Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Epic High Five posted:

Must watch for anybody just tuning in:

The leadup to the :effort: Trump speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2pqX27lc-4

I thought the baddies weren't allowed to use Apple products :confused: How will I know who the real terrorists are on the upcoming season of 24 if they don't have to use Dell?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Clinton wearing a fancy old lady jacket will never top Mitt Romney's private jet popping out of a hangar in Columbus to the tune of Fanfare For The Common Man.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Thanks for at least making substantive points rather than pretending that voicing concern that she would 'absent-mindedly' wear a $12k jacket is equivalent to asking her to shoplift from Goodwill, or that it's just an "expensive" item rather than an utterly decadent one.

To the first,

To the second, I'll believe her rhetoric on taxes when I see her fight for it. A lot of my complaint comes down to trust: her policies over the years have shifted so drastically with public opinion, that it's hard to believe that she truly stands for the positions she currently asserts she has.

Look we get it. Your candidate lost, you feel hurt, your sense of purpose has been damaged, your life view of politics and how it all works has been challenged, your concerned but yet, you feel impotent and unfulfilled. It's OK, we understand. But, there's lots more to this election to come and, even though you may not think so now, it's OK to compromise on what you thought was perfection to advance your ideas even a little bit. It's politics man and it happens every two years.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

sean10mm posted:

Bernie has very little leverage after getting his rear end beat in California and New Jersey. The best he can do now is offer unconditional support to Clinton in return for some token concessions on committees and poo poo. Anything less and they'll tell him to go gently caress himself because they have the votes to do anything they want when push comes to shove.

Its hilarious that people think a committee position is a reward for selling out your beliefs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

comes along bort posted:

The party will play nice because they want his donor list. This is why all the Clinton flaks on cable last night were saying they're gonna "give him space" to finish out next week.

Plus he already got five picks on the platform committee at the DNC, which is largely meaningless.

I'm not sure if pithy tweets and long-form screeds from the staff of the intercept qualify as donations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Clinton wearing a fancy old lady jacket will never top Mitt Romney's private jet popping out of a hangar in Columbus to the tune of Fanfare For The Common Man.

Yea, a $12k jacket doesn't hold a candle to Mitt "Car elevator and dressage horse" Romney or Donald "All of my poo poo is gold" Trump.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Three female scholars react to Hillary Clinton nomination

Phone-posting, so can't quote well, but the The Conversation's facebook summarized their points thusly:

"Three perspectives on Hillary Clinton's victories on #primaryday, and her historic first:
1) "The best predictor of a state’s peacefulness is how well its women are treated."
2) "No other woman in American history has successfully negotiated the cross-cutting pressures of the feminist movements that bore her."
3) "This race is poised to be divisive and demoralizing." "

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Hey McAlister, you are a Good Poster. Your posts are thought-through and a lot less prone to hyperbole and aggression than the vast majority of stuff in USPol. Please keep up the effortposting.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

radical meme posted:

Look we get it. Your candidate lost, you feel hurt, your sense of purpose has been damaged, your life view of politics and how it all works has been challenged, your concerned but yet, you feel impotent and unfulfilled. It's OK, we understand. But, there's lots more to this election to come and, even though you may not think so now, it's OK to compromise on what you thought was perfection to advance your ideas even a little bit. It's politics man and it happens every two years.
No? I went into this primary season knowing full-well Bernie would lose—check my post history. Would you care to respond to the substantive points raised rather than projecting your emotional entanglement with your candidate?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WampaLord posted:

Yea, a $12k jacket doesn't hold a candle to Mitt "Car elevator and dressage horse" Romney or Donald "All of my poo poo is gold" Trump.

Not to mention a decent domestic-facing leather jacket with a proper fleece lining is going to start at $1500. Granted, these are two different price-of-a-car classes we're talking about but at least they're both used cars.

Romney had mansions in 3 timezones and one had an elevator for his cars.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also do we really think that she actually paid for that suit coat or whatever or was it more than likely gifted

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

No? I went into this primary season knowing full-well Bernie would lose—check my post history. Would you care to respond to the substantive points raised rather than projecting your emotional entanglement with your candidate?

I would if I gave a gently caress about any of those things.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FAUXTON posted:

Not to mention a decent domestic-facing leather jacket with a proper fleece lining is going to start at $1500. Granted, these are two different price-of-a-car classes we're talking about but at least they're both used cars.

It's not even made from anything rare, it's just tweed according to the papers. Which is a little rough for a city speech, you know? Fabric choice is important, people. And it was off the rack, from Armani, which doesn't signal an emphasis on craftsmanship and personalization. You could get that whole outfit, and I mean everything down to your socks and underwear, tailor-made right here in America for far less than $12.5k. What message does that send about her fiscal policy?

Absolutely nothing, of course.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shuka posted:

Its hilarious that people think a committee position is a reward for selling out your beliefs.

It's more that he can't demand more than that and expect to actually get it.

Had he gotten more votes he might have been able to make more demands and actually expect them to be taken seriously, but he's not in that position. Instead he's the guy who struck a defiant note on Monday, and then immediately got plowed everywhere that mattered on Tuesday.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw I wouldn't hold anything against a rich person spending their money, if they consume they take part in the economy and enrich everyone by a bit

it's the assholes that sit on their riches to capture rent that you need to worry about

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you think a $12,000 anything is a lot of money in the context of the USA's wealth inequality, then you have no idea how much wealth the top 1% actually hold.

If you think it's hypocrisy then you're dumb because no one is proposing taking away the Armani coats of the well-to-do, not even Sanders.

The problem is a handful of people holding huge chunks of our natural resources and directing huge pieces of our economy, not ladies wearing loving nice coats sometimes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Why do I get the feeling that the people making a fuss about Hillary's expensive clothes would make a fuss if she'd worn cheap clothes? They're already angry at her and are happy to use any excuse that presents itself to continue being angry at her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chantilly Say posted:

It's not even made from anything rare, it's just tweed according to the papers. Which is a little rough for a city speech, you know? Fabric choice is important, people. And it was off the rack, from Armani, which doesn't signal an emphasis on craftsmanship and personalization. You could get that whole outfit, and I mean everything down to your socks and underwear, tailor-made right here in America for far less than $12.5k. What message does that send about her fiscal policy?

Absolutely nothing, of course.

Well she doesn't dress in sackcloth so she has no legitimacy in discussing wealth inequality :v:

E: everyone concerned about clothes should look into the reaches of Dennis Kozlowski's excess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why do I get the feeling USPol continues to be the easiest to troll thread?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Hootington posted:

Beep boop buncha loving losers here getting excited/distressed about the governance of their city/state/country, abort retry fail?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

WampaLord posted:

FAUXTON posted:

It seems a bit odd to talk about how the Clintons' luxuries are just necessities in the harsh glare of national politics, but Republicans' luxuries are proof they are out of touch with real, hard-working Americans.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I feel as though the jacket thing may not be about the jacket.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FAUXTON posted:

Beep boop buncha loving losers here getting excited/distressed about the governance of their city/state/country, tweed jacket of my Abuela abort retry fail?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's mi abuela buddy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

General politics discussion attracts uninformed yet passionate idiots, who knew.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

If you think a $12,000 anything is a lot of money in the context of the USA's wealth inequality, then you have no idea how much wealth the top 1% actually hold.

If you think it's hypocrisy then you're dumb because no one is proposing taking away the Armani coats of the well-to-do, not even Sanders.

The problem is a handful of people holding huge chunks of our natural resources and directing huge pieces of our economy, not ladies wearing loving nice coats sometimes.
but it's the principal of the thing :qq:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Has anyone looked up how much most candidates suits/shoes cost this is important

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't think that Suit-Ghazi counts as a substantive point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On Terra Firma posted:

Has anyone looked up how much most candidates suits/shoes cost this is important

Trump probably pays a lot for his suits, not so much for the material but hiring a wizard tailor costs a pretty penny.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
maybe stop reacting to the one post about the suit and we can move on

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Trump probably pays a lot for his suits, not so much for the material but hiring a wizard tailor costs a pretty penny.

That's sort of my point. Dudes are going to spend a shitload of money on clothes too just nobody cares.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

Well she doesn't dress in sackcloth so she has no legitimacy in discussing wealth inequality :v:

E: everyone concerned about clothes should look into the reaches of Dennis Kozlowski's excess.

The issue of clothing does have a place in politics. You can read stories about Jackie Kennedy's clothes written by both lovers and haters. Nancy Reagan was a fashionista and drew a lot of hate for it. It's usually a criticism thrown at women in politics and I expect what Hillary wears and when and where she wears it will be a hot topic. Rarely does it come up for men in politics. Just look at the absolute fashion mess that is Rand Paul; following in the footsteps of his father. I have no doubt that all of Trump's suits, and shirts are hand made for him and it shows; he's well dressed and if nothing else, he looks Presidential.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On Terra Firma posted:

That's sort of my point. Dudes are going to spend a shitload of money on clothes too just nobody cares.

Nobody should care, either. They're on television and traveling pretty much all the time so you can see why they spend a ton on appearances.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hey have you guys heard about that cryptoIslamocommuNazi Barack HUSSEIN Obama ordering FRENCH loving MUSTARD on his hamburger? What's wrong with good old American yellow mustard?!? Look at this poo poo, there's no way he's an American?

Do you guys remember that from (I think) '09? MUSTARD-GATE?!?!

You people talking about Hillary's jacket are just as stupid as the people complaining about Obama's mustard.

I had a feeling that Bernie was going to flame out rather than fade away. Now the only question is how bad are the flames he's stoking going to burn him. This is what happens when you basically accomplish very little during your political career and then suddenly one day you have tens of thousands of people telling you you're the Messiah for months on end. It's not surprising, but it is pretty disappointing.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

sean10mm posted:

It's more that he can't demand more than that and expect to actually get it.

Had he gotten more votes he might have been able to make more demands and actually expect them to be taken seriously, but he's not in that position. Instead he's the guy who struck a defiant note on Monday, and then immediately got plowed everywhere that mattered on Tuesday.

Thats a very fair assessment and i thank you for the serious reply. I just think that he doesnt care about positions, titles, or even the nomination if he thought he could get the govt focused on people and not corporations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If a politician says that they're going to want to do something to alleviate income inequality, then we would obviously look towards whether or not they deliver on that promise. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

In that context, what does it matter what they're wearing? If it's appropriate to the speech (expensive clothes? cheap clothes? just-right clothes?), does that mean we won't need to wait anymore because we're already convinced that they'll follow through?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

On Terra Firma posted:

Remember when Obama went to a press conference wearing a tan suit? He could have announced he was outlawing blowjobs and every news outlet would still have been talking about that suit.

And it was bad! It didn't loving fit properly, drat it! You're the President! Why do you have a collar gap?!

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

Last I heard he wears Brioni, and their OTR stuff is like $7k+, so I'm sure he's dropping fat stacks on bespoke.
He should wear Martin Greenfield, or another American, like Obama does though.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Going into the GE it'll probably transition more towards a form of performance art that challenges base reality so enjoy it while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I think that the true issue here is that that $12K thing looked like a shower curtain.

e: or maybe it's me who has no taste (more likely).

• Locked thread