Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rakthar posted:

Have you seen the videos where two casts of spirit leech basically wreck any single model unit? I'm not disagreeing that there's counters to everything, but if it's some poo poo like "Bring your Lord anywhere close to the battle and RIP" then that seems kinda dumb.

Incidentally if you aren't using spirit leech on enemy heroes / Lords in the campaign, you should be. Because lmao.

There are items that provide magic resistance and ward saves though. So, yeah, you can mitigate spirit leech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Murgos posted:

There are items that provide magic resistance and ward saves though. So, yeah, you can mitigate spirit leech.

It costs like 8? mana and has a 20 second cooldown and takes off about half the enemies health. With a 50% ward save you might have to cast it an additional time.

There is no equipment in multiplayer, so I'm not sure how this fixes the part that annoys peole. The complaint is "Hey there's all these neat lords and units and poo poo but then my lord gets sniped right away ruining the battle."

That doesn't seem like compelling gameplay to me. You're welcome to find that exciting I guess.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As the Greenskins, what started as a fun campaign for more than 100 turns has become an tedious slog by turn 160.

Playing whack-a-mole with the Empire over more than half the world map just isn't worth it. I find myself auto-resolving every inconsequential fight because I know the settlement I just razed was replaced be two more on the opposite side of the world. I'm mashing the next turn button over and over just to get my units moved where they need to be. I've tried fanning out but then I'm spread too thin and the Bretonian doomstacks home in on me. Early game is fun and intriguing but I suspect late game is like this with every faction, right?

The kicker is I own half the map and I'm swimming in gold, so it's not a question of if I'm going to win but when...and the when seems like dozens and dozens of turns from now. Is the answer to just build more armies? Maybe I just need a break. I've played for hours today doing the same thing over and over.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Rakthar posted:

It costs like 8? mana and has a 20 second cooldown and takes off about half the enemies health. With a 50% ward save you might have to cast it an additional time.

There is no equipment in multiplayer, so I'm not sure how this fixes the part that annoys peole. The complaint is "Hey there's all these neat lords and units and poo poo but then my lord gets sniped right away ruining the battle."

That doesn't seem like compelling gameplay to me. You're welcome to find that exciting I guess.

Yeah, and Spirit Leech could still keep its niche as anti-hero and monster spell while being less effective on Lords. A cheap spell to counter Giants or Steam Tanks or Wights seems like a good niche even if it CAN'T let you solo Karl Franz on Deathclaw

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

Have you seen the videos where two casts of spirit leech basically wreck any single model unit? I'm not disagreeing that there's counters to everything, but if it's some poo poo like "Bring your Lord anywhere close to the battle and RIP" then that seems kinda dumb.

You did not read my post very well. My point was that the solution to "lord sniping is to good" is just "make lord sniping harder", not "make lord death meaningless" as some guy suggested. Not that lord sniping wasn't any problem.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

You did not read my post very well. My point was that the solution to "lord sniping is to good" is just "make lord sniping harder", not "make lord death meaningless" as some guy suggested. Not that lord sniping wasn't any problem.

So the giant IF lord sniping is a problem is not you questioning whether it's a problem, it's just... what? Because my post was explaining that yes, its a problem when you can trivially cast a spell that kills enemy lords.

quote:

Beyond that I think if you find that in MP you're just getting your lord killed all the time leading to army routs then the problem is with your play.

Is it too easy to snipe lords or is it bad play if you get your Lord sniped? What are you actually saying?

I read your post and it seemed like you were saying its not a problem, but if it was you could just slap resist on it. What was I supposed to see that I didn't?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

What was I supposed to see that I didn't?

You are reading the whole thing as a commentary on lord sniping. It isn't. My point was to respond to the guy who though that "make lord death have no effect on morale" was a good idea. Because it's a stupid idea.

I don't give two flying fucks about whether lord sniping is a big problem or not. I'm not commenting on the issue one way or another. But since that is apparently all you want to talk about you are forcing my posts through that filter and that is why you are confused.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I decided to download a magic mod for my Dr Doom empire campaign.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695024040

Holy poo poo get it. I haven't tried it with other factions, but it really is great.
With metal specifically, you can cast super buffs/debuffs, or double cast for a reduction in effectiveness but large increases in range.

The final spell, final transmutation goes from spirit leech levels to taking out a hero and Lord in one overcast (it costs a ton though.
I also like the changes to other empire wizards and magic items. Though the light wizard loses the death beam for a light themed fireball, he can heal your whole army at once and stick a half of theirs in place.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

You are reading the whole thing as a commentary on lord sniping. It isn't. My point was to respond to the guy who though that "make lord death have no effect on morale" was a good idea. Because it's a stupid idea.

I don't give two flying fucks about whether lord sniping is a big problem or not. I'm not commenting on the issue one way or another. But since that is apparently all you want to talk about you are forcing my posts through that filter and that is why you are confused.

The only D&D I wanna see in this thread is Dwarves and Daemons.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Reik posted:

The only D&D I wanna see in this thread is Dwarves and Daemons.

Please respect GW's intellectual properties.

It's "Duardin and Daemons".

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Please respect GW's intellectual properties.

It's "Duardin and Daemons".

brb 3D printing up a bunch of WHFB models.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ps. Iirc that spell mod nerfs spirit leech slightly.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Rakthar posted:

There is no equipment in multiplayer

This bugs the poo poo out of me because THERES A TAB FOR IT. DON'T HAVE UI FOR SOMETHING NOT IN THE GAME.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There was a mod I saw mentioned a million pages ago about removing the AI cheating corruption was it? Something about forcing them to build certain buildings to counteract public order & corruption.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

Ironically I'm actually looking at this the other way around - as a VC player who is doing the hero killing. It's basically impossible to stop me from killing enemy lords/heroes because with micro Mannfred on a flying nightmare can dodge everything, zigzagging dodges all projectiles. I've lost like 7 games out of 70+.

What's really crazy is that I just found out empire light wizards can hero snipe even better because their overcast magic missile has 250 range which is bananas.

That magic missile is unguided and has a travel time though, so not useful for sniping. Unless 'snipe' used here doesn't mean long range.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lunethex posted:

There was a mod I saw mentioned a million pages ago about removing the AI cheating corruption was it? Something about forcing them to build certain buildings to counteract public order & corruption.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691979636

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I haven't seen anything suggesting that the AI cheats corruption. What they cheat is attrition from corruption, with each difficulty level reducing the amount they suffer until you hit legendary which has them only taking 20% of what the player would.

There are several unique buildings that drastically reduce corruption in certain regions and if the AI builds those you'll start losing ground unless you agent damage them. Corruption works on exact ratios so if a building is providing +10 untainted and they have let's say 3 points from elsewhere untainted is now 13. If you also had 13 vampire or chaos acting on the province then you'd have been approaching 81% before they built the building but would gradually drop to 50% afterwards. Higher difficulty levels have the AI setting up buildings faster so perhaps that does allow them to reduce corruption faster, but changing those values would cripple them in so many other ways that it's probably not worth it.

edit: oh, you meant public order maybe? Yeah, AI also gets public order bonuses based on difficulty and the player gets flat penalties.

TaurusTorus posted:

This bugs the poo poo out of me because THERES A TAB FOR IT. DON'T HAVE UI FOR SOMETHING NOT IN THE GAME.

That equipment tab is for siege equipment though. You can select siege gear when you're playing a siege map. Otherwise, agreed that having no lord/hero customization is utter shite. Shogun 2 letting you mess with stats was unbalanced but it was fun and I imagine the amount of people trying to break the game would go down somewhat compared to shogun 2 due to there being less achievements for multiplayer.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there a mod manager or something that can tell me if two mods are conflicting?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Deified Data posted:

As the Greenskins, what started as a fun campaign for more than 100 turns has become an tedious slog by turn 160.

What's kind of amusing is this is describing every total war game to date. Boring in the beginning, fun as you establish yourself then dull as gently caress as the AI simply is not programmed to deal with you even on VR/legendary. The only genuinely challenging campaign out of all the games is Caesar in Gaul, you can be beaten back until you own about 75% of the map. Most Total War games are over once you have less than a third.

The closest CA has come to mitigating this are things like the (accidental) Hojo horde in STW1, civil war (broken and unfulfilling) in Rome, and realm divide is STW2 (kinda worked).

WTW feels like it'll be a decent game in six months to a year as CA patches a whole lot of poorly considered and underdeveloped mechanics.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Also im surprised to see CA still can't make a snow map that isn't blinding. Why in the holy ever living gently caress do they keep using yellow formation displays on white ground ???

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Started a Empire campaign trying to take out the Norscans early on to see if it made things more bearable. It took two dedicated armies from turn 60 to turn 130 to wipe everything out, what a slog. Single armies tend to get crushed so I had to keep them close together. The Northern factions used the reprieve from constant invasions to help me take out the southern settlements wage war on each other, fuckers.

I also didn't make defensive pacts with anyone until the very end, which was a relaxing experience. You don't get dragged into stupid wars with neighbors when you just started your own and if you spam the diplomacy screen at the start you can be friends with basically everyone.

The agent spam works well with Marienburg as well, but by the time it gets ridiculous like this you've already won the game most likely.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should probably just make agent effects not stack except for maybe corruption/order.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

Overall I prefer to field both quarrellers and thunderers as I don't see one as just an upgrade of the other.

Have you tried quarrelers and trollhammers? I find that trollhammers do a thunderer's job much better than a thunderer does. They're more expensive but they have so many advantages that it's definitely worth it. They tear apart armored units much faster, they have a better firing arc, they kick the poo poo out of monsters, and their small size makes them very easily maneuvered and positioned.

albany academy posted:

Whats up with poison attacks? Specifically against high armor dudes/all Dwarves? Night gobs seem cool and stuff but they don't seem particularly effective. Are they for killing other green skins and chaff humans? I imagine they're outright useless against VCs.

The poison debuff is decent (lowers basically all of the target unit's stats by a significant amount), but if you want it, use spider rider archers. The poison and morale hit from being flanked by arrows will put enemy units at a huge disadvantage against your own melee. Night goblins, however, are useless even with fanatics.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 7, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

They should probably just make agent effects not stack except for maybe corruption/order.

They should remove agent functions from the campaign, they're great fun as heroes in battle but tedious as a pc unit and aggravating as an AI unit, and also remove fast march.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ammanas posted:

What's kind of amusing is this is describing every total war game to date. Boring in the beginning, fun as you establish yourself then dull as gently caress as the AI simply is not programmed to deal with you even on VR/legendary. The only genuinely challenging campaign out of all the games is Caesar in Gaul, you can be beaten back until you own about 75% of the map. Most Total War games are over once you have less than a third.

The closest CA has come to mitigating this are things like the (accidental) Hojo horde in STW1, civil war (broken and unfulfilling) in Rome, and realm divide is STW2 (kinda worked).

WTW feels like it'll be a decent game in six months to a year as CA patches a whole lot of poorly considered and underdeveloped mechanics.

It's already well past the point of being a "decent" game, with the potential to be even better since they're in a position to improve a very solid offering rather than just fixing things to hit where it should have been at release. Grand strategy games have always had issues with reverse difficulty curves, and WH:TW does a lot of things that keeps the game challenging for longer than many of its predecessors. I am pretty interested to see how (and if) it evolves over time though, because the sides are much more asymmetric than in past games and the "issues" you're likely to perceive with the game vary a lot depending on who you're playing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, since we have effortposts on everything but Dwarfs, I figured I'd try my hand at them.

Melee Infantry

Pound for pound, Dwarves have some of the best infantry around. They might not kill very fast, but they have exceptional armour and leadership, to the point where even their baseline Warriors can stall elite infantry from the other factions for a disgusting amount of time. Inside the leadership aura of a lord, it's disturbingly common for their infantry to fight to the last dwarf without ever breaking.

Dwarf Warriors
Your baseline frontline infantry and staple for much of the early game. In a one-on-one extended brawl, they should usually win against any one of the other faction's baseline infantry (Orc Boys, Empire Swordsmen, Chaos Marauders, etc.). 6-10 units of these guys will usually be the core of your early armies. Their great armour and shields also allow them to just stand their ground against enemy missiles and take salvo after salvo of arrows on the chin to little effect. They have charge defense vs. large units, so make sure to have them stand still and braced when they're about to be hit by cavalry or monsters.
Dwarf Warrios also come with a variant carrying Great Weapons, but be aware that those only offer benefit against heavily armoured enemies. Against enemies in light armour, they will actually perform worse than regular Warriors. Great Weapon Warriors can be good against other Dwarfs early on, but against Orcs the regular variant will usually perform better.

Miners
Miners are essentially the militia-type infantry of the Dwarfs. In a straight melee they're inferior to the proper Dwarf Warriors, and indeed even to the baseline infantry of several other factions. However, they do have a few other tricks to make up for it: For one, they are your only early-game source of armour piercing damage, which is good to have if you find yourself up against Black Orcs or other Dwarfs (make sure to flank with them, if you can).
They also have a huge damage bonus against city gates. Even a single unit of Miners will usually be able to fully destroy a gate before a ram even manages to get there in the first place. Last but certainly not least, they eventually get a variant carrying thrown mining charges. Those are amazing for completely disrupting an enemy charge, or for flanking around and throwing them into the back of an ongoing melee. They also have Vanguard deployment, but that's often more of a gimmick. Still, it can be useful to reach enemy city gates faster, and sometimes even to take out enemy artillery.

Longbeards
These are basically Dwarf Warriors++. They work much the same, but are a small upgrade in pretty much every way. Their main advantage is that they ignore psychological effects like Fear and Terror, which makes them particularly good against Vampire Counts. They also slightly buff the leadership of nearby allied units as long as they're not already buffed by a lord or hero, which can be helpful to strengthen a remote flank. In the medium term it's probably a good idea to completely replace your Dwarf Warriors with Longbeards, but the upgrade is incremental enough that you don't really need to rush there. Longbeards also come in a Great Weapon variant, and exactly the same caveats apply there as with Great Weapon Dwarf Warriors.

Ironbreakers
Ironbreakers are the pretty much the be-all and end-all when it comes to holding the line. Combining incredible armour, defense, leadership, and perfect charge defence, they can take on pretty much anything and hold it for a long, long time. They even come with a small supply of blasting charges that you know and love from the Miners, which will even further destabilize an enemy charge. The explosives together with their expert charge defense means that they're actually better off standing their ground and letting attackers crush into them, rather than trying to counter-charge. Maintaining a full line of them is very expensive, but almost nothing short of heavy artillery or huge monsters will get through them.

Hammerers
Like the name suggests, Hammerers carry big-rear end hammers, and are the Dwarf's big melee damage dealer. Unlike the Great Weapon variants of Warriors and Longbeards, Hammerers actually do appreciably more base damage than any other dwarf infantry even against targets with less armour, though of course they're still best used against whatever's got the most armour. It's useful to have a unit or two of them in reserve to bash in the heads of enemy elite infantry like Chosen or Black Orcs once they're engaged with your main line. But be mindful they they lack shields, so they're relatively more vulnerable to enemy ranged fire.

Slayers
In theory, Slayers are an excellent choice for taking down enemy monsters and cavalry with their high offensive power and anti-large bonus. In practice, they're much too fragile (particularly in auto-resolve) and too much of an investment to recruit to really be worth it. Your artillery and missile units will usually do the same job pretty much just as well, while also having more all-around utility and being less of a hassle to deal with. If you do use them, hold them far back and only send them in against monsters once they've been intercepted by your regular infantry. One thing of note is that they're the only (non-flying) Dwarf unit that moves faster than regular infantry, so they're actually capable of running down and massacring fleeing enemy infantry.

Missile Infantry

For much of the game, your missile infantry will generally be doing most of the actual killing while your melee infantry holds the line. Since Dwarfs lack any kind of fast-mover until very late in the game, missiles are also your only real way of reliably dealing with enemy cavalry, particularly ranged cavalry.

Quarrelers
Quarrelers are pretty much the bread and butter of any Dwarf army, and stay relevant throughout the entire game. They have great accuracy, range, and power, and the combined firepower of several units of them can melt enemy light units in just a few salvos. They also have shields to protect from incoming missiles, which means that they'll win a ranged fire exchange against almost every other ranged unit. They're even somewhat decent in melee, at least to the point that they'll usually be able to hold off enemies until your own melee infantry can relieve them.
Quarrelers can also come as a Great Weapon variant (note that this only replaces their melee weapon), which is less of a gimmick than it sounds like. Since they retain their regular crossbows in addition to the Great Weapons, they'll still be just as deadly against light targets. Meanwhile, the armour-piercing capabilities of the Great Weapons can be a nice backup in case you unexpectedly do find yourself up against heavily armoured enemies with nothing else ready to deal with them.

Thunderers
These are mostly similar to the Quarrelers, but they carry guns instead of crossbows. Their main advantage is that they're armour-piercing, but at the cost of shorter range and a flatter trajectory. This means they can't as easily fire over the heads of other friendly units. They're best used either for shooting through a checkerboard gap in your line, or to flank around and shoot into the back of the melee. They'll never fully replace Quarrelers, but having a few of these along is always helpful, even if just to deal with an Orc Lord.

Irondrakes
While the Irondrake's flamethrowers are metal as all hell, they're unfortunately mostly of a gimmick right now. Theoretically they can do huge damage against lightly armoured targets, but in practice Quarrelers can do pretty much the same thing at greater range and with less difficulty.
They also come in a variant carrying Trollhammer Torpedoes, which are essentially small-scale rocket launchers intended to murder monsters of all stripes. Their main problem is that they compete with cannons, which can do the same thing at much greater ranges. Still, their damage is very front-loaded, so they can quickly break an incoming unit of monsters or cavalry before they can even make contact. I like to keep a unit or two around as a fire brigade of sorts against monsters or cav coming in from an angle that cannons can't reach, and because rocket launchers own.

Artillery and War Machines

Dwarfs have some pretty decent artillery available to them, and they really need it. After all, with how slow they are, they have no other way to actually force the enemy to come to them.

Grudge Thrower
It's a straightforward catapult. It makes big holes into tight infantry formations, but it's too inaccurate to really hit individual characters or monsters reliably. It has a high arc to its trajectory, meaning you can shoot over your line to hit enemies even when they're pretty close by. I've found having between three and four early on quite handy to murder priority targets like Black Orcs or Big'Uns. Later on you can exchange a few of those for cannons for a more even ratio.

Cannon
The Cannon is to the Grudge Thrower what the Thunderers are to the Quarrelers. It's quite a bit more accurate and brings in even more damage, which makes it well-suited to shooting monsters and monstrous infantry before they can even reach your line. The fast projectile also means that they can hit moving cavalry decently well. The downside is that they have a flat trajectory, so you either need a hill to place them on, or make a gap in your line for them to fire through. I usually bring two of these in every army I have.

Flame Cannon
If your Grudge Thrower is the equivalent the Quarrelers and Cannons to Thunderers, then the Flame Cannon is the equivalent to basic Irondrakes. So unfortunately that means it's both pretty metal and pretty redundant. The range is too short, the firepower not too huge, and killing lightly armoured enemies at medium range is a niche that's already perfectly filled by your Quarrelers. Skip these.

Organ Gun
The Organ Gun is essentially a cannon that exchanges raw firepower for a better rate of fire. Its theoretical niche is killing small elite units of infantry and cavalry like Mounted Chosen or Black Orcs, but personally I've never really found that trade-off to be worth it. Regular Cannons will still kill those units decently well while being more versatile. They're still pretty fun to use, though.

Gyrocopter
You'll only unlock Gyrocopters very late in the campaign, so they rarely see very much use. Gyrocopters have a so-so main gun in front and two bombs to drop directly below them, which have a similar effect to mining charges. They can also charge into melee and cause some pretty decent carnage there. They're fun and it's nice to have something quick for a change, but all things considered most other late-game units will be all-around more useful.
The second version of the Gyrocopter is much the same, except it mounts a much more powerful and accurate Brimstone Gun. The gun is both anti-large and armour-piercing, which means this variant is actually quite useful. They're essentially light artillery with great mobility, so they can kill enemy artillery and ranged units or just fire into the back of the general melee. This can make them a legitimate replacement for your regular artillery, if you've the money and tech to make the switch.

Gyrobomber
These are basically Gyrocopters, but with a weaker main gun in exchange for more bombs. Since the main gun is what makes Brimstone Gyrocopters good in the first place, and the bombs are fiddly as hell to use, so that's really not a good trade. You can get pretty much the same amount of explosions with a unit of Ironbreakers and their charges anyway. Skip these.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 8, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I wonder why the quest battles are so gated. I haven't done a single quest battle for a magic item, because I play on higher difficulties.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I actually really like the quest battles, I would like more of them but give them better, more meaningful rewards and put some kind of timer on them. Too easy to get around to it when you've got a big stack and by then the rewards are kinda worthless.

Would crazy love it if items were more rare and gave different melee styles and impacts. If Karl finds a big fuckoff axe, model him with that axe and give it perks against armor. Big fuckoff sword? Cuts through light armor like butter. Spear, halberd, hanzo steel :ninja:, etc. Would require a lot of work though. As it is it's kinda dull watching your hero fight.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ammanas posted:

If you aren't the guys at the very bottom of the map there's this little thing called the Chaos invasions to keep you occupied past midgame, though I do kinda wonder what the Orcs are supposed to do after pacifying the Badlands.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ammanas posted:

I actually really like the quest battles, I would like more of them but give them better, more meaningful rewards and put some kind of timer on them. Too easy to get around to it when you've got a big stack and by then the rewards are kinda worthless.

Would crazy love it if items were more rare and gave different melee styles and impacts. If Karl finds a big fuckoff axe, model him with that axe and give it perks against armor. Big fuckoff sword? Cuts through light armor like butter. Spear, halberd, hanzo steel :ninja:, etc. Would require a lot of work though. As it is it's kinda dull watching your hero fight.

Yeah, I was actually kind of surprised that the model doesn't change even with the quest items. Seeing Karl Franz go from a regular lovely sword to a blinging Runefang to a giant fuckoff hammer would have been pretty great. But since there are already a bunch of visual mods around that change the armament of troops, that seems like something that might be modded in eventually.

And while the quest battles themself are fine, there's just too much random crap in the way of getting there. I tried doing some of Gelt's quests, and they involve you sending agents literally to the other end of the continent. Even just for the Cloak of Molten Mmetal, I needed to send a guy south to the dwarves, then north to the dwarves, then fight a battle, then bring Gelt to Altdorf, then send a guy to a different place, and then fight another battle. And compared to all that effort, some of the legendary items aren't even all that great.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

I think it's the opposite problem. I don't go to quest battles late because I want to build so much, I go to quest battles late because my armies have poo poo to do.

The situations in which you don't want to launch a quest battle compose 90%+ of campaign time on Hard difficulty or above. You don't want to do it when the army is on the offensive (obviously). You don't want to do it when any enemy army is in sight range. You don't want to do it when lying in ambush or raiding enemy territory. You don't want to do it right after defeating an enemy stack because now you have attrition to heal. About the only time you want to is when you are A) Totally at peace, or B) On garrison duty and reasonably sure the enemy won't hit you this turn.

Those opportunities don't come up very often unless you are playing on babby difficulty or ok with your campaign being 300 turns long because you have frequent peace. At least that is my experience with Empire and Ork, who both basically have to fighting constantly. Maybe it's different as Vamps or Dwarfs, I don't know if they have more time to chill but I can see that being that case.

e: Honestly I kind of wonder if quest battles wouldn't have been better served but just operating like historical battles previously. The enemy force is already conjured out of the ether for the quest's benefit, might as well do it for your side to. Just transport the warp the lord there and give him an army. Almost all of the difficulty in getting quest battles done is finding a good time when it's ok for your #1 lord's army to take losses. No losses, no problem.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 7, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I was actually kind of surprised that the model doesn't change even with the quest items. Seeing Karl Franz go from a regular lovely sword to a blinging Runefang to a giant fuckoff hammer would have been pretty great. But since there are already a bunch of visual mods around that change the armament of troops, that seems like something that might be modded in eventually.

And while the quest battles themself are fine, there's just too much random crap in the way of getting there. I tried doing some of Gelt's quests, and they involve you sending agents literally to the other end of the continent. Even just for the Cloak of Molten Mmetal, I needed to send a guy south to the dwarves, then north to the dwarves, then fight a battle, then bring Gelt to Altdorf, then send a guy to a different place, and then fight another battle. And compared to all that effort, some of the legendary items aren't even all that great.

The magic mod linked earlier this page also boosts the items. Mostly they boosted the campaign-level effects, so that your legendary lord unlocking awesome items actually impacts your game. I found them to be really fun without making things too easy or feeling like a cheat

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Exactly. I'm way too busy for all that!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voyager I posted:

If you aren't the guys at the very bottom of the map there's this little thing called the Chaos invasions to keep you occupied past midgame, though I do kinda wonder what the Orcs are supposed to do after pacifying the Badlands.

Admittedly I'm looking at it from a :paint the map: perspective but chaos is mid-game (especially as empire, the best race) and unless you force yourself not to auto-resolve, inconsequential on VH

The real long game is against varg and skaeling and it loving blows

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey man but what about what you said earlier but applied to lord sniping?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mukip posted:

Exactly. I'm way too busy for all that!

5k gold for the teleport is also a non-trivial amount of money. Unless you're really not pushing yourself, it's hard to find opportunities where you can spend the better part of a turn's income to gently caress up your LL stack.

Ammanas posted:

Admittedly I'm looking at it from a :paint the map: perspective but chaos is mid-game (especially as empire, the best race) and unless you force yourself not to auto-resolve, inconsequential on VH

The Empire campaign goals are probably the tamest thing I've ever seen out of a TW game. You don't have to hold any territory outside the Empire or even conquer anything directly, with the only additional request of the long victory being that you have to destroy the Vampire Counts rather than merely subdue them. Hell, on normal you could probably make nice with the Electors and win the game from Reikland through the diplomacy screen.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

Ammanas posted:

I agree w/ this, I started an empire VH campaign and pretty much right after I took Marienburg the Skaelings declared war on me and marched 4 stacks down into my lands. I was only able to beat it by ambush baiting, because I could field two full stacks maximum. Some way to make the Skaelings a bit weaker early on would be great, I barely had time to do anything else in the Empire before it became full time viking fighting.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So a certain someone is about to have a really, really lovely day.

:haw:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'll never get tired of seeing pictures of the Everfailure getting owned from the setup screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Christ, Doom Divers are nasty. Got into a great intercept against Grimgor,:line held strong against the Orc push, Grimgor himself took a faceful of cannonball and at the victory screen it turned out that single doom diver of his had put down 120 dwarfs. About 60% of my casualties. On its own.

Respect the flying goblins.

• Locked thread