Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I don't think it's fair to compare Reigns vs AJ to AJ's matches in Japan, because NJPW has horrible booking (especially in match) and also almost every match is the same and can only be saved by the individual efforts of the workers in question. I realize that seems like a crazy critique compared to WWE and also I do love NJPW, but god drat look it's another match where the heels are interfering freely right in front of the referee and he doesn't give a poo poo oh look how evil the bullet club are they have a ladder and the referee doesn't care oh no AJ Styles has won how dastardly *repeat for 50 years*

oh wow both men dove back in the ring at a count of 19!!! and there's cody hall lurking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah those Roman vs AJ matches had zero interference and weren't overbooked at all.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

ROMAN REIGNS IS TEARING THESE FORUMS APART

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ThePariah posted:

Yeah those Roman vs AJ matches had zero interference and weren't overbooked at all.

There's a difference between interference and overbooking in the main events and NJPW having seemingly every match involving a heel have constant interference and weapon usage directly in front of the referee.

It's like attitude era WWE except in a promotion with work rate. It's loving weird

And the overbooking definitely took the first AJ/Roman match down a notch and there's no way it was better than his Japan stuff anyway

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Marquis de Pyro posted:

There's a difference between interference and overbooking in the main events and NJPW having seemingly every match involving a heel have constant interference and weapon usage directly in front of the referee.

It's like attitude era WWE except in a promotion with work rate. It's loving weird

And the overbooking definitely took the first AJ/Roman match down a notch and there's no way it was better than his Japan stuff anyway

I was a bit too snarky, I agree with you that New Japan's booking of interference is pretty inept. I also thought that the first Roman/AJ match was hurt by booking, but in both matches, the quality of the work from both men shone through anyway. A lot of it was AJ working his rear end off to sell for Roman and make him look good, but Roman clearly put in good work, as well. Roman's a good worker with flaws, and while the top tier of New Japan talent is better than him, I think he's on the level workers like Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata (the latter of whom is infinitely cooler than Roman).

AJ vs Suzuki for the record was AJ's best match in Japan and a better match than any Roman's ever had.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Roman has potential but the WWE way of developing guys does him no favors. AJ Styles feud helped him though. They should be on their hands and knees thanking Styles. He'll probably be the first new Smackdown champ for his efforts.

That's in the ring he has potential anyway. On the mic...yeesh. Not sure there's any hope there.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
That AJ feud was really good because it looked like Roman gave a poo poo and him doing staredowns and brawling with people are really the only times when his character is good.

This Rollins feud is garbage because it looks like he's just bored with Seth Rollins, his "brother" who betrayed him, stole his WM 31 moment in front of his family, and chumped him at ER.

edit: I am generally ok with Roman's ring work and not really impressed with anyone else as a total package. Rollins or Ambrose could be babyface champs and it would be ok I guess. Just put the belt on Enzo though.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 8, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman already beat Seth easily so he has nothing to prove

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
He isn't good, he isn't bad, he is the

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Roman isn't terrible, he needs a lot of work on the mic and his in-ring work is improving, but this run is absolutly 100% tainted and there is no saving it. The crowd DESPISES him and there is no way to turn it around without a heel turn. They ruined this thing at the start like with The Rock's early face run but unlike that they seem dead set on keeping him face no matter what and that is a recipe for this to be Diesel 2.0.

Have him drop the belt, turn heel and work the upper midcard for a bit while AJ/Owens/Sami holds the belt. Give him a cool feud with a face that he wins and then organically work him back into the title picture when his mic skills have improved.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

We've had 10 pages of discussion and now I'm going to chime in and make it official: No, OP, he's not good.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Roman has the worst ring entrance in the company.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

cronox2 posted:

Roman has the worst ring entrance in the company.

This is also 100% true. Dude needs new music ASAP. He's retroactively ruined the Shield theme.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Have him drop the belt, turn heel and work the upper midcard for a bit while AJ/Owens/Sami holds the belt. Give him a cool feud with a face that he wins and then organically work him back into the title picture when his mic skills have improved.

I don't even think you need to have him drop the belt. Just switch him to an entitled heel. All he needs to do is go out and cut a You People Promo and then continue to do everything the same (except without the lovely babyface promos that he sucks at anyway) because he's already smug heel as gently caress.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mons Hubris posted:

We've had 10 pages of discussion and now I'm going to chime in and make it official: No, OP, he's not good.

Roman is good but wrestling is bad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

He's not NOT good, OP if thats what you're asking.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Go RV! posted:

I don't even think you need to have him drop the belt. Just switch him to an entitled heel. All he needs to do is go out and cut a You People Promo and then continue to do everything the same (except without the lovely babyface promos that he sucks at anyway) because he's already smug heel as gently caress.

A pretty interesting idea I heard for his turn would be if he totally just embraced the boos and made it a part of the turn. Like he comes out one night when there's an assload of Anti-Reigns signs and everyone is booing and have him yell at Vince or Cole or whoever to turn down the crowd mics and start confiscating signs that mock him at the gate. Turn him into that sort of early Angle thing where he's activity angry he's being booed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Turn Roman heel and also don't give him a mic all the time.

Basically the AJ Styles NJPW treatment.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's good.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I won't respect Roman Reigns until he defeats John Cena, the Face that runs the Place.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Just counted the posts and it looks like Roman Reigns is Good!

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Yes Roman Reigns is good. :smugdog:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golashes posted:

Just counted the posts and it looks like Roman Reigns is Good!

Duh

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

If he wasn't good he wouldn't be champ obvs

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Before Maryse came back I thought it would have been a good idea to turn Roman heel and pair him up with Eva Marie.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Roman is good..... For nothing!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

That DICK! posted:

Roman is good..... For nothing!

Nothing but **** matches.

***1/4 if he's having a bad day.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ok, who does Roman pick when he plays Overwatch?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

roman picks reinhardt because he is strong and cool and carries his team to victory

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Bastion, because he gets more hate than he deserves.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Roman plays Genji because it truly is One Versus All.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

ThePariah posted:

Bastion, because he gets more hate than he deserves.

Can't be Bastion because unlike Roman sniping at him from afar is actually an effective strategy to stop him.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Turn Roman heel and also don't give him a mic all the time.

Basically the AJ Styles NJPW treatment.

aj did plenty of promos in njpw

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

MassRafTer posted:

Nothing but **** matches.

***1/4 if he's having a bad day.

I'm starting to think that meltzer might be wrong sometimes.

oh, rovert, perhaps you are right to question

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Time for Roman to cut that drat hair.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Roman seems like a Soldier 76 guy to me

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

smell this posted:

Time for Roman to cut that drat hair.

He needs to shave those drat sideburns!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Reinhardt also has a spear type move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

He picks McCree, because even though everybody bitches and complains about him, he's still the best and handsomest.

• Locked thread