Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I know this is addressed slightly in the OP, but I'm looking for interesting books related to Freemasonry. I read through A Pilgrim's Path, which was a good read, and our Junior Warden has gifted me a copy of "A New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry" which is a bit intimidating, but a great resource.

I'm not out to learn anything specific, so I'm open to any suggestions.

In lodge news, we had an excellent EA degree last night, thanks to a special dispensation from the GL. It seems like fitting in work before we break for summer is a challenge. So much to do, so little time! I'm a little sad to see the season come, especially so quickly after my raising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I know this is addressed slightly in the OP, but I'm looking for interesting books related to Freemasonry. I read through A Pilgrim's Path, which was a good read, and our Junior Warden has gifted me a copy of "A New Encyclopedia of Freemasonry" which is a bit intimidating, but a great resource.

In lodge news, we had an excellent EA degree last night, thanks to a special dispensation from the GL. It seems like fitting in work before we break for summer is a challenge. So much to do, so little time! I'm a little sad to see the season come, especially so quickly after my raising.

Yeah, lodges going dark over the summer seems weird and a sure recipe for brethren to fall away after finding other things to do on lodge night.

I'm lucky - my lodge keeps chugging along through the summer.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, had a bit of an expierience the other night.

Went to lodge to hang out with the soon to be brothers and enjoy dinner. Several of the brothers are of an older generation, and they soon launched into a tirade about Obama, Hillary and the democrats in general, topping off that Trump was right to ban all muslims from the country. While I am not liberal by any means I found their statements to be offensive. I soon begged off from sitting at that table so i could mingle.

Then another soon to be brother brought in a friend he wanted to introduce to the lodge, who happened to be black. The table of the conservative brothers hardly gave the other guest the time of day. Weak handshakes and a halfhearted 'welcome'. The guest stayed for a while, then departed. I don't think he will be seen again.

After dinner they went up for lodge, and I stayed downstairs by myself. After a while one of the brothers came down with a look of disgust on his face, and he launched into a rantabout how the ritual was sloppy, the WM didn't know what he was doing, and he was sick to death of Brother X who has to put his word in on everything, usually on how 'back in my day, the lodge did it this way and this is how it should be'. Brother X it should be noted was one of the members of the conservative defense league and probably is in his late 70s.

All in all it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. There are a number of men there who I really do like and appreciate, and see socially. I guess I am going to have to smile politely and stay silent if they try to get me into political talk.

I know there is not supposed to be politics in lodge, but i was told 'dinner is not lodge'.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, the same happens in my lodge at dinner. There are a lot of blue collar veterans, including one guy who wears a t-shirt with the word "Coexist" made out of gun logos.

But to focus on happier things - I had a great experience at York Rite on Tuesday. A guy came up to me holding a book I wrote, and asked if I would sign it, and then went on to ask my opinion on some issues going on with the York Rite, with the Blue Lodge, what I thought of the Scottish Rite, etc... and the way he was looking at me was just like I was some sort of subject matter expert, like I had all the answers. I'm far from that, but it was a heartwarming and humbling experience to have someone think of me as such.

Also tonight I'm going to travel to a lodge where I get to raise a good friend of mine. He doesn't know I'll be there :)

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm definitely in your boat, brother. I'm very used to it, as I live in a very conservative area in general, so I too stay silent when politics comes up at dinner.

Just focus on the positive, and try to learn from the ritual, even if you find the actions and words of some brethren distasteful. It's a lot easier to ignore bad politics than racism, of course. I had a very similar situation come up, and it was quite upsetting. But remember that situations like those is why the Lodge needs young Brethren like us to persist, and eventually be in the position to outlive those who haven't yet embraced diversity.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

... But remember that situations like those is why the Lodge needs young Brethren like us to persist, and eventually be in the position to outlive those who haven't yet embraced diversity.

A thousand times this.

Also, don't take offense. You'll have your own opportunities to unknowingly marginalize others. Hopefully they'll be gracious enough to not get all offended and butt hurt about it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I mostly get mad at our old guys because they eat more than anyone but never chip in to reimburse our stewards. Top-level dick move.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
by the way, why is it called 'blue' lodge?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cimber posted:

Blue is the predominant color of the Master Mason's lodge. Also, the color of purity and perfection.

In olden times, used to distinguish from a lodge of Royal Arch Masons, which was referred to as a "Red Lodge".

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Cimber posted:

Conservative Older Members

Sadly, many men don't take the teachings to heart. They forget we are instructed to view all men as our brother, and to act for the benefit of all. They forget we are instructed at more or less every turn in the rituals to be kind, gentle, and caring to our fellow man, to have regard to his security and his welfare, as well as to our lodge brothers and ourselves. All we can do is try and be better masons personally and to try and instruct our newer brethren in the principles, privileges, and teachings of Freemasonry that a stronger, better craft may result. That last part is important. We are, each of us, charged with the instruction and gentle correction of our brethren if they falter or make mistakes, and while it's really too late to change the minds of many of the old brothers, we need to be swift in doing so with the younger where they're exposed to the poor attitudes and poor ritual of the older. Condescension (in the good sense), kindness and respect are cornerstones of our order for a reason.

Try Who's Afraid of Freemasons? It's a most interesting read. http://www.amazon.com/Whos-afraid-Freemasons-phenomenon-Freemasonry/dp/1860460291

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Loomer posted:

Try Who's Afraid of Freemasons? It's a most interesting read. http://www.amazon.com/Whos-afraid-Freemasons-phenomenon-Freemasonry/dp/1860460291

Thank you, brother. I've added it and "Freemasonry - The Reality" on the advice of our state's Masonic Research Society to my list.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Not nearly as cool as a lot of the stuff that gets posted in here, but last night my district had its annual banquet to conclude inspection season, and I received this year's "best MM lecture" award. I'm really honored and surprised. I didn't even know that my district gave those out!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

COOL CORN posted:

Blue is the predominant color of the Master Mason's lodge. Also, the color of purity and perfection.

In olden times, used to distinguish from a lodge of Royal Arch Masons, which was referred to as a "Red Lodge".

Someone's memorized a lecture!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Colonial Air Force posted:

Someone's memorized a lecture!

Not yet! Just heard them a hundred times.

Right now I've just finished memorizing the Order of the Temple for the York Rite. It takes about 20 minutes to go through it all, and I have to keep it in my head for the next 2 weeks until I can meet up with the guy who can sign off on my Certified Lecturer form. Then I'll finally be a Certified Instructor after 2 years of work :unsmith:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
In Scotland, refreshment is held after the evenings degree work (or lecture, or whatever) and is usually quite informal on most nights, though more special events (installation, special meetings) warrant a sit down meal, usually with a toast or two.
Installation meal usually has a bunch of toasts and speeches.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Cimber posted:

Our Lodge actually just republished an answer from One Hundred One Questions about Freemasonry you may be interested in if you like the more esoteric type of answer. Link to blog post.

Unrelated, the Grand Lodge committee I'm serving on had a big organization meeting last week and it turns out that the current head (a PGM) and the GM's plans for the committee is for it to have 3-year terms, to help build and grow with consistency, instead of starting over from scratch every year. That's going to be a lot of work, but here's hoping to help make the Craft a better experience for everyone from the youngest in our Youth Orders to the highest in our appendant bodies.

Also for those who have recently received their Master Mason degree, make sure to take the time to really soak in the Blue Lodge experience before you even think about signing any of the appendant body applications or officer roles which are undoubtedly being pressed upon you. There is so much to learn, take it gradually so you don't feel like you're missing out.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Tonight I had the pleasure of filling in for one of the Stewards as we (with the special dispensation of the GL) examined five Master Masons on their catechisms. It was nice to see what it's like to be in one of the comfy chairs. If I can believe all the hinting from our elected Officers it's something I'll probably get used to, one day.

In the four weeks since I've been raised, I really feel like a lot has opened up for me to do. I've been approached about a few appendant bodies, and have stepped up for website and facebook duties, as well as a bit of mentoring to our many EAs working on their catechisms. It's pretty interesting being, by a margin of 10 years, our lodge's youngest Master Mason. Mostly, a lot of surprise that I've continued to stick around and stay involved after my raising.

Overall, I'm very glad that I ended up taking the necessary steps on this journey, and appreciate the bits of advice I've picked up from the Brethren in this thread. So thanks for that!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Tonight I had the pleasure of filling in for one of the Stewards as we (with the special dispensation of the GL) examined five Master Masons on their catechisms. It was nice to see what it's like to be in one of the comfy chairs. If I can believe all the hinting from our elected Officers it's something I'll probably get used to, one day.

In the four weeks since I've been raised, I really feel like a lot has opened up for me to do. I've been approached about a few appendant bodies, and have stepped up for website and facebook duties, as well as a bit of mentoring to our many EAs working on their catechisms. It's pretty interesting being, by a margin of 10 years, our lodge's youngest Master Mason. Mostly, a lot of surprise that I've continued to stick around and stay involved after my raising.

Overall, I'm very glad that I ended up taking the necessary steps on this journey, and appreciate the bits of advice I've picked up from the Brethren in this thread. So thanks for that!

Some get their third and then - for whatever reason - fall by the wayside. To have a new brother remain zealous and optimistic about the order is something that any of them will immediately latch on to, more so if you show signs of being able to learn ritual work, have organisation skills and such. Basically, they're not going to let go of a good thing and will keep ahold of you as much as possible. The fraternity relies upon folks like you to keep going, so they'd be mad to let it slip.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Woot! The day is here! Tonight I become an entered apprentice!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Best of luck, soon-to-be-brother. Tonight we're having a practice, and next week I'll be conferring an EA degree for the first time. I'm excited.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Congratulations!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm jealous. I gotta wait until october :(

Congratulations however!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

COOL CORN posted:

Tonight we're having a practice, and next week I'll be conferring an EA degree for the first time. I'm excited.

Will you be sitting in the East or performing as Senior Deacon? Both are exciting roles, particularly in a First Degree

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

FreshFeesh posted:

Will you be sitting in the East or performing as Senior Deacon? Both are exciting roles, particularly in a First Degree

In the East. Practice was fun :)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Well poo poo that was fun, and insightful.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Well poo poo that was fun, and insightful.

Welcome, Brother.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Keetron posted:

Welcome, Brother.

Thanks!

Mine was a dual degree, myself and another brother were becoming EA. Our building has three lodges running out of it, and we were brought in by 3 worshipful masters and the junior warden of our grand lodge was in the east. The Senior Deacon was a friend I have known (and non-masonically called brother) for decades. It was a real treat. The ritual was amazing and the lecture was delivered beautifully.

Aureliu5
May 28, 2016
76 pages, so I'm not certain if someone asked this already, but:

Anyone of you Masons personally know a Mason who is a trans person or otherwise non-binary?

Just curious!

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Aureliu5 posted:

76 pages, so I'm not certain if someone asked this already, but:

Anyone of you Masons personally know a Mason who is a trans person or otherwise non-binary?

Just curious!

Gay, yes. Trans, none that I know of.

If a trans person wanted to become a Mason, then that person should hang out at a few lodges to take the temperature. It would also be wise to ask the WM and some others if a petition should be entered because having a petition denied means a one year delay before applying again elsewhere (I think). It would suck to find a friendly lodge a couple of months after being voted down in a less friendly one.

My lodge is pretty OK with whatever race/creed/orientation a brother has, but even I can't predict how a vote would go for either trans-male or trans-female. My intuition is that trans-female would not be voted in but that a trans male would be. This is assuming the candidate was otherwise fine and not the sort of person that would bring disharmony to the lodge.

If one of the brethren in my lodge decided to become trans-female, I -know- that we would all be very concerned that the surgeries and treatments went well. I'm not sure of the jurisprudence, but I think there is nothing to stop that person from returning to lodge.

Aureliu5
May 28, 2016

patentmagus posted:

Gay, yes. Trans, none that I know of.

If a trans person wanted to become a Mason, then that person should hang out at a few lodges to take the temperature. It would also be wise to ask the WM and some others if a petition should be entered because having a petition denied means a one year delay before applying again elsewhere (I think). It would suck to find a friendly lodge a couple of months after being voted down in a less friendly one.

My lodge is pretty OK with whatever race/creed/orientation a brother has, but even I can't predict how a vote would go for either trans-male or trans-female. My intuition is that trans-female would not be voted in but that a trans male would be. This is assuming the candidate was otherwise fine and not the sort of person that would bring disharmony to the lodge.

If one of the brethren in my lodge decided to become trans-female, I -know- that we would all be very concerned that the surgeries and treatments went well. I'm not sure of the jurisprudence, but I think there is nothing to stop that person from returning to lodge.

Interesting, thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm fairly certain there's a trans Mason in my area, and I believe they post here. It's not my business to name names, but if that person were to chime in, I'd certainly love to hear their thoughts since I've never really asked.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

I'm fairly certain there's a trans Mason in my area, and I believe they post here. It's not my business to name names, but if that person were to chime in, I'd certainly love to hear their thoughts since I've never really asked.

Yup, I'm pretty positive a trans man sat in front of me at grand lodge last year. I was hoping to get a chance to speak with them, but never did. Might be the same brother, who knows ?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Going to be going in as JW next month. UGLV. Anyone in our jurisdiction got any tips, or want to come along? I'll organise the raffle...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, nice hats are surprisingly hard to find in physical stores.

I have to confer a degree on Thursday and I don't have a brimmed hat! I guess technically I could wear my Boston Bruins cap.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

I have to confer a degree on Thursday and I don't have a brimmed hat! I guess technically I could wear my Boston Bruins cap.

Wear a pickelhaube.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Colonial Air Force posted:

Wear a pickelhaube.

Not a bad idea. I'm sure there are Masters out there who wear tricornes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

Not a bad idea. I'm sure there are Masters out there who wear tricornes.

Well, if I were a Master, I certainly would.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

There's a cool, old school hat store in Greensboro, down the street from the big masonic temple. Fedoras, bowlers, you name it. Mitchell's 311 E Market St.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

There's a cool, old school hat store in Greensboro, down the street from the big masonic temple. Fedoras, bowlers, you name it. Mitchell's 311 E Market St.

Aw man I didn't know that! I ordered a cheap hat off Amazon. When I'm actually Master in a couple years, I'll get a nicer hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I want to say what a great experience masonry has been for me with my mother lodge...I complained a bit back about how I was treated by a Lodge in TX...but my mother lodge, they are gems taht I doubt I can find a lodge like anywhere on earth. My father recently was diagnosed with a very serious illness. The outpouring of support from my brethren has been AMAZING. I know that they will have my back if I reach out for help. It's such a good feeling to know that even though I live 2k miles away now, they will take care of me.

That's what real masonry is about. Caring about others.