Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm cool with those scores.

First fight was a robbery though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

straight up brolic posted:

God drat this dude Artur Beterbiev doesn't give a gently caress. He completely outclassed that shmuck

He's really really good, and it was a gimme fight since he was coming off shoulder surgery. He's a bad man regardless.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

ozymandius1024 posted:

He's really really good, and it was a gimme fight since he was coming off shoulder surgery. He's a bad man regardless.
Hilarious fight to watch. The other guy legitimately just did not want to be in the ring at all.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/WarrenHaughton/status/740183694112100352

Seems like a bad look to have someone who put an experienced professional into a coma fighting basically kids

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/WarrenHaughton/status/740183694112100352

Seems like a bad look to have someone who put an experienced professional into a coma fighting basically kids
probably not going to happen

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10306754/chris-eubank-jr-denied-place-in-team-gb-for-rio-olympics

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
An established pro going to the Olympics seems pretty lose/lose to me. If you win a gold medal, people assume you should have won it anyway, and I don't know how much it improves your stock on the professional scene. If you lose, which is entirely possible as three round point fighting is much different to pro boxing, you look pretty bad. I guess it could get you an endorsement deal at best? Ultimately it seems pretty risky to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's mean spirited too, in my opinion. They're amateurs for a reason and the Olympics is the big thing for amateur boxers. It's kind of like you're denying people a chance just because it's easy for you.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Maybe he thinks he can convince GGG that he can win the gold medals if he fights him. Try and trick him into thinking it is a unification fight?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I feel like effortposting maybe in a dedicated boxing thread if there's a summer games subforum but overall while I'm not totally opposed to pros competing it must be severely limited (top contenders like Eubank Jr. And even fringe guys like Ndam Njikam shouldn't be allowed) and I'm glad many of the national federations are willing to reject pro applications. But I worry less about the ability of the British team to do this as opposed to Cameroon.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 7, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
sometimes when i am bored i play madden i put it on the easiest mode and turn the other team's AI down and win 352-0.

maybe thats what he is doing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Team GB said as soon as the decision was made they weren't taking pros. get the feeling eubank made the decision regardless of what jr wanted

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think pros mercilessly beating amateurs is good, and amateurs upsetting pros and making the pros look like idiots is great

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

An established pro going to the Olympics seems pretty lose/lose to me. If you win a gold medal, people assume you should have won it anyway, and I don't know how much it improves your stock on the professional scene. If you lose, which is entirely possible as three round point fighting is much different to pro boxing, you look pretty bad. I guess it could get you an endorsement deal at best? Ultimately it seems pretty risky to me.

I think there is something of a human aspect at play here too. As in there are some people would really like to win a gold medal for their country even if there's a risk it fucks up their professional life. It's probably not smart of the people we're thinking about, but it could still be there.

Not that it matters since it sounds like Eubank won't happen.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The only pro of note I've heard that seems to actually be competing is Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, the French-by-way-of-Cameroon middleweight contender who's lost to David Lemieux and Peter Quillin. N'Jikam is a chinny, technically strong middleweight who's style should lend itself to amateur success.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

david carmichael posted:

I think pros mercilessly beating amateurs is good, and amateurs upsetting pros and making the pros look like idiots is great

Same.

I think Orlando Salido should compete in the Olympics so he can mercilessly foul another Olympic gold medalist.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
WBO cruiserweight titlist and arguable best cruiserweight right now Krzysztof Glowacki has signed to fight his mandatory challenger Olexandr Usyk, who's the potential GGG/Kovalev of the cruiserweight division. Fight is happening in September, and was on my list of the 10 best fights that could be made in boxing for this year. Mark that one down in your calendars.

With Beibut Shumenov and Tony Bellew just winning titles at cruiserweight, and guys like Dennis Lebedev and Marco Huck still around (Lebedev is Super WBA/IBF unified champ), the cruiserweight division has quietly gotten interesting. Yunier Dorticos, Murat Gassiev, and Mairis Briedis are also up and coming cruiserweights to watch.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Not content with just calling out Mayweather, Broner has kidnapped his bff Justin Beiber :oh dear:

https://twitter.com/Rafeboogs/status/741003739138400257

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

I feel like effortposting maybe in a dedicated boxing thread if there's a summer games subforum but overall while I'm not totally opposed to pros competing it must be severely limited (top contenders like Eubank Jr. And even fringe guys like Ndam Njikam shouldn't be allowed) and I'm glad many of the national federations are willing to reject pro applications. But I worry less about the ability of the British team to do this as opposed to Cameroon.

I think the main issue will be pro boxers in their early careers from countries like US, UK etc who can qualify to compete for other countries. It's a no lose situation for all involved - someone trying to make his way in the pro ranks gets the chance for an Olympic medal to raise his profile, some random country gets the chance of an Olympic medal for no effort.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lomachenko vs martinez should be good on the morrow lads

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Molina / Provodnikov is tomorrow as well. Ought to be a great night.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So now that the replacement fight has been announced, what's the take on Wilder-Arreola? Seems just like something to keep conditioning up and the money moving, but I haven't seen Arreola fight, I dunno how lopsided a match it is.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Arreola is fat

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Re: Ali's funeral

https://twitter.com/RonFunches/status/741391296061788161

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lol at the idea of floyd dying rich

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Allen Wren posted:

So now that the replacement fight has been announced, what's the take on Wilder-Arreola? Seems just like something to keep conditioning up and the money moving, but I haven't seen Arreola fight, I dunno how lopsided a match it is.

It's terrible and Arreola hasn't had a legit win since Seth Mitchell but even I-the ultimate PBC/Al Haymon hater-have to place the blame on Povetkin for pissing hot.

Also, I'm not sure why some people would consider Rocky Martinez-Lomachenko a tossup. Martinez is a solid guy but doesn't have a win over a top tier fighter. If Lomachenko is really as special as he appears than imo he should have no trouble soundly beating Martinez.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 11, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

feel like you missed a few words there but I agree with it

Wilder's been doing this thing where he uses bad scheduling decisions to justify lower quality fights as late notice, but this one was really entirely beyond his control.

E: Loma's one of those fighter who is so skilled he's going to have trouble finding matchups people don't dismiss as mismatches.

I think he should fight Vargas though, that'd be cool.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Andrade currently dominating Willie Nelson through 5 rounds.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Andrade currently dominating Willie Nelson through 5 rounds.

Of course he is, Willie's like 90 years old and constantly baked out of his gourd

e: Nelson should fight Isaiah Thomas and REALLY confuse people.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hopefully Peter Nelson told Arum that if Verdejo doesn't crush this dude that he's banished from HBO for at least a year

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2016

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Felix Verdejo certainly isn't the next Puerto Rican phenom people thought he could be.

edit: of course i say this and he finally picks up a stoppage seconds later. still didn't think he looked that impressive

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Felix Verdejo certainly isn't the next Puerto Rican phenom people thought he could be.

He'll be back on premium cable at least though. Wanna see him against someone other than a limited come forward fighter though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wow. You couldn't tell from that fight, but Willie Nelson is a good fighter. His 2 losses were very close decisions to Vincent Arroyo and Vanes Martirosyan, and at 6'3, he's an absolutely massive junior middleweight. And Andrade absolutely dominated him.

I've said this for awhile, but Andrade is the only guy from 154-160 who could possibly beat Gennady Golovkin. At 6'1 himself, he has the size and frame to comfortably move up to 160.

At 154, I'd take Andrade over Alvarez, Lara, either Charlo brother... anyone at 154. Just too good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rocky Martinez really does have the face of an alien.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
oh man...do i watch Provo or Loma? help me out

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lomachenko is a beautiful fighter. No wasted movements, perfect technique. Robotic, but very fluid.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Good lord Lomachenko is capable of huge knockouts on top of his skills :wow:

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
that was amazing

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lomachenko should be on everyone's top 10 P4P list. Just a beast.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What US channel is/was the Lomachenko fight on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What US channel is/was the Lomachenko fight on?

HBO.

• Locked thread