up with agile new scrumtastic ticket flows at least once a month. You file a ticket and get a very confused person following up a week or two later because sometimes the fields necessary to complete the ticket just evaporate or are otherwise modified in such a way where any ticket created pre-modification just drops data on the floor. It's great!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

MARKETING :argh: posted:

Hello Helpdesk!

Due to our move <Company Name> is listed as closed on the Google Search, we need to rectify this because it can have a negative impact on customers and other PR related issues. We would like to fix this ASAP and we can receive a verification code via a phone call. This call routes to the number on the Google search which is <company's main number>, however this is an automated message. Can we direct all phone calls to the Admin and remove the phone tree for a few minutes while we receive the verification code?

-Person Who is Apparently Serious

Yeah let me just completely dismantle our phone system during business hours because you failed to plan ahead.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Fortis posted:

Yeah let me just completely dismantle our phone system during business hours because you failed to plan ahead.

You can also request a postcard containing a verification PIN be mailed to the address. A little slower, but if you cant complete the phone verification it works. Could send that s a suggestion.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

stevewm posted:

You can also request a postcard containing a verification PIN be mailed to the address. A little slower, but if you cant complete the phone verification it works. Could send that a suggestion.

Subsequent updates indicated that they were incredibly concerned about "timeliness" which in my experience translates to "we hosed around and put this off and now the director of marketing is going to murder us."

I ended up asking him if he could find out the number which he did not even bother to try to do, so I just looked in the call logs and found it myself, then created a call rule to route all calls from that specific number to his extension, which worked.

I know it's too much to ask but couldn't people just, I dunno, ask "is there some way we can accomplish what we're trying to do?" rather than demand we disable entire systems just so they can get what they want immediately? (No.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The XY Problem, it's everywhere

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Going along with this, I had a branch location throw the verification post card away 4 times in a row.. Despite me telling them it would be arriving, sending multiple pictures f what it looked like, etc..

Apparently after 4 attempts Google no longer allows you to verify via this method. So I had to send off a support request and wait 2 weeks for a actual human from Google to call me and get the location verified using other means.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Slow VDI performance you say? Looks like someone has bought a Server 2008 VPS that most definitely isn't designed for VDI and is making a lot of money from you. There's not much that you can do in your office to fix 3 seconds of storage latency.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

I hear this, it gets REALLY bad where I work sometimes, especially at our main location an hour away. It's like our 2 offices are completely different - the office I'm in, everyone is friendly, joking, helpful, all having a good time and getting poo poo done. We document everything to the letter whether it's instructionals for client environments or putting in good ticket notes.

Other office though? Half their clients have outdated documentation that engineers haven't updated. Notes in tickets boil down to "logged into <x> and fixed problem" with nothing else saying what they did when they logged into <x> or what even caused the original problem. Several times, people on call from my office have had to go to our direct manager because a client called, we had the wrong info (or almost no info) on who to contact, and got our asses chewed for being disorganized and "unhelpful". Engineers in the other office don't even want to expend the few minutes it would take to show our help desk folks how to, say, log into an admin interface for wireless and reboot an AP. More than once, our help desk people in both offices have worked a ticket for 30-40 minutes, got stuck, escalated to a main engineer in our sister office...and had the ticket kicked back to them with no notes on what to do or why it was pushed back. :fuckoff:

I dunno what's worse though, that these idiot engineers get away with being assholes like that, or the management above them that do jack poo poo when we keep calling them out on it. Pretty bad when our help desk people in my office have to pass info on to the neighbor office, because my office actually takes the time to teach people how to do poo poo so they can move upward.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 7, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Fortis posted:

I know it's too much to ask but couldn't people just, I dunno, ask "is there some way we can accomplish what we're trying to do?" rather than demand we disable entire systems just so they can get what they want immediately? (No.)

Thanks Ants posted:

The XY Problem, it's everywhere

100% this, http://xyproblem.info/ for reference

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Two highest priority/enterprise-affecting tickets came in!

:downs: Please unmount /mnt on development serverA, we are done using it.
:downs: Please unmount /mnt on development serverB, we are done using it.

:commissar:

I need a :dba: smiley. It will not be a good smiley.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stolen from the 'pos

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015
I don't know why, but the table behind them with a huge chunk broken off is hilarious to me.

It looks like a giant bite mark.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dillbag posted:

Stolen from the 'pos

Remember to tip your server!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kurieg posted:

:cripes:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know the backstory of that picture?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Looks like raised floor tile failure.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've been trying to get transferred to our corporate office in Germany.

I hear that they don't have a culture of tipping servers there.

edit: well... apparently I'm dead wrong.

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 8, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Best trace to source I can find:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/64856052@N00/894127714/ - seems to be the original photo. Description says impressively everything still works.
https://blogs.oracle.com/constantin/entry/now_that_s_what_i - mentions a German site which supposedly posted the original story, unfortunately I can't seem to find it. (Archive.org isn't any good either.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Kurieg posted:

That would be my guess.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
We had a slight power outage in a DC on the weekend.

- 698 servers need to be rebuilt
- 15 domain controllers down
- poo poo's hosed, yo

Also why wasn't anyone notified when the ups kicked in so everyone could maybe do a proper power down? Who knows.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Yep.

Or rather this is what happens when you put racks directly on the tiles instead of the supports that go down to the concrete below like you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

iRend posted:

We had a slight power outage in a DC on the weekend.

- 698 servers need to be rebuilt
- 15 domain controllers down
- poo poo's hosed, yo

Also why wasn't anyone notified when the ups kicked in so everyone could maybe do a proper power down? Who knows.

Generator failure?

• Locked thread