Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Goons: "you know that guy that's an actually unique and interesting character, and a total war hero badass despite looking unassuming but just wants to leave that all behind and fix poo poo around the station? Yeah that guy sucks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

AugmentedVision posted:

Goons: "you know that guy that's an actually unique and interesting character, and a total war hero badass despite looking unassuming but just wants to leave that all behind and fix poo poo around the station? Yeah that guy sucks"

watch out the miles obrien internet defense force has arrived

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

If you count every episode ignoring every other episode then yeah?

Someone can fly a shuttle into the side of the ship, fly a shuttle through a hole in the ship, eject the warpcore or get alien STDs everywhere and it basically never happened.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Take me home, Smiley.

quote:

Intendant Kira: Whatever shall we do about O'Brien? I remember the first time I saw you, Tinkerer. You were fixing something. You were always fixing things, making things better. And everyone loved you for it, even me. But that just wasn't enough for you, was it? You couldn't be happy, staying here being loved. You had to lash out and betray everyone who was ever good to you. Why?

Smiley O'Brien: I wanted to be free.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AugmentedVision posted:

Goons aren't saying that, the DS9 writers are saying that. Goons just point out how poo poo his life is.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luxury Communism posted:

watch out the miles obrien internet defense force has arrived

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

lmao what is this from

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope the new Trek has it's O'Brien as a complete chav

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
O'Brien is kind of a genius though, at the start of DS9 he's just like 'gently caress man you want me to integrate Federation technology with Cardassian technology and have it all work just fine gently caress' and then he does it anyway.

Meanwhile you ask an IT kid to make this Windows program run on Linux natively and he rolls his eyes and calls you an idiot.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

no, there no racism in rod and berries future utopia

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Keiko being a hardcore vegetarian in a world where meat doesn't come from animals is just- weird.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

AugmentedVision posted:

lmao what is this from

rehearsals

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
An episode of Chopped from Star trek times would either be the most boring poo poo ever or the greatest, I'm not sure which

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Riker cooks bare loving eggs for his friends like it's some kind of delicacy. Meanwhile, the replicator has dishes from fucktons of alien worlds but everybody bitches about it. The future is populated by neo-millennials.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Booblord Zagats posted:

An episode of Chopped from Star trek times would either be the most boring poo poo ever or the greatest, I'm not sure which

HOST: OK contestants, your ingredients were telurian slugs, klingon blood rice, and breen peppers. What have you made for us today?

SISCO: Jambalaya!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

AugmentedVision posted:

Hey I'm not saying he sucks, just that the only mass killing he was responsible for was eating five pounds of shrimp at Quarks every day.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I just watched that season 1 ep where Wesley takes the test to get into the academy and it involved a bit where he thought the base was on fire and he had to rescue one guy while leaving another to die and drat, trying to become a space janitor requires some serious gumption and know how.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Riker cooks bare loving eggs for his friends like it's some kind of delicacy. Meanwhile, the replicator has dishes from fucktons of alien worlds but everybody bitches about it. The future is populated by neo-millennials.

:smug: You probably haven't heard of these but I'm going to make an artisinal omelette with eggs from Rigard V

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

AugmentedVision posted:

lmao what is this from

"Dramatis Personae" when Sisko becomes a crazy clock maker, is attacked by a rando Bajoran sent by Kira and O'Brien's first instinct is to backhand Dax.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DS9 does a good job of making it seem like the place would just break in half without Obrien there. Yeah, everyone has a job but you could always get another security chief or captain if they died but if Smiley died you might as turn the lights off and shut it down.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
When I first started watching DS9 I was like "Oh great O'Brien's here" but I warmed up to the character pretty fast

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Roylicious posted:

O'Brien is kind of a genius though, at the start of DS9 he's just like 'gently caress man you want me to integrate Federation technology with Cardassian technology and have it all work just fine gently caress' and then he does it anyway.

Meanwhile you ask an IT kid to make this Windows program run on Linux natively and he rolls his eyes and calls you an idiot.

O'Brien got hosed by being good at his previous job and getting posted to a much shittier place and forced to do a much more terrible job because "He's the best we got"

O'Brien needs to learn how to fuckin skate like a proper enlisted man

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
As the only enlisted man, O'Brian has to do all of the work. That's why he's the best engineer/soldier in the federation.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I just watched that season 1 ep where Wesley takes the test to get into the academy and it involved a bit where he thought the base was on fire and he had to rescue one guy while leaving another to die and drat, trying to become a space janitor requires some serious gumption and know how.

Was that an entrance to regular old StarFleet, or was it a fast-track to the officer's corp? If not, then holy poo poo it must take generations (lol) to staff a starship.

"You all scored super high, and are in the top of your fields. . . you're the cream of the crop. Only going to take one of you though. . . for reasons."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Germstore posted:

Keiko being a hardcore vegetarian in a world where meat doesn't come from animals is just- weird.

she's one crazy domineering waifu

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blistex posted:

Was that an entrance to regular old StarFleet, or was it a fast-track to the officer's corp? If not, then holy poo poo it must take generations (lol) to staff a starship.

"You all scored super high, and are in the top of your fields. . . you're the cream of the crop. Only going to take one of you though. . . for reasons."

The other dude scored slightly higher and got in. Worf gave Wes a chat in the holodeck about how the psych eval was though and he had to face his fears like a warrior. It's was a fun episode, tho, I like seasons 1 and 2 of TNG a bunch, tho it needed to change to survive. Pulaski should have stayed on, tho.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Pulaski was just McCoy: The Next Generation, but still better than Crusher who was beyond boring.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tricky D posted:

Pulaski was just McCoy: The Next Generation

yes, and it was great

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

McCoy was good because you felt he and Spock were at least equal and often Spock came out a slight bit ahead.

Pulaski and Data was like watching a person kick an autistic child

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

shadow puppet of a posted:

"Dramatis Personae" when Sisko becomes a crazy clock maker, is attacked by a rando Bajoran sent by Kira and O'Brien's first instinct is to backhand Dax.

Yeah, Season 1 of DS9 really sucks.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tricky D posted:

Pulaski was just McCoy: The Next Generation, but still better than Crusher who was beyond boring.

She also served on the old Enterprise

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

oldpainless posted:

Pulaski and Data was like watching a person kick an autistic child

It was amusing to me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It was amusing to me

I agree

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Hey I'm not saying he sucks, just that the only mass killing he was responsible for was eating five pounds of shrimp at Quarks every day.

Quarks is like a Hooters taken up a notch with gambling and holo-suites.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 22, 2022

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Pulaski had more to her than Crusher did. Crusher was a bland character.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Those early backdrops were such crap.

Set Dresser - "Uhhhhh.... just throw up a sheet and a gradient light on it."

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Those early backdrops were such crap.

Set Dresser - "Uhhhhh.... just throw up a sheet and a gradient light on it."

worked for 3 years of tos

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

She also served on the old Enterprise

:captainpop:

Doctor Doctor gimme the news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hector Beerlioz posted:

worked for 3 years of tos

That's because a sheet and a light was high loving technology back during TOS.