Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Do any Dallas goons recommend a certain bike shop over another for work to be done? I know so little about bikes I feel like I should have one in the back of my mind if I get over my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I can tell you which one to avoid: Crossroads Cycle in Plano did a terrible job on my ninja when I first started riding

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
The place I used to tell people to go (Superbikes of Dallas) moved from Wylie to fuckin Caddo Mills. So i'm looking for a good local shop again, too.

Superbikes is a great shop, but caddo mills is a bit far.
If you want to try them anyway:

http://www.superbikesofdallas.com/
(3061 HWY 66, Caddo Mills, TX 75135.)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Places to avoid are just as important! Thanks

And eesh, sucks the good place is so far. Kind of a stretch to say "of Dallas" at that distance

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, I am going to do a ride this Sunday. Any requests for a route?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If it's a short run, we can just do the "normal" route. If you have the time, how about something west and south?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I have the whole day. I need to have a look at the map to see what we have available in the southwest.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

(Superbikes of Dallas)
It was kind of a stretch to call themselves Superbikes of Dallas before, even moreso now.

Two Wheel World in Garland (Shiloh Rd, maybe?) was pretty decent to me. Run by a somewhat grouchy old dude, though, so if you're equipped to deal with that they might be a good option.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 19, 2016

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Just a heads up folks, there *will* be a ride this Sunday. Something out southwest, probably past Granbury. Won't be FM4. I haven't put the route together yet. But it will probably be a long ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
What time and where do you want to meet up?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
We should do 9:00 at my place. I'll work on the route today.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
See you there.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Alright friends, this is what I got

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/zJJEsx

If you're interested in attending hit me with a PM and I'll give you my exact address.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Sorry I missed you guys--just got back from a Cub Scout campout. Hope everyone has/had a good safe ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

Sorry I missed you guys--just got back from a Cub Scout campout. Hope everyone has/had a good safe ride.

It was a good and safe ride save for one stand out issue. One of the roads we were on had a water crossing (2 actually but we didn't attempt the second one.) The concrete had fast moving water on it and from being wet all of the time had really slick algae all over it. Only one of us went down and the forward made the bike slide off the algae. Some scrapes on the bike, a broken mirror, bruised pride and maybe some bruises today were all the came of it luckily.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
It sucks that happened but I'm glad there weren't serious injuries. Who all made it out?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Me, my bro, and Skreemer

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Any of y'all go to cars and coffee? Thinking about hitting it up this Saturday

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Not normally, for me personally I don't get out of the office until 10AM Saturdays. It's not that far from where I live, I'll swing by after work if there's anything left by the time I'm out of the office.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Cars and Coffee?

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
If you guys ever need to borrow a jack for your Motorcycle/ATV I picked up a Craftsman Professional with a 1500lb rating. I live downtown.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Welp, I survived friends. Surgery was a success. I should go home tomorrow!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Glad to hear it. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Good to hear sir. Get better. Let us know if you need anything.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I was out with a coworker on Monday. We were taking random roads north and west of Plano. One of the county roads we went down turned into a fairly well packed gravel road. About half a mile in it turned into black clay. I was hanging back and slithered to a stop as soon as I saw it. My coworker went about 50 yards when the clay collecting on his tires got trapped in the fender and stopped the front wheel from spinning. He ended up drat near going into the ditch. It took us an hour and a half to dig it out, get it turned around and back onto the gravel road.

True adventuring, taking the wrong equipment where it isn't supposed to go.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I did the same a couple weeks ago

We had been traveling in the rain on some very well packed gravel. I saw the color change to solid red but didn't think much of it. Turns out it was some of the stickiest clay ever. I made it about 15 feet in and did a 200 degree spin. (My bike is pointed roughly the same direction it landed).

We scouted further than that as it seemed like we could travel along the edge of the road covered in twigs / leaves. But we kept getting stuck even with our boots. And the clay continued at least as far as we could see from the next bend. Elected to just turn around.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Stay safe out there folks. Things are getting a bit crazy out there.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Probably a bit late to be posting about it, but there's a meet on the third Saturday of every month at 11A at Maxim Honda Yamaha over in Allen. Ride-out at 1PM. Free hot dogs, too!

Today's was excellent. Got to meet a bunch of riders, including YouTube nerds like JakeTGS, Yammie Noob, MotoSwag, etc. Didn't get to demo the Zero electric bikes (gotta be 21) but they were very cool regardless. The group ride was fun as hell, my first one, and there was quite a lot of hooliganism - countless wheelies, a couple burnouts, revving under every bridge, and one (thankfully single-vehicle, no major injuries to bike or rider) crash. Ended at an fundraiser event in Carrollton for the families of the cops that got shot. Tearing up the streets was a blast.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Floating it out there, Sunday September 4th at 11am, I'm going to be showing the British GP from Silverstone. I'll grill some brats, furnish your own drinks as I know nothing about alcohol.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

N is for Nipples posted:

Probably a bit late to be posting about it, but there's a meet on the third Saturday of every month at 11A at Maxim Honda Yamaha over in Allen. Ride-out at 1PM. Free hot dogs, too!

Today's was excellent. Got to meet a bunch of riders, including YouTube nerds like JakeTGS, Yammie Noob, MotoSwag, etc. Didn't get to demo the Zero electric bikes (gotta be 21) but they were very cool regardless. The group ride was fun as hell, my first one, and there was quite a lot of hooliganism - countless wheelies, a couple burnouts, revving under every bridge, and one (thankfully single-vehicle, no major injuries to bike or rider) crash. Ended at an fundraiser event in Carrollton for the families of the cops that got shot. Tearing up the streets was a blast.

I live right down the street from there, more or less. I'll have to check that out on the 17th.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Sunday October 16th at 11am, I invite anyone wanting to, to drop by and watch MotoGP and WSBK, both series has a race this weekend.

Also note that on October 28th and 29th Lone Star Yamaha in Irving is having a demo day.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Sunday October 16th at 11am, I invite anyone wanting to, to drop by and watch MotoGP and WSBK, both series has a race this weekend.

Also note that on October 28th and 29th Lone Star Yamaha in Irving is having a demo day.

Where's the spot? This sounds like fun.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
for directions to my place send an email to my username @gmail.com

Lone Star Yamaha is at 520 W Airport Fwy, Irving, TX 75062

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I should check in here, but usually work weekends so can't make many group rides. If any of you see a red ZX14 in the Carrollton area, flag me down and say hi. I am the big, goofy looking guy in white/black gear.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
because we're in Texas and so is the reseller company:

Motorcycle superstore is having a end of year close out on MotoCentric riding gear and accessories (boots pants gloves jackets luggage garage stuff) @ near 70% off.

Example, their 2015 touring jacket is 64.95
the 2015 mesh street jacket is 59.95
touring riding boots for 39.95
riding pants 39.95 (for the jeans style) to 59.95 for the mesh over pants for 59.95

You can get gear , that's decent, almost head to toe for under 200$.

other stuff like the luggage and paddock stands are cheap too. 15$ each for a front and rear paddock stand 7$ for handle bar tie down straps. etc etc.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Want to try and do a ride this weekend? It's about time for one, since the weather is nicer.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

nitrogen posted:

Want to try and do a ride this weekend? It's about time for one, since the weather is nicer.

I'm free on Sunday and would love to get a good ride in.

Also, hi! I just finished moving from Austin to Irving and haven't really ridden around DFW much outside of dodging oblivious highway murderers.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

I'm up for it, where do you want to meet?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Odds are high I'll flake out but I'd be interested if it's on the east side of DFW. My current bike isn't a huge fan of doing more than 60 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Man, it's been forever, or feels like it anyway. I need to check the family activity schedule but would love to get out.

• Locked thread