Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Can't say I've personally encountered anyone who I would've suspected of cheating in my ~65 hours of playtime so far.

And people cheat in non-competitive because it makes them feel powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ddraig posted:

Hacking is quite easy to detect if you know what to look for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQkJGc7APA

This is for TF2 but the general principle applies to most hacks seeing as how they usually plug directly into the rendering pipeline.

Also snipers in competitive scenes are under increased scrutiny seeing as how it turns out a significant proportion of comp snipers were straight up aimbotting and got banned for it.

These videos are neat, thanks. This guy has a soothing rear end voice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

professional overwatch is very impressive to watch

This is dope, I wish you could keep it going for an extended amount of time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Thanks to whoever mentioned you can charge Symmetra's beam on Mei's ice wall. Had a Mei on Anubis try to block out counter-push, and I turned her and her Reinhardt buddy to ash as soon as the wall fell.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kanfy posted:

And people cheat in non-competitive because it makes them feel powerful.

But it's the opposite of powerful. It means you're so weak you need a program guiding your hand to achieve success. It's so sad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zzulu posted:

But it's the opposite of powerful. It means you're so weak you need a program guiding your hand to achieve success. It's so sad

are you just going to ignore the people who gave you answers you disagreed with or what

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zzulu posted:

Hot take.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lady Naga posted:

Apparently a new update hit and it made the AFK detection even stricter to the point where people are getting kicked for playing bastion :laffo:

clearly a bug, it was meant to kick widowmaker pickers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minrad posted:

seems to be a few heroes the pros gravitate to when they solo queue...

What site is this?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lady Naga posted:

Apparently a new update hit and it made the AFK detection even stricter to the point where people are getting kicked for playing bastion :laffo:

good

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

teagone posted:

What site is this?

masteroverwatch.com

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Countblanc posted:

are you just going to ignore the people who gave you answers you disagreed with or what

What did I Ignore? I'm just calling cheaters pathetic losers, because they are

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zzulu posted:

What did I Ignore? I'm just calling cheaters pathetic losers, because they are

I'm sure they're very upset.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lady Naga posted:

masteroverwatch.com

Oh I didn't realize they had an ESPORTS section.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got a friend who plays a lot less and sometimes I run with him and his newer friends and noob-wrangle some victories. Felt really good when we were pushing Hollywood and the enemy team went 4 Bastions. I kept us on mic, calling out locations, and we picked them off with Hanzos and 76s and crushed. Enemy team tried attacking with Reinhardts. I was Roadhog and called a couple other good counterpicks and we crushed that.

On the other hand, people were slower to take advice on Nepal and we spiked a lot of time before finally fighting to 99/99 on match point in Shrine. Friendly Hanzo is standing 5 feet off the point. We just need him to refresh the timer.

"Stand on the point."
Stays 5 feet off.
"Stand on the point."
"Stand on the point."
"Stand on the point."

And then we lose.

I got 52 goddamn elims that match and it wasn't enough to carry because one guy can't figure out standing in a square.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lady Naga posted:

I'm sure they're very upset.

:chloe:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's baffling to me how many people don't seem to understand the concept of standing in the point/staying near the payload. Blizzard even made it so the payload moves faster if you have more people near it and it makes for good cover and everyone still wants to chill 10 metres back.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got 52 goddamn elims that match and it wasn't enough to carry because one guy can't figure out standing in a square.

I see this a ton. Some dude staring at the point that he needs to stand on from just out of reach and not moving. Also people backing away from the payload as the enemy pushes it to the goal, allowing it to roll in uncontested.

Here's a fun statistical anomaly I haven't been able to explain: I've been keeping track for a while now, and I have less than a 10% win rate on Ilios.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zzulu posted:

some people are dumb

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's baffling to me how many people don't seem to understand the concept of standing in the point/staying near the payload. Blizzard even made it so the payload moves faster if you have more people near it and it makes for good cover and everyone still wants to chill 10 metres back.

I play tank a lot on attack since people generally want to play something else. I'm dumbfounded at the number of times I've run up and gotten ready to push in and then realized everyone scattered. I guess it's no less surprising than watching a team feed themselves into the enemy team one at a time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Triarii posted:

I see this a ton. Some dude staring at the point that he needs to stand on from just out of reach and not moving. Also people backing away from the payload as the enemy pushes it to the goal, allowing it to roll in uncontested.

Here's a fun statistical anomaly I haven't been able to explain: I've been keeping track for a while now, and I have less than a 10% win rate on Ilios.

I had an Anubis attack yesterday where time is running down, I'm Mercy running down a side route towards the point with Widow in front of me with like 5 seconds left, and instead of going in there to trigger overtime she stops just outside the point. So it's just me and my pistol rushing the point to force overtime. Thanks, Widow.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I keep spy checking :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

awesmoe posted:

I've been on enough bad teams that get owned by a Winston, Genji, or Tracer getting behind them and refusing to turn around that this isn't really the worst impulse

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

you people are expecting people to care about winning/losing. most players do not give a poo poo about who wins the match, they only care about their own performance. there is a reason team deathmatch is always the most popular game mode in every fps.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I know goons are anti social but you guys know that you can just ask your group to back out for a minute so you don't have to drink your own piss

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

pakman posted:

I really hate the inactivity detection. Sometimes i like to get up and use the washroom and a new match starts and i get kicked from the group I'm in. Or i like to get up and grab a drink between rounds.

I guess the solution is to get a jug to piss in and then drink my piss or just leave all groups and games if i want to step away for a literal minute.

They really should add some leniency to the afk check if you're in a group. When you play with 6 people, inevitably someone will get up to go to the bathroom, get afk booted and then the other 5 need to quit out because some random guy got the open slot.

As for capping the point. I had a friend playing d.va with full hp who was just shooting at the general direction of our last point while we were defending. He just sat there shooting and watched time tick down instead of rushing the point and sending the game to overtime.

When I called this out he responded "what, did you want me to just die?"

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Triarii posted:

I am awful on Ilios and I don't know why. Especially the map that has the arena quarry kill zone. One team is getting stomped, and it's probably my team.

awesmoe posted:

I'm not this bad yet, but I do keep having to remind myself their aren't any Spies in this game waiting to backstab me. Only Tracer.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 7, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Rufio posted:

I know goons are anti social but you guys know that you can just ask your group to back out for a minute so you don't have to drink your own piss

dont you judge how i live my life

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

awesmoe posted:

Well you never know when a Tracer is lurking behind the corner.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Deep Winter posted:

I am awful on Ilios and I don't know why. Especially the map that has the arena quarry kill zone. One team is getting stomped, and it's probably my team.

Yep, same here - in the time I've been keeping track, I have not once won on the ruins map.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I just want an option to turn off AFK detection // disconnected player replacement for when I'm playing in a full stack.

Have it be something like "Your teammate is AFK / disconnected. Kick and replace? Y/N" for the team leader.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Countblanc posted:

i would hardly call it absurd, they're entertainers providing a service. no one is earning The Big Bucks playing competitive games outside of maybe like LoL and even then "big bucks" is pretty fuckin relative

http://www.esportsearnings.com/

What? I mean, yeah, it's not CEO money or anything, but some of those guys make some serious cash.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A few nights ago we went like 4 or 5 matches in a row against the same group; first round they won (Dorado defense) and a dude called "FARTDAWG" or something like that started talking poo poo.

Every round after that we crushed them, particularly because they never contested the payload. At least 3 or 4 times we would be reaching a checkpoint and they'd have a Bastion or a Torb off to a side of the point and someone from out team would just be walking alongside the payload using it for cover, or just capping a point while they took potshots from outside.

They eventually wised up and began putting their Bastion in the point, but by then we were already steamrolling them (all the time making fun of FARTDAWG because he kept dying and being useless) and they ended up ragequitting.

It was a fun night. :D

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kamikaze Raider posted:

http://www.esportsearnings.com/

What? I mean, yeah, it's not CEO money or anything, but some of those guys make some serious cash.

DOTA prize money is deceptively high since the prize pools have to be split between the players, management, coaches, etc. Not to mention taxes and the fact that these players aren't salaried means that prize money is their only income. I'm not 100% sure it's the same for other esports but I'm almost certain League is the only franchised esport at the time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Edmond Dantes posted:

A few nights ago we went like 4 or 5 matches in a row against the same group; first round they won (Dorado defense) and a dude called "FARTDAWG" or something like that started talking poo poo.

Every round after that we crushed them, particularly because they never contested the payload. At least 3 or 4 times we would be reaching a checkpoint and they'd have a Bastion or a Torb off to a side of the point and someone from out team would just be walking alongside the payload using it for cover, or just capping a point while they took potshots from outside.

They eventually wised up and began putting their Bastion in the point, but by then we were already steamrolling them (all the time making fun of FARTDAWG because he kept dying and being useless) and they ended up ragequitting.

It was a fun night. :D

usually its not the other team ragequitting as much as the game doesn't want you farming them for mmr anymore

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zzulu posted:

Ok? That doesn't change that it makes them feel powerful, that's the reason that they do it

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
POTG: McCree has high ground advantage from behind an entire enemy team which is busy pushing the payload the other direction and doesn't know he's there. He pops his ult, hits the trigger too quickly, killing nobody, then desperately manages to flashbang hammer the enemy Zenyatta and immediately dies.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Most of the major money is in streaming/merchandising, anyways. The guys making hundreds of thousands off of League of Legends are people like qtpie who have long since retired from the professional scene (or never even joined it, like Nightblue) and just host amusing streams where people donate gigantic piles of money to them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

I just want an option to turn off AFK detection // disconnected player replacement for when I'm playing in a full stack.

Have it be something like "Your teammate is AFK / disconnected. Kick and replace? Y/N" for the team leader.

it would be nice if it didn't kick you after like one minutes but I understand why they do it that way

rounds don't last long in overwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Snazzy Frocks posted:

usually its not the other team ragequitting as much as the game doesn't want you farming them for mmr anymore

A man can dream. :(