Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

"white girl" is censored
why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This isn't true, I know exactly what DS3 poise does. I will outline it below.

Subtle.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

argondamn posted:

"white girl" is censored
why

White people are haraam

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tengames posted:

You don't even know that, its literally just where the undead are drawn to and end up.

You spoke with that kind old dear who tells you about a place where souls may mend your ailing mind.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

argondamn posted:

"white girl" is censored
why
Way of *****

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Panty Saluter posted:

White people are haraam

*faraam

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eternal Foly Jifad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

acksplode posted:

The beast mimics hosed me up pretty good. That move where they flip backward and one-shot devour you while you're behind them caught me a couple times.

I had no idea they could do that until recently. It was a very surprising death!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bogart posted:

:negative: Turns out killing Leonhard early doesn't get you his sick sword. Anyone on Ps4, around SL32 if that matters, wanna drop it for me?

edit: nm

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 8, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Max poise enables big head mode

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Max poise enables big head mode

it's true

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also managed to try out the phantom ghost trick and it's loving amazing. :allears:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Also managed to try out the phantom ghost trick and it's loving amazing. :allears:

It was surprisingly effective when I didn't spawn in right beside the host, his 3 gold buddies, and 17 blues all spamming estocs on top of the spawn point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why am I making a bunch of new characters and getting Sword Master to kill the Dancer for me? Just because I heard they're patching it out? Why? What's wrong with me? :darksouls:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah what is wrong with you? what could you possible need that early from lothric castle that you couldnt get through item transfer from an alt account?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't you have to transfer it down using several different people to get some late game item at the start

lol I forgot about passwords

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

NT Plus posted:

I've been using a chaos flame lucerne +7 running a pyromancy build. I gotta say, infusing with chaos fire is a bit underwhelming. I'm rolling with a friend running around utterly DESTROYING everything with his dark sword. Meanwhile I struggle with literally every enemy I come across. I just can't do enough damage with my weapon. I guess you go caster, you best be always casting?

I'm at Lothric Castle right now.

My take on this : you're already a pyro, so don't have a flame based weapon if you can avoid it. Maybe try dark infusion. The scaling is usually a tiny bit worse, but it uses both FTH and INT like chaos. Also the three dark pyromancies suck, so it's nice to have that other damage type to gently caress up fire-resistant foes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
To prepare an uiltra dancer-etc skipping twink for DLC early maybe might be an idea but it's not like they're going to enable poise or fix straightswords being the best weapon for PvP especially with their range even when it's not a fencing lunge attack so what's the use..

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Iretep posted:

yeah what is wrong with you? what could you possible need that early from lothric castle that you couldnt get through item transfer from an alt account?

I don't do it to get anything from Lothric Castle, usually. I just use it to get my builds done faster so I can play them through most of the game.

Since they are patching it out, I didn't do it with my most recent character. So I get used to it. :(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SynthOrange posted:

Why am I making a bunch of new characters and getting Sword Master to kill the Dancer for me? Just because I heard they're patching it out? Why? What's wrong with me? :darksouls:

A weapon with bleed and a decent fire res shield makes the Dancer a joke anyway.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

sector_corrector posted:

A weapon with bleed and a decent fire res shield makes the Dancer a joke anyway.

Yeah the char I got my ring achievement was with a Dex char. +10 Uchi, Carthous Rouge. NG+ was the first time I had solo'd the Dancer and she got clowned so hard I finished the fight with a red nose and covered in greasepaint. *swipe swipe swipe bleed swipe swipe swipe bleed swipe swipe swipe bleed swipe swipe swipe bleed dead*

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This heavy sorcerer build is so much fun to play. Farron Flashsword and Soul Greatsword are really fun to use for crowd killing. First game I've played using a non 100% physical res shield and I'm surprised at how light chip damage can be if you use Magic Shield.

Large Leather Shield/Crystal Short Sword is a surprisingly good combination despite my low stamina investment.

Probably going to have trouble with Pontiff Sulayvahn, but I'm really comfortable with melee since my first character was dex with light armor.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can get a +7 weapon and Carthus Rouge by the time you set foot into Smouldering Lake, which isn't exactly deep into the game, so it's not like it's impossible to kill Dancer pretty early by yourself.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Questline questions:

- I haven't met Patches yet; I've beaten the Deacons before raising all the bridges so missed him there. Went back into Firelink tower (after beating Wolnir) and got the estus ring but he didn't show up to lock me in. Have I missed him completely? My Seigward is currently in the well.

- Met Anri both times in the catacombs before I beat Wolnir. Then I found and defeated Horace but in the 'combs she's gone, leaving a prism stone behind. Have I broken things by killing Wolnir first?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Questline questions:

- I haven't met Patches yet; I've beaten the Deacons before raising all the bridges so missed him there. Went back into Firelink tower (after beating Wolnir) and got the estus ring but he didn't show up to lock me in. Have I missed him completely? My Seigward is currently in the well.

- Met Anri both times in the catacombs before I beat Wolnir. Then I found and defeated Horace but in the 'combs she's gone, leaving a prism stone behind. Have I broken things by killing Wolnir first?

Patches only locks you up if you go up the elevator in the tower.

Anris questline is fine, she never reappers in the catacombs afaik, you have to kill/find horace before talking to her at the wooden bridge.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 8, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Patches' most important trigger in the Cathedral is whether or not you've gone to the roof(elevator in the last shortcut near the Deacons' room.) Open the massive blue doors, bonfire or homeward back to the Shrine, reload at Cleansing and walk through those doors and check for Patches. If he isn't there or failing that go to the roof and drop down to Rosaria's/the bridge lever and then go to the tower behind Firelink and ride the elevator to the top.

If all that fails sorry, Patches is kind of a jerk. I learned this routine over 3 failures to see Patches in the Cathedral.

As for the Anri thing that doesn't sound good. I always talk to Anri both times in the catacombs(including at the bridge), snap the bridge, slide down and kill Horace then run back to inform Anri before I do Wolnir. You know you've done it right if you get Ring of the Evil Eye. You can hit the Church of Yorshka bonfire in Irithyll which is Anri's next scripted encounter to check for them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Questline questions:

- Try going past the exit to the giant tree in Firelink and see if Patches is standing at the end there.

- Nope. You'll find them at a church later on.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Doomykins posted:

As for the Anri thing that doesn't sound good. I always talk to Anri both times in the catacombs(including at the bridge), snap the bridge, slide down and kill Horace then run back to inform Anri before I do Wolnir. You know you've done it right if you get Ring of the Evil Eye. You can hit the Church of Yorshka bonfire in Irithyll which is Anri's next scripted encounter to check for them.

You get the Ring of the Evil Eye later. It sounds like he's done Anri's quest just fine, if he talked to Anri in two locations and killed Horace.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can get it from the bridge or the church, as long as MMG finds Anri in the church all is well.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

- Try going past the exit to the giant tree in Firelink and see if Patches is standing at the end there.
Try this. My first playthrough i went up the elevator to get the firekeeper soul and used the homeward miracle to warp back down. This apparently counted as triggering patches locking the door despite me never seeing it and he was just chilling in firelink shrine despite having never seen him before.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tengames posted:

Try this. My first playthrough i went up the elevator to get the firekeeper soul and used the homeward miracle to warp back down. This apparently counted as triggering patches locking the door despite me never seeing it and he was just chilling in firelink shrine despite having never seen him before.

You can hear the door swing shut as you go up the elevator to the firekeeper soul.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm thinking about what character to do once I finish my first playthrough (melee only, STR focus with greatshields). Any suggestions? It seems like all forms of magic suck this time, is that right? :(

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm thinking about what character to do once I finish my first playthrough (melee only, STR focus with greatshields). Any suggestions? It seems like all forms of magic suck this time, is that right? :(

Pyro. You DO want to set the world on fire. And you just want to start the first flame in your heart.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mystic Stylez posted:

Miracles are garbage, sorcery can hit like a truck but you have to abandon everything else to create the one true int build and may need to summon a tank for some bosses, pyro needs a lot of stat investment and certain bosses resist fire.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Pyro. You DO want to set the world on fire. And you just want to start the first flame in your heart.

This being said, pyro is strong but it really is an enhancement magic. You're not gonna spend all your time shooting lava. Although kiling aldritch in four fireballs is pretty funny.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

This being said, pyro is strong but it really is an enhancement magic. You're not gonna spend all your time shooting lava. Although kiling aldritch in four fireballs is pretty funny.

You totes can spend all your time shooting lava. Very few enemies in the game resist fire, a ton are weak to it, and for the scant few enemies that are fire resistant you can make due with dark orb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pyromancy's better than the other two for pure casters from what I've seen of it. it also opens up hexes for things that resist fire

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah pyros pretty decent for PVP too. Flame surge is good for finising people off and chaos orb is decent for putting pressure and tricking people with manual aim. Flame whip is also really useful in some situations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Manatee Cannon posted:

pyromancy's better than the other two for pure casters from what I've seen of it. it also opens up hexes for things that resist fire

Pretty much. It has dual scaling that is actually good, unlike the majority of split-scaling weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sorcery destroys in PvP. And miracles such as tears of denial are almost essential for PvP. Pure caster builds in each class can be made. I think a pure miracle caster build is harder to make but I just made a faith based character with the dragonslayer swordspear, axe, sunlight spear and divine pillars of light. I ran an invasion at the arch dragon peak and absolutely decimated a group of random dudes that kept holing up in the mausoleum. Divine pillars of light can go through walls, and so can the swordspears weapon art. Incredibly good combo!