Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
This game actually runs pretty smoothly on my old laptop with appropriate settings set of course. Oddly enough, the only place where it really struggles is the mission selection menu, where the FPS just plummets and it's really sluggish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to look around in the cockpit using KB/M controls? I don't have head tracking or VR and it's kinda hard to stay aware of what is going on around me.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to look around in the cockpit using KB/M controls? I don't have head tracking or VR and it's kinda hard to stay aware of what is going on around me.
There isn't. However I'd like to suggest Kairo to add Left Control to free-view in cockpit.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Also, I'd be great if the codex had a ship entry that expanded as you encounter new classes. Some intel on the capabilities and a little fluff on each design too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Aesis posted:

There isn't. However I'd like to suggest Kairo to add Left Control to free-view in cockpit.

Yeah this would be a godsend - just a quick way to look above/behind you to keep an eye on things. Drift kiiiinda works for this but isn't ideal.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

After seeing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuQsdkIdIZA I am interested

How is the HOTAS support?

Does flying around the tactical map with a VR headset on make you want to throw up?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kairo, could you post the default keybindings for controllers? I'm trying to setup my HOTAS and it'd be alot easier if I knew which things were important. I got most of the flight stuff sorted but I'm having trouble figuring out what's important in the tactical view.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey Kairo do you pronounce it like Cairo Egypt or like Cairo Illinois? This is a sincere question.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
+1 for hotas help/support

Controller is great when playing it flat, but it feels incredibly silly sitting in a VR cockpit with my hotas right next to me, using my controller... Was I just being dense or can you only bind one controller to be used at a time? So I'll need to make a virtual joystick to get this to work, still might do it. Cool game none-the-less.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Aesis posted:

Is there a way to lock my mouse so it doesn't act like Freelancer-style turret shoot? I want to try Freespace-style control (no turret shooty).

Open the console '~' and type: controls.weaponsgimbaltocursor 0

See if this works for you.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Wanderer89 posted:

+1 for hotas help/support

Controller is great when playing it flat, but it feels incredibly silly sitting in a VR cockpit with my hotas right next to me, using my controller... Was I just being dense or can you only bind one controller to be used at a time? So I'll need to make a virtual joystick to get this to work, still might do it. Cool game none-the-less.

Yeah it's HOTOS right now. What's this Virtual Joystick malarkey?

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah it's HOTOS right now. What's this Virtual Joystick malarkey?

You can use vjoy to create a 'virtual joystick' that combines buttons/axes of multiple real joysticks, I'm thinking that might work. Have also seen others suggest x360ce which might be a simpler solution, but I'm not familiar with it.

Wanderer89 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 8, 2016

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I seem to have run into a bug with Blockade Run at Bastille Gate. Killed everything including the Traitor Flagship and the mission doesn't complete. Played it a second time with the same result but found a warpout objective that wasn't highlighted, spent like 2 minutes going through warp, and then got dumped off in nowhere with the whole fleet.

Also the game keeps forgetting my controller between sessions.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

darnon posted:

I seem to have run into a bug with Blockade Run at Bastille Gate. Killed everything including the Traitor Flagship and the mission doesn't complete. Played it a second time with the same result but found a warpout objective that wasn't highlighted, spent like 2 minutes going through warp, and then got dumped off in nowhere with the whole fleet.

A fix is getting pushed in a few minutes (with a bunch of other things).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Edit: What do you mean it keeps getting forgotten? Do you mean bindings? Or that it exists in general? What kind of controller?

Kairo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 8, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Krazyface posted:

Hey Kairo do you pronounce it like Cairo Egypt or like Cairo Illinois? This is a sincere question.

I'm now dying to know how they butcher the pronunciation of "Cairo" in Illinois.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kare-o.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Antti posted:

I'm now dying to know how they butcher the pronunciation of "Cairo" in Illinois.

The same way they ruin "Medina" in Ohio.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So I got a chance to compare controller versus joystick. I have an old Cyborg3d, so a very basic stick but it still works.

For everyone asking about HOTAS: the game is not great with a throttle. The way speed management works with the controller is that you have boost & brake, but those are really just momentary 100% and 0% to the throttle. The rest of the time you have 50% throttle. You turn really slow at 100% speed. If you go with analog throttle, boost/brake are meaningless and might as well be unbound (pressing boost while at 100% throttle does nothing).

So using a throttle, you're adjusting it constantly because turn rate is so massively dependent on speed. Way moreso than x-wing I think. I imagine this would be quite a workout with a HOTAS.

Also, you will need to set up your throttle to be positive axis only -- by default the ship goes in reverse with negative axis. Kairo, I'd call this a bug.

Overall joystick is quite playable, but setting it up is a chore, covering the functions in tactical mode might be annoying, and you don't get UI hints. IMHO analog throttle is a dubious proposition.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Klyith posted:

Also, you will need to set up your throttle to be positive axis only -- by default the ship goes in reverse with negative axis. Kairo, I'd call this a bug.

I didn't even know it was possible for my ships to move in reverse!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
lol god drat it

i hate when you only have one interceptor left and die and you spawn into the remaining interceptor and it's like 2 feet away from slamming into one of your own people

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Kairo posted:

Oh, that's a bug, I was using that for a while and was going to report the reverse not working on gamepads.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

lol god drat it

i hate when you only have one interceptor left and die and you spawn into the remaining interceptor and it's like 2 feet away from slamming into one of your own people

The AI cheat and can steer a bit better than you. This makes it easier to write AI for but makes situations like this occur, so one thing you can do is just unpause the game and let them get themselves out of it.

EDIT: The reverse bug will be fixed in the next update. I was clamping it in the wrong spot. Thanks for the heads up.

TheMostFrench posted:

Encountered a bug:

I tried to retry the mission from the pause menu immediately after an interceptor died. The screen went black as usual and the game tried to move me onto my next ship, but I'm locked in the tactical view, none of the buttons do anything and I had to kill it from the task manager.

e:
Not sure if its related to the game, but I seem to get a big fps hit after me or an ally use the gap drive, it goes away after a few seconds.

Thanks for these -- I'll look at them soon. I think I know what the FPS hit with the gap drive is.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 8, 2016

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kairo posted:

Edit: What do you mean it keeps getting forgotten? Do you mean bindings? Or that it exists in general? What kind of controller?

That it exists in general (had to keep running 'assign controller'), it's a Logitech F310 running in XInput mode. Although just fired up the game with the latest update push and it seems to have remembered it just fine.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Kairo posted:

I can't speak for darnon, but my stick always shows up as the default device, even if I have a 360/XB1 pad plugged in, and even if that gamepad was set as active the last time the game was quit. Since nothing on that stick is bound, that can make menu navigation a bit difficult (particularly in VR). I can just unplug the stick prior to launching the game, but I have it plugged in to a hub on my desk which makes that easy. I can see it being considerably more annoying to someone with a less convenient cable setup.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

I can't speak for darnon, but my stick always shows up as the default device, even if I have a 360/XB1 pad plugged in, and even if that gamepad was set as active the last time the game was quit. Since nothing on that stick is bound, that can make menu navigation a bit difficult (particularly in VR). I can just unplug the stick prior to launching the game, but I have it plugged in to a hub on my desk which makes that easy. I can see it being considerably more annoying to someone with a less convenient cable setup.

Does it forget after a reboot of your system? Or does it forget every time you just boot the game. I wonder if the middleware goes off the first recognized device.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Kairo posted:

Does it forget after a reboot of your system? Or does it forget every time you just boot the game. I wonder if the middleware goes off the first recognized device.
Every time. I'm pretty sure it is just taking the first recognized device.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is Kairo a dev for this game?

If yes, would it be possible to add text scaling for VR mode? It is really hard to read the Mission descriptions and stuff. Game is awesome with a Vive otherwise.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

I think this is a problem relating to the way Windows handles game controllers. Not positive, but I think the list in Device Manager is sequential in priority and Windows assumes you want to use a joystick over even mouse control in a game that uses any related device drivers. Ditto over my X360 gamepad, before that went missing in a move.

I basically always have my joystick unplugged unless I'm using it specifically because it gets defaulted to over the mouse, even if I prefer KBM control for a particular game. Elite comes to mind specifically.

Basically,

Kairo posted:

I wonder if the middleware goes off the first recognized device.

This is what I'm saying, in other words.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 8, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

keyframe posted:

Kairo is the dev for the game. One man show, aside from music and writing and stuff (I think.)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kairo posted:

The AI cheat and can steer a bit better than you. This makes it easier to write AI for but makes situations like this occur, so one thing you can do is just unpause the game and let them get themselves out of it.

yeah unfortunately i'm so into the action i just mash the back button to get back into it instead of zooming in and examining the last interceptor but eh

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

HiroProtagonist posted:

I think this is a problem relating to the way Windows handles game controllers. Not positive, but I think the list in Device Manager is sequential in priority and Windows assumes you want to use a joystick over even mouse control in a game that uses any related device drivers. Ditto over my X360 gamepad, before that went missing in a move.

I basically always have my joystick unplugged unless I'm using it specifically because it gets defaulted to over the mouse, even if I prefer KBM control for a particular game. Elite comes to mind specifically.
Some games handle it better than others. But yeah, I'm no stranger to goofy joystick-related issues, which is a big reason why I have the hub it's plugged in to within easy reach.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

keyframe posted:

If yes, would it be possible to add text scaling for VR mode? It is really hard to read the Mission descriptions and stuff. Game is awesome with a Vive otherwise.

The mission descriptions are definitely the worst offender in VR. I'll try doing something about them very soon. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Explanation for some of this stuff:

I try to save time wherever I can, and using SteamVR to project the normal 2D overlay is a great way of doing this. Sometimes it's not great because the text is so small to begin with in 2D. I'll keep knocking these out on a case-by-case basis, probably doing some conditional scaling for VR.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 8, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kairo posted:

Hahaha

I thought it was a cool maneuvering feature. It's handy for keeping your distance while using the longrifle.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Alright, alright. Every mission done on every difficulty. No achievement for doing all Harbingers?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Alright, alright. Every mission done on every difficulty. No achievement for doing all Harbingers?

There is. Indirectly. Beat the last mission again! And pay attention to your choices

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I will do so after work, I was going to anyhow to get all the ones for picking the different options

Noticed there's a couple more choices after beating it the 2nd and 3rd times :getin:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

I will do so after work, I was going to anyhow to get all the ones for picking the different options

Noticed there's a couple more choices after beating it the 2nd and 3rd times :getin:

This stuff was all General Battuta's idea and it literally went in hours before Early Access went live. He was like, "Well, this is probably terrible to suggest..." but it was worth it. I loved it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kairo posted:

The mission descriptions are definitely the worst offender in VR. I'll try doing something about them very soon. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Explanation for some of this stuff:

I try to save time wherever I can, and using SteamVR to project the normal 2D overlay is a great way of doing this. Sometimes it's not great because the text is so small to begin with in 2D. I'll keep knocking these out on a case-by-case basis, probably doing some conditional scaling for VR.

Thanks! And for what it's worth I got super motion sick in games like project cars,DCS and hover junkers but I played ESF for an hour straight yesterday and was fine. Have you done anything special to reduce motion sickness? Curious why I don't get it in your game.

Also hope this is a huge success for you and you add multiplayer down the line. :)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Replayed some for more lore snippits so I got to confirm that this game runs spectacularly on my PC despite it being a walking corpse, but when I look at Rhaal'tum it cries and it cries and it cries, and I don't know if anything could really be done about that but it'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Orv posted:

Replayed some for more lore snippits so I got to confirm that this game runs spectacularly on my PC despite it being a walking corpse, but when I look at Rhaal'tum it cries and it cries and it cries, and I don't know if anything could really be done about that but it'd be nice.

Do you mean in the mission or the starmap?

Those nuke shaders are pretty expensive in general. Maybe I can find a way to optimize them.

What kind of video card is in your walking corpse of a PC?

• Locked thread