Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The report system is great because you learn as much about posters who report things as the people they report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
report raport

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
The only thing I've ever reported was when a guy literally posted a pic of his dick in my thread and then OP probed me for it

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love reports.

Well I would love it if you could have that report on my desk by noon! haha!

A little office humor for the lads.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I use the report button as experimental data for the psychological profile that I am assembling on each of the mods

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The report system is great because you learn as much about posters who report things as the people they report.

You should post the reports

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey facts are useless is it true we have a post count now? Apparent cub got a week long probation for posting too much.

Could you let me know how many posts I can do before I get a sixer?

Just want to follow these really cool rules.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Hey facts are useless is it true we have a post count now? Apparent cub got a week long probation for posting too much.

Could you let me know how many posts I can do before I get a sixer?

Just want to follow these really cool rules.

can't have cub hogging all the posts, there won't be enough for everyone else

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

also it was for health reasons, he could have got rsi and then he wouldn't be able to dig for gold...in his nose! classic

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

the report button is one of the main reasons the sense of community within the forums evaporated over the years. it's a god drat travesty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ORIGINAL GANGSTER posted:

the report button is one of the main reasons the sense of community within the forums evaporated over the years. it's a god drat travesty.
I don't think you realize how few reports there are in a day. In a day of Games, one of the larger forums, we get between 2 and 7 reports.

It is not a widely-used feature.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think you realize how few reports there are in a day. In a day of Games, one of the larger forums, we get between 2 and 7 reports.

yeah but you dont have all-star posters like us that get the ire of a buncha loser try hards

i think this is post number 9 of mine today if ANYONE is keeping track

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

Exclamation Marx, his eyes red-rimmed and bleary, takes another pull of whiskey as he reads this post, then tabs back to the report backlog for D&D in stony silence

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

yeah but you dont have all-star posters like us that get the ire of a buncha loser try hards

reported, creep

E: modding d&d would be a hell job, i sure hope you get hazard pay for that beat

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

a god drat travesty! it's more that use of The Button has been encouraged (at least it was in the past). no one likes a narc and encouraging them and actually listening to them is incredibly divisive and erodes the community and encourages infighting and bickering. ditto for over moderation and a lack of nuance when moding and moding content instead of moding community and not recognizing the fact that most people make some good posts and some bad posts and there are very few only good posters and only bad posters and that harsh moderation should be reserved only for the very few who only make bad posts. it's also due to very poor and inconsistent definitions of bad posting.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faxTv5V1fo0

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

a god drat travesty! it's more that use of The Button has been encouraged (at least it was in the past). no one likes a narc and encouraging them and actually listening to them is incredibly divisive and erodes the community and encourages infighting and bickering. ditto for over moderation and a lack of nuance when moding and moding content instead of moding community and not recognizing the fact that most people make some good posts and some bad posts and there are very few only good posters and only bad posters and that harsh moderation should be reserved only for the very few who only make bad posts. it's also due to very poor and inconsistent definitions of bad posting.

yeah anyone with a ratio of good to bad posts higher than like 1 in 10 is a pretty good poster by the standards and you should get off their necks

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

lol i want in on that case study

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

reported, creep

E: modding d&d would be a hell job, i sure hope you get hazard pay for that beat

moding d&d would be easy as hell if done right. instead they insist on creating an echo chamber of textbook length posts in which wrong think is actively moderated.

basically bring back LF. even if that means you have to hand over user info to the US gov't from time to time.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

yeah anyone with a ratio of good to bad posts higher than like 1 in 10 is a pretty good poster by the standards and you should get off their necks

I think a good practice would be something like looking at the user's past 20 or so posts or so before deciding on a punishment. like if there's any attempt at humor or something worthwhile or insightful or just simple community building, go easy.

like Applewhite got that long probation recently and he's got many goldmined threads to his name. you need to go very very easy on your content producers or you're left only with jackasses like myself.

Fiddler on the Reef fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 7, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol i want in on that case study

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

e: does anyone else get trolled by imgur with codes they spit out to you? No? Just me? *sighs*

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It all goes on my spreadsheet buddy

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Wee Stubby Nublet posted:

e: does anyone else get trolled by imgur with codes they spit out to you? No? Just me? *sighs*

Oh poo poo what the...

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

OctoberBlues posted:

It all goes on my spreadsheet buddy

Well my post count does go down if I post in Fyad...

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

like the OP is a case study in how not to moderate a forum full of Internet misfits. it makes sense for a mainstream population at large but it's not who We are or who We should want to be. the people who care enough and are upset enough to bitch and moan via email are precisely the people we should be removing from the community. instead LA wants to listen to them.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

and I realize the irony of what I am saying next to me care posting in this thread :suicide:

edit: TRUMP!!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
maybe lowtax can do an edu on how to trick a normie into loving the ur-goon

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

like the OP is a case study in how not to moderate a forum full of Internet misfits. it makes sense for a mainstream population at large but it's not who We are or who We should want to be. the people who care enough and are upset enough to bitch and moan via email are precisely the people we should be removing from the community. instead LA wants to listen to them.

what the gently caress are you talking about

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FactsAreUseless posted:

i thought the numbers were probably low, but i didn't think they would be that low jeez.
how often do you get PM?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

i thought the numbers were probably low, but i didn't think they would be that low jeez.
how often do you get PM?
A couple times a week, and even then only after putting up a sticky telling posters they could PM me more. They're almost always thread tag and title changes, with very few exceptions (mainly avatar things for contests). I also have an SA email address for non-plat users to get in touch, it's gotten three emails total.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So, the blanket ban on ITT threads is bullshit. The rules should exist to encourage funny posts, not to suppress the mods' pet peeves.

Some of my very favorite threads have been ITT threads and they're sort of my bread and butter.

If mods are sick of seeing "ITT" plastered all over then I'll comply without complaint, but Miraclewhale got probated for a thread that was in the spirit of an ITT, and if there's going to be a blanket ban on all roleplay/scenario threads then that's bullshit, IMVHOTYVM

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
wb

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

So, the blanket ban on ITT threads is bullshit. The rules should exist to encourage funny posts, not to suppress the mods' pet peeves.

Some of my very favorite threads have been ITT threads and they're sort of my bread and butter.

If mods are sick of seeing "ITT" plastered all over then I'll comply without complaint, but Miraclewhale got probated for a thread that was in the spirit of an ITT, and if there's going to be a blanket ban on all roleplay/scenario threads then that's bullshit, IMVHOTYVM

i wonder if any of the mods/admins are even reading this thread anymore

maybe you should send that post as an email

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Applewhite posted:

Welcome back baby, missed you :bigtran:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Hogge Wild posted:

i wonder if any of the mods/admins are even reading this thread anymore

maybe you should send that post as an email

someone report the post so we KNOW they saw it!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Applewhite posted:

The rules should exist to encourage funny posts, not to suppress the mods' pet peeves.

Amen to that. I hate most everyone in this forum section, but hate moreso rear end reasoning like blanket bans on a pet peeve.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
aids cum

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

The Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ITT threads, Photoshop threads, paint threads etc. are fine in Games as long as they're video game-related and you put at least a little effort into them. Post your video game joke threads and funny photoshops of Mario in Games.

• Locked thread