Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Wally suit is great.

Flash Rebirth #1 is pretty fantastic, buy it buy it buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That's good. I thought the preview pages were really clunky.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
The Flash was the biggest disappointment for me when it came to the new 52. I loved Francis Manapul's art, which was the only reason why I was buying it. After he left I was done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yes, that suit is great. And also I'm really looking forward to Flash as Williamson has yet to let me down. Everyone read Birthright dammit!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

Click the link. JLU.
He must've been designing for Jeff Lemire's run, which took place in space most of the time. Foreman ended up drawing on the short lived Jeff Parker run, but Stargirl's costume was traditional.

If all of those extra characters were planned before Lemire left, I'm very sad.

Got it to work when googling. Yeah there are some great costumes in there and looks like a could have been fun book.

Stanley and his Monster, B'wana Beast, and Union are also good designs.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

Even caveating that it's The Worst Flash?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Even caveating that it's The Worst Flash?

Barry Allen isn't the best Flash, but he's far from the worst.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really know anybody but Wally, Barry, and like Bart and Max Mercury from Impulse. Who's worse than Barry?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

I don't really know anybody but Wally, Barry, and like Bart and Max Mercury from Impulse. Who's worse than Barry?

Second season Flash from the the TV show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Worst Flash is probably one of the lovely future Flashes from the Cobalt Blue arc.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I kinda like John Fox. His original costume is goofy looking, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

No human being alive can think Jay was/is worse than Bart as The Flash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry is fine, the biggest problem with him since he came back was that he's not Wally though. Because Wally is the best. There's nothing really inherently wrong with Barry except the whole not being Wally thing. It's not like a Hal Jordan thing where you'd taken pretty much anyone else except him because he's terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're both worse Flashes than Barry. Jay mostly as a product of his time.

Barry Allen didn't suck. People just have all the anger over what happened with Wally falling on him.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 8, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lumberjanes / Gotham Academy #1 does everything right.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just stumbled across this wonderful thing. A 1993 relaunch of a 60's property.

There should always be a lampooning comic published alongside the serious attempts at the big two.

Space Fish posted:

Lumberjanes / Gotham Academy #1 does everything right.

Yusss. I'm only four issues into Lumberjanes. I'm guessing I'll be fine, but are there any later developments?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 8, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just stumbled across this wonderful thing. A 1993 relaunch of a 60's property.

There should always be a lampooning comic published alongside the serious attempts at the big two.

Kevin Smith then made Stanley get abused by his insane uncle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, don't ever read anything with Phil Foglio's name on it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

All of them are equally bad. The best Flash is Jesse Quick because she's only The Flash for like 5 seconds.

(:v: not really a Flash fan. Never really read much Flash and I've never really had any interest, the Allen family just seems real boring. Really looking forward to Wonder Woman though)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wally > Jay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Barry > Bart

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

Wally > Jay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Barry > Bart

Bart is a great fucken character when he not the Flash.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

DrProsek posted:

All of them are equally bad. The best Flash is Jesse Quick because she's only The Flash for like 5 seconds.

(:v: not really a Flash fan. Never really read much Flash and I've never really had any interest, the Allen family just seems real boring. Really looking forward to Wonder Woman though)

Oh man, that storyline with Jesse was BRUTAL. Wally set her up to be the flash for months only to turn around and LOLJK Imstillflash

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Action, Detective, Flash and Wonder Woman... and Wacky Raceland was by far my favorite.

Very disappointed in Wonder Woman. Poor art till the last few pages with Liam Sharp, and a script just relentlessly saying "Wonder Woman is this ... or is she this" over and over.

Flash was better, but the story didn't move past origins and a Rebirth recap till halfway through, and then it was mostly about Batman's button, which is probably going to be a subject for another year. Also the colouring had some really ugly Photoshopping with splashing rain made out of smudge tooling a texture. Ick.

Action Comics was fun enough, but Supes going instantly hostile on Luthor seemed completely wrong. The heat-vision shaving was a real tragic moment :(

Nothing much to report on Detective. There was a nice moment between Batman and Batwoman, and some humanity and humour from Clayface, but it was a very rote bunch of scenes describing and recruiting the DetTeam members.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 8, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Action, Detective, Flash and Wonder Woman... and Wacky Raceland was by far my favorite.

okay what

the preview looked terrible, so I gotta know, what's good about Wacky Raceland? is it that the cars talk?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just a really fun, idiotic comic. My only complaint is that 'asshat' was said about five times (and again, 'Def legit') They could use a scumbag-character thesaurus.
There's an omnipresent race narrator (who's actually the puppet master villain), Dick and Mutley somehow go ahead of the pack to plant traps and poo poo. It's amusingly faithful to Wacky Races.
Also, +1 transgender character... who's rival is a neo-nazi Red Baron type pilot of a biplane car. Not that she's any more of a deep character than the other shitheads, but that's probably for the best.

e: Also the cars talk.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 8, 2016

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I have to agree with Teenage Fansub.

It seems like, other than Green Arrow Rebirth which was a fantastic issue, the rest of these Rebirth issues are just a messy exercise in dumping some plot and doing some continuity house keeping so that they can go on to do the rest of their stories. Flash Rebirth was a massive a clusterfuck and it's a shame that Venditti's run has apparently done as much as damage as it has because I could barely make sense of this going straight from Manapul and Buccellato's run to this issue. Oh and I'm surprised the colouring looked pretty amateurish since I'm fairly sure Ivan Plascencia does the colour for Constantine the Hellblazer which has been gorgeous up until now.

I really hope Rucka's run isn't just going to throw out Azzarello's run though Ares' helmet getting crushed isn't a good sign.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They're both worse Flashes than Barry. Jay mostly as a product of his time.

Barry Allen didn't suck. People just have all the anger over what happened with Wally falling on him.
Actually Jay is good and cool while Barry is lame and boring.

And yeah, Bart sucked as Flash but was good and cool as Impulse and Kid Flash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I have to agree with Teenage Fansub.

It seems like, other than Green Arrow Rebirth which was a fantastic issue, the rest of these Rebirth issues are just a messy exercise in dumping some plot and doing some continuity house keeping so that they can go on to do the rest of their stories. Flash Rebirth was a massive a clusterfuck and it's a shame that Venditti's run has apparently done as much as damage as it has because I could barely make sense of this going straight from Manapul and Buccellato's run to this issue. Oh and I'm surprised the colouring looked pretty amateurish since I'm fairly sure Ivan Plascencia does the colour for Constantine the Hellblazer which has been gorgeous up until now.

I really hope Rucka's run isn't just going to throw out Azzarello's run though Ares' helmet getting crushed isn't a good sign.

Honestly, there's not really a good way to keep Azzarello's drastic departure with the Amazons AND have the kind of stuff you'd hire Rucka to do with Wonder Woman. One of them has to go, and as they've hired Rucka, the whole 'things keep shifting' explanation is likely the best you'll get.

I'm actually curious if either of you read Wonder Woman before the New 52. It strikes me as a similar situation to the colouring debate going on in the chat thread. If you've never seen the original colouring, in some cases the new stuff actually looks better, but if you HAVE seen the old stuff, it feels wrong and brutal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I read Azz's stuff first. I had always liked Wonder Woman but had never really sat down and read a lot of comics about her. After that I went back and read from Perez right after Crisis all the way to the awful JMS stuff right before the reboot. Looking back now Azz's WW seems very coarse, brutal, and lacks the depth of the best WW stories. It's still a good read and he mostly keeps Diana in character but it's not really accurate to the legacy. I completely get why Rucka wants to walk it back a ways.

The same thing happened to me with Star Trek, I watched the JJ Abrams movie and thought it was cool, so I went back and watched the old TV shows and realized why long time fans weren't impressed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Endless Mike posted:

Actually Jay is good and cool while Barry is lame and boring.

And yeah, Bart sucked as Flash but was good and cool as Impulse and Kid Flash.

When I started getting back into comics, I was really excited to be reading Flash. Especially since it was after Infinite Crisis, and I was going to be able to jump on a Flash comic from the first issue. I really wanted to like the Bart series, and hated it that they killed him as a solution for canceling the book, but I didn't know any better. I just wanted a Flash book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm reading the Perez run now, and I love it, and while I think figuratively crumpling the last run up like a ball of paper is real harsh, that doesn't really have a lot to do with the problems I had with the issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 8, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I loved Wonder Woman Rebirth. It was my first WW comic, and I thought it was absolutely loving fantastic.

It's one of the very few Rebirth comics that works removed from actually knowing the character at all. Everything else (even Green Arrow, probably the second-closest when it comes to a good "jumping on" point for new readers) plays off the informed legacy of the character or explaining the backstory, but the conceit of WW Rebirth allows a new reader to absorb her backstory without feeling like it's being explained to you. I really enjoyed Superman Rebirth but even then I have to admit it was a lot of "okay here's how pre-Crisis Superman somehow ended up as the main Superman".

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I am actually kind of shocked at how much I hated Wonder Woman. I knew it was going to dumpster Azzarello's run, and had made peace with that, but the writing is so comically overwrought hitting the same beat of LIES and FINDING THE TRUTH in the most purple over-narrated fashion imaginable. If this is what I'm forced to endure for the sake of bringing back the "purity" of proper Wonder Woman runs, than gently caress this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there an explanation yet for Clark Kent showing up in action?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That kind of one character show is always a tricky thing. Do you have the character actually talk to themselves? Do it all internal monologue? (I only just got around to reading the full issue) I actually think Rucka did an admirable job leaving the Azzarello run open and valid for those that liked it. It didn't feel like he was unduly weighting the other versions. And there was some nice use of the negative space in the gutters. I'd agree that there could maybe have been a better setting than Diana moping in a hotel room, but as a mission statement, I don't think it was too wordy, mostly because while the theme is simple, the context is actually quite complicated and if you're assuming (rightly, given the pre-orders and our own Toxxupation's admission) that this is someone's first Wonder Woman comic, they NEED a lot of this info to make sense of what's happening.

At least it wasn't a monologue of "As you know, your mother, the queen..." type stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there an explanation yet for Clark Kent showing up in action?

Nah. Lex is talking to reporters after stopping some bank robbers in his supersuit, Superman decides he has to finally show himself and confront Lex. They start fighting and Jimmy Olsen's like "Perry. We need a reporter down here STAT!" You see someone running out of the Daily Planet going "On it!"
When he arrives, Jimmy's all "But you... but he..." and he goes "I assure you, it's really me." Then they all end up together and Lex is all like "And another Kent? Who are all you pretenders?!" and Doomsday busts in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As a fan of Tim Drake is Detective Comics worth looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

As a fan of Tim Drake is Detective Comics worth looking at?

He's barely in it but it was a good comic.