Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real_Horrorshow
Jun 22, 2004
Easily Aroused
Is there a thread consensus on the best way to secure your dog for a short car trip? I was recommended the ClickIt Utility Harness (http://www.amazon.com/ClickIt-Utility-Dog-Safety-Harness/dp/B00FQR94IG), but I wanted to see what the goon opinion was. I know the crate is always an option, but it seems like a lot of hassle for a short trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got this generic seatbelt

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FR8249U

and a separate harness that doesnt fit her anymore. Living dangerously with no seatbelt now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So little Harley didn't go in the house at all over the weekend - kept her in my sight 24/7 and went for a walk every hour or so. Then I come back from work today to hear that she pooped in the 3 hours between me leaving and my roommate getting up, even though she'd been doing very well during the day, and then after he let her out and she came back in, she peed in his room during the two minutes he was in the bathroom. Just now, too -- she had dinner and went for a short walk, during which she peed, and then she somehow wandered off and pooped in his bedroom within 10 minutes of coming inside.

I didn't yell at her this time, just showed her the poop, said "go out", and took her and the poop into the backyard for a bit and showed her the poop outside. Then I sprayed the area down really good with Nature's Miracle -- I've gone through almost a full bottle just going over these sites and some of her past poop spots. (No More Marking, right?)

What gets me, though, is that she never had any accidents at the vet or with the lady who kept her for a few days, they said she seemed perfectly housebroken. Here, though, it's like she doesn't even bother asking to go out, just poops or pees whenever she feels the urge. Last week I fixed her dinner, turned around for literally a couple minutes to clean up the counter, and she had already wolfed down her food, peed on the rug, and was sitting next to it looking up at me expectantly. I just don't understand why there would be such a change. We're going to have to get a crate for her during the day, but even if we use it for a while and all of her business is done outside, I don't see how that teaches her not to just poop inside whenever she feels like it - it seems like part of the training has to be to come tell us to let her out when she has to go, right?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 7, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Well, my little dog has never signalled in any way to go out. She's 4 1/2 and came to us a couple months ago as a potty-trained rescue. Basically she tries to hold it inside and I just have to take her out periodically so she'll go. She does have some accidents, so things aren't perfect. But my point is that apparently not all dogs signal (I've been told Lhasas in particular don't, which is what she is). And she'll hold it for 9-10 hours overnight and again during my workday.

ETA: She had a lot more accidents when she was new to us. Now that she's settled in, she doesn't. I don't know if it's reduced anxiety or the fact that she recognizes the house as her home or what, but she just doesn't do it that much. We walk her around the block (it's a long block) 3 times a day, and I never bring her back inside until she's peed at least.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I grew up with dogs who would either signal us or recognize "Do you wanna go out?" and jump at the door, which would probably be ideal for both of us. But like I said, I've been taking her out every hour or so, and she'll often poop within 15 minutes of coming inside, which makes it seem like she either doesn't recognize that going outside is her time to do her business, or that inside business is just as good as outside business, and so I'm not sure how anything proposed is going to teach her to hold it in like your little girl does, let alone recognize "go out" as "time to do my business".

I forgot to mention that I also got a training clicker, and I tried charging it with her a bit over the weekend, and I've added a click and a treat to the praise she gets when she does it outside, so I guess that's positive reinforcement, but it doesn't feel like that's the entire lesson, either.

(e: she almost always pees when we go out - its really poop that's the problem. But if she happens to feel the urge to pee during the hour between walks, it seems like she'll just do it on the carpet anyway.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 7, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Made the mistake of looking up show GSDs today after remembering that I grew up with a working one

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

pookel posted:

The one odd thing was that last night she just wouldn't settle down at bedtime. Normally she's pretty content at night, but she was really restless - jumping around, snuffling at things, chewing her toes, and even chewing on some cardboard, which I've never seen her do before. She didn't whine or act needy, though. Is that likely to mean anything? Maybe just a little anxiety at being left alone longer than usual? The other thing that's different is that this weekend my friend came over with her similarly-sized dog (bichon cross) and the little furballs went nuts playing together. I wasn't sure they'd be friendly and I was all ready to give her some space, but they got along wonderfully. Maybe she was still keyed up from the excitement of getting to play with another dog?

My Havanese won't settle at night (or will take longer than usual to settle) if he hasn't had enough stimulation during the day. So if he misses out on a walk or doesn't get as much time to run around the backyard as he usually does he will protest by running around the bedroom for a while when I go to bed until he gives up and goes to sleep.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My 11 month vizsla Stanley was leading a dog in a game of chase today at the dog park and slammed into a picnic table trying to run beneath it.

He yelped once and skid to a stop. He sat up and let his front leg just hung limp.

I nearly puked as I thought he broke his leg. I felt around and nothing seemed out of place or seemed to trigger any pain h touching it. I held him for a bit just to settle him down. He eventually got up and walked on his own weight without limping or effort. He had me pretty worried. Nothing looks swollen, he's still wanting to run and jump. It's as if nothing happened but I'm going to monitor him to see if a vet visit is in order.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I posted something similar in the mutts thread, but I thought I'd share my new addition here too because... well, it's been a long-rear end time since I owned a puppy and I'm sure I could use some advice.

My old awesome dog tess died recently. She was a pommy/something - tiny, friendly, and just the best dog. She was also 20 years old and very set in her ways. The wife and I were intending to wait a few more months and then look at rescuing an older dog.

Instead...

A friend of my brother was in a lovely situation where his living and working arrangements got suddenly, unavoidably changed. He had a 6-month-old dalmation / blue heeler puppy that couldn't go with him. I said I'd adopt the dog if he didn't immediately chase my cat. He pretty much ignored the cat in their test visit.

This is Karl, he is my dog now.

He's very chill for a puppy. He spends most of his inside time sleeping or just lying there, although he runs in that goofy puppy way in the yard and is a fast walker (doesn't pull much, is easily verbally distracted from pulling or stopping).

He wasn't trained, but knew Sit and Come, to an extent. He's scary smart though. In the last 48 hours, he's re-learned both of those to the point where I don't need to use hand gestures or treats, and has got Drop and (go to) bed right maybe 9/10 times.

I got him a (semi-prefab) dog house today since he's going to be sleeping outside. I was expecting problems with that, since my wife insisted on sleeping on the couch "to keep an eye on him" for the first two nights. There was no problem at all though!

I assembled the house, with Karl inspecting to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I got him to go in and out by showing him some kibble and throwing it in there a piece at a time. I thought he was reluctant to go in, but he was just looking behind the doghouse in case it'd gone back there before he used the door and went inside. I fed him in there tonight after his (3rd, huge) walk. Then after he fell asleep on his "bed" (blanket on the couch), I waited a little while, woke him up, took him and the blanket outside, put the blanket in the doghouse, and was getting ready to say "Bed!" when he looked at me, looked at the door, went in the doghouse, and fell asleep in roughly 30 seconds. He's still there. I've been out twice to move bins and grab a hammer I left outside and he hasn't stirred. I lucked out, right?

The only thing left that I'm worried about is how he and the cat are going to get along. Coco the cat was chill with old Tess, but isn't very happy about Karl. Karl seems scared of (or maybe worried by) Coco, which isn't too bad. They're being kept separate for now. Coco lies on Karls blanket while Karl is outside, Karl was given one of Coco's blankets to lie on. We've had a couple of supervised, leashed visits (with the pup tired out from walk/training) without any real drama - Coco hissed but didn't initially leave the room, while Karl backed up with his tail and head down, then Coco walked out and Karl watched her leave but didn't move and was then quickly and easily distracted.

There's toddler gates at the top of the stairs (3 stairs) up from the loungeroom which is the only way out to the doghouse, and another halfway up the hall to the bedroom which is Coco's safe room. Coco's able to get through the gates, Karl is not. Karl will be kept mostly in the loungeroom for now when he is inside. Coco will be confined to the bedroom while Karl is inside unless Karl is leashed and/or the loungeroom door (not just toddler gate) is closed. Karl will be outside if nobody is home, and Coco is an inside-only cat. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I should be doing to ease things out between them?

e: Also, he's housetrained, only seems to poop on his walks (awesome!), and does the same horrible farts that every blue heeler I've ever met does which I'm hoping to fix via diet.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 8, 2016

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Phenotype posted:

So little Harley didn't go in the house at all over the weekend - kept her in my sight 24/7 and went for a walk every hour or so. Then I come back from work today to hear that she pooped in the 3 hours between me leaving and my roommate getting up, even though she'd been doing very well during the day, and then after he let her out and she came back in, she peed in his room during the two minutes he was in the bathroom. Just now, too -- she had dinner and went for a short walk, during which she peed, and then she somehow wandered off and pooped in his bedroom within 10 minutes of coming inside.

I didn't yell at her this time, just showed her the poop, said "go out", and took her and the poop into the backyard for a bit and showed her the poop outside. Then I sprayed the area down really good with Nature's Miracle -- I've gone through almost a full bottle just going over these sites and some of her past poop spots. (No More Marking, right?)

What gets me, though, is that she never had any accidents at the vet or with the lady who kept her for a few days, they said she seemed perfectly housebroken. Here, though, it's like she doesn't even bother asking to go out, just poops or pees whenever she feels the urge. Last week I fixed her dinner, turned around for literally a couple minutes to clean up the counter, and she had already wolfed down her food, peed on the rug, and was sitting next to it looking up at me expectantly. I just don't understand why there would be such a change. We're going to have to get a crate for her during the day, but even if we use it for a while and all of her business is done outside, I don't see how that teaches her not to just poop inside whenever she feels like it - it seems like part of the training has to be to come tell us to let her out when she has to go, right?

Good for you for getting a crate. Part of housebreaking is developing a preference for voiding outside (which is where treats and praise for peeing outdoors comes in), and part of it is having the pup un-learn bad habits. Right now your dog is simply in the habit of voiding in the house. If the habit has become ingrained over a few months, it will likely take that long for the habit to be broken too. I generally advise for people to go full maintenance (crating, tethering or 100% supervision) until you've had zero accidents for a month. Once you've hit that month marker, you can slowly begin to relax your management. If you find an accident during that month, poo poo, bad owner, reset that month-long clock and start over from square one. It's tedious, but it's also a billion times better than having a dog that will piss and poo poo in your room.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't know if you're renting or what but my dog had more accidents than normal after a move and it turned out that the floor boards, kitchen island and steps were absolutely covered in dry piss from the old tenants.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
holy poo poo that dalmatian / blue heeler puppy is awesome

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I posted something similar in the mutts thread, but I thought I'd share my new addition here too because... well, it's been a long-rear end time since I owned a puppy and I'm sure I could use some advice.

My old awesome dog tess died recently. She was a pommy/something - tiny, friendly, and just the best dog. She was also 20 years old and very set in her ways. The wife and I were intending to wait a few more months and then look at rescuing an older dog.

Instead...

A friend of my brother was in a lovely situation where his living and working arrangements got suddenly, unavoidably changed. He had a 6-month-old dalmation / blue heeler puppy that couldn't go with him. I said I'd adopt the dog if he didn't immediately chase my cat. He pretty much ignored the cat in their test visit.

This is Karl, he is my dog now.

He's very chill for a puppy. He spends most of his inside time sleeping or just lying there, although he runs in that goofy puppy way in the yard and is a fast walker (doesn't pull much, is easily verbally distracted from pulling or stopping).

He wasn't trained, but knew Sit and Come, to an extent. He's scary smart though. In the last 48 hours, he's re-learned both of those to the point where I don't need to use hand gestures or treats, and has got Drop and (go to) bed right maybe 9/10 times.

I got him a (semi-prefab) dog house today since he's going to be sleeping outside. I was expecting problems with that, since my wife insisted on sleeping on the couch "to keep an eye on him" for the first two nights. There was no problem at all though!

I assembled the house, with Karl inspecting to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I got him to go in and out by showing him some kibble and throwing it in there a piece at a time. I thought he was reluctant to go in, but he was just looking behind the doghouse in case it'd gone back there before he used the door and went inside. I fed him in there tonight after his (3rd, huge) walk. Then after he fell asleep on his "bed" (blanket on the couch), I waited a little while, woke him up, took him and the blanket outside, put the blanket in the doghouse, and was getting ready to say "Bed!" when he looked at me, looked at the door, went in the doghouse, and fell asleep in roughly 30 seconds. He's still there. I've been out twice to move bins and grab a hammer I left outside and he hasn't stirred. I lucked out, right?

The only thing left that I'm worried about is how he and the cat are going to get along. Coco the cat was chill with old Tess, but isn't very happy about Karl. Karl seems scared of (or maybe worried by) Coco, which isn't too bad. They're being kept separate for now. Coco lies on Karls blanket while Karl is outside, Karl was given one of Coco's blankets to lie on. We've had a couple of supervised, leashed visits (with the pup tired out from walk/training) without any real drama - Coco hissed but didn't initially leave the room, while Karl backed up with his tail and head down, then Coco walked out and Karl watched her leave but didn't move and was then quickly and easily distracted.

There's toddler gates at the top of the stairs (3 stairs) up from the loungeroom which is the only way out to the doghouse, and another halfway up the hall to the bedroom which is Coco's safe room. Coco's able to get through the gates, Karl is not. Karl will be kept mostly in the loungeroom for now when he is inside. Coco will be confined to the bedroom while Karl is inside unless Karl is leashed and/or the loungeroom door (not just toddler gate) is closed. Karl will be outside if nobody is home, and Coco is an inside-only cat. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I should be doing to ease things out between them?

e: Also, he's housetrained, only seems to poop on his walks (awesome!), and does the same horrible farts that every blue heeler I've ever met does which I'm hoping to fix via diet.

That's a rad dog. I'm envious. I love my GSD, but that seems like a cool combo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What you have there is a reverse dalmatian.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tsyni posted:

That's a rad dog. I'm envious. I love my GSD, but that seems like a cool combo.

My absolute favorite breed is GSD (right behind blue heelers). My Oma had one when I was young, and so did a friend's family, and my old neighbours had an extremely friendly one who would bark when I came home and then lick the hell out of my face and hands when I leaned over the fence to show her it was me. My wife thinks they're a bit too big and strong though, so I'm probably not going to ever own one now. She was a bit iffy about Karl's size too, but when I showed her how easy it was get him to back off and not jump up (and the first time he sat in front of her on his own and did the "pat me" face) she came around, so maybe one day!

Dyna Soar posted:

holy poo poo that dalmatian / blue heeler puppy is awesome

Warbird posted:

What you have there is a reverse dalmatian.

He is awesome, but I'm thinking of him as an upgraded dalmation.

He slept all night without crying! When I went out this morning to bring the bins back and stuff he got up to say hello and then went back to bed. I think he likes his house.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
Help! My potty-trained puppy is having accidents in the house!

She is a 10 month old Toy Australian Shepherd. She's been housebroken since she was about 4 months old. All the sudden lately she will pee in the house when we're not looking.

This will be after having just come inside within about 30 min to 1 hour. It doesn't seem to be a medical issue as the accidents are very infrequent and no other signs of illness.

What I really don't get is that she used to cry and scratch at the bedroom door if she needed to go out. Now I'll be laying in the bed, no sounds, then I look up and there's pee on the floor.

Any advice?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's my two fellas. i guess their puppy would look kinda like that upgraded dalmatian, hah

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I picked up the new puppy! He's a Kelpie x Koolie.

Seems he's already housebroken, didn't make any fuss in the hour and half drive home, and spent his first night in front of the fire on a pillow he chose so we let him have without whining for his mum or anything, didn't flinch getting immunized and microchipped at the vets. All in all he's been a very good dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Blakles posted:

Help! My potty-trained puppy is having accidents in the house!

She is a 10 month old Toy Australian Shepherd. She's been housebroken since she was about 4 months old. All the sudden lately she will pee in the house when we're not looking.

This will be after having just come inside within about 30 min to 1 hour. It doesn't seem to be a medical issue as the accidents are very infrequent and no other signs of illness.

What I really don't get is that she used to cry and scratch at the bedroom door if she needed to go out. Now I'll be laying in the bed, no sounds, then I look up and there's pee on the floor.

Any advice?

UTIs can be common and difficult to spot sometimes. So, vet check may be in order.

Otherwise, back to housebreaking 101 for your dog. Crates, gates, scheduled bathroom breaks, 100% supervision, etc for 30 days straight while you break her of bad habits. If she has an accident, step up your management and restart the 30 day counter.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Going to take the dog to the vet as soon as I've been paid (next week) - she has a massive skin tag on her knee (and has had since before we got her from the rescue) but it's changed colour - it used to all be dark-brown/black skin and now it has paler sections with little moles on. I don't think it's been like this for long but I'll get it checked out sooner rather than later. She's an older dog and is quite lumpy, with a couple of them that we're keeping an eye/finger on, but they're mostly fatty lumps so we're not too concerned.

This however has changed very recently. (please excuse the plasterer's hands, I haven't put my hands in a vat of moisturiser yet since I got home.)

Bonus picture of her being caught licking the cupboard door (my partner is a messy cook)

edited to remove the side of the fridge with the pictures on. oops.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Sodacan
Dec 6, 2014

it's a nose, right? right?
Hey all, new owner anxieties here.

Last week my girlfriend and I adopted a dog (3.5yr old pittie mix, fairly newly spayed) from the shelter where we volunteer some weekends. We met her a month/month and a half ago and got to know her personality fairly well over our volunteer trips and walking her. We moved into a new apartment that allows dogs, and brought her home last Tuesday (8 days ago and counting now). She visited the vet two weeks ago and got a clean bill of health, except for being a bit underweight.

When we first brought her home she was fantastic: very people-oriented, just wanted your love and attention, etc. Absolutely food-motivated as well, but also thrilled to just be with people and ham it up with them. We've consistently gotten her out of the house 3-4 times a day to walk and exercise, and in many ways she is a dream: she came to us housetrained and has not had an accident, chews only what she's supposed to, has not barked a SINGLE time, and has been learning certain simple commands very well. Her only constant issues have been pretty poor leash manners (constant hard puller, very difficult redirection) and some hyperfocus on her surroundings at our expense as walkers.

The problems started a few days after she got home, and I can't tell how the various changes may or may not be related to potential causes. Those causes (so far as I can gather) include:
- we had a friend staying with us right after we moved in for the first several days she was with us, and his leaving means that she has had to go for longer periods alone in the apartment (though still only ~4 hours at a stretch)
- she very clearly has a hyperactive prey drive, and spotted a bigass groundhog living between our house and the next one, and for days her new favorite thing is to sit by a window and look out for it, getting visibly agitated every time she sees it
- it's a new apartment and we've only had her for a week, duh.
- she's been to the local dog park a few times, and while she's played very well with other dogs during her shelter time, she's met (mostly smaller) dogs who want nothing to do with her, or don't take kindly to her assertive playfulness. That's all fine, but I'm not sure she's used to being so roundly rejected when she wants to play.

The problems that may or may not be related to some or all of those causes? Well, she just seems overall to be less happy and interested in my girlfriend and I now, preferring to engage with her surroundings unless she thinks we have food. She has started eating LOTS of grass on walks and becoming obsessed with sniffing around it in ways she had not previously, and generally she has seemed more anxious, particularly when the groundhog has been around, but also occasionaly when smaller or other dogs show up. There's also been an increased amount of self-scratching and some biting/gnawing -- or at least it seems increased. She just seems to be less happy, more anxious, more removed, and less like the dog we met and brought home for the first few days.

I know that new dogs, particularly rescues, need time to decompress and get used to their surroundings, that personality changes are normal during that time, and we're well within that window. But I'm concerned that she seems to have regressed and become more stressed and anxious after those initial days of great behavior. Is that particular bell curve typical of newly homed dogs? The way I've read it, the anxiety starts immediately and improves steadily, rather than suddenly appearing a few days in. Does it regularly go this way as well? When should I start being concerned that I should be altering something in her environment to help, or should take her in for a checkup?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Kluliss posted:

Going to take the dog to the vet as soon as I've been paid (next week) - she has a massive skin tag on her knee (and has had since before we got her from the rescue) but it's changed colour - it used to all be dark-brown/black skin and now it has paler sections with little moles on. I don't think it's been like this for long but I'll get it checked out sooner rather than later. She's an older dog and is quite lumpy, with a couple of them that we're keeping an eye/finger on, but they're mostly fatty lumps so we're not too concerned.

This however has changed very recently. (please excuse the plasterer's hands, I haven't put my hands in a vat of moisturiser yet since I got home.)

Bonus picture of her being caught licking the cupboard door (my partner is a messy cook)

edited to remove the side of the fridge with the pictures on. oops.

it can't hurt to have a vet look at it. One of the things the vet is probably going to point out to you is that your dog is very over weight

Fat Jesus posted:

I picked up the new puppy! He's a Kelpie x Koolie.

Seems he's already housebroken, didn't make any fuss in the hour and half drive home, and spent his first night in front of the fire on a pillow he chose so we let him have without whining for his mum or anything, didn't flinch getting immunized and microchipped at the vets. All in all he's been a very good dog.

Kelpies and koolies are loving rad, I bet he's gonna be a super fun dog

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I picked up the dog yesterday. It's one year old, seems to already be house broken and trained to an extent. Took to me real well but it seems to never want to be left alone.

I got some toys to hopefully keep it entertained when I'm out but it doesn't seem to take to then well. And I've been putting him by himself for minutes at a time just to see how he does and seems to just be whining and pacing by the back door.

Any other ideas as far as dealing with sep anxiety cause if he can't handle a few minutes I wonder what'd happen during the work week.

Edit: left him alone for half an hour no worse for wear maybe I'm over worrying.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 12, 2016

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Ausrotten posted:

it can't hurt to have a vet look at it. One of the things the vet is probably going to point out to you is that your dog is very over weight

The vet will definitely be looking at it and probably removing it just to make sure. She is quite lumpy though (mostly fatty lumps and one we're keeping an eye on (vet didn't seem to think it was urgent to do anything about.))

Regarding her weight*: I have rewritten this because I felt I got a bit grumpy with you but I wanted you to understand how you came across when you said 'your dog is very over weight'.

You have no clue as to her circumstances, her age, her health, how much exercise she gets. You based 'very overweight' on one picture where she's hunched up because she knows she's being naughty. You can't see that she does have a tuck, that you can see the shape of her ribs, that she has a waist when viewed from above.

Just so you know her circumstances and can judge her a little better, she's over 11 years old, she was bred for years by her poo poo for brains owners who fed her crisps and other human food. She was a sausage when we adopted her, and was significantly overweight at the time.

Since then, she's been fed a good high protein/low filler diet, she's been exercised at least 3 times a day with a lot more on weekends or when I'm not working.

Because of the weightloss she's experienced since we got her a little over a year ago, combined with being bred, she's saggy. She has saggy boobs and loads of loose skin under her chin and round her ruff. She's a solid little monster, and if the vet tells me I need to put her on a diet, I will. She hasn't so far because she's happy with her weight and shape. Maybe she's being more generous because our dog is a pet and doesn't work, maybe not, but if she things Wraggler's weight's ok, then I think I'll listen to her.

*Yes, she could be thinner, I know that, but it's so not enough to warrant putting her on a diet.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 12, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hard to take this seriously with your delicious cake avatar. Does your dog eat cake as well?

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Hard to take this seriously with your delicious cake avatar. Does your dog eat cake as well?

Thanks for the oh-so useful post there, Tsyni. Really not sure what my avatar has to do with my dog's diet though, please feel free to explain why you felt it worth mentioning.

VVVV sarcasm and jokes are hard to spot in this place, apologies. She doesn't get human food though, much to her disgust :D

Honestly, every time we see the vet she gets weighed and I check whether or not she needs a diet for a bit...she's been fine so far :shrug: Also, perhaps people who don't know her circumstances should find out before passing judgement rather than saying something like that and demanding I chill out.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 12, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kluliss posted:

Thanks for the oh-so useful post there, Tsyni. Really not sure what my avatar has to do with my dog's diet though, please feel free to explain why you felt it worth mentioning.

It was worth mentioning because it was a joke. People get pretty tense in this thread some times. Dog people, hey?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kluliss posted:

Don't be touchy. Only reason why anyone mentioned anything was concern. Just :chillpill: just a hair not like anyone knows anything before you say it

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
chill dude. vets see morbidly obese dogs all the time (like people, most dogs are overweight) so they tend not to say much unless your pet is horrifically, grossly obese. plus owners tend to freak the gently caress out and get super defensive at the slightest implication that their dog is fat :) Yeah she's hunched in that picture but it's not her stomach that's making her look fat - that pic has a number of signs that indicate her being overweight. doesn't necessarily make you a bad owner, it happens to the best of us, but there are very simple steps you can take to get her to a healthier weight that don't hinge on exercising the christ out of an elderly dog. she's old, her history isn't the greatest, I get that. but that actually makes it MORE important to keep her trim, not less.

you can be defensive as gently caress and refuse to even consider reducing her food a tiny bit, or you can take steps to improve the health of your dog, either way it's no skin off my back.

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 13, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Ausrotten posted:

You can be defensive as gently caress and refuse to even consider reducing her food a tiny bit, or you can take steps to improve the health of your dog, either way it's no skin off my back.

Yeah you should do that. It won't kill your dog to reduce her food a bit. How much are you feeding her and what's her weight, just curious? She's definitely overweight and that, especially for an older dog, can be real loving awful on their joints and accelerate problems (same as in humans). As others have pointed out, a lot of vets won't say anything about weight unless the dog is a gigantic massive tubbo.

If you would like to start exercising her, swimming is a good low impact exercise for fat and/or old dogs, provided she likes water.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any hot tips on housebreaking a dog with separation/cage anxiety? Belle's previous owner would throw her in a cage for a while as punishment for doing her business inside. I've got her to be pretty good about 60-70% of the time and a her "brother" is visiting so the anxiety isn't too bad, but I'm still getting puddles. Crating her is more or less out of the question for the foreseeable future; she damages herself and the crate trying to get out and just pisses herself out of fear.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Sorry for being defensive when a random internet person went 'hey your dog's really fat' with no preamble and nothing to say why, especially since what I mentioned was a skin tag that had changed colour. Kinda wishing I'd never posted the silly picture. Figured that it would vaguely amuse people that she was licking a cupboard, but apparently I'm in the wrong forum for that. Maybe, Ausrotten, instead of just going 'wow that's fat' you could consider that the dog's owner might not respond the way you want (unless you want to piss people off) and consider saying something like 'can I ask about your dog's weight as she's showing signs of being somewhat tubby'...y'know, consideration for other people is a nice trait. You might not mind being spoken to that way, but I can think of a lot of people who'd consider the way you said that very rude.

I'd be interested to know what the signs are though? I will see if I can persuade her to stand in a way that I can get a decent picture of her too.

She's about...err...last weigh in was in march and she was 16.4kg iirc? We have recently had to change which food she's on so yes, it's possible she's put a little bit on. I did say she could be thinner, I just didn't think she was y'know, obese.

Even when we got her down to 15.4kg (her lightest, she hated us because all she wanted was food) she still took a large in a jumper/coat for winter - she's knee height on me and I am not tall. She also still had a fatty section below her neck, and loads of folds plus she had the skin rolls around her ruff and her armpits. She has gained some fatty lumps (as in the kind that older dogs get, we prod them regularly to make sure they're the same shape) in the last year too :/

I have reduced her food by half a cup (british, so a cup is an arbitrary unit holding approximately 1/4 of her daily food allowance.) she now gets 75% of the food she was getting before, which was the amount on the bag for a 15kg dog.

Hopefully she'll cope with the change without yelling at me because she's hungry.

As for exercise, I should be finished on my current jobs in a week so I'll have more time to spend with her and will be taking her to the seaside again - she won't swim because she hates being wet, but she likes to romp around the beach and climb rocks, plus it's about a 25m almost vertical set of steps up the cliffs to get back out again.

I really don't want to be a bad owner, you know?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ many of the frequent posters in this thread for some reason try to be as nasty as they can. there's a bunch of good advice, but it's generally said in a way to be sure to make you feel guilty or defensive :)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kluliss posted:

Sorry for being defensive when a random internet person went 'hey your dog's really fat' with no preamble and nothing to say why, especially since what I mentioned was a skin tag that had changed colour. Kinda wishing I'd never posted the silly picture. Figured that it would vaguely amuse people that she was licking a cupboard, but apparently I'm in the wrong forum for that. Maybe, Ausrotten, instead of just going 'wow that's fat' you could consider that the dog's owner might not respond the way you want (unless you want to piss people off) and consider saying something like 'can I ask about your dog's weight as she's showing signs of being somewhat tubby'...y'know, consideration for other people is a nice trait. You might not mind being spoken to that way, but I can think of a lot of people who'd consider the way you said that very rude.

I'd be interested to know what the signs are though? I will see if I can persuade her to stand in a way that I can get a decent picture of her too.

She's about...err...last weigh in was in march and she was 16.4kg iirc? We have recently had to change which food she's on so yes, it's possible she's put a little bit on. I did say she could be thinner, I just didn't think she was y'know, obese.

Even when we got her down to 15.4kg (her lightest, she hated us because all she wanted was food) she still took a large in a jumper/coat for winter - she's knee height on me and I am not tall. She also still had a fatty section below her neck, and loads of folds plus she had the skin rolls around her ruff and her armpits. She has gained some fatty lumps (as in the kind that older dogs get, we prod them regularly to make sure they're the same shape) in the last year too :/

I have reduced her food by half a cup (british, so a cup is an arbitrary unit holding approximately 1/4 of her daily food allowance.) she now gets 75% of the food she was getting before, which was the amount on the bag for a 15kg dog.

Hopefully she'll cope with the change without yelling at me because she's hungry.

As for exercise, I should be finished on my current jobs in a week so I'll have more time to spend with her and will be taking her to the seaside again - she won't swim because she hates being wet, but she likes to romp around the beach and climb rocks, plus it's about a 25m almost vertical set of steps up the cliffs to get back out again.

I really don't want to be a bad owner, you know?

Just dont take it personally, some times goons mean well but we say it nasty as gently caress.

Goons gonna be goons, and honestly the pet people can get quite pokey (myself included, ask me about vegan diets for dogs and watch me go into full meltdown)

The Amount on the bag usually sucks, and while cutting down an animals diet can make em moody and all, obesity can lead to serious issues.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i think at some point someone wished that my dog would die? that's kinda hard not to take personally, hah.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dyna Soar posted:

i think at some point someone wished that my dog would die? that's kinda hard not to take personally, hah.

Try being a multi-pitbull owner :smith::respek::smith:

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

Just dont take it personally, some times goons mean well but we say it nasty as gently caress.

Goons gonna be goons, and honestly the pet people can get quite pokey (myself included, ask me about vegan diets for dogs and watch me go into full meltdown)

The Amount on the bag usually sucks, and while cutting down an animals diet can make em moody and all, obesity can lead to serious issues.

you'd think I'd know better by now that goons will goon everything up >.<

yeah I never know whether the amount on the bag is for a sedentary dog or a dog that does huge quantities of exercise *shrugs* food's cut down anyway and I'm going to buy her some of the old food that was better anyway once I get paid :D the stuff she has now is good but not as good (And likely does contain more calories because of that.) just didn't have a choice due to my work being horribly seasonal :/

will see what happens. am still more concerned about the colour-changing skin tag than her weight though, but I'll talk to the vet about that too later this week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kluliss posted:

you'd think I'd know better by now that goons will goon everything up >.<

yeah I never know whether the amount on the bag is for a sedentary dog or a dog that does huge quantities of exercise *shrugs* food's cut down anyway and I'm going to buy her some of the old food that was better anyway once I get paid :D the stuff she has now is good but not as good (And likely does contain more calories because of that.) just didn't have a choice due to my work being horribly seasonal :/

will see what happens. am still more concerned about the colour-changing skin tag than her weight though, but I'll talk to the vet about that too later this week.

My vet, who is eccentric as gently caress and takes an inordinate amount of pride in a "good looking" (his words) spaying job, just literally clips em right off without even asking

Of course he is really good, but i still have this creepy feeling he has a creepy shrine of taxidermist pets.

Of course i have no way of actually knowing this, and he does a great job of stuff..

just a weird serial killer vibe

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
look, just because it isn't what you want to hear does not mean saying "your dog is very overweight" is cruel or rude. she has a very prominent layer of fat covering almost her entire body - it stands out in particular on her shoulders, hips, chest, neck, and croup. like dude... just feed her less, it really shouldn't be some big dramatic issue that warrants walls of text about how U DONT KNOW MAH DOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

look, just because it isn't what you want to hear does not mean saying "your dog is very overweight" is cruel or rude. she has a very prominent layer of fat covering almost her entire body - it stands out in particular on her shoulders, hips, chest, neck, and croup. like dude... just feed her less, it really shouldn't be some big dramatic issue that warrants walls of text about how U DONT KNOW MAH DOG

im gonna get you a "no fatties" shirt for your dog.