Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Shillary posted:

Yeah, he is probably one of the most fashionable people on earth.

Hey this is only tangentially related and a rude as gently caress question, but what happened that you stopped being such a huge transphobe all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He went to prom as a white batman. Jaden gets a free pass for life.

Which is immediately negated by After Earth.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

for a movie that takes place in Winnipeg there isn't enough racism against Aborigninals or Weakerthans in the sound track.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Plz don't troll re: liking Jaden Smith you are activating my Old Man Tendencies

Why would you give a drat whether people like jaden smith or not?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nevermind Weakerthans, the soundtrack should just be Guess Who / BTO. Maybe end on a Fred Penner song.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
£97 opening weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZ7CYBDgPY

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a two minute unskippable ad for whatever that link is. I am not okay with this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

loving hell
http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/anthony-hopkins-al-pacino-movie-bombs-british-box-office-1201790546/

quote:

The movie was shown at only five locations in Britain, in theaters belonging to the Reel Cinemas chain. Even so, its takings averaged less than $30 per moviehouse, which translates to only three or four viewers at each of the five cinemas throughout the course of the entire weekend. The movie now appears to have been yanked from Reel Cinemas’ lineup.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

There's a two minute unskippable ad for whatever that link is. I am not okay with this.

I didn't see any ads but I have uBlock Origin installed like a sane person.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dillbag posted:

I didn't see any ads but I have uBlock Origin installed like a sane person.

Mobile.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oh ya that sucks. I try to leave the big youtube threads alone until I'm at my desktop.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9emLcjMOk

Main thing I'm getting from this trailer is that they could only get an insanely low number of good standups for their standup documentary

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9emLcjMOk

Main thing I'm getting from this trailer is that they could only get an insanely low number of good standups for their standup documentary

I wonder how much time they'll spend trying to link this to Lenny Bruce going to jail for obscenity or whatever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wonder how much time they'll spend trying to link this to Lenny Bruce going to jail for obscenity or whatever.

It seems weird to me that they both bring that up in the trailer & have quotes from people saying that people have gotten soft recently/this is an important film for now. I guess the argument is like "Comedians' job has always been to push boundaries and it's wrong to punish them for doing so". But it's also goofy to act as if this is worse now if ur using that example

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

It seems weird to me that they both bring that up in the trailer & have quotes from people saying that people have gotten soft recently/this is an important film for now. I guess the argument is like "Comedians' job has always been to push boundaries and it's wrong to punish them for doing so". But it's also goofy to act as if this is worse now if ur using that example

Exactly. It's literally what they're accusing audiences of, being oversensitive and needing safe spaces. If your problem is that society is too uptight, you're either a teenager or you don't have real problems.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With this type of thing I can appreciate where comedians are coming from but at the same time I feel they always make themselves oddly blameless. Like, I think it was Daniel Tosh of all people that pretty much said that his job was to tell jokes that offend people and it'd be pretty dumb if he got all up in arms when people actually got offended. Like, yes, push boundaries and do what you want people will get pissed. I mean in the trailer someone says "if you get easily offended, don't go to a comedy show" but at the same time if you can't take people being mad at you for being offensive, don't be a comedian, or at least don't be that kind of comedian.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You can usually tell how good a comedian is by how much they complain about sensitive people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of Seinfeld complaining about how he can't play colleges anymore because his friends told him it was bad and that crowd was too sensitive and like gently caress you Jerry. You ain't never offended anybody with one of your jokes in your entire life and even if that weren't true, College kids can't afford your ticket prices which is the reason you were complaining third hand rather than because of experience anyways.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
See also: comedians who can never shut up about hecklers. Yes heckling is awful but god drat it you don't need to bring it up constantly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

That reminds me of Seinfeld complaining about how he can't play colleges anymore because his friends told him it was bad and that crowd was too sensitive and like gently caress you Jerry. You ain't never offended anybody with one of your jokes in your entire life and even if that weren't true, College kids can't afford your ticket prices which is the reason you were complaining third hand rather than because of experience anyways.

Yeah, exactly. You're a loving billionaire not some culture warrior. Go swim in your pool and bang your 17 year old girlfriend if times are so tough.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I don't think he's ever played colleges, there's no "because" there. He just said "that's what people tell me" on a radio show.

You might be thinking of Chris Rock:

quote:

“I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative,” Rock said in the interview. “Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of ‘We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.’ Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say ‘the black kid over there.’ No, it’s ‘the guy with the red shoes.’ You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axleblaze posted:

You ain't never offended anybody with one of your jokes in your entire life

He was a prick to pretty much the entire staff at my hotel when I was working there. Had an entourage of like ten people, too, and I'm like, "Dude, you haven't been culturally relevant in almost two decades, what the hell?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh, Seinfeld is apparently culturally relevant still but not in the way you think.

quote:

There's a fantastic energy now for some reason, on the Internet particularly. Tumblr, people brought my attention to. I actually did consider it, but then I realized it would make Bee Movie 1 less iconic. But my kids want me to do it; a lot of people want me to do it. A lot of people that don't know what animation is want me to do it. If you have any idea what animation is, you'd never do it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought that web series he had was supposed to be pretty popular

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Stand up comedians take their craft way too seriously.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yaws posted:

Because it's really loving hard to put together a 5 minute bit let alone 1+ hours of things to make people laugh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

axleblaze posted:

I thought that web series he had was supposed to be pretty popular

It is great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Edit: oops wrong thread

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

It is great.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? It's awesome, except for the Miranda Sings episode. I don't know what the gently caress he sees in that youtube "comedienne". I'm all for awkward schadenfreude-y comedy, but her content is loving unwatchable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Yaws posted:

They should. Taking comedy seriously is good and cool. Not taking it seriously is how you get *shudders* college improv groups *shudders*

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have no problem with them taking their craft seriously but like any artist they look like big babies when they whine about people not getting their art.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

They should. Taking comedy seriously is good and cool. Not taking it seriously is how you get *shudders* college improv groups *shudders*

Speaking of improv in the trailer thread, here's Mike Birbiglia's improv/SNL movie trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFTpObS95U

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hat Thoughts posted:

Speaking of improv in the trailer thread, here's Mike Birbiglia's improv/SNL movie trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFTpObS95U

oh my god, chris gethard is in this?

on one hand it looks like it could be good cause the cast, and like a lot of them are really good improvisers, but on the other hand i just not sure about how they're presenting it.

Someone needs to make an improv movie about the cultish behavior in some schools/groups.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
New Netflix show: Stranger Things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

I liked Super 8 but felt it fell a bit flat in the end... hopefully this doesn't let me down.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

extremely NSFW teaser for The Greasy Strangler. I have no idea what this will end up actually being, but it seems to have a John Waters vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3C3ceUYXRY

quote:

“The Los Angeles-set tale follows Ronnie, a man who runs a Disco Walking tour along with his browbeaten son, Brayden. When a sexy, alluring woman comes to take the tour, it begins a competition between father and son for her attentions. It also signals the appearance of an oily, slimy inhuman maniac who stalks the streets at night and strangles the innocent, soon dubbed ‘The Greasy Strangler.’”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BonoMan posted:

New Netflix show: Stranger Things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

I liked Super 8 but felt it fell a bit flat in the end... hopefully this doesn't let me down.

I'm there that is right up my 80s nostalgia alley.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I heard mostly good things about The Greasy Strangler at Sundance for what it's worth

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PBS Newshour posted:

Yes, and...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I managed a THeater that had a improv school and it's as insane as you would think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

You can usually tell how good a comedian is by how much they complain about sensitive people.

Carlin complained about sensitive people a lot and was like one of the top 3 stand-up comedians ever so I'm not sure this theory holds water.

• Locked thread