Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Guess we should just watch a literal sex offender on TV do a lovely job of everything instead. :ms:

Hey, the BBC sticks to what it knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Automotive Insanity > Top Gear Series 23: Everybody hates Chris

Can we at least specify which Chris?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Evansbody hates Chris.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

pik_d posted:

I dont think thats necessary, everyone knows :colbert:

(I havent seen extra gear at all. I forgot harris existed completely)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 7, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pik_d posted:

It's a double meaning. The BBC seems to be ignoring Harris and everyone actually hates Evans

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey watch me drive this car straight down a runway while screaming!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

jamal posted:

Hey watch me drive this car straight down a runway while screaming!

Worked for Hammond.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

sean10mm posted:

:allears:

And holy poo poo, the ratings fell by half apparently from episode 1 to 2? :stonkhat:

Is that one of the ginger's FACTS?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chris Harris is actually pretty annoying in his own right.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

wargames posted:

Is that one of the ginger's FACTS?

Ugh the facts don't matter anymore you loving troll. Why doesn't anyone get this?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Cojawfee posted:

Evansbody hates Chris.

:golfclap:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The DHL videos just make me miss those three more

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My big problem with Evans is why the gently caress do I care what he thinks about a car? Does he know? Clarkson had years as a legit journalist under his belt before top gear.

Evans gets in a McLaren and yells about how great it is but can he really judge that? Can he judge dynamics? What does he have to compare it to?

And he even has the gall to brag about ordering one. Clarkson has money, he owns some awesome cars but he never bragged about them, the only one I can remember is the GT that he bitched about constantly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel some people are genuinely confused about what Top Gear is/was... It stopped being a semi-legit review show in the 90s and became blokes pissing about in cars. 5th Gear became the 'review' show and TG carried on being a fun show, irony being the only person who's legitimately capable of reviewing a car at the level of a lot of the ones in the show is the person who doesn't actually speak, Stig.

The last time someone wrote in and whinged about it no longer being a review show in season 13, this happened;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0

...because it's not a review show.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

I feel some people are genuinely confused about what Top Gear is/was... It stopped being a semi-legit review show in the 90s and became blokes pissing about in cars. 5th Gear became the 'review' show and TG carried on being a fun show, irony being the only person who's legitimately capable of reviewing a car at the level of a lot of the ones in the show is the person who doesn't actually speak, Stig.

The last time someone wrote in and whinged about it no longer being a review show in season 13, this happened;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0

...because it's not a review show.

I got plenty of practical knowledge about cars I could never afford, that was actually kinda useful; and they did spend a fair amount of time explaining the finer points of their cars in challenges, and did an even better job illustrating through their hijinks that you cannot actually determine the best car by it's numbers, but by the experiences of owning them. Quite often, they would recite performance figures and stats about their chosen cars that made it sound better on paper, and then trouncing it by modifying the criteria, showing that the world was not a skid pad or race track, and that the average guy isn't a loving race car driver.

The show was a perfectly dismissive pantomime of every car culture norm and made it into entertainment.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Episode 2 might be worse than the first, Evans contaminates that show like a loving human Chernobyl.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

D C posted:

the only one I can remember is the GT that he bitched about constantly.

That made me sad, you could really tell it was his dream car and he loved it, but the malfunctioning alarm turned it into 'THAT loving CAR' and you could really feel the conflict in him.

So if somebody were to replace Evans, I'm going to suggest Rowan Atkinson.

*drives lovely car*
*makes Rowan Atkinson face*
*world knows how he feels*

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CornHolio posted:

That made me sad, you could really tell it was his dream car and he loved it, but the malfunctioning alarm turned it into 'THAT loving CAR' and you could really feel the conflict in him.

The biggest conflict being his bitching about American cars and then buying one. An expensive one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CornHolio posted:

*drives lovely car*

You should watch this in which he does the thing you said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT71iETt9Zw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CornHolio posted:

*drives lovely car*

I dunno man, I would've just gotten the loving alarm taken out...

Here is a thing that's causing issues. But I guess I'll just leave it right where it is because it's already there. It'll all work perfectly if I take it out but it's already there so y'know, I guess I'll just leave it right where it is.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

88h88 posted:

Here is a thing that's causing issues. But I guess I'll just leave it right where it is because it's already there. It'll all work perfectly if I take it out but it's already there so y'know, I guess I'll just leave it right where it is.

Modern alarm systems are not at all easy to remove as far as I know, so that was probably not an option.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

IIRC it was required by the insurance company and he had no choice about having the alarm,

But he did buy the car from them again, not long after

quote:

The first three weeks of Ford GT ownership were not happy. Its alarm went off constantly, the anti-theft tracker cried wolf every five minutes and the satellite navigation system caused the engine to think it might be a dishwasher of some kind. So I sent it away and demanded my money back.
This didnt go down well with the readership of The Sunday Times. Every day my in-box was choked with more and more missives from angry people saying Id been too rash, that Id waited 40 years for this car and shouldnt have given up because of some small electronic glitches.

You were right, of course, so Im delighted to say that its back, sitting in my drive looking all blue and huge.

Theyve fixed the alarm by winding down the sensitivity of the sensors. Now you could host a showjumping competition in there and the siren would remain mute. Theyve fixed the tracker by turning it off. And I dont know how they fixed the sat nav, but whatever they did it only lasted a mile before the engine warning light came on again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So it needed an alarm for insurance purposes but it for all intents and purposes no longer functions anyway...!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

hopterque posted:

Modern alarm systems are not at all easy to remove as far as I know, so that was probably not an option.

If i recall correctly it was an aftermarket unit installed at ford UK, not a factory thing. If it can be bolted on i assume it can be bolted off.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A lovely alarm will surely deter Ford GT thieves.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It wasn't totally lovely. They were very good about immobilizing the car when it was moving.

E: and letting Clarkson know they were doing it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

He likely hated the mileage plus the insanely small gas tank more compared to the alarm since the alarm was just a temporary issue. The whole episode where they drive super-cars to the Millau Viaduct in France is great. Especially all the scenes of Clarkson having to stop to fill up the GT.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alighieri posted:

He likely hated the mileage plus the insanely small gas tank more compared to the alarm since the alarm was just a temporary issue. The whole episode where they drive super-cars to the Millau Viaduct in France is great. Especially all the scenes of Clarkson having to stop to fill up the GT.

See also the GT500 vs train show. :haw:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Daily Mail and all, but midday wine against the wall of a possibly abandoned building certainly doesn't seem like the actions of a happy man: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pisode-two.html

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

wolrah posted:

Daily Mail and all, but midday wine against the wall of a possibly abandoned building certainly doesn't seem like the actions of a happy man: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pisode-two.html

what a loving attention whore.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

wolrah posted:

He's had alcohol problems in the past and I hope he turns up to work drunk and gets sacked again

Crash74
May 11, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

He's had alcohol problems in the past and I hope he turns up to work drunk and gets sacked again

Would pay ten bux to see Clarkson deck him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you allowed to just drink in the street in the UK?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

sean10mm posted:

I was off a bit, it fell from 4.4m to 2.8m in UK and only got like 330,000 in US where like half million+ was normal. So still super dire, Antiques Roadshow murdered it.

Admittedly, antiques roadshow can be kind of charming.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I don't get why they have to have ALL the celebs up for the track times and I know the last top gear was scripted but for fucks sake theres no legitimate sounding interview.

I actually went to a filming of the original top gear, even though Clarkson is a oval office hes a really likable oval office and was constantly cracking jokes with the audience and adding things to the script.

I bet that Chris is just reading off the script word from word hope they sack that ginger twat

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

wolrah posted:

I pictured Evans hammering a brown paper bag full of cheap wine and pants full of piss, ready to say I liked him more now but nope, he's sitting in the street with a drat glass of white wine and an iphone. Can't even be a day-drinking transient correctly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wolrah posted:

Evans is a oval office but that's just gutter gossip rag bullshit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Long Francesco posted:

what a loving attention whore.

"That paparazzi over there has a nice clear shot of me? Okay, let's do this"

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Sometimes you just want to have a drink by yourself, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I think he'll be okay if he stops shouting and they can do something about the guest section. I didn't even skip through the horrible Top Gear US guest sections but everything but the lap is just mind-numbingly bad. The rally cross lap isn't so bad but the terrible gimmic of plugging the other persons thing and the weird car competition thing just really makes me angry and I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wolrah posted:

Can this be the OP image now?