Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

greatn posted:

Why don't they just write Superboy Prime to become editor at Marvel and take out their competition?

Nah. The character has a hate Boner and was shown to read every DC comic and post Angry messages on the DC boards. He is a satire of the petulant man child comic fan. Of course his natural evolution would have been to petulant man child writer at DC who makes the DCU HIS way.

Edit: this would be too self aware for Geoff Johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greatn posted:

Why don't they just write Superboy Prime to become editor at Marvel and take out their competition?

Because Geoff Johns and Dan Didio are the heads of DC, not Grant Morrison, so Kaos Magik spells don't work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Hal Jordan is a dumb character and I can't muster the care to give a gently caress about his continuity. That is how I handle his New 52 issues.

You should have read the first 6 or so of his Nu52 series as it was basically Sinestro calling out Jordan on being a complete tool and a failure of a human being for 6 issues. It was pretty great.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I had to Google what the gently caress "DCYou" is and I still don't know.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PoshAlligator posted:

I had to Google what the gently caress "DCYou" is and I still don't know.

It was a branding and editorial edict that DC books should focus more on good storytelling than devotion to canon and history, and that they should, occasionally, write for and market to people who are not 40-something white straight men.

It was widely praised by readers and so of course it was dropped.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wasn't it a gigantic commercial failure?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Wasn't it a gigantic commercial failure?
The relaunched stuff (Batman, Superman, Batgirl) seemed to at least do no worse than before, but yeah, the new stuff (Prez, Omega Men) were pretty bad sellers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Miller and Romita Discuss the death of Jason Todd in DKR: The Last Crusade

quote:

IGN: What's it been like for you to finally flesh out Jason, explore his character in this world, and show readers his aggressive personality and a tendency toward violence?

Miller: Well, Jason would naturally be very aggressive, because -- you know, Dick Grayson grew up in the shadow of Batman. Poor Jason's growing up in the shadow of Dick Grayson. This kid had a lot to prove. You'll see in my All-Star Batman how I showed Dick Grayson started out as pretty reckless and dangerous -- and Jason even more so. There's no reason he wouldn't be a touch unstable. There had to be something that made Batman quit, and I think this story could continue to answer that question.

IGN: John, for you, what was it like bringing this version of Jason Todd to life?

Romita: I had to use reference of previous versions. Honestly, I just took a couple of images I had seen that were sent to me, and because of reading the story, Frank and Brian's story, I just added a couple of subtleties. But there wasn't much I could do on my own, because the character had existed previously and because of what happened in Dark Knight Returns. So there's not a whole lot I could do with that visual character.

But, because of what literally happens to the character, you can add to expressions and moods and themes because of that. It plays itself out, especially with the character.

Now, the other stuff, the reactions from everybody around him, that's probably as good as if not better than the story of Jason himself. That's what's great about it. The whole story is brilliant.

Miller: The other thing -- I found this out, also -- back when I did Elektra, there's a particularly haunting, strange thing about writing a character that you know is doomed. It gives the writer, any artist, certain advantages you otherwise wouldn't have, certain things you can foreshadow, and there are certain risks you can take. So it's a very different position to be in.

Romita: There's another part of this that needs to be said about Frank's storytelling that hearkens back to both of our childhoods and watching film: the subtleties of the discretionary violence, in that you don't literally show -- you allow your imagination to run wild with what happens. You can just get a screen from a doorway that would give you nightmares. Whereas if you watch what actually happens it won't be as bad. There's some of that in this. Your imagination will run wild in what happens, but you do know what happens. That's brilliant, cinematic storytelling, and that's what you get out of this.

Miller: And anything that involves Joker, you often don't want to see what's going on.

Romita: [Laughs] It's true!

I actually had forgotten about this one. Reading through the preview pages, I couldn't help but to think about Kick-rear end. The tone feels similar.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Why can't we have good stories and books with the rich history?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They gave it like two months before declaring it a massive failure. They expected since they had a few books starring young people and/or minorities everything should have been doing Batgirl numbers right out of the gate. When Dr. Fate didn't get that kind of heat behind it they checked out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Miller and Romita Discuss the death of Jason Todd in DKR: The Last Crusade

I actually had forgotten about this one. Reading through the preview pages, I couldn't help but to think about Kick-rear end. The tone feels similar.

Do you have any opinions on anything non Jason Todd related?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Do you have any opinions on anything non Jason Todd related?
He has plenty. They're usually "it's bad" though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

At this point DC's canon is both its biggest strength and weakness. There's so much of it, and so much of it is actively contradictory that unless one utilizes something like Hypertime (which is basically a Morrison-only idea at this point) the sheer amount of canon is downright paralyzing. You can even see it with all the various Crises that DC does; outside of Identity they're all corrective actions meant to explain or justify certain sticky points of the canon/fold in out-of-canon acquisitions like Wildstorm or Vertigo or whatever. It's largely from DC trying to create one universe much like the 616 Marvel was built on, even though as soon as Barry Allen was created it just doesn't really work without needlessly complicating the backstory.

DCYou was not only a good idea, it's really the only realistic way to treat how complicated the larger DC comics universe has become. It should embrace the fact that it's a company founded on Legacy and stop trying to be Marvel. But, well.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 7, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

He has plenty. They're usually "it's bad" though.

I haven't seen any expect, "please notice me Jason Todd."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The point that DC editors and DC readers need to learn is that it doesn't matter if things are contradictory as long as it's a good story. Marvel doesn't worry about if a story they're writing today clashes with some random poo poo in the '80s and that's the way it should be. Continuity can be a fun part of comics, but just concentrate on writing good stories and I won't care if you want to do something that clashes with the past.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

You can. But apparently people come in and say "hey I want to write a story about batgirl being Barbara Gordon living in Brooklyn" and the default answer was "no, she's paralyzed and oracle and you cant" and DCYou changed that answer to "awesome, go for it".

However, Batgirl was the only book they had that was both a good idea and popular, and they used the failure of weak/less popular ideas as proof that readers were not interested in such things at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Er, the only thing DCYou changed about Batgirl was her costume and which neighborhood she lived in. She's been Barbara Gordon since the start of the New 52.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batgirl was already not Oracle and not paralyzed, though, she was wasting away in a Gail Simone book nobody was reading. Tarr and Stewart's revised and incredibly popular Batgirl actually predated DC You, for that matter. I think it was the success of that book that made DC briefly want to sell comics to young people again, hence DC You.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

X-O posted:

The point that DC editors and DC readers need to learn is that it doesn't matter if things are contradictory as long as it's a good story. Marvel doesn't worry about if a story they're writing today clashes with some random poo poo in the '80s and that's the way it should be. Continuity can be a fun part of comics, but just concentrate on writing good stories and I won't care if you want to do something that clashes with the past.

Yeah I agree with this. I think one of the biggest problems they have is DC is constantly tinkering with origins or introducing a 7th robin when nobody ages past 35.

Toxxupation posted:

At this point DC's canon is both its biggest strength and weakness. There's so much of it, and so much of it is actively contradictory that unless one utilizes something like Hypertime (which is basically a Morrison-only idea at this point) the sheer amount of canon is downright paralyzing. You can even see it with all the various Crises that DC does; outside of Identity they're all corrective actions meant to explain or justify certain sticky points of the canon/fold in out-of-canon acquisitions like Wildstorm or Vertigo or whatever. It's largely from DC trying to create one universe much like the 616 Marvel was built on, even though as soon as Barry Allen was created it just doesn't really work without needlessly complicating the backstory.

DCYou was not only a good idea, it's really the only realistic way to treat how complicated the larger DC comics universe has become. It should embrace the fact that it's a company founded on Legacy and stop trying to be Marvel. But, well.

The biggest problem with the sheer amount of canon is accessibility. It is both expensive and a pain to track down individual back issues digitally or psychically. Fix this and it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Hypertime is Waid's baby. :flashfact:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah a DC Unlimited would go a long way towards blunting people's arguments against DCs universe being confusing and hard to follow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

It was a branding and editorial edict that DC books should focus more on good storytelling than devotion to canon and history, and that they should, occasionally, write for and market to people who are not 40-something white straight men.

It was widely praised by readers and so of course it was dropped.

I thought it was critically acclaimed but as far as readership went, it was a dud.

However,

Travis343 posted:

They gave it like two months before declaring it a massive failure. They expected since they had a few books starring young people and/or minorities everything should have been doing Batgirl numbers right out of the gate. When Dr. Fate didn't get that kind of heat behind it they checked out.

the fact that they didn't wait to see how trade sales were (especially on titles that pretty much sell better in trade format than single) was one of the dumbest thing DC did. They should have waited until the first trade of the series came out before deciding what to do with the titles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I have also heard that DC does not care about digital sales which is real stupid

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really liked Midnighter and Black Canary from the DCYou lineup. Didn't really care for the rest of the line. I was really excited about Prez but ended up not liking it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah a DC Unlimited would go a long way towards blunting people's arguments against DCs universe being confusing and hard to follow.

Sorry, Marvel did it. So they can't. See also: Recap Pages.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I've also heard good things about Constantine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For me Prez was the standout which definitely had no chance, though it was nice to see DC try something outside of the regular superhero stuff, something they haven't done since the 90's.
Black Canary started off fun and with lots of promise but it fizzled at the end.
I am tradewaiting Omega Men and Midnighter and Dr. Fate though so I guess I am partially to blame for those not being higher sellers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

bobkatt013 posted:

I have also heard that DC does not care about digital sales which is real stupid

Like Madkal says they don't even wait for trade sales. poo poo they don't even put out trades for entire runs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Hypertime is Waid's baby. :flashfact:

Didn't Karl Kesel do more wth it in Superboy than Waid ever got the chance to do himself?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

To be fair, they let all the new books other than Doomed run their course*
As long as they're not obviously chopped off prematurely, I don't mind 12 issue runs in the face of stuff like Johns' Superman and Ellis' Moon Knight.

Also, maybe it was me getting back into comics with Morrison's Batman and Final Crisis, but I find the convoluted and goofy histories of decades old characters to be a ton of fun.

*Unless we can counting DC You JLU. I'm steamed at that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 7, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've also heard good things about Constantine.
Constantine was one of my favorites of the DCYou books. Also enjoyed Midnighter, Omega Men and Prez a lot. Martain Manhunter was interesting, but felt a little confusing with its story. Dr. Fate had amazing art, but the writing in the flood plot was just so disjointed and the character constantly changed his mind about being Dr. Fate that I checked out.

Black Canary was good in its first arc and then it kind of collapsed onto itself after. The whole "Dinah touring with a band" just didn't have any good buildup, issue 7 and onward had a weird plot, and the supporting characters were pretty bland with the exception of the main antagonist. Annie Wu's art was the best part about it, but then she left interior duties so I dropped it after.

I think DCYou was good in concept, but bad in execution. I think them relaunching everything and starting fresh is a good tactic, as well as changing creative teams on books that have been loving dying for new blood (Wonder Woman and Flash especially needed better teams to handle them and they both look a lot more promising now.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Karl Kesel do more wth it in Superboy than Waid ever got the chance to do himself?

Beats me. I've never had the chance to read Superboy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mad Max Wacky Racers preview.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/06/03/exclusive-dc-preview-wacky-raceland-1/

Except for 'Def Legit' I'm into this. Did I forget that Wacky Race cars talked to each other like Toy Story?

This variant.
:allears:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 7, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, maybe it was me getting back into comics with Morrison's Batman and Final Crisis, but I find the convoluted and goofy histories of decades old characters to be a ton of fun.

I like that stuff too but not nearly as much as Morrison seems to. He's a great writer but he gets so far up his own rear end over how cool Captain Only Appeared In 3 Issues In 1974 is and how much more pure and real an art form it is than anything made after 1990.

DCYou just sort of seemed like DC cargo culting Marvel and Image. Make some minority heroes, get a woman to draw some stuff, and it should instantly be good right? No? Too soon to tell or a woman artist doesn't magically make people write better? Oh well gently caress it, cancel it all, send out a memo to "stop Batgirling" and bring back a guy from the Silver Age instead.

Continue to ignore trades and digital and don't investigate or understand why some groups gravitate towards those mediums. Don't investigate WHY books like USG or Ms. Marvel are popular. Joe Wednesday Warrior will totally be able to support your business model forever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bud, hiring Babs Tarr was a brilliant bit of editorial work. Nothing snide about it.

Also, ask the people who made and enjoyed Angela, Black Knight, Red Wolf or Weirdworld if there's not an equally quick and brutal reaction to monthly sales over there.

e: Moreso. Again, the 'You generally let things ride out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 7, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Joe Wednesday Warrior will totally be able to support your business model forever.

The problem is that DC, being owned by WB, has no motivation to change especially because of the success of Nolan Batman and the relative success of the Snyder movies. Until superhero mvoies stop being sure bets DC will have zero financial incentive to change course, especially when all the DCEU films have been an extension of the "Grim, gritty white men punching each other in the rain" tone that DC Comics has been reveling in (with few exceptions) since Flashpoint.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

The problem is that DC, being owned by WB, has no motivation to change especially because of the success of Nolan Batman and the relative success of the Snyder movies. Until superhero mvoies stop being sure bets DC will have zero financial incentive to change course, especially when all the DCEU films have been an extension of the "Grim, gritty white men punching each other in the rain" tone that DC Comics has been reveling in (with few exceptions) since Flashpoint.

I'm certain that some executive at WB has sat down with Didio or whoever and said "explain to me why Marvel sells twice as much as you and explain to me why you aren't doing whatever that reason is."

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can you guys talk a bit about what DC has been like for the last 10 or so years?

I read a lot of DC when I was a kid, mostly Batman, but I moved to Marvel around the early to mid 2000's. I'm looking to maybe get back into DC but the last time I really felt Batman was No Man's Land. My perception is that all of the "universe explodes, then relaunches" are tiresome. I feel like DC was putting out some really compelling writing from the mid 80's to early 2000's with some great Batman stories like Death in the Family, TDKR, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, Knightfall, No Man's Land. And their Vertigo Imprint was kicking rear end with the likes of Preacher and The Sandman. There was also stuff like The Invisibles and Watchmen. On the other hand, at the time, the only thing I read from Marvel was Spider-Man's Clone Saga, so the contrast at least from my own perspective was pretty stark.

Then Marvel started putting out some big events that piqued my interest because they weren't so black & white. The stories often put heroes at odds with each other due to struggling with moral and ethical questions. Not every story was handled perfectly of course and there were legitimate criticisms, but from my perspective it was compelling reading. I just felt like Marvel started writing more "shades of gray" stories, which I found more interesting. I'd go into more detail but this isn't a marvel thread.

The thing is, I haven't really read a whole lot of DC in the past decade so there's probably a lot of good compelling writing in there. I do remember reading a few great Superman stories. What do you guys think of DC now vs the 90's? What's some good stuff they put out over the last decade?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm certain that some executive at WB has sat down with Didio or whoever and said "explain to me why Marvel sells twice as much as you and explain to me why you aren't doing whatever that reason is."

Dan Didio: "They have Star Wars. We have Wacky Raceland."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're less than a day away from Rucka WW and a possibly good new start for The Flash. Hush now :)

-Blackadder- posted:

What's some good stuff they put out over the last decade?

Grant Morrison's Batman (2006-2013?) and Scott Snyder's Batman (The Black Mirror and 2011 Batman) are stone classics.
Tom King has become a bonifidey new superstar and is taking over Bat. His series Grayson and Omega Men are brilliant (plus Vision over at Marvel, if you haven't checked that out.) There's no comic more ethically blurred than Omega Men.
Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman was huge, and it's on sale now if you do digital https://www.comixology.com/DC-Universe-Rebirth-101-Part-2-Sale/page/11016?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Grant Morrison did a cool new Superman origin at the start of 2011 Action Comics and Greg Pak started doing the best Supes stories in years where this trade picks up http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Acti..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

For non-JL stuff, Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire did a great pair of creepy comics with the New 52 Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

There's a start.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 7, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

We're less than a day away from Rucka WW and a possibly good new start for The Flash. Hush now :)

Both of which I am extremely excited about. I have a Flash tattoo and last weekend spend a few hundred dollars on artist convention sketches of the Flash. I am a 35 year old straight white man.

I tease DC because I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Both Wonder Woman and Flash should be good because there are really good writers involved. Rucka is of course Rucka, and Williamson writes Birthright which is one of my favorite Image books in addition to doing really good work on Illuminati (RIP), Ghosted, and Nailbiter. That plus Action Comics and Detective Comics means a good day for DC books tomorrow. There's also Aquaman, proving that they can't all be winners I guess.