Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Ineffiable posted:

Imagine if we had a line of amiibo knockoffs based on the world of final fantasy.

Service for them would be cancelled without warning one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So look. Final Fantasy X. I get that people don't like it.

But here's the thing.

It's so loving well put together. The soundtrack has multiple leitmotifs that flow throughout the story--the visual language is clearly identified and consistent. The themes are consistent with the characters actions, the world is impeccably detailed and demonstrated both via showing AND via telling. Of all the Final Fantasy games, X is easily the most cohesive, the one with the clearest direction from its outset, and the one where all of its elements tie into its ultimate conclusion. For good or for ill, Final Fantasy X is exactly the game it wants to be, and I think Square should at least be given credit for that, given how loving rudderless FF8, 13 and its ilk were.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think people do like FFX though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think people do like FFX though

everyone likes a ff

every FF is the best game ever, except 3DS everyone hates that one

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't think anyone likes dirge of cerebus either

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think FFX consistently shows up in people's top 3 best Final Fantasy lists, it was a very popular and commercially successful game. It's also very easy to make of, which was of course corrected in the totally unmockable Final Fantasy X-2.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'll forever hate FFXII because it make the races from FFTA(2) go from cute and stylish to muddy, disgusting, and frumpy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

I think FFX consistently shows up in people's top 3 best Final Fantasy lists, it was a very popular and commercially successful game. It's also very easy to make of, which was of course corrected in the totally unmockable Final Fantasy X-2.

True. I feel people often latch onto elements of games that they like/don't like that are largely independent of the entire production. It's something to note--most Final Fantasy games have often fallen short in some element of their design. FF7 has a disconnect of its themes--a cyberpunk world full still of weird medieval fantasy pastiches; FF8 starts out as this rather serious, pseudo-contemporary military game and then diverges into weird fantastical sorceress hunting and romance. FF9 is perfect in every way.

But FFX is the one Final Fantasy that has the ambition of the 3-D generation, but also a consistency unheard of prior. It's so cohesive in so many ways that it's quite staggering to consider. It isn't my favorite FF, but I'd point towards it as being the "masterpiece" of the series, in the sense that it is a sweeping romantic epic told well, and not burdened by inconsistencies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think baal likes it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The worldbuilding and thematic unities of FFX are definitely among its strongest aspects. Like there was considerable care and attention put into imagining how a world like Spira might exist instead of just putting in whatever poo poo sounded cool like gundams right next to castles and knights.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

everyone likes a ff

I liked the version I got on Steam, which is based on a phone version which is based on the DS version. Does that count?

And there are definitely people who liked Dirge of Cerberus. This forum just has a couple "completely acceptable targets."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

True. I feel people often latch onto elements of games that they like/don't like that are largely independent of the entire production. It's something to note--most Final Fantasy games have often fallen short in some element of their design. FF7 has a disconnect of its themes--a cyberpunk world full still of weird medieval fantasy pastiches; FF8 starts out as this rather serious, pseudo-contemporary military game and then diverges into weird fantastical sorceress hunting and romance. FF9 is perfect in every way.

But FFX is the one Final Fantasy that has the ambition of the 3-D generation, but also a consistency unheard of prior. It's so cohesive in so many ways that it's quite staggering to consider. It isn't my favorite FF, but I'd point towards it as being the "masterpiece" of the series, in the sense that it is a sweeping romantic epic told well, and not burdened by inconsistencies.

FFXII is pretty consistent. People who talk about the Occuria coming out of nowhere just weren't paying attention.

But I am inclined to agree that FFX is probably the best-told story in the series. I have mentioned this pretty frequently but I really think the "Pilgrimage format" helped give the game direction and also helped our heroes from looking like total dunces. There was one set goal from the beginning and everything revolved around that goal. No other FF is like that except I guess FF2 or something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

In Training posted:

I think baal likes it

baal likes everything terrible, it's why he was made a mod

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXII is pretty consistent. People who talk about the Occuria coming out of nowhere just weren't paying attention.

But I am inclined to agree that FFX is probably the best-told story in the series. I have mentioned this pretty frequently but I really think the "Pilgrimage format" helped give the game direction and also helped our heroes from looking like total dunces. There was one set goal from the beginning and everything revolved around that goal. No other FF is like that except I guess FF2 or something.

XII is great, it is the closest to the classic FF games that the 3-D entries had gotten since FF9. The cohesiveness of the world is really what kept me coming, I would hunt down monsters just to get additional pages to the bestiary.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Dirge of Cerberus, but not as a game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

i'll forever hate FFXII because it make the races from FFTA(2) go from cute and stylish to muddy, disgusting, and frumpy.

At least they went back to that in A2 with the added bonus of the Seeq turning out pretty cool in the Advance artstyle.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Somebody must have, otherwise why would Shelke "Mind Clone of dead Scientist who mothered the Sephiroth and cuckolded Vincent" be in World of FF?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

At least they went back to that in A2 with the added bonus of the Seeq turning out pretty cool in the Advance artstyle.

only having 4 jobs was bullshit tho!!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
same with gria, can't believe they gave me super cute dragon girls and only gave them 4 costumes!!!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I really enjoyed X when I first played through it, and never did play with the expert sphere grid or whatever it's called. With the HD remake, is there any difference between getting it on steam or on the PS4? I could go either way, unless one is clearly better than the other?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
When the hell is FFT A3, Square? A2 was really good and could be even better with a few minor tweaks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fhqwhgads posted:

I really enjoyed X when I first played through it, and never did play with the expert sphere grid or whatever it's called. With the HD remake, is there any difference between getting it on steam or on the PS4? I could go either way, unless one is clearly better than the other?

Steam has dual audio (though you have to mod in English subs on the Japanese track, hah) and a bunch of speed/booster options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Grozz Nuy posted:

When the hell is FFT A3, Square? A2 was really good and could be even better with a few minor tweaks.

seriously, im fukkin pissed

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'd like to see a square-one approach, where they cut back on the number of jobs but open them up to every race. Then do the FFV "equipping this class skill gives you the best of that class' stats." Just let people go absolutely apeshit with class builds and customization.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FF7 has a disconnect of its themes--a cyberpunk world full still of weird medieval fantasy pastiches

I feel the need to call this bit out in particular, since that was actually kind of the point the game was making. The Shinra Corporation was advancing too quickly, spreading tech in bits and pieces where they needed it in the rest of the world while sitting uncontested atop a cyberpunk metropolis. It happens in the real world as well; you won't find the same kinds of advances and conveniences in Podunk as you would in NYC. It's a more extreme example in VII, I'll grant you, but it's not completely unbelievable.

I'd actually say it's less of a problem in VII than it was in IV and VI, where you have city-states and castle towns coexisting with airships and mecha. Cannons were enough to invalidate high castle walls in actual history, never mind cannons mounted on boats that can sail clean over the walls to blast you directly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WaltherFeng posted:

Guys, did you hear the best FF ever made is getting a PS4 remaster? I've been waiting for this for several years now.

They're remaking V for PS4!?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It just becomes weird when the podunk towns have the really good armour and weapons while the tech metropolis sells you crap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah, FF7 is a fantasy world with sci-fi poo poo crammed into it because that's exactly what Shinra was doing, destroying the natural beauty of the world by covering it in ugly technology. Nothing disconnected about it.

Pureauthor posted:

It just becomes weird when the podunk towns have the really good armour and weapons while the tech metropolis sells you crap.

It just has that personal homemade touch that mass-produced products could never live up to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pureauthor posted:

Just going for the classic fantasy 'the older stuff is the better it is' thing

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, since it's the first I've heard of it. He just seems to get multiple actions as the fight goes on and Grand Cross has RNG into it.

Chaotic Flame posted:

First I'm hearing of this. I thought he just got multiple turns.

Happened to lose the rest of my party in a Necron fight once and then noticed he wasn't doing poo poo anymore so I investigated it for an hour out of curiosity

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

I'd actually say it's less of a problem in VII than it was in IV and VI, where you have city-states and castle towns coexisting with airships and mecha. Cannons were enough to invalidate high castle walls in actual history, never mind cannons mounted on boats that can sail clean over the walls to blast you directly.

tbf it's not like IV ignores that; it's explicitly the reason for Baron's uncontested military dominance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FFX is a very solid game, and really one of Square's best efforts.

Honestly every FF game is pretty good (except your favorite).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The translators for FFXII The Zodiac Age

Should I know who any of these people are? Does anyone here know what they've done?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Alexander O. Smith is VERY good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_O._Smith#Works

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah definitely, and as far as anyone really needs to know in regards to him doing FFXII TZA, he did FFXII so things will be as consistent as they possibly could be 10 years apart.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Alexander O. Smith is hotly-debated (he was behind a lot of the Faux-Elizabethan Speeke in some newer Square titles) but I personally like his work a whole lot :shobon: FFTA2 and FFXII in particular really benefit from his exaggerated, theatrical style.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh. I of course know who Smith is and I like his work. But it didn't say Alex Smith, it said something and Joseph Reeder.

Oh well, I'm happy.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Alexander O. Smith is hotly-debated (he was behind a lot of the Faux-Elizabethan Speeke in some newer Square titles) but I personally like his work a whole lot :shobon: FFTA2 and FFXII in particular really benefit from his exaggerated, theatrical style.

https://youtu.be/9X4qrtfzzYY?t=14m33s

This scene is beautiful and speaks of the amazing talent that went into XII's localization.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 8, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I hate that your party is five humans and a bunny girl. All these cool races in Ivalice and you don't get to have any of them in your party.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think Smith's style gives a ton of color to the Ivalice setting specifically, I guess I can see why some people bounce off it but it fits the thematic base of Matsuno's work really well for me.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Fister Roboto posted:

I hate that your party is five humans and a bunny girl. All these cool races in Ivalice and you don't get to have any of them in your party.

Yeah where's my Bangaa and Moogle party members :mad:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

everyone likes a ff

nikkolasking liked ff3-ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

nikkolasking liked ff3-ds

As did a lot of people on Steam, apparently.

The absolute hatred for the game seems to be a phenomenon localized on SA. Other boards I frequent are indifferent to the game or only feel very mildly for or against it.