Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bentai posted:

Maybe he's economically set enough that he can take the haircut.

If his haircuts cost 34.5 million a year I'll do it for 25 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.amazon.com/Indy-Car-Wars-American-Open-Wheel-ebook/dp/B0172D99VS
"The Indy Car Wars: The 30-Year Fight for Control of American Open-Wheel Racing" -- Kindle book is now only $4.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Worst course produces good races. I think it needs to be paved though...

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

Worst course produces good races. I think it needs to be paved though...

What makes it so bad? It's much more like an actual road course than a typical street course.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Belle Isle is awesome, get out with your bad opinions, Adolf :colbert:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Overall the experience at the track was much better than last year thanks to the weather. However people still leave really early. People exit throughout the day but it really picks up around 20 laps into the IndyCar race. I'm not sure why but the grandstand positioning could use some work. All the stands are at the slowest, narrowest parts of the track. Stand 3 is at the number overtake spot but for some reason is rotated towards the turn exit, and on top of the there are trees between the stand and the exit. So you sit there and hear downshifting, then the cars are already slow and side by side when they come into view. 5 has great sightlines but it's the slowest part and single file always. You can walk very close to the track most of the way but without any height it's hard to see. It's sooo so close to being a great viewing experience.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Belle Isle is awesome, get out with your bad opinions, Adolf :colbert:

Belle Isle is a good venue, I just don't think it should be the race directly after Indianapolis.

St. Petersburg, Long Beach, Belle Isle, Cleveland, and Toronto would be about the only street venues I'd have on the current IndyCar schedule. Those WORK. (I'd add Vancouver, The Meadowlands, Denver, and Miami as well if they could somehow get off the ground again. Not sure we'll ever see Vancouver again though) . The rest really aren't worth the time or the effort.

It should be on the schedule for as long as they can put it together. It shouldn't be DIRECTLY AFTER INDIANAPOLIS THOUGH.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Someone's gotta explain all this "after Indianapolis" logic when it comes to scheduling races. What is the relevance? I can only assume it's to coast on the larger than usual viewership figures at Indy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Part of why you'd want to make sure the race after Indy is as close to Indy in how the race plays out as possible (i.e. another fast oval) is to take advantage of the viewership.

The other part of it is the workload on the teams. Despite it only being "two races" during May, they're spending an insane amount of time on the track and on the cars during the whole month. Then you've got literally three days post-Indy to convert the cars to road course trim, repair any damage, redo any paint / vinyl that needs to be done (Indy-only or Detroit-only sponsors) and have them on the truck headed out to Detroit. Once there, you get to do one practice session, a standard qualifying session, repair anything you broke on Friday, race on Saturday and repair anything you broke during the race, qualify again on Sunday, race again on Sunday, and either repair the car or throw it back on the truck to Indy.

Once the car actually gets there, now you get to convert it back to oval spec, possibly redo your sponsors again, and make sure that getting vibrated on the concrete at Belle Isle didn't gently caress up the whole car. The workload is pretty loving nuts.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of why you'd want to make sure the race after Indy is as close to Indy in how the race plays out as possible (i.e. another fast oval) is to take advantage of the viewership.

The other part of it is the workload on the teams. Despite it only being "two races" during May, they're spending an insane amount of time on the track and on the cars during the whole month. Then you've got literally three days post-Indy to convert the cars to road course trim, repair any damage, redo any paint / vinyl that needs to be done (Indy-only or Detroit-only sponsors) and have them on the truck headed out to Detroit. Once there, you get to do one practice session, a standard qualifying session, repair anything you broke on Friday, race on Saturday and repair anything you broke during the race, qualify again on Sunday, race again on Sunday, and either repair the car or throw it back on the truck to Indy.

Once the car actually gets there, now you get to convert it back to oval spec, possibly redo your sponsors again, and make sure that getting vibrated on the concrete at Belle Isle didn't gently caress up the whole car. The workload is pretty loving nuts.

My mindset is viewership and taking advantage of that. You know Gossage would have a field day with having the race after Indy, and promote the hell out of it. Dude would have a packed house, and make some sort of big deal about the Indy 500 champion being at said race. (dude was able to pack it during the leanest of years for the IRL..)

You put it on network tv (ABC, NBC) on Saturday night, and then show highlights of the "500" as a tease? You'll hook race fans of all sorts into watching it.

I don't think attendance for Belle Isle would be effect by being pushed back two weeks or so. I don't think ratings (which were kinda pitiful) would be effected by being pushed back two weeks or so. The style of racing also doesn't translate as well. Sure we all love watching the various strategies and happenings at Belle Isle. But it's a bit of a let down to most racing fans to see some incredible finish at IMS having to watch the type of racing that generally goes on at Detroit.

But I agree to Belle Isle directly after it in terms of wear and tear on the team is also a mistake. That's also a good point.

e: Not saying that we'll see NASCAR or Indy 500 ratings by simply having an oval race on after Indy, but I'd be it'd be better than an 0.8 you'd get regardless of when Belle Isle races. These are things they need to capitalize and take advantage of. They DIDN'T do this with Fontana for example in both ways.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Belle Isle isn't going to move. The race is on the schedule for Chevy, and they want it on ABC and want that Indy viewer 'momentum'. They might push it back 1 week, but its gonna stay the race after Indy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i am the indycar wet blanket for all fan theories

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A thing that I really enjoy about the old Indycar races is the obscure backmarkers. Like this guy;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bren

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Belle Isle isn't going to move. The race is on the schedule for Chevy, and they want it on ABC and want that Indy viewer 'momentum'. They might push it back 1 week, but its gonna stay the race after Indy.

If they push it that would have to be in concert with IMSA, and I'm not sure they want to push it because that would put a race between Le Mans test and race weekends. I know that isn't the biggest impact on cars always, but it does make an impact on drivers and team members. And since Chevy is invested in both high-level IMSA classes (DP, GT) as well as IndyCar, it makes that a joint decision.

I doubt Detroit moves.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

If they push it that would have to be in concert with IMSA, and I'm not sure they want to push it because that would put a race between Le Mans test and race weekends. I know that isn't the biggest impact on cars always, but it does make an impact on drivers and team members. And since Chevy is invested in both high-level IMSA classes (DP, GT) as well as IndyCar, it makes that a joint decision.

I doubt Detroit moves.

I mean that is indeed the logistical problem.

Like my dumbass theorycrafted schedule was always Indy/TMS/Milwaukee/Belle Isle/Portland/Cleveland...but I'm unsure how you'd work that around to ensure you'd get IMSA within that frame.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I may make the trip to the Glen.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm still considering it too. Airfare/car/race tix are easy enough, just need to find some sanely prices AirBnB or a hotel or something.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I would, but I have a family event that weekend and a wedding to save for. Still going to Pocono though.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Y'all should listen to Marshall Pruett's new podcast. It's really really loving good with sides of Robin Miller. Found out in the AJ Foyt episode (man it's good to hear an uncensored AJ) Gordon Johncock is a fat xenophobic rear end in a top hat these days that didn't want to go to the 100th Indy 500 since he thought he'd have to stand next to all those furriners.

http://marshallpruett.podbean.com/

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 7, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Y'all should listen to Marshall Pruett's new podcast. It's really really loving good with sides of Robin Miller. Found out in the AJ Foyt episode (man it's good to hear an uncensored AJ) Gordon Johncock is a fat xenophobic rear end in a top hat these days that didn't want to go to the 100th Indy 500 since he thought he'd have to stand next to all those furriners.

http://marshallpruett.podbean.com/

I smiled a big grin when Will Power passed him on the all-time wins list this weekend.

For that exact reason.

BTW, Crapwagon idolized him for blowing off IMS for going to Oswego. Turns out he's the EXACT type of guy that they would portray as an IRL/"Gomer" type lol.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BMB5150 posted:

Gordon Johncock is a fat xenophobic rear end in a top hat these days that didn't want to go to the 100th Indy 500 since he thought he'd have to stand next to all those furriners.

That is loving great.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Montoya/Stewart/Alonso/Dixon 24H in a Ford GT prepped by Ganassi

we live in a universe where this could happen

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Montoya/Stewart/Alonso/Dixon 24H in a Ford GT prepped by Ganassi

we live in a universe where this could happen

That would own. I'm kinda wanting to see Ford create an LMP car just to kick some more european rear end.

Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch have been paling around with Marco, Mario and Michael oddly enough.

Marco even spotted for Tony Stewart today at Pocono.

https://twitter.com/MattYocum/status/739937624719130624

https://twitter.com/MarcoAndretti/status/739879391614914561

God I wish we could start a rumor that this was all leading up to a Andretti Autosport running a cup car and Haas getting into the IndyCar game. That would own.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Larson to the 10, Danica anchor for Andretti

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Larson to the 10, Danica anchor for Andretti

It wouldn't be a bad idea actually.

Haas could put his stamp on sponsoring a team that has been the only one outside of Penske and Ganassi to have "500's" and Series titles within IndyCar to it's credit. Would also allow them to have a defacto :911: "talent farm" for their F1 team.

Andretti gets into cup, something I bet money they've been wanting to do for quite sometime. (almost did it with Dodge a few years back). Also would probably allow Danica some leeway into dipping her toe back into trying the "500" again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Marco has been buddies with Kurt since his Indy run. They were supposed to be racing on the same day, but with the rain delay, Marco lives 30 min away from Pocono... so why not swing by?

It wouldn't surprise me if Tony wanted to dabble in the 500 after he retires, and hes said a lot of times he doesnt really want to run the cars out of his shop. A deal with Andretti could make sense now that he doesnt have a chevy personal services contract, but I wouldn't read that far into it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honda of Canada remembered they have handsome racecar drivers on the payroll, not sure if Honda of America is aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueTMiq0WsbY

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Tony wanted to dabble in the 500 after he retires, and hes said a lot of times he doesnt really want to run the cars out of his shop. A deal with Andretti could make sense now that he doesnt have a chevy personal services contract, but I wouldn't read that far into it.

His biggest challenge will be fitting into an IndyCar.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cygni posted:

Honda of Canada remembered they have handsome racecar drivers on the payroll, not sure if Honda of America is aware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueTMiq0WsbY

i'm that lady tbh

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

His biggest challenge will be fitting into an IndyCar.

The time for him ever racing in IndyCar again has passed.

I believe he was pushing around the idea of returning full time when his sportscentury aired during the mid-2000's (he and Casey Mears were discussing going full time to IndyCar in 09...this was in 2003-2005ish)

Yeah, the money was too good to bail on cup, and the offer to own a cup team? also too good. So that never happened. I think he also felt satisified with winning the Brickyard and never really found the heart to ever do it again.

He's acted weird about it every time it comes up. When I say "Acted weird", I mean just very quick to dismiss the possibility of ever racing or ever owning a car in IndyCar ever. Like in a "Shaking his head before the interviewer even finishes the question" sort of way.

Yet, when Foyt trolled him at a restaurant for never getting his face on the Borg Warner? He went all :smith: about it, so I don't know.

The Concept of an Andretti-Stewart-Haas alliance intrigues the hell out of me, but I don't think it's likely to happen and it's just me honestly kicking around the concept for lulz. I think Stewart will just quietly run his cup team and then run sprint cars when he's bored during his retirement. I don't think he has any interest in being involved in IndyCar or the "500" as of r right now

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hinch has good hair.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So that guy in the stadium truck crash lost his jaw...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have no idea who The Players' Tribune is but man they put together some good by-the-racers articles.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I keep forgetting to attend the IndyCar Texas race this weekend since it'll be about the only time I'd ever attend a NASCAR race and might be one of the most awkward race weekends imaginable.

Trucks are supporting the Indy cars this weekend, NCWTS races Friday night on FS1

We should do a drinking game where you have to do a shot everytime the FS1 broadcast mentions Indy cars (we'd probably all be completely sober)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Indycar is supporting the trucks you mean.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
OT: Anyone watching the Trucks? How is the caution clock?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

WindyMan posted:

OT: Anyone watching the Trucks? How is the caution clock?

Doesn't really do anything and it's only been used like 4 times.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Huh. That's interesting.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Possibly Chicken posted:

Doesn't really do anything and it's only been used like 4 times.

Is it because they can't race clean for 20min without someone crashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Oops I must of forgot about the integrity of indycar

https://youtu.be/LzxE4P7SGM4

• Locked thread