Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

King of Bees posted:

Thanks friend! I cook a lot of non seafood too. Did anyone try my tacos yet?

I tried, but apparently strip steak is something none of the bourgeois Finnish grocers with prices in the "regular working Joe" price range sell, so I'll have to go and check out some more high-class establishments to get that tender goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees

shinmai posted:

I tried, but apparently strip steak is something none of the bourgeois Finnish grocers with prices in the "regular working Joe" price range sell, so I'll have to go and check out some more high-class establishments to get that tender goodness.

Skirt steak! or maybe known locally as flap meat. Should be thin and a flap of meat and a good bit cheaper than strip steaks.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

King of Bees posted:

Skirt steak! or maybe known locally as flap meat. Should be thin and a flap of meat and a good bit cheaper than strip steaks.

Yeah, sorry, phoneposting, autocorrect got me :)
Apparently people don't really use cuts from the plate and flank here, but a friend referred me to a higher-end place that should have skirt steak; I'm optimistic because they have an article on their website from last summer regarding skirt steaks and flank steaks and grilling them. If I can find them I'll definitely try the recipe, if I don't, I'll figure out some substitute.

tao of lmao

Gonna try making a shepherd's pie with mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Wish me luck!

alnilam

tao of lmao posted:

Gonna try making a shepherd's pie with mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Wish me luck!

It's good but you know what's even better try making it with white sweet tates that's the best version of shep pie imo

tao of lmao

If I liked sweet potatoes, maybe. Not really my thing, though.

edit: came out real good though! first shepherd's pie ever

tao of lmao fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 8, 2016

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i am a huge shepherds pie fan but its spring so I've switched to chicken

King of Bees

Luvcow posted:

i am a huge shepherds pie fan but its spring so I've switched to chicken

OK.ok.ok. .. Shepard pie is lamb. Cottage pie is beef. A chicken is pot
Is right??

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

King of Bees posted:

OK.ok.ok. .. Shepard pie is lamb. Cottage pie is beef. A chicken is pot
Is right??

probably, i make my shepherds pie with either ground beef and pork or chopped up beef and shitloads of vegetables so i'm a heathen

alnilam

I'd say the name refers more to the format / supporting ingredients than to what kind of meat goes in

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i always thought a pot pie had a crust on top and a shepherds pie had mashed potatoes on top and both had meat, veg and gravy/sauce inside

alnilam

For examples i often make shepherd's pie with lentils and plenty of people make it with beef too, as long as the spices and format is there then it counts

alnilam

Yeah pot pie and shepherd's pie are totally different settings in which to place meat or w/e

King of Bees
Bit what if I post in GWS about Sheppard's pie and I'm actually posting about cottage pie and get permabanned!!? I'll just refrain from posting there until I know the exact terminology I guess.

Scaly Haylie

is it a bad thing to put shredded parmesan on asian-style microwave noodles?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
if parm on noodles is bad then i'm an outlaw

Scaly Haylie

to be clear, i mean that maruchan stuff that comes in plastic trays.

Scaly Haylie

y'know, like maruchan does.

The X-man cometh

Lizard Wizard posted:

is it a bad thing to put shredded parmesan on asian-style microwave noodles?

That sounds great, gently caress the haters.

Robot Made of Meat

The X-man cometh posted:

That sounds great, gently caress the haters.

As long as there's butter too, I agree!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

King of Bees
Prepped ingredients for a coarse pâté last night and it will come together this evening. Pork and apple with fresh sage and other herbs. Will trip report later.

King of Bees
OK. So I cooked 1.5 lbs pork belly with salt and pepper at 300 for a few hours in a glass dish covered with foil. Cooled until this evening

Grind this up coarse in food processor. Sorry about bad pics

Picked some sage, flat parsley and oregano along with half an apple and quarter vidalia onion. Sweated in pork fat

Mixed together with meat and a quick fry then in a mold pan

Now in the fridge to cool (wrapped) and meld.

Give it a day or two. Cut slices off to spread on crackers or toast. A little goes a long way. Enjoy!

King of Bees
My phone camera lens is greasy

King of Bees
Wait make sure you pull the meat from the fat. The meat will be fatty enough. I had a huge effort post on this recipe but it vanished

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

King of Bees posted:

OK. So I cooked 1.5 lbs pork belly with salt and pepper at 300 for a few hours in a glass dish covered with foil. Cooled until this evening

Grind this up coarse in food processor. Sorry about bad pics

Picked some sage, flat parsley and oregano along with half an apple and quarter vidalia onion. Sweated in pork fat

Mixed together with meat and a quick fry then in a mold pan

Now in the fridge to cool (wrapped) and meld.

Give it a day or two. Cut slices off to spread on crackers or toast. A little goes a long way. Enjoy!

i would eat that, maybe mix it into mac and cheese

King of Bees

Luvcow posted:

i would eat that, maybe mix it into mac and cheese

It's gonna be good no matter how you slice it

King of Bees
I'll post a slice when it's ready

3D Megadoodoo

Hello I'm a bad cook, broke, and also lazy. I meant to make macaroni box but then I realized I don't have any macaroni or milk so I fried up some minced meat and onions and cooked some barley.

Turned out so good I almost ate the whole bunch :negative:

I'm thinking of switching from rice to barley exclusively because while it takes more time to cook even with my FOOD HACK of using an electric kettle to bring the water to a boil, it has (a nicer) texture.

shinmai

CHK Instruction
For the non-finns browsing the thread, macaroni box would p much be macaroni & minced meat casserole.

shinmai

CHK Instruction
Double Whammy

Here are two foods I made with my hands:

Garlic Tofu and Green Beans

Incredients:
2 parts Green Beans (I'm using 500g)
1 part Tofu (250g here)
1 glove of Garlic per 100g of beans (I used six, because one was tiny)
2 tsp of salt per 1kg of beans (½ tsp of salt here)
crushed dried garlic to taste (I added a good four or five twists of the mill pictured)

What to do:
Rinse and chop Green Beans into roughly halves or thirds, chop Garlic gloves fine, cube tofu.
Saute Green Beans and Garlic for five minutes on medium heat.
Add in Tofu, season with salt and dried garlic, and continue to saute for another 5 minutes on medium high heat.
Enjoy.

Mojito Mousse
Incredients:
equal parts by volume of curd and whipping cream
half a lemon per 6dl/600g of curd and cream combined
a whole lime per half a lemon :P
mint leaves by taste
(:siren:optional:siren:) tequila. if you add tequila, remove half the amount of tequila you mean to add from the volume of whipping cream and reduce juice used from lemons and limes.

What to do:
Chop mint leaves v fine. Squeeze juice from fruits, grate zest from lime. Mix juice and zest to curd and leave to gather taste while you finish the rest of the prep.
Whip cream until hard. Continue until cream is also hard :pervert: If adding tequila, whip half of it into the cream
Mix in curd slowly using a large spoon add in chopped mint leaves in small batches, add the rest of the tequila at this point.
Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, dispense into nice looking glasses and garnish with mint leaves.

thanks Matoi Ryuko :love:

poverty goat

it's not bread yet but it will be, either late tonight or tomorrow morning!

This time I upped the cheese and jalapenos a bit, and cubed some of the cheese and added it later after some folds with the jalapenos instead of grating it and mixing it all in in the beginning. The grated cheese gives the crust just the right level of cheesiness but i want some cheesier bites inside as well

Scaly Haylie

https://twitter.com/AOLSystemMsg/status/721568256339886080

i feel this question belongs here

poverty goat

i did it

joke_explainer

Looks perfect. Let's see the interior!

I'm so happy this thread has been so busy. Haven't cooked anything in months but it's always nice to see the creations in here.

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

Looks perfect. Let's see the interior!

alnilam

Can i have a piece

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
My girlfriend made some English muffins with her sourdough starter earlier this week. I'll see if I can find her recipe, but I think it was pretty easy. We griddled some in butter and some in bacon fat. Had them with some eggs from the farmers market and bacon. Then I think I ate 4 more with butter and jam.

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

Can i have a piece

yes come on over

I've been slacking on my bread duties and I have family coming into town next week so im making 2 more different breads today, the usual raisinbread and also some sweet milkbread :yum:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

they go in sandwiches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I just made my favorite summer breakfast right now, it goes like this
Pick fresh baby greens from garden, i grow a mesclun mix + arug
Warsh them
Dress with olive oil, balsamic, salt pep garlic maybe some oregano
Poach 2 eggs, put on top of the salad, add a lil more salt and pepper atop the eggs
Make toast, spread with whatever you like to put on toast

This time i garnished each egg with an arugula flower bc my arugulæ are bolting and their flowers are really tasty it's like eating 5 spicy arug leaves at once

Yum