Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Warcabbit posted:

It's worse than that. Apparently, female body armor does not fit well, which is why she wears the old lady coats - it's boxy, not form fitting at all.
That's nonsense, video games have taught me that female body armor actually covers much, much less of a woman's frame than men's armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Boon posted:

So what's the chances of a Trump meltdown as the increased scrutiny of the GE ramps up. I don't mean quibbling mess, but unforced error after unforced error in a similar vein as the last couple of weeks but on repeat.

High enough you won't make money betting that it will occur. Considering Romney/Ryan had that issue and then before that you had McCain/Palin, people who were actually liked and wanted to succeed. Trump is even more thin skinned than Palin, more out of touch then Romney, and didn't have the virtue out being a veteran or the GOP brain trust to offset.

He's a walking gaffe factory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/740568867559198726

*crumples up Strippr app proposal*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Aaron Schock showed up for the Modi speech in Congress today, presumably hoping to get tips on how to redesign his new office in a British Raj motif.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

We're going to get to watch Hillary Clinton debate Donald Trump. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this.

I have been trying and trying to imagine what these debates will be like and my mind just refuses to process it. Like I can't get any further than imagining them standing at the podiums and then my brain just shuts down.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bushiz posted:

"She's not as bad as a guy who stole 100 million dollars, a robot made of money, or the literal avatar of american extravagance" isn't a strong argument.

In a first past the post system it is

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/740324633279356928

Yikes

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

It's worse than that. Apparently, female body armor does not fit well, which is why she wears the old lady coats - it's boxy, not form fitting at all.
https://twitter.com/mightygodking/status/740398118190108673

(MightyGodKing still awesome)

Eh, I don't care about the jacket really (aside from that $12K is stupid even if you are wealthy, but then I'm just kinda cheap), or anything else she wears, but I'd never really thought about body armor either.

What I do take issue with is calling it sexism. It's not sexism for a product to simply not exist because of low demand. Most wearers of body armor are men, thus most body armor is designed for men. Body armor for women may be kinda poo poo and relatively expensive because it's kind of a low volume specialty thing that maybe all the same design work hasn't gone into for those reasons. And if she can spend $12K on a jacket, she can afford to have high quality custom armor made. Being more critical of her appearance than a man is sexism, her body armor being unflattering isn't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Warcabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/mightygodking/status/740398118190108673

(MightyGodKing still awesome)

That's weird, you'd think by now the secret service would've gotten a vest made for someone they've protected for decades (and will protect for decades to come) or that Clinton might decide "gently caress it if I have to spent 5-6 figures to get armor that isn't cumbersome poo poo I will" at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, I don't care about the jacket really (aside from that $12K is stupid even if you are wealthy, but then I'm just kinda cheap), or anything else she wears, but I'd never really thought about body armor either.

What I do take issue with is calling it sexism. It's not sexism for a product to simply not exist because of low demand. Most wearers of body armor are men, thus most body armor is designed for men. Body armor for women may be kinda poo poo and relatively expensive because it's kind of a low volume specialty thing that maybe all the same design work hasn't gone into for those reasons. And if she can spend $12K on a jacket, she can afford to have high quality custom armor made. Being more critical of her appearance than a man is sexism, her body armor being unflattering isn't.

You've just described the difference between ad hoc and systematic cultural sexism.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

ReidRansom posted:

That overlooks the question of why there are so many more men in body-armor-demanding professions than women. (It's because of traditional gender roles.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

But women love Donald, he says so all the time.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

AtraMorS posted:

That overlooks the question of why there are so many more men in body-armor-demanding professions than women. (It's because of traditional gender roles.)

Even with this being true, what percentage of, say, police officers are women? Even with the inequality I would not be surprised if it is ~15 or ~20%. I would assume that PDs make up a large chunk of bulletproof vest buyers. That would still seem like a market worth trying to corner. So if vest makers truly are not making vests for women that doesn't even sound like solid economics.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Re: jacket talk: shut up

Edit: it stopped after like 5 pages. God is great

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's weird, you'd think by now the secret service would've gotten a vest made for someone they've protected for decades (and will protect for decades to come) or that Clinton might decide "gently caress it if I have to spent 5-6 figures to get armor that isn't cumbersome poo poo I will" at some point.

Body armor is always cumbersome poo poo, it won't work otherwise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VanSandman posted:

Body armor is always cumbersome poo poo, it won't work otherwise.

A custom vest that lets her dress like someone other than Doctor Evil would probably be less cumbersome. :shrug:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

You've just described the difference between ad hoc and systematic cultural sexism.

AtraMorS posted:

Fair enough, though it feels like a strain to say she's suffering from sexism in that particular respect. Point stands, the lady can afford custom fitted armor if she wants to look less boxy. I have no opinion on how she presents herself, boxy, not boxy, don't care.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

I have been trying and trying to imagine what these debates will be like and my mind just refuses to process it. Like I can't get any further than imagining them standing at the podiums and then my brain just shuts down.

Posted this on Facebook and someone immediately replied with a link to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwAyvoGLu0

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i want to weigh in on the jacket

its good

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Perhaps some kind of force-field solution might be better?

edit:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Raerlynn posted:

Yuuuuge.

No seriously that's a shaky slippery slope there. Just because she would not have been as generous in her negotiating does not mean there will be an automatic cessation of diplomatic activity. Especially since the direct result was to cause the price of oil, and by extension gasoline, to drop to almost pre recession levels. There is no basis to make that claim at this time.

At the time Hillary made it pretty clear she was still on Israel's side and believed Iran was going to violate the deal. Obama wants to trust Iran, Hillary did not. Maybe the gas thing has changed her mind, but I think it's likely she would prefer to not encourage more deals and just wait for Iran to screw up, rather than find means to improve relations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Freakazoid_ posted:

At the time Hillary made it pretty clear she was still on Israel's side and believed Iran was going to violate the deal. Obama wants to trust Iran, Hillary did not. Maybe the gas thing has changed her mind, but I think it's likely she would prefer to not encourage more deals and just wait for Iran to screw up, rather than find means to improve relations.

On the other hand, she's been vocal in her support of the Iran deal vis-a-vis Trump. It was one of the bigger notes in her foreign policy speech, that she supported the diplomatic efforts that stopped Iran from developing nuclear weapons without firing a shot, then suggesting that Trump would have started a shooting war with Iran instead.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ReidRansom posted:

Fair enough, though it feels like a strain to say she's suffering from sexism in that particular respect. Point stands, the lady can afford custom fitted armor if she wants to look less boxy. I have no opinion on how she presents herself, boxy, not boxy, don't care.

But she does tend to wear those boxy coats, and it does seem to add up. Maybe the insert plates aren't made form fitting? It's still interesting, like when you catch... was it Obama and the seam in the back of his jacket?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Being cynical != actively hoping for breakdowns in negotiation.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Warcabbit posted:

But she does tend to wear those boxy coats, and it does seem to add up. Maybe the insert plates aren't made form fitting? It's still interesting, like when you catch... was it Obama and the seam in the back of his jacket?

There was the thing with George W. Bush when he debated John Kerry in 2004.
Obviously the bulge was a secret earpiece system that allowed Karl Rove to feed Bush answers through on live television.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

Don't recall. But I do remember suitghazi when he wore tan, haha.

He pulled it off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Obviously the bulge was a secret earpiece system that allowed Karl Rove to feed Bush answers through on live television.

Oh god I remember all that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, she's been vocal in her support of the Iran deal vis-a-vis Trump. It was one of the bigger notes in her foreign policy speech, that she supported the diplomatic efforts that stopped Iran from developing nuclear weapons without firing a shot, then suggesting that Trump would have started a shooting war with Iran instead.

I thought most of what credit she claimed regarding Iran was the imposition of sanctions. Granted, I don't think she's going to be blowing up the JPOA on January 21 but "I negotiated sanctions" isn't the same as supporting the nuke deal. I bet it'll come up during the campaign and her response will be a measured "I had reservations initially but given the progress shown by Iran I think the agreement has been an overall positive development. While I certainly imagine I would have done it differently that wasn't my call to make at that time and when I am president I have no intention to roll back any of the progress made during this administration" or something along those lines. Basically "I came around and saw the light."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think she might take a harder line with Iran but there's a lot of space between that and "works actively to undermine the Iran deal in order to create a cassus belli and slake her thirst for Muslim blood"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is Trump doing better than Obama '12 with any demographics? I'm guessing uneducated white men, but can't see why he'd do noticeably better with any other.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Does anyone have video or transcript of Nina Turner last night? I was watching till after Bernie spoke but must have missed her meltdown where Rachel Maddow and the biggest forehead in the world guy expressed conerns for her mental health.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Munkeymon posted:

Is Trump doing better than Obama '12 with any demographics? I'm guessing uneducated white men, but can't see why he'd do noticeably better with any other.

White men and maybe certain subcategories of white women. I think that's it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

What the gently caress does female body armor even mean? Nothing about wearing body armor is form fitting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Hard to blame people for thinking that, given the ineptitude of his answers.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jarmak posted:

What the gently caress does female body armor even mean? Nothing about wearing body armor is form fitting.
In video games, female body armor is form-fitting and revealing. They must think real life is like this.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Thaaat's what I meant. Clearly body armor that was partially unbuckled, I think.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jarmak posted:

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clinton might decide "gently caress it if I have to spent 5-6 figures to get armor that isn't cumbersome poo poo I will" at some point.

"What a hypocrite! Wearing a 5 figure bullet proof vest while giving a speech in inequality" :argh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mia Love is the only Republican in the House willing to honor Ali.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Majorian posted:

Hard to blame people for thinking that, given the ineptitude of his answers.

What a long strange trip it's been. It's kind of wild how he was President.

• Locked thread