Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

There's plenty of barely running beater e30's that make it, your car will fit right in. I'll probably be driving the rusty, hail damaged E21. Fall date hasn't been discussed yet but last year it was early November.

Well if that's the case, keep me in the loop. I'll keep trucking on it, I'd love to take a trip in it and hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wear sunscreen.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Has any company finally solved the crucial worldwide crisis of what to use the second DIN slot for when sticking a single DIN radio in a car with a double DIN slot besides storing old CD cases?

Aftermarket stereo shopping and I can pick out a handful of okay single DIN radios but I can't find anything I like in double DIN.
Most are .5 DIN but it's still possible to find 1 DIN equalizers if you're into that kind of thing.

Those cubbyholes were mentioned but unless your dash has a huge slant to it or there's something that's an interference fit I find them to be effectively self-cleaning.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Adiabatic posted:

I'm actually gonna read this. From the blurb it sounds right up my alley.

Cool, lemme know what you think of it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

corn in the fridge posted:

Cool, lemme know what you think of it

And you don't even respond to me directly quoting it AND relating it to my posting. Hmph. I knew you were no good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Kimbo Slice not going all day anymore. :rip:

These guys need to be doing whatever steroids vince macmahon is doing. Dude is 70 and still rocking them.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

meatpimp posted:

And you don't even respond to me directly quoting it AND relating it to my posting. Hmph. I knew you were no good.

are you actually reading it or did you just Google a random quote also i don't see how what passage relates to your posting please elaborate!!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

are you actually reading it or did you just Google a random quote also i don't see how what passage relates to your posting please elaborate!!

Please tell me how I'd "Google a random quote" and end up with that passage. :rolleyes:

My posts are like the treads of time, wearing poo poo down.

Now, you contribute something other than snarky one-liners. :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

How dumb am I for looking at a vehicle that has 113k miles, the first 30k of which was as a rental? Because otherwise, it is pretty much perfect and my truck us pissing me off again.

What do I know? I bought an ex-cop car with 150K miles.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Could go for the "FREE BOX" + cupholder combo...

Or gauges.

In my 1-1/2 DIN RX-7, I have a Taurus pop-out cupholder in the 1/2 DIN "EQ" slot. I'm not a fan of drink cups right beside semi-expensive electronics, but RX-7s have no factory cupholders whatsoever, unless you have a passenger.
In my Crown Vic, I just have the usual DIN-sized poo poo pocket, which is generally empty in my case. If the whole thing was a pop-out "free box", that would be pretty cool, because anything small gets lost at the back of the pocket. Or falls out.

Tommychu posted:

Those cubbyholes were mentioned but unless your dash has a huge slant to it or there's something that's an interference fit I find them to be effectively self-cleaning.

Yeah, that.

edit: Oh, cool, they do make a single DIN drawer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...h1TD0OF&vxp=mtr

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 7, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Part of the issue is I'm OCD as hell when it comes to car stereos and any sort of modification has to match the interior. Something like that Free Box stuff would irrationally drive me up the wall because it doesn't really match the rest of the interior.

It's honestly gotten to the point where I've thought of gutting the tape deck and putting something in its place to tie into the existing buttons and wiring. I need help.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of double dins, are there any good one with android auto that does not end up costing half of what the drat car is worth?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of double dins, are there any good one with android auto that does not end up costing half of what the drat car is worth?

Depends on the car, right? I wish I could justify a Dynavin for my e46 but I just can't do it. I think it's WinCE based too :laffo: but still the best option for a double-din radio that doesn't require you to cut the HVAC ducting behind the head unit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kimbo305 posted:

Do you guys recognize this?:

I didn't, and burned the poo poo out of my finger poking the tip. I guess it's an antenna for something?
Probably shouldn't be on an airport gate counter where someone could touch it.

1/4wave UHF or 1/2W 800Mhz mag mount antenna, probably 10W mobile radio powered. I assume its a mobile repeater for those handheld radios on the other side of the monitor.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Four days left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game, everyone. I have only 35 responses so far, which is a little disappointing considering the last edition had 56. More responses makes the end result better and more hilarious. Come play today!

BraveUlysses posted:

Depends on the car, right? I wish I could justify a Dynavin for my e46 but I just can't do it. I think it's WinCE based too :laffo: but still the best option for a double-din radio that doesn't require you to cut the HVAC ducting behind the head unit.

There are a couple of Android-based head units for the E46 that are supposedly pretty decent, Eonon makes one for example, which has better hardware specs than the Dynavin and is something like half to a third of the cost.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DJ Commie posted:

1/4wave UHF or 1/2W 800Mhz mag mount antenna, probably 10W mobile radio powered. I assume its a mobile repeater for those handheld radios on the other side of the monitor.

Should it be operating that hot, or did I luck into an abnormal state on it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

I hate to be that guy that one-ups, but have you tried dealing with Freecycle? Put up an ad donating something and you'll get 200 begging emails wanting it in perfect condition, delivered at a specific time. Take the ad down and you'll get 150 nasty emails about how you gave it to the wrong person and they're more deserving. When someone comes to pick it up (if they do) they'll eye up literally everything you own and ask if it's either included or available.

It's actually easier to sell something on gumtree than give it away on freecycle, I stopped using it a couple of years ago for those reasons.

Holy poo poo, gently caress that noise.

Still not as good as the guy who tired to Jesus-Guilt me into dropping $4000 off the selling price of my truck though!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kimbo305 posted:

Should it be operating that hot, or did I luck into an abnormal state on it?

It should not be operating that hot, no.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

Part of the issue is I'm OCD as hell when it comes to car stereos and any sort of modification has to match the interior. Something like that Free Box stuff would irrationally drive me up the wall because it doesn't really match the rest of the interior.

It's honestly gotten to the point where I've thought of gutting the tape deck and putting something in its place to tie into the existing buttons and wiring. I need help.

Lemme ask you this, do you listen to most of your music on your phone? Why not Bluetooth -> amp and bypass headunit in that case?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Coredump posted:

Lemme ask you this, do you listen to most of your music on your phone? Why not Bluetooth -> amp and bypass headunit in that case?

Would the head unit be needed for the phone functions (make/end calls, work as a mic)?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Pioneer has an awesome double din unit for $100. Its goofy looking but owning an android phone I almost never have to touch it. Start up the car and the bluetooth starts playing my last google play song automatically. I only have to touch it to switch sources or change volume.

edit: FH-X700BT no longer manufactured what the crap

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrChips posted:

Four days left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game, everyone. I have only 35 responses so far, which is a little disappointing considering the last edition had 56. More responses makes the end result better and more hilarious. Come play today!

There are a couple of Android-based head units for the E46 that are supposedly pretty decent, Eonon makes one for example, which has better hardware specs than the Dynavin and is something like half to a third of the cost.

Tons of complaints about that one and all the android based ones, not even gonna consider buying a vaporware head unit.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I dunno where to post this, but the chat threads seem to move quickly so at least a few people might see this.

This showed up in a driveway about halfway between my apartment and my office a few days ago.

(if the phone numbers are hard to read, they are 416 657 1106 and 416 558 9512)
I'm basically advertising for a complete stranger here, I don't know this person and I don't know anything about this car other than it's parked in a driveway on Columbia Street in Waterloo, Ontario. I think the zip-tie on the grill is a nice touch.

Somebody should Roadkill-style Roadtrip this thing. The Canuck-buck is weak against the mighty American greenback at the moment, so one of you lunatics could pick this thing up cheap and drive it the long (loooong) way home. I suggest naming it "The Great White North".

EDIT: I can't find an internet advertisement for this anywhere, and I have no idea what price the seller might be asking. Call and find out!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

So how about a factory Nissan head? Clarion internals on par with most of what you'd find on a shelf (and they tend to get along with aftermarket speakers pretty well), easily aux-modded (or if you find a newer 2din one, aux is right there) and they all look subdued and, well, stock. Drawbacks being the wonky way they're backlit (dimmed on the ground side but switched on the positive), no pre-outs and the fact that you've got to make a bracket. That's what I did with the Kia.
Or eBay for older Blaupunkt stuff if their current line doesn't do anything for you?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 8, 2016

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I put the freebox/cupholder combo in my Cruiser to fill the gap left by the factory am/fm radio, it's kinda crappy but beats jamming drinks down the side of the handbrake lever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

I'll get in there soon. Maybe tonight.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh yeah, had an allergic reaction to my allergy therapy shot and had to go to an urgent care clinic. Pretty scary going from normal one minute to shortness of breath and hives all over in another.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So the security guard I hired can't manage the one thing I asked him to do in order to keep his job, which is be available when called and don't disappear. It's almost impossible to get fired here and this dude is managing to accomplish it and I really don't want to go through the hiring process again god dammit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Coredump posted:

While I do use Bluetooth occasionally I actually just chuck everything on a SD card and listen through that. The sony touch screen unit I had in my SVX did bluetooth flawlessly (and it was the only thing it did to well), but the Blaupunkt unit I have really makes the USB work better if you organize the folders by genres like I do.

Tommychu posted:

So how about a factory Nissan head? Clarion internals on par with most of what you'd find on a shelf (and they tend to get along with aftermarket speakers pretty well), easily aux-modded (or if you find a newer 2din one, aux is right there) and they all look subdued and, well, stock. Drawbacks being the wonky way they're backlit (dimmed on the ground side but switched on the positive), no pre-outs and the fact that you've got to make a bracket. That's what I did with the Kia.
Or eBay for older Blaupunkt stuff if their current line doesn't do anything for you?

I'm ultimately probably going to bite the bullet and get another Blaupunkt Toronto although they discontinued the 420 and the 440 is like $330 before shipping from Germany. Utimately this ended up being a pointless exercise unfortunately as I just discovered its possibly to unlock the driver side door with my mail box key so shoving in pricey stereo units isn't high on the priority list

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

Pioneer has an awesome double din unit for $100. Its goofy looking but owning an android phone I almost never have to touch it. Start up the car and the bluetooth starts playing my last google play song automatically. I only have to touch it to switch sources or change volume.

edit: FH-X700BT no longer manufactured what the crap

I actually have that same head unit sitting on my desk. Got it as a "don't think it works, hooked it up wrong and didn't get sound, yours for the cost of shipping" radio (it worked fine when I tested it), I just haven't gotten around to tracking a trim ring or a mounting kit.

It's not a bad head unit. A little goofy looking, but it's decent, and actually has radio preset buttons (something my current DEH-X8600BH lacks, and not having them drives me crazy).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh yeah, had an allergic reaction to my allergy therapy shot and had to go to an urgent care clinic. Pretty scary going from normal one minute to shortness of breath and hives all over in another.

I was given a prescription and told to carry an epi-pen with me when I was on allergy therapy. Never had to use it luckily, but it's definitely a possible effect unfortunately.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

leica posted:

So the security guard I hired can't manage the one thing I asked him to do in order to keep his job, which is be available when called and don't disappear. It's almost impossible to get fired here and this dude is managing to accomplish it and I really don't want to go through the hiring process again god dammit.

Do not underestimate security ninjas or their ability to accidentally turn a two-way radio off. Set out a tray of slightly-wilted sandwiches near the closest break area and hide nearby; he will materialize every single time like magic. As to impossible-to-fire; ask me about a superstar who lit up a bowl in a room with an extremely sensitive particulate sniffer fire system fully knowing the system was present and how it worked, and still did it despite having ample opportunity to walk back to the forty acres of free space/woods behind the building in question. Then, imagine that he had several on-record instances of suspected pot usage on the job and also consider how the supervisor who responded to the fire alarm and who cancelled the fire department response got there fast enough to smell the reeking smoke and take him immediately to HR. Now take a deep breath, close your eyes, and picture HR pussyfooting for a week because ~compassion~ before terminating him.

Yes I work in Security in a supervisory role, kill me now :guinness:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

meatpimp posted:

Please tell me how I'd "Google a random quote" and end up with that passage. :rolleyes:

My posts are like the treads of time, wearing poo poo down.

Now, you contribute something other than snarky one-liners. :colbert:

Good i hope you enjoy it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Good i hope you enjoy it

I've tried with you, I really have. However, you've shown yourself to be nothing but a low-effort troll.

Im sure everyone will be glad to know that the mole i had removed was completely benign so i will continue to live and post with you all

A troll that is so sad irl that he posts personal information in a desperate, misguided attempt to have some human compassion thrown his way.

You're sad, corn, but I'm done trying to engage in anything having to do with you other than mockery.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ExecuDork posted:

I suggest naming it "The Great White North".

The more obvious name for that is Moby Dick :dong:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Before I venture into SCHC, what's my best recovery option or flash bootable disk tool for Windows 10? I think my boot SSD poo poo the bed

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Do not underestimate security ninjas or their ability to accidentally turn a two-way radio off. Set out a tray of slightly-wilted sandwiches near the closest break area and hide nearby; he will materialize every single time like magic. As to impossible-to-fire; ask me about a superstar who lit up a bowl in a room with an extremely sensitive particulate sniffer fire system fully knowing the system was present and how it worked, and still did it despite having ample opportunity to walk back to the forty acres of free space/woods behind the building in question. Then, imagine that he had several on-record instances of suspected pot usage on the job and also consider how the supervisor who responded to the fire alarm and who cancelled the fire department response got there fast enough to smell the reeking smoke and take him immediately to HR. Now take a deep breath, close your eyes, and picture HR pussyfooting for a week because ~compassion~ before terminating him.

Yes I work in Security in a supervisory role, kill me now :guinness:

Haha wow.

Yeah this guy is a habitual pot smoker too and smells like skunk weed most of the time. I honestly wouldn't even care about that if he just did his loving job, but when you work with the police on almost a daily basis you would think one would not want to be stoned and smelling like dank nuggets, but that's just me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Before I venture into SCHC, what's my best recovery option or flash bootable disk tool for Windows 10? I think my boot SSD poo poo the bed

Are you trying to create a new boot disk?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Somebody please talk me in/out of this 540i wagon:

I've been looking at buying a beater wagon for a while as my only car is a fairy small coupe and this just popped up, and now I'm thinking to trade my S2 in for this plus the beater budget and buy a different impractical car further down the line :homebrew:

edit: it has the 6 speed manual and every available option

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Don't buy it, let me buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Actually never mind, I don't live in Poland

• Locked thread