Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Kickstarter CCGs are the worst, but is it really a Fable game without some farcical feature promises? Like the game reading my facial structure using my PC's camera to dynamically adjust the cards to match my mood, the ability for the world champion to be granted their own micronation, or the ability to perform asynchronous play with your cat.

If it's not a pack of lies, I don't see how it qualifies as a Fable game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
if I can't fart on my cards then I'm out.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Kickstarter CCGs are the worst, but is it really a Fable game without some farcical feature promises? Like the game reading my facial structure using my PC's camera to dynamically adjust the cards to match my mood, the ability for the world champion to be granted their own micronation, or the ability to perform asynchronous play with your cat.

If it's not a pack of lies, I don't see how it qualifies as a Fable game.

Peter Molyneux isn't involved with this one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I know.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Al Baron posted:

So who wants a Fable CCG?

Note they have the IP, but no development support from Microsoft:
It's going to be tough to make it when the pitch relies entirely on those who fall into both groups of "people who back free-to-play CCGs on Kickstarter" and "people who give a drat about the characters in Fable".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Also gently caress CCGs, they are the worst. An LCG would be backable, but CCGs are built purely to exploit players.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
CCGs were basically using garbage borderline-gambling F2P systems before anyone had even conceived of the concept of a microtransaction. Or before anyone had even conceived of the concept of videogames, if you count baseball cards.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

I really loved the Star Wars: CCG back in the day... :ohdear:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

CCGs were basically using garbage borderline-gambling F2P systems before anyone had even conceived of the concept of a microtransaction. Or before anyone had even conceived of the concept of videogames, if you count baseball cards.

How on earth were collectible cards back in the day "F2P systems"?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Beeswax posted:

How on earth were collectible cards back in the day "F2P systems"?

Free2Play wasn't a thing at the time, but the system was basically the same:
Many F2P games have little packs of stuff you can buy. Some of the stuff will be rarer than others, but you can't know what you'll get until you buy the pack. Since some stuff is rare, or even really really rare, people will spend lots of money for the sake of having it.
Like a CCG booster pack.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Regular CCG's aren't even f2p...u have to pay to play.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Eh, you can probably get a stack of common cards for free from most players. But the good cards will cost 'ya!

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Most CCG players had at least one extra deck on hand that players could borrow.

Has there been any successful Kickstarted CCG? I know that the second Fig game was a CCG that failed horribly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Regular CCG's aren't even f2p...u have to pay to play.

fee2pay is a very real thing lately though.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Hex got $2.25M:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Crea, the

quote:

2D Sandbox created with you in mind. Infused with RPG elements, Crea focuses on exploration and creation. Modding fully supported.

is finally coming out, apparently. The KS campaign was four years ago.

quote:

Why, hello there! We have had been hard at work on Crea and I am extremely pleased to announce that Crea is going to finally be released as 1.0 on June 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCcExZzzQw

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Stygian - Reign Of the Old Ones is a very, very Lovecraftian RPG.

It's hard to pull off the funny 7 min long KS pitch, but these guys did it. It also helps if you're a Lovecraft head, immensely.

Here's a gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2-ivhhpEtE

Probably, given the mechanics, the closest similar thing is Darkest Dungeon.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Obduction gets delayed for a month. Why, you may ask?

quote:

Fit and polish. That extra month gives us some quality time - to up the… quality - a good thing! 

Unreal Engine 4 updates. We don’t control these, and Epic just released a big new update that changes a few things. 

Oculus Rift VR version. This doesn’t affect everyone, but it helps us to tie everything into a larger launch event. 

Avoid industry noise. There are a few big industry things happening at the end of June that our small company doesn't need to try to shout over.

I thought VR was already flopping again so unless they are getting money from the event, who cares, and that pisses off the 99.99% of people who don't care about that poo poo.

Also aren't taking Unreal Engine updates optional? I don't remember seeing patches to all my other Unreal games whenever that happens.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

monster on a stick posted:

Also aren't taking Unreal Engine updates optional? I don't remember seeing patches to all my other Unreal games whenever that happens.
I am guessing that since the game is technically still in development, they opt in for new engine updates especially if those also include performance optimizations, noteworthy bug fixes, better VR support and such in the changelog.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cosmic Star Heroine got an E3 trailer, Summer release window and is getting a Limited Run physical printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQNG5t8wCs

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

I am guessing that since the game is technically still in development, they opt in for new engine updates especially if those also include performance optimizations, noteworthy bug fixes, better VR support and such in the changelog.

Maybe, but when you are shipping in a few weeks, you don't delay to get engine updates. The code should be locked down for final test passes, and you can work on supporting the new engine version using a branch.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe, but when you are shipping in a few weeks, you don't delay to get engine updates. The code should be locked down for final test passes, and you can work on supporting the new engine version using a branch.

Yes, that would be the proper way of doing things. I was just saying that, yes they could skip the updates (or create a code branch and continue working on that without introducing new unforeseen bugs to a build that they have probably hopefully been playtesting for a while), but they chose to opt in. So, there must be something significant in that update that they needed or maybe something that they themselves requested from the Unreal Engine.

I am always wary of projects (even more of kickstarted projects) which set a release date, and then come that date they push the release back for polishing and a bunch of other stuff (VR support in this case, and Unreal Engine update integration) that imply that they are in crunch panic mode. It never pans out well at least for the release-day state of the product.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine got an E3 trailer, Summer release window and is getting a Limited Run physical printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQNG5t8wCs

It's about time. Seems like CSH has been in development forever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Good to see, they're very good at doing progressive stuff with the old JRPG format, and hopefully they've had a chance to take this one further than before.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
its good stuff, although i wish they had gone more for the phantasy star style of overlaid comic panels for cut scenes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Banjo-Threeie's been kicked from October 2016 to March 2017. But here's a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gxLvbX3Ow

I hope they use the intervening time to replace Yooka's speaking voice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 6, 2016

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Is the framerate in that video also terrible for everybody else or is it just my computer?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Christian Knudsen posted:

Is the framerate in that video also terrible for everybody else or is it just my computer?

Looked fine to me, except at the end there where they were showing off that entire level.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

I just tried downloading the YouTube video and playing it back on VLC. I'm still getting definite hitching/jerking that would completely turn me off playing the game. Weird.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Those levels look way too big. Hopefully they add something to make traveling quicker, like a car or plane or something.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Those levels look way too big. Hopefully they add something to make traveling quicker, like a car or plane or something.

And you have to build them yourselves!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mr Underhill posted:

Stygian - Reign Of the Old Ones is a very, very Lovecraftian RPG.

It's hard to pull off the funny 7 min long KS pitch, but these guys did it. It also helps if you're a Lovecraft head, immensely.

Here's a gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2-ivhhpEtE

Probably, given the mechanics, the closest similar thing is Darkest Dungeon.

This looks neat but I'm really getting burned out on how much Lovecraft gets shoved into so many things these days. Eldritch beings and all that are neat and all but just... eh. I'm sick of it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
looks like the delay in this month's backer update for Bloodstained was due to them preparing a video demo, and some more level assets: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1592543

those backgrounds look really good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Bloodstained really does look quite good. It's obviously working on a budget but it's got nice art design and style to it.

Why couldn't MN9 look like that? :smith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought it wasn't just a video demo but a playable demo for E3, that would be available for people at the $60 level.

I am not sure if I want to shell out an extra $30, but I think that is pretty cool.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I always felt the levels were way too big in Banjo 2. Or at least, that there was way too much tedious backtracking.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought it wasn't just a video demo but a playable demo for E3, that would be available for people at the $60 level.

I am not sure if I want to shell out an extra $30, but I think that is pretty cool.

i more meant that they were probably late for this update because they were preparing the video that came with it. if they were only going to announce the playable e3 demo, they could have done that on june 1st

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Bloodstained really does look quite good. It's obviously working on a budget but it's got nice art design and style to it.

Why couldn't MN9 look like that? :smith:

Because if the explosions didn't look like they were from a bad third party N64 game it wouldn't look retro.

That is an actual argument I've heard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

That's what the update says. Anyone at the $60+ tiers gets the demo on the 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Face, meet palm.

Call Of Honor: Tactical Warefare