Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Nah, you gave a really pathetic half-assed "I'm sorry if you were offended" and then started flinging your poo poo at everyone who looked at you funny, hooting and shrieking the whole time.

He's not trolling. He's legitimately that stupid and thin-skinned.

also the whole NUH UH YOU'RE THE MEANIES thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Protip: if you're trying not to look like an rear end in a top hat, using the term "spaz" doesn't help your case any.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

He's not trolling. He's legitimately that stupid and thin-skinned.

Part of me wants people to shut up and stop baiting Hermetic so he stops making GBS threads up the thread, but part of me wants to see him humiliated by his own privilege, thoughtlessness, and arrogance over and over.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'd call hermetic the shittiest of the shitbags himself but i'm afraid he'd smugly fake-call me out for insulting his proud race of shitbags unfairly.

What's the acceptable term, differently shitted?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hermetic posted:

Nah, I said sorry once, and some spaz poo poo on that, so now I'm just warning better people of the shitbags in the thread. Must be awful to be angered by something that minor. And I never said anything about "PC Police", just a couple of lovely morons who think that typing on a computer screen should mean that talking civilly about poo poo goes right out the window. :)

In summation, back off and get to laughing at neo-reactionaries. Thanks for your compliance, friendo.

If we're gonna get pissy about people using mental illness to describe stuff, could you not use suicide for your concern trolling. As a suicidal depression survivor that's kinda lovely. Tia god bless, take your own advice, etc. :3:

It's not concern-trolling. I have an autistic relative who I personally had to talk out of suicide. A good part of it was that he believed he was incurably 'lesser' and would be unable to improve his life beyond its then-pretty-lovely state - and that since being autistic made him a bad person, he deserved to fail. This wasn't stuff he'd come up with on his own. This was a result of being exposed to years of anti-autistic prejudice on the Internet, and reacting poorly when he himself was diagnosed. Suicide watch is basically the worst possible way to spend your time, and I'd prefer if as few people as possible had to engage in it.

People are getting mad at you because the sort of poo poo you're saying has consequences, and you're responding by being a smug, condescending rear end in a top hat. Either gently caress off or try posting less awfully.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hermetic posted:

Nah, I said sorry once, and some spaz poo poo on that

Stepping out on a limb here because I have no desire to go back and reread your terrible posts, but from what I can recall you have never actually apologized to anyone. I'm sure you think you've done a plausible job, but you're always doing that dance where you couple a weasel worded fake apology with hostility and whining about how awful everyone else is. That is not what real apologies look like, you are not fooling anyone (except maybe yourself, if you are that dim, and I suspect you are).

I'm sure you'll now wriggle around and find a way to be even more of a shithead, that seems to be your go-to move, that'll show 'em champ, do it

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'd call hermetic the shittiest of the shitbags himself but i'm afraid he'd smugly fake-call me out for insulting his proud race of shitbags unfairly.

What's the acceptable term, differently shitted?

Man, you are like a dog with a bone. Please get off the internet until you can control your temper tantrums. Tia.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's not concern-trolling. I have an autistic relative who I personally had to talk out of suicide. A good part of it was that he believed he was incurably 'lesser' and would be unable to improve his life beyond its then-pretty-lovely state - and that since being autistic made him a bad person, he deserved to fail. This wasn't stuff he'd come up with on his own. This was a result of being exposed to years of anti-autistic prejudice on the Internet, and reacting poorly when he himself was diagnosed. Suicide watch is basically the worst possible way to spend your time, and I'd prefer if as few people as possible had to engage in it.

People are getting mad at you because the sort of poo poo you're saying has consequences, and you're responding by being a smug, condescending rear end in a top hat. Either gently caress off or try posting less awfully.

Nah. I tried apologizing and got it thrown back in my face, so smugness now and smugness forever. Sorry about your relative, though. That's a legitimately lovely thing to happen to a person and they have my sympathy. Depression and suicidal thoughts suck, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Realtalk, though, shut up.

BobHoward posted:

Stepping out on a limb here because I have no desire to go back and reread your terrible posts, but from what I can recall you have never actually apologized to anyone. I'm sure you think you've done a plausible job, but you're always doing that dance where you couple a weasel worded fake apology with hostility and whining about how awful everyone else is. That is not what real apologies look like, you are not fooling anyone (except maybe yourself, if you are that dim, and I suspect you are).

I'm sure you'll now wriggle around and find a way to be even more of a shithead, that seems to be your go-to move, that'll show 'em champ, do it

Gosh you must win because you care so little. Gosh, so cool so wonderful. Wow.

I said "Yikes, sorry about that." No weasel words.

Next time care enough to not be a dumb rear end in a top hat. Or don't. I don't care.

Hermetic has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Jun 8, 2016

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Please stop replying to Hermetic in any capacity. The sooner everybody lets him feel like he "won" by getting the last word, the better.

This is some kind of 4chan version of namedropping, I assume? Or does it mean something else that renders the whole argument even more stupid?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hermetic posted:

Man, you are like a dog with a bone. Please get off the internet until you can control your temper tantrums. Tia.

Nah. I tried apologizing and got it thrown back in my face, so smugness now and smugness forever. Sorry about your relative, though. That's a legitimately lovely thing to happen to a person and they have my sympathy. Depression and suicidal thoughts suck, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Realtalk, though, shut up.

Gosh you must win because you care so little. Gosh, so cool so wonderful. Wow.

I said "Yikes, sorry about that." No weasel words.

Next time care enough to not be a dumb rear end in a top hat. Or don't. I don't care.

Connor: Why do I need to pray to the kike on the pike?
Thomas: Because ((His disciples)) civilized your people, bringing them monogamy.
Shannon: Monogamy is the only way I want to reproduce, thank you ((Jesus)).
Sean: Thank ((Jesus)) for cities and chainmail, I am glad that we’re not using stone tools in between bashing each other’s brains out with clubs
Thomas: Don’t you mean sending each other’s souls to Heaven?
Sean: Of course. When I die I’ll get to see Grandma again :)
Megan: I am glad that my future husband won’t be mauled in the wars we used to constantly fight.

— sunday school, ca. 1000

Kevin: I am glad ((Jesus)) taught us to accept these poor migrants.
Ikechukwu: ooga booga
Kelly: *giggle*
Kayleigh: and I’m glad that ((Jesus)) taught us to accept homosexuals, if I was a homosexual I would want to ((love)) others in the way that I was born to
Ogechukwukana: OOGA BOOGA OOGA BOOGA
Thomas, Ph. D: Please understand, children, that while we have made great progress in ((the Lord)), we must not then turn around and ignore the superior culture of our equals who are here to stay with us permanently.
Brian: yes, ((Jesus)) is great, take my land, it isn’t mine anyway, it’s ((God’s)) green Earth.

— sunday school, ca. 2000

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Because it's fair to dogpile on someone if they've earned it: I'm also autistic, and using that as an insult is, believe it or not, kind of bigoted, and defending it and attacking anyone who calls you out makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Fake edit for content:

Our future technocratic overlords will save us with cold logic. Racist cold logic.

It turns out Skynet is okay with white people posted:

Borden and her friend were arrested and charged with burglary and petty theft for the items, which were valued at a total of $80. Compare their crime with a similar one: The previous summer, 41-year-old Vernon Prater was picked up for shoplifting $86.35 worth of tools from a nearby Home Depot store. Prater was the more seasoned criminal. He had already been convicted of armed robbery and attempted armed robbery, for which he served five years in prison, in addition to another armed robbery charge. Borden had a record, too, but it was for misdemeanors committed when she was a juvenile.

Yet something odd happened when Borden and Prater were booked into jail: A computer program spat out a score predicting the likelihood of each committing a future crime. Borden — who is black — was rated a high risk. Prater — who is white — was rated a low risk.

Two years later, we know the computer algorithm got it exactly backward. Borden has not been charged with any new crimes. Prater is serving an eight-year prison term for subsequently breaking into a warehouse and stealing thousands of dollars’ worth of electronics.

Scores like this — known as risk assessments — are increasingly common in courtrooms across the nation. They are used to inform decisions about who can be set free at every stage of the criminal justice system, from assigning bond amounts — as is the case in Fort Lauderdale — to even more fundamental decisions about defendants’ freedom.
The score proved remarkably unreliable in forecasting violent crime: Only 20 percent of the people predicted to commit violent crimes actually went on to do so.

We also turned up significant racial disparities... In forecasting who would re-offend, the algorithm made mistakes with black and white defendants at roughly the same rate but in very different ways.

*The formula was particularly likely to falsely flag black defendants as future criminals, wrongly labeling them this way at almost twice the rate as white defendants.
*White defendants were mislabeled as low risk more often than black defendants.

So how racist will Roko's Basilisk be? I'm not trolling with that question; this is a legitimate problem. An "objective" rating system for criminals is exactly the sort of rationalist dystopian policy you'd expect to be dreamed up by starry-eyed techno-libertarians.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hermetic posted:

u mad bro?

e: also because im SO FROTHINGLY MAD GOSH DARN apparently I went and looked it up, and you actually said

Hermetic posted:

Yikes, I guess I offended some people.

Sorry about that.

Which is definitely a weasel-worded fake apology, which you then followed up with, in order, concern trolling, smug condescension, smug dismissive condescension, concern trolling, smug condescension, and the line "I'd apologize, but that just makes people madder, I think." which kinda sums up everything nicely.

Anyway go ahead and respond to this to get your ~last word~ and pat yourself on the back for winning or whatever I'm done.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jun 8, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Heresiarch posted:

Please stop replying to Hermetic in any capacity. The sooner everybody lets him feel like he "won" by getting the last word, the better.

This is some kind of 4chan version of namedropping, I assume? Or does it mean something else that renders the whole argument even more stupid?

Not trying to get the last word you absolute failure of a human being, just increasingly tired of poo poo people in an otherwise lovely thread who are determined to rage at someone for literally nothing.

And, to answer the actually-relevant part of your post, "namefagging" is a term they use for people who have the audacity to use the name settings on 4chan, voluntarily giving up their anonymity. Basically, having a set identity on an chan is seen as offensive and wanting to be a unique snowflake.

Yeah, it's pretentious as hell while being ridiculously childish. 4chan is startlingly good at pulling of that seemingly paradoxical combination of lovely things.

Speaking of childish...

Actually, yeah. I'm mad that you're being an immature brat. Could you please chill? Thanks.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I foresee a day when Hermetic has every person in the thread on his ignore list because they didn't tell him he was a good boy and excellent poster

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It is also, in my opinion, an absolutely excellent example of a neurotypical cis straight white male "ally" losing his poo poo and lashing out at any minority who dares disagree with him.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hermetic posted:

Not trying to get the last word you absolute failure of a human being, just increasingly tired of poo poo people in an otherwise lovely thread who are determined to rage at someone for literally nothing.

And, to answer the actually-relevant part of your post, "namefagging" is a term they use for people who have the audacity to use the name settings on 4chan, voluntarily giving up their anonymity. Basically, having a set identity on an chan is seen as offensive and wanting to be a unique snowflake.

Yeah, it's pretentious as hell while being ridiculously childish. 4chan is startlingly good at pulling of that seemingly paradoxical combination of lovely things.

Speaking of childish...

Actually, yeah. I'm mad that you're being an immature brat. Could you please chill? Thanks.

If a girl gets pregnant to a rapist, that does not necessarily prove she had an orgasm, but it does prove she rather liked the rape and the rapist, and very likely had an orgasm.

The cervix is normally closed. If closed, those sperm are not going anywhere.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If a girl gets pregnant to a rapist, that does not necessarily prove she had an orgasm, but it does prove she rather liked the rape and the rapist, and very likely had an orgasm.
Please link to Galen's twitter.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, I can't think of anything whiter than Dr. Who. I think he's had sex though.

Phil is gonna DESTROY these guys:
http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/author/phil/tardis-eruditorum/

The alt-right is trying to co-opt the hero of their biggest enemy at the moment.

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jun 8, 2016

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

It is also, in my opinion, an absolutely excellent example of a neurotypical cis straight white male "ally" losing his poo poo and lashing out at any minority who dares disagree with him.

This is a spot-on observation but I'd like to bring something up and hopefully do it in a way which will lead to something useful and not more noise, and as a related follow up to the Uncle Tom/quisling/useful idiot discussion.

I have a pretty strongly divergent neurology myself, although not on the autistic spectrum, so I understand that I may be coming at this from a bad direction. If I step in it, assume I misstepped in an attempt to start an honest and productive dialogue and wasn't trying to stir any poo poo.

That said: I really, really dislike the way that the word "neurotypical" is used by some (much?) of the autistic spectrum community, including people I consider friends and allies. I fully understand the intent of the term, in the same way that "cis" is merely a way to say "not trans", but in my experience it's being used very commonly (but not exclusively) as a pejorative and not merely a descriptor. It reminds me uncomfortably of the way that SF and related fandoms often refer to non-fans as "mundanes" or "normies" or something as a way to feel superior to those people who had typically mistreated them.

You probably didn't intend to use it this way in your post, but in the larger context it can easily be misinterpreted that way by somebody who's seen how the term is often used. My personal, immediate reaction to your use of the term was strongly negative and I had to step back and parse out exactly why.

I feel like the term has been unintentionally damaged, that it is now loaded with unintended negative connotations and may need to be discarded in favor of something else, preferably something that doesn't contain an inherent value judgement like the word "typical" embedded in it.

But since I am not actually part of the spectrum community, and have only been able to observe this use of language from the outside, I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on this.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

Phil is gonna DESTROY these guys:
http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/author/phil/tardis-eruditorum/

The alt-right is trying to co-opt the hero of their biggest enemy at the moment.

Doctor Who actually aligns quite well with far-right thought, especially the neoreactionaries with their obsession on being the smartest guy in the room.
although that can be said about most of sci-fi and fantasy fiction, it is made to be projected upon

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hermetic stop making GBS threads up the thread

Heresiarch posted:

In the context used, it would mean publishing work to get your name out there, especially to the detriment of teaching or whatever else you might be doing in academia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

This is a spot-on observation but I'd like to bring something up and hopefully do it in a way which will lead to something useful and not more noise, and as a related follow up to the Uncle Tom/quisling/useful idiot discussion.

I have a pretty strongly divergent neurology myself, although not on the autistic spectrum, so I understand that I may be coming at this from a bad direction. If I step in it, assume I misstepped in an attempt to start an honest and productive dialogue and wasn't trying to stir any poo poo.

That said: I really, really dislike the way that the word "neurotypical" is used by some (much?) of the autistic spectrum community, including people I consider friends and allies. I fully understand the intent of the term, in the same way that "cis" is merely a way to say "not trans", but in my experience it's being used very commonly (but not exclusively) as a pejorative and not merely a descriptor. It reminds me uncomfortably of the way that SF and related fandoms often refer to non-fans as "mundanes" or "normies" or something as a way to feel superior to those people who had typically mistreated them.

You probably didn't intend to use it this way in your post, but in the larger context it can easily be misinterpreted that way by somebody who's seen how the term is often used. My personal, immediate reaction to your use of the term was strongly negative and I had to step back and parse out exactly why.

I feel like the term has been unintentionally damaged, that it is now loaded with unintended negative connotations and may need to be discarded in favor of something else, preferably something that doesn't contain an inherent value judgement like the word "typical" embedded in it.

But since I am not actually part of the spectrum community, and have only been able to observe this use of language from the outside, I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on this.

I don't really see how it matters, since they're all words for describing ways in which I'm not at a disadvantage. Does it bother you when gay people talk about breeders, or when black people generalize about white people? They're not talking about me personally, so why should I be offended?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't really see how it matters, since they're all words for describing ways in which I'm not at a disadvantage. Does it bother you when gay people talk about breeders, or when black people generalize about white people? They're not talking about me personally, so why should I be offended?

Well, I think his problem is more the suggestion that by not being 'typical' the person is therefore a kind of freak.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Edit: Post is not preview.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

fatherboxx posted:

Doctor Who actually aligns quite well with far-right thought, especially the neoreactionaries with their obsession on being the smartest guy in the room.
although that can be said about most of sci-fi and fantasy fiction, it is made to be projected upon

He does spend a lot of time showing up and toppling corrupt governments, often monarchies and evil capitalists. In the 80s, one of the writers wanted to use it to bring down Thatcher. Phil and his associates see The Doctor as a revolutionary figure.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

He does spend a lot of time showing up and toppling corrupt governments, often monarchies and evil capitalists. In the 80s, one of the writers wanted to use it to bring down Thatcher. Phil and his associates see The Doctor as a revolutionary figure.

hahaha
Phil is usually brilliant but not when he decides to write about Doctor Who.
Thats okay, everyone has blindspots and weaknesses.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

In the 80s, one of the writers wanted to use it to bring down Thatcher.

And then they actually wrote that storyline in a few years back where the Doc destroys the Prime Minister's career in six words.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Heresiarch posted:

Oh no, I absolutely agree with this. I actually lingered on what term to use for a while, but since he said he had issues with depression before "non-disabled" wasn't accurate.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Tesseraction posted:

And then they actually wrote that storyline in a few years back where the Doc destroys the Prime Minister's career in six words.
They should try that again, with six other words and a more recent politician.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

chrisoya posted:

They should try that again, with six other words and a more recent politician.

But "You hosed a dead pig" is only five words.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

djw175 posted:

But "You hosed a dead pig" is only five words.

The meme is DCFADP (David Cameron hosed a Dead Pig).

Of course, in question form and matching the Doctor Who plot, it would be him leaning in to the cop's ear and going "Did he really gently caress a pig?"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alas, nobody proposed a showrunner position to Charlie Brooker

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Charlie Brooker has spent the past 8 or so months looking feverishly through his rejected Black Mirror scripts for the secrets of Time itself.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh no, I absolutely agree with this. I actually lingered on what term to use for a while, but since he said he had issues with depression before "non-disabled" wasn't accurate.

Autistic people are perfectly welcome to their own version of kill whitey as long as I still get to call people cishet scum :shobon:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think my favourite one was "Would you like some tissues for your cissues?"

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Glad someone quoted this so I could see it.

Don't ever call me straight you ridiculous, shambolic excuse for a person, or make assumptions about my race.

loving bigot trash.

Tesseraction posted:

I think my favourite one was "Would you like some tissues for your cissues?"

Goddamn it, even with the gay history of snappy one-liners we will never have anything that cool.

Hermetic has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jun 8, 2016

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hermetic posted:

Glad someone quoted this so I could see it.

Don't ever call me straight you ridiculous, shambolic excuse for a person, or make assumptions about my race.

loving bigot trash.

Goddamn it, even with the gay history of snappy one-liners we will never have anything that cool.

dsyp

E: edited that one quickly

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

dsyp

E: edited that one quickly

Nah, if this thread's going to have callouts, then it's going to have callouts. Don't start backpedaling now when someone you like fucks up.

Though I am amused you wimped out on whatever you originally said. Can't even stand by your own lovely insults without panicing? :smug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm guessing he wrote "dsyp" (don't sign your posts) when "loving bigot trash." was the last line of your post, and adding in your reply to me ruined his setup.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

I'm guessing he wrote "dsyp" (don't sign your posts) when "loving bigot trash." was the last line of your post, and adding in your reply to me ruined his setup.

I assumed it was "don't poo poo your pants", like he was telling me to calm down.

LOL I love that the narrative has gone from "he said something kinda bad and gave an INSUFFICIENT APOLOGY :qq:" to calling me a bigot after assuming a bunch of wrong poo poo about my orientation, gender, race, etc. as a way to insult me.

That idiotic hypocrisy right there? That's the alt-right's broken clock moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Welp, that's quite the meltdown.

re: neurotypical

I'd never considered the term before, but Heresiarch makes some p. good points; even leaving aside the insulting use in some circles, I think it's also not great in that it implies that there's only one way to be neuro-atypical (autism), when that's really obviously not the case.

I have some autistic acquaintances that use "allistic" to describe people who don't have autism.