Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

CommieGIR posted:

College should be subsidized. Right now, its a massive profit generator for banks and debt creator for students and is heavily weighing our generation with immense and often insurmountable debt. Not only that, but college is being priced out of reach of middle class and especially lower class students. Are you saying they have no right to education, often the only method to escaping poverty, without inheriting massive poverty in turn? You are basically saying that wage slavery and placing massive debts upon people is okay because 'Free Market', and that's loving atrocious.

No one is forcing people to go to college. I went to college. I have more than the average debt and a plan to get out of it. Sure it's a burden, but I made the call. I'm doing what I like and making the necessary sacrifices to pay the debt. There ARE a number of good jobs that don't require degrees. The average salary of an elevator technician/mechanic is $73K.

CommieGIR posted:

And already covered, but the Colonists issue with taxes was not the being taxed part, but being taxed without a say in Parliament. Had they been given representation in Parliament, chances are they wouldn't have cared in the least. The best part about the Tea Tax was it was purposefully implemented to PROTECT A COMPANY. What, you think Free Market is about fair trade and competition? gently caress no, those guys will nail each other to the wall and screw each other at every turn.

I also don't have a problem with all taxes... but WTH with this dual narrative? Corporations abuse the system to their advantage getting taxes breaks and subsidizes... but I'm also supposed to happily pay taxes?!?!

CommieGIR posted:

the issue is not our spending, its what its being spent on, like a decade plus long war.

It's both?!?! You'd have to get rid of every bit of military spending to negate our borrowing... and that's not even accounting for what we already owe and pay interest on. And the continued quasi war actions are one issue that I dislike both Trump and Hillary for.

CommieGIR posted:

I love that he thinks taxes are coercive and aggressive, but charging outrageous amounts for a college degree, debt held by a bank, is a-okay and in no way coercive.

You are not forced to go to college! It is not essential. Try to not pay your taxes.

CommieGIR posted:

I want to know more. Because I can only imagine that you have some really reprehensible ideas about what counts as disaster relief.

Sorry, but no. That's my personal life and work I don't need you rear end in a top hat goons looking at my stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xwing posted:

No one is forcing people to go to college. I went to college. I have more than the average debt and a plan to get out of it. Sure it's a burden, but I made the call. I'm doing what I like and making the necessary sacrifices to pay the debt. There ARE a number of good jobs that don't require degrees. The average salary of an elevator technician/mechanic is $73K.

I also don't have a problem with all taxes... but WTH with this dual narrative? Corporations abuse the system to their advantage getting taxes breaks and subsidizes... but I'm also supposed to happily pay taxes?!?!

Choose one. Either the Free Market will help everything and solve all the problems, or it won't. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

You can't play the Free Market reigns supreme card when its pretty apparent that the Free Market can't do poo poo for itself without rear end-raping consumers along the way.

xwing posted:

You are not forced to go to college! It is not essential. Try to not pay your taxes.

You can either go to college and escape poverty or not go to college and MAYBE be a lucky guy that can find a job that pays enough to make a living wage. And no, there is still training required that cost money for blue collar jobs, nice wishful thinking there.

So no, college is an essential. At least having the option to debt free Community College at bare minimum. And if you think the IRS is bad, you need to go watch the John Oliver segment on collections agencies and bank collection methods. The IRS looks like a hippy compared to them.

xwing posted:

Sorry, but no. That's my personal life and work I don't need you rear end in a top hat goons looking at my stuff.

That's fine, chances are, considering nearly every functional disaster relief system involves taxes, yours is probably a reprehensible scam.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 8, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

xwing posted:

It's both?!?! You'd have to get rid of every bit of military spending to negate our borrowing... and that's not even accounting for what we already owe and pay interest on. And the continued quasi war actions are one issue that I dislike both Trump and Hillary for.

Yeah people aren't forced to go to college much like you aren't forced to pay taxes, in that no one is putting a gun to your head but holy fuckballs will you likely have bad results if you don't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

xwing posted:

do you think you can get that job with a high school degree and nothing else because if you do lemme show you this sweet bridge that i'll give you for a song

seriously tho college is not mandatory but it is increasingly necessary

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

No one is forcing people to go to college. I went to college. I have more than the average debt and a plan to get out of it.

If you broke your back and could not work, how would that affect your plan?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

In two broadcast interviews, Paul said that the federal government may have overstepped its role by making it illegal to impose racial segregation in the private sector.
Asked if he thought a private business had the right to say it would not serve black people, he said: "I don't want to be associated with those people, but I also don't want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilised behaviour because that's one of the things freedom requires."
Since the furore, Paul has released a statement indicating that he would have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 de-segregation bill, a position he declined to take a day earlier.
"I support the Civil Rights Act because I overwhelmingly agree with the intent of the legislation, which was to stop discrimination in the public sphere and halt the abhorrent practice of segregation," he said.

Paul is a segregationist who thinks businesses should be able to legally discriminate against other races in service and hiring, even though he claims he would be privately sad to see it actually happen, but he will continually work to make it politically possible for it to happen.

He supports the Civil Rights Act of 1964 insofar as he lies about its content and claims that its intent was only to stop government-sponsored discrimination in the public sphere while he continues to undermine its actual objective of halting discrimination in business, services, and employment.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 8, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

do you think you can get that job with a high school degree and nothing else because if you do lemme show you this sweet bridge that i'll give you for a song

seriously tho college is not mandatory but it is increasingly necessary

Don't worry, he took it upon himself to burden himself with debt, because college is totally unnecessary. Wonder why he didn't just go get a good paying job without a college degree.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

xwing posted:

Do you salute and sing God Bless America when you pay your taxes? America was formed by "shove your taxes"...

Does the phrase "no taxation without representation" ring any bells to you? Taxes weren't the problem, being taxes without having any ability to have a say in what or how much is taxed was. You have representation, and the founding fathers would have laughed at you.

Edit: beaten harder than a colonial slave

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

Don't worry, he took it upon himself to burden himself with debt, because college is totally unnecessary. Wonder why he didn't just go get a good paying job without a college degree.

i looked this up

quote:

While an apprenticeship alone is usually sufficient training to become an elevator technician, changing technology in the field is causing many employers to seek technicians who also hold associate's degrees in electronics. These programs give students an understanding of how to work with various types of electronics systems.

so all you have to do is get a union position, it's super easy, why don't more people do it (also a degree is recommended), also unions are the devil!!!!!1!!

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
I'm okay with paying taxes because in the end it would cost me more to buy private services that they provide.

What taxes do you not have a problem with specifically?

quote:

It's pretty essential if you want to be competitive in the workforce much like knowing how to read or do basic math is essential. While there are some jobs that don't require college, most with any level of upward mobility do.

As an aside I went a number of years not paying all my taxes and nobody clasped me in irons. I ultimately filed and paid all my back taxes when I had the financial means to do so because it's a socially appropriate thing to do. I'm okay even when they help people like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

quote:

I want to know more. Because I can only imagine that you have some really reprehensible ideas about what counts as disaster relief.

I'm guessing it has something to do with blood diamonds!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually if you don't make any money you don't have to pay taxes. By choosing to work within society you are choosing to pay taxes to society.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Does the phrase "no taxation without representation" ring any bells to you? Taxes weren't the problem, being taxes without having any ability to have a say in what or how much is taxed was. You have representation, and the founding fathers would have laughed at you.

Edit: beaten harder than a colonial slave

Not all slaves were beaten :smugdog:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

xwing posted:

Try to not pay your taxes.

Do we really need to go over why this is bullshit a second time? The FBI is not going to put a bullet in your brain for not paying taxes, you dolt.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

CommieGIR posted:

You can either go to college and escape poverty or not go to college and MAYBE be a lucky guy that can find a job that pays enough to make a living wage. And no, there is still training required that cost money for blue collar jobs, nice wishful thinking there.

So no, college is an essential. At least having the option to debt free Community College at bare minimum. And if you think the IRS is bad, you need to go watch the John Oliver segment on collections agencies and bank collection methods. The IRS looks like a hippy compared to them.

Please don't point to the weekly satire episode and claim relevance...

So college is the escape from poverty... but it saddles you with insurmountable debt?!?! Make up your mind! You keep talking sideways out of your rear end.

paragon1 posted:

Yeah people aren't forced to go to college much like you aren't forced to pay taxes, in that no one is putting a gun to your head but holy fuckballs will you likely have bad results if you don't.

AGAIN try not paying your taxes. See how it works out for you.

Who What Now posted:

Do we really need to go over why this is bullshit a second time? The FBI is not going to put a bullet in your brain for not paying taxes, you dolt.

And you don't magically get away with not paying taxes. Do we really have to go over this bullshit?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Also worth noting that the Confederation government was powerless to collect taxes, and the country was a dysfunctional mess as a result which couldn't defend its borders, pay its bonds, build or maintain infrastructure, or manage civil unrest.

And so the holy founders got together again with George Washington presiding over the constitutional convention and said

Article 1 posted:

The Congress shall have power
To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defence[note 1] and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

And then every single state ratified it within 3 years, even Rhode Island which had rejected it at first changed its mind when the other 12 states threatened to treat them as a foreign government. And then 37 new states all voluntarily agreed to the constitution and joined the union over the next 200 years.

But nah the founders were all about no one ever having to pay taxes ever. Totally.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

1000101 posted:

As an aside I went a number of years not paying all my taxes and nobody clasped me in irons. I ultimately filed and paid all my back taxes when I had the financial means to do so because it's a socially appropriate thing to do. I'm okay even when they help people like this!

I accidently didn't pay my taxes for multiple years due to a misunderstanding about whether my scholarship / appointment was taxable income. No one came after me (or even corrected my mistake), I only back filed and payed because I could afford to and thought it was the right thing to do when I learned of my mistake.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rand Paul said that he's totally cool with the CRA in that he's fine with 9 out of 10 provisions. The problem is that last provision is kind of a big one, in that it's the one that prevents businesses from kicking out black customers.

But other than that, yeah, the CRA is a-okay with him! :waycool:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 8, 2016

May 14, 2003

xwing posted:

So college is the escape from poverty... but it saddles you with insurmountable debt?!?! Make up your mind! You keep talking sideways out of your rear end.

It's been getting more expensive over the years while traditionally being a means for upward mobility particularly for people who may otherwise be impoverished. Trade schools are also getting more expensive as well.

quote:

Well if you don't go to college you probably won't make any money so you won't have to pay taxes!

quote:

And you don't magically get away with not paying taxes. Do we really have to go over this bullshit?

I used to be a dumb person and I claimed something outrageous on my W4 and never bothered to file my income taxes for 7 years. When I reached the age of reason and also realized that taxes weren't keeping me down I contacted the IRS, filed all the back tax returns and then started paying them back. I probably could have gone several years. Though to be fair if they came and asked me for back taxes and told me to gently caress off they might garnish my wages. I'd understand though because that would mean I was being a shithead.

That said, why not pay taxes? They help fund things like clean drinking water, education, air traffic controllers, poo poo like this internet, science, arts, freeways, a pretty big loving army, national parks, law enforcement and more.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

xwing posted:

Education is the escape from poverty yes, which is why it is wrong to saddle the poor with piles of debt to achieve it while the children of the rich have it handed to them for nothing.

Also, having a literate, numerate society that can supply the skilled workers necessary for an advanced economy benefits you immensely and it continues to baffle me that you're against the public education system that made it possible for us to become a developed country in the first place.

Like seriously what do you imagine the economy of the US will be like once we trash our public education system and go back to the agrarian age where the bulk of the population can't afford to teach their kids to read?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do you have a problem with taxes or something? Without taxes you would not have had access to a college education. The loans you took out are nothing compared to the federal and state funding universities receive.

Taxes also ensure that you don't die of food poisoning, die from taking over the counter drugs or die by falling through a hole in a suspension bridge. They also pay for the military industrial complex and the private prison system, and continually pour money over bankers to the point where they are at a loss as to how to dispose of it.

Shape the use of tax dollars by participating in political and civic life, xwing. Don't take the easy way out by pouting, and going "taxes are wrong!" Taxes are extant, is what taxes are. And they'll continue to be. So gut up to it like I did, choose work that gives you insight into a system, and gain deep knowledge of how policy and funding affect the delivery of services.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

xwing posted:

Unless you've got some family member with some "family business", the only thing a high school education is going to get you is a uniform. You only have to decide what color and whether you want to hold a gun or drive a cash register.

Even inheriting a loving family farm requires college education to learn basic levels of agricultural science, mechanics, and environmental studies so your plants don't just all whither up and die and you're left in mountains of debt because you didn't know what the hell a weevil is. Everything that isn't retail or food service requires some form of education and training beyond high school - education and training that you have to pay for yourself before you can get a job. Call centers are now requiring at least a 2-year degree. loving call centers!

xwing posted:

THat's the exact goddamned problem that free education and/or government subsidized college tuition is supposed to fix! ARE YOU EVEN PAYING ATTENTION!?!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

xwing posted:

I never suggested that public education go away either. The specific video was about college education.

Most colleges are public education institutions. But even ignoring that, why should the government pay for k12 schools but not college? And how does the government pay for k12 without taxes?

How do you have free public education without some form of taxation?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

xwing seems to be under the impression that people enroll in college and get saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt solely for fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xwing posted:

:ssh: This has been disproven repeatedly. By people who haven't paid their taxes and then settled up with the IRS. So maybe you need to demonstrate your claims which sound like something out of a Sovereign Citizens handbook.

xwing posted:

Please disprove its relevance. The show is satire, but deals with real problems and is actually considered far more news than, say, CNN or Fox even.

xwing posted:

It does now. Didn't used to. In the 1950s and 1960s, you could work a minimum wage job and pay for a full semester of college with zero debt.

Now? You have to work at least two jobs full time to even afford a semi-full course load. But the problem is taxation, right? Not a for profit driven incentive to load people with debt they can't possibly afford because the only way to possibly afford that debt and escape from poverty is to go to college.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

YF19pilot posted:

Call centers are now requiring at least a 2-year degree. loving call centers!

To be fair this is more an indictment of the declining quality of our high-schools, which if my experience venturing into one last year to give a talk is any indication are more daycare enters than I remember.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

xwing seems to be under the impression that people enroll in college and get saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt solely for fun.

You don't have to do it. I mean it is a clear advantage that my family's wealth availed me of, but I did it just to do it. You do you.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: This has been disproven repeatedly. By people who haven't paid their taxes and then settled up with the IRS. So maybe you need to demonstrate your claims which sound like something out of a Sovereign Citizens handbook.

drat you're dense...

If they settled up... they paid their taxes! How does it work out if you call up the IRS and say "Hey, I goofed and haven't paid any taxes for a few years. How about we just start now and forget the past ones?" No, you pay the back taxes one way or another.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xwing posted:

drat you're dense...

If they settled up... they paid their taxes! How does it work out if you call up the IRS and say "Hey, I goofed and haven't paid any taxes for a few years. How about we just start now?" No, you pay the back taxes one way or another.

You're the moron that said they'd get arrested. Or shot. They didn't.

Balls in your court.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

CommieGIR posted:

You're the moron that said they'd get arrested. Or shot. They didn't.

Balls in your court.

They paid their taxes, just late. Late doesn't mean not paying at all. You're an idiot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xwing posted:

They paid their taxes, just late. Late doesn't mean not paying at all. You're an idiot.

Multiple years late? Yeah, the IRS was just biding their time before sending the marshals around.

:ironicat:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

xwing posted:

No, you don't get to steal from me. Am I supposed to cry that you don't get to steal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm still waiting on xwing's grand disaster recovery plan, considering the multiple states who are all about being Tax Free and Free Market and loathe the Federal Government always go running right to FEMA as soon as a disaster strikes and beg for Federal Disaster Relief.

Why didn't the Free Market provide?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Ah yes, the famous rallying cry of our founding fathers. "NO TAXATION!"

They were smart guys, you'd think they'd have come up with some sort of rhyme, but nope it ended there.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What about abortion is morally corrupt? I'm interested in your stance on this one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grognan posted:

What about abortion is morally corrupt? I'm interested in your stance on this one.

Me too. Tell us, xwing, why is abortion morally corrupt?

How would you propose lowering abortion numbers?

May 14, 2003

xwing posted:

drat you're dense...

If they settled up... they paid their taxes! How does it work out if you call up the IRS and say "Hey, I goofed and haven't paid any taxes for a few years. How about we just start now and forget the past ones?" No, you pay the back taxes one way or another.

One way is by check! The other I'm assuming is credit card?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grognan posted:

Imagine Neal Peart wrote a song from the perspective of a fetus

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Grognan posted:

Eh, is that really all that interesting an avenue to pursue? So long as he's against criminalizing abortion that's really all that matters, and he has much worse positions to criticize.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Please disprove its relevance. The show is satire, but deals with real problems and is actually considered far more news than, say, CNN or Fox even.

A Modest Proposal was satire which means there was no poverty in Ireland at the time. That's how it works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

john oliver doesn't employ wolf blitzer and that's good enough for me

gently caress wolf blitzer